PDA

View Full Version : Sirius XM to Release iPhone Accessory Receiver Next Week?

MacRumors
Aug 20, 2009, 09:46 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/08/20/sirius-xm-to-release-iphone-accessory-receiver-next-week/)

Satwaves reports (http://satwaves.com/blog/2009/08/20/sirius-xms-game-changer-is-about-to-rock/) that satellite radio company Sirius XM will be releasing a dock connector accessory receiver for the iPhone and iPod touch at a media event next Wednesday, allowing access full Sirius XM service via their devices.Sources familiar with the situation are now confirming that Sirius XM will be unveiling the iPhone/iPod Touch accessory docks that I speculated about three months ago this Wednesday, August 26th. Sirius XM will be hosting a special invitation only media event in New York that day to show off their new products to be available this holiday season. The invitation reads: "View the new lineup of radios and accessories from Sirius XM for the home, office, vehicle and beyond."Satwaves points to a posting (http://www.xmfan.com/viewtopic.php?t=104961) at XMFan showing a diagram of the accessory, which will reportedly be called the "XM SkyDock".The XM SkyDock is a docking station for your iPod Touch or iPhone that turns it into a SATELLITE XM Radio receiver! Included is an XM antenna, power cord (also featuring the new transmitter technology), and docking station that turns your iPod/iPhone into an actual XM Satellite Radio receiver using the SiriusXM app. This may be the biggest breakthrough in satellite radio technology to date, and could possibly bring in millions of additional subscribers. This SKYDock kit is expected to sell for less than $100.

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2009/08/20/223847-xm_skydock.jpg

The XM SkyDock accessory will reportedly utilize the Sirius XM Premium Online iPhone application initially released in June (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/06/18/sirius-xm-for-iphone-arrives-in-app-store/) as an interface for the satellite service.

Article Link: Sirius XM to Release iPhone Accessory Receiver Next Week? (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/08/20/sirius-xm-to-release-iphone-accessory-receiver-next-week/)

Balty
Aug 20, 2009, 09:48 PM
Interesting... it could really be useful...

Rayfire
Aug 20, 2009, 09:49 PM
This does sound promising, accessories made for the iPhone is getting bigger and bigger.

crisss1205
Aug 20, 2009, 09:55 PM
I would definitely consider buying this!

Jeff321
Aug 20, 2009, 10:19 PM
Interesting. I still think their subscription fees are too high though.

webworks415
Aug 20, 2009, 10:29 PM
useless if they dont enable Howard Stern and other channels blocked on their app.

butchseaman
Aug 20, 2009, 11:36 PM
I dropped my sirius account because they wanted an additional $2.99 a year when i had 3 different accounts. That was just getting too much ....:mad:

rth231
Aug 21, 2009, 12:24 AM
Wait... 100 dollars plus 9.99 a month so I can have commercial free music when I could just load up my iPod/iPhone with whatever music I want?

Enjoy bankruptcy. No jokes, I'm being sirius.

Rychiar
Aug 21, 2009, 12:35 AM
im failing to see the point here. can't ya just listen to it all via 3G right now without the reception hassle of a satellite receiver?:confused:

SpaceKitty
Aug 21, 2009, 12:40 AM
im failing to see the point here. can't ya just listen to it all via 3G right now without the reception hassle of a satellite receiver?:confused:

Read the first post again, it says it will allow FULL accsess to all the Sirius/XM channels. Right now not all the channels are available on the Sirius/XM app.

MacFly123
Aug 21, 2009, 12:42 AM
All I can say is I would surely not invest in this company or its ideas! :rolleyes:

steve knight
Aug 21, 2009, 12:53 AM
I could see it if it was portable. but if it is only for home or car use why over a stand alone radio?

weing
Aug 21, 2009, 01:22 AM
No Howard . No Sale.

soundsgoodtome
Aug 21, 2009, 04:16 AM
No Howard . No Sale.

The Pocket Tunes app for iPhone already has SiriusXM AND Howard. I love it.

UnseenLlama
Aug 21, 2009, 05:31 AM
I'll laugh when this accessory ships before TomTom's...:p

siriusfan123456
Aug 21, 2009, 06:10 AM
If I'm able to connect my Iphone to a Sirius Sat., (using the new Skydock), then I'm only a heart beat away from being able to search the "Web" using that same Sirius Sat.
Let's go one step further......If I can use my Iphone to search the "Web", (using the Sirius Sat.), then I can use it for VoIP.

NO MORE AT&T.
I'll save $100 a month on phone charges!!
My first phone call will be to cancel my account with AT&T

TraceyS/FL
Aug 21, 2009, 06:25 AM
If I'm able to connect my Iphone to a Sirius Sat., (using the new Skydock), then I'm only a heart beat away from being able to search the "Web" using that same Sirius Sat.
Let's go one step further......If I can use my Iphone to search the "Web", (using the Sirius Sat.), then I can use it for VoIP.

NO MORE AT&T.

Ummm. But that antennae is ONE WAY, so you would need to phone up your request, then get it down.... very slight chance of that EVER happening, and not cheaper than AT&T (have you ever priced HUghes Net sat internet?). Now, they might be able to add a feed of their website pretty easy.

What ever happened to Sat TV thru them? Is that still going on? Now that, i could be pretty darn excited to get portable.

But, i like the concept of this....

E.Lizardo
Aug 21, 2009, 07:18 AM

NO MORE AT&T.

Not happenin.Ever.

CaryMacGuy
Aug 21, 2009, 07:33 AM
In order for me to consider buying it, the following would need to happen...
1. Release new software that gives it the play/pause skip forward and backward functionality.
2. Make it so when Satellite signal fades (in a tunnel, garage, under trees) it will automatically switch to a cell signal.

boxstboy
Aug 21, 2009, 07:40 AM
No Howard . No Sale.

Why would you think Howard Stern wouldn't be on this? It turns your iphone into a regular SXM receiver.

I can't see many people buying this. Most people have SXM in their car and most people who use it portable listen through the data network without fussing with accessory addons. They should just improve their online app. The music quality total blows at 32K.

GoCubsGo
Aug 21, 2009, 07:44 AM
No Howard . No Sale.

Why would you think Howard Stern wouldn't be on this? It turns your iphone into a regular SXM receiver.

I can't see many people buying this. Most people have SXM in their car and most people who use it portable listen through the data network without fussing with accessory addons. They should just improve their online app. The music quality total blows at 32K.

This loyalty to Howard Stern is amazing. However, if he isn't on it now how would this accessory suddenly bring him to the iPhone app?

In order for me to consider buying it, the following would need to happen...
1. Release new software that gives it the play/pause skip forward and backward functionality.
2. Make it so when Satellite signal fades (in a tunnel, garage, under trees) it will automatically switch to a cell signal.
I agree. I have no use for this as I have it in my car already, but that is a good idea.

webworks415
Aug 21, 2009, 08:10 AM
this is just their way of getting you to buy their hardware in order to enjoy their full channel lineup....they could easily include Howard and the excluded sports channels on the iPhone app....so they make you buy something extra to get those, so they profit off it. well i dont even touch my stilleto anymore...i listen to Stern through StarPlayr and download the shows i miss....might not renew once my sub is up.

powerpanik
Aug 21, 2009, 09:14 AM
yet another blunder in a series... why would you spend $100 to add functionality to your iphone, that you could get by buying a $50 radio? this won't increase subscriptions or sales. if this was portable that would be a completely different story. spend $20 and download pocket tunes and save yourself a headache.

i had the sirius stiletto 2, they sent me 6 different units in a year after each one crapped out after about 2 weeks of use. eventually the warranty ran out and they refused to help, even though the company acknowledged this was a widespread problem.

once stern leaves, this company will collapse (even more than it already has)

yukong
Aug 21, 2009, 10:17 AM
The Pocket Tunes app for iPhone already has SiriusXM AND Howard. I love it.

How can you get the SiriusXM howard show when it isn't available with the SXM app?

xmit
Aug 21, 2009, 10:48 AM
And then give me a discount for not helping to pay for his big pay check.

cmschmidt
Aug 21, 2009, 11:18 AM
How can you get the SiriusXM howard show when it isn't available with the SXM app?

pockettunes is a different app. it has the ability to access the SiriusXM internet feed that you can get on a full computer provided you have an online listening membership. the full internet site does not block the Stern channels unlike the iPhone app and you, therefore, have full access to all the channels. It's great, highly recommended if you want stern

soundsgoodtome
Aug 21, 2009, 11:26 AM

I don't know. Ask Pocket Tunes.... I wrote a scathing note to Sirius/XM after their app came out, then I read about Pocket Tunes on some blog. I was skeptical, because it didn't seem to make sense. But finally, I bought it and was blown away. The full Sirius/XM channel lineup is on Pocket Tunes, including Howard. There's a 5-10 second delay from my other Sirius receivers.

LOVE IT.

soundsgoodtome
Aug 21, 2009, 11:33 AM
pockettunes is a different app. it has the ability to access the SiriusXM internet feed that you can get on a full computer provided you have an online listening membership. the full internet site does not block the Stern channels unlike the iPhone app and you, therefore, have full access to all the channels. It's great, highly recommended if you want stern

What he said. :-)

Yeah -- Pocket Tunes simply accesses Sirius/XM's internet feed. You'd think Sirius/XM would try to block it (and they probably have), but it's an internet feed -- accessible from any web browser (by paying subscribers). So, technically, I guess Pocket Tunes is just a specialized "browser." Nothing Sirius/XM can do, except cancel their internet feed -- which would cause subscribers to leave.

boxstboy
Aug 21, 2009, 11:35 AM
This loyalty to Howard Stern is amazing. However, if he isn't on it now how would this accessory suddenly bring him to the iPhone app?

Because the satellite antenna leads me to believe that this accessory turns your iphone into a regular SXM receiver, as opposed to using your data connection. I don't think this is related to the current app, unless they modify it to use the accessory as opposed to the data connection.

nhecke
Aug 21, 2009, 12:48 PM
This sounds cool!
I listen to howard with the WunderRadio.app... $10

But, even if I didn't have Howard, I still get the best two music channels ever made!! (Grateful Dead Channel 32 and JamOn 17!!)
The audio quality does kind of suck on the SiriusXM app though...

I would like Howard to be in the offical app... But again I dont have a subscription for Howard... I have it for the two best music channels ever made!!!

When the Sirius app came out I cancelled my radio subscription and went internet subscription only... I'm sure lots of people did this and they are trying to get them back. This might just do it for me....

yg17
Aug 21, 2009, 12:55 PM

NO MORE AT&T.

Wow, what have you been smoking? That is not ever going to happen. Never.

mrr
Aug 21, 2009, 12:55 PM
Wow if they can make this peripheral,

why in the hell can't someone make a simple friggin' EXTERNAL KEYBOARD for the iPhone!?

kingtj
Aug 21, 2009, 01:15 PM
The new car I purchased back in March came with 3 months of a free trial subscription to Sirius/XM. I played around with it, and quickly discovered the sound quality was pretty poor. I'd rate it somewhere between listening to an AM radio station and FM stereo. Playing a music CD in the car was FAR superior. Most annoying thing was the "artifacts" in the sound you could hear, due to them over-compressing the signals. It sounded just like a really low bitrate MP3, where even announcers speaking would have that slightly "metallic" sound to their voices and so forth.

If it was cheap enough, I *might* have subscribed just to say I had it, and to have stations that don't cut out when you drive long distances... But their regular price is way too high for what you get out of it.

When my trial was about a month from expiring, they started calling my cellphone constantly, too, trying to sell me on subscribing. I got harassed at work, late at night, etc. Telling them repeatedly that I wasn't interested didn't phase them. Someone else would call again the next day.

So then I let it expire, and all of a sudden, I start getting postcards in the mail offering me big discounts if I re-subscribe. (And I *love* how they "generously" offer to waive my re-activation fee of $14.95 too, considering I never activated anything in the first place!) So finally, I think I may take them up on a $77/yr. offer they sent, only to find out that they now have "royalty fees" tacked on that they supposedly can't waive, so it's really more like $90 with those added in. Doesn't say that on the card anyplace! So yeah, I told them to shove it....

All I can say is I would surely not invest in this company or its ideas! :rolleyes:

reckless2k2
Aug 21, 2009, 01:38 PM
The adapter will cost $199. *insert evil scientist laugh ah la tomtom*

diamondcutter
Aug 21, 2009, 02:20 PM
:mad: dont' forget that when you purchase this new attachment to use the sirius sattilite that they will charge you another $6.99 per month for an additional reciever just like they do if you go to best buy and purchase an actual radio. It sounds good that you will be able to actually use the sattilite but i promise you they will hit you for another 6.99 a month. I would bet money on this. Watch as my prediction comes true and more subscribers are alienated. Just get pocket tunes and be happy with is already out there.

binaryskies
Aug 21, 2009, 02:23 PM
Sirius is alright, my mom has it.. but in my mind.. it's too much money. Especially when there are apps like Pandora out there, for free.

richmonddjs
Aug 21, 2009, 02:28 PM
:pI don't know. Ask Pocket Tunes.... I wrote a scathing note to Sirius/XM after their app came out, then I read about Pocket Tunes on some blog. I was skeptical, because it didn't seem to make sense. But finally, I bought it and was blown away. The full Sirius/XM channel lineup is on Pocket Tunes, including Howard. There's a 5-10 second delay from my other Sirius receivers.

LOVE IT.

Basically what pocket tunes does to get sirius xm channels is they have written a translation code from the sirius login page on a computer to make it accesable to the iphone. Like if you go on Safari and go to sirius.com and try to login with your account username and password you can login but you get no audio. The iphone doesn't recognize the audio stream format.

HOWEVER, if you download pocket tunes you are basically doing the same thing but PT has written the app in a manner where the iphone recognizes the audio stream format therefore you can hear it audibly on the iphone.

now, back to this dock. Unless it does something absolutely wonderful or better than my 1/8 inch line cord connected from my 3gs to my 1/8 aux. jack to the radio in my car, my ac to dc 12 volt converter to plug my 3gs so it's powered and charges at the same time, I see it as useless.

6ft. stereo 1/8 inch to 1/8 inch male cable: 7.99 (at radio shack)
100 watt power inverter for car: 14.99 (Target)
total 25.00 with tax.

I saved 74.99.
:p

diddy
Aug 21, 2009, 02:57 PM
I could see myself transferring my Starmate 4's subscription to this receiver, if for no other reason than it would negate half of the mess of wires in my car right now.

2 problems though: I would really miss artist alert, and navigation + Sirius XM would be out of the question (sans jailbreak).

yg17
Aug 21, 2009, 03:34 PM
:mad: dont' forget that when you purchase this new attachment to use the sirius sattilite that they will charge you another $6.99 per month for an additional reciever just like they do if you go to best buy and purchase an actual radio. It sounds good that you will be able to actually use the sattilite but i promise you they will hit you for another 6.99 a month. I would bet money on this. Watch as my prediction comes true and more subscribers are alienated. Just get pocket tunes and be happy with is already out there.

Uh, yeah, that's standard practice. This is an extra receiver and they charge you for it, why would you expect anything different?

There are many reasons why this is better than streaming with Pocket Tunes.

slu
Aug 21, 2009, 04:45 PM

So much THIS. Sirius doesn't let you do anything without an additional monthly fee. In fact, they like to take things away that used to be included in the price and then charge extra for it. Sirius content is very good. It is in no way worth what they think it is per month though. They should not have wasted money on all the crap celebrity stations/shows nobody listens to like Jamie Fox, Tony Hawk, Bam Margera, Oprah, etc. and just kept the prices down. Howard is overpaid, but at least he brings in subscribers. Nobody subscribes for Martha Stewart Radio.

I am glad I am not renewing when my year is up in Dec.

kenwimer
Aug 21, 2009, 05:49 PM
I have xm service to two devices and also enjoyed the free internet based streaming. THEN they introduced their iphone app and now to have internet service and use the app I would have to pay 2.99 under a "premium" package. meh.

I'm pretty sure that this antenna will be another "device" and won't even be as cheap as 2.99 to add - probably more like 6.99 or more monthly. I have to admit having an iphone screen instead of all of these other crappy hardware interfaces would be nice though.

I'm still totally cancelling xm. Too many other ways to get content without xm's crappy subscription models.

kornyboy
Aug 23, 2009, 06:33 AM
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A400 Safari/528.16)

This would be a very nice accessory for the car. Bring it on.

siriusfan123456
Aug 23, 2009, 08:41 AM
Wow, what have you been smoking? That is not ever going to happen. Never.

It appears to me that many bloggers are pretty upset with SiriusXM. I can appreciate that. The SirusXM App without full access is useless.
I happen to like Sirius, (Howard Stern is not the center of my world). I subscribe to Sirius because of the business/financial programming. As a "Trader", access to CNBC/Bloomberg is essential.
The "Skydock" would be a welcome addition to my tool box if it does something innovative....like, allow "web" access using their satellite system.
Apples Iphone is an example of thinking outside the box...Sirius needs to do the same.

unr1
Aug 24, 2009, 07:12 AM

NO MORE AT&T.
LOL you're dreaming.

vassillios
Aug 24, 2009, 07:45 AM
Kind of a pointless device really. Do they expect me to carry this thing around with me all the time? Makes the iPhone app kinda pointless.

yg17
Aug 24, 2009, 07:58 AM
It appears to me that many bloggers are pretty upset with SiriusXM. I can appreciate that. The SirusXM App without full access is useless.
I happen to like Sirius, (Howard Stern is not the center of my world). I subscribe to Sirius because of the business/financial programming. As a "Trader", access to CNBC/Bloomberg is essential.
The "Skydock" would be a welcome addition to my tool box if it does something innovative....like, allow "web" access using their satellite system.
Apples Iphone is an example of thinking outside the box...Sirius needs to do the same.

The Sirius satellites are not technically capable of providing web access or anything else besides streaming audio. Satellites are purpose built, you just can't take a satellite in orbit and radically change its function.

thecartoonguy
Aug 24, 2009, 08:37 AM
No Howard . No Sale.

I may need your insight. I only heard a few minutes of Howard Stern, and I have yet to understand why so many people like him. Did I not listen enough? What are the reason for this following?

sishaw
Aug 26, 2009, 10:35 AM

Pockettunes also gives you hundreds, if not thousands, of Internet radio stations. Highly recommended if you like music, public radio, or just about anything. Pockettunes and some portable speakers=endless hours of listening pleasure! In addition to anything Sirius/XM gives subscribers over the Web feed.

sishaw
Aug 26, 2009, 10:41 AM
Kind of a pointless device really. Do they expect me to carry this thing around with me all the time?

It's for cars, where most people use sat radio, and possibly for the home. I already have an XM receiver with a cradle and all that stuff, but if I didn't, this would (possibly, if it would receive all the channels and not be crippled) be very tempting.