PDA

View Full Version : I'm getting a bunch of eMacs from my workplace for $50/ea.

hierobryan
Aug 21, 2009, 02:14 AM
I think they're the top of the line eMacs, with the following specs:

17-inch CRT 1280 x 960
1.42GHz G4 Processor
512MB PC2700 (333MHz) DDR RAM
160GB HDD
SuperDrive (2.4x DVD+R DL)
ATI Radeon 9600 with AGP 4x
3 x USB 2.0
2 x Firewire 400 ports
18-watt stereo speakers
Microphone
External VGA port

Is this worth $50? How much RAM can it use? Wikipedia says up to 2GB with 1GB officially supported. How do I allow it to use 2GB? Do I just stick in 2GB and it automatically works? Anyone know what kind of hard drive interface it uses?

QwertyPants
Aug 21, 2009, 02:17 AM
To help determine if they are worth it, what would you be using them for? or are you just a collector like me :)

hierobryan
Aug 21, 2009, 02:21 AM
To help determine if they are worth it, what would you be using them for? or are you just a collector like me :)

Well, I'm just getting one for myself as a base station type thing to connect my Macbook and external HD to since I don't have a desktop, and to use as a torrent downloader while I'm at work. The rest are going to family and friends. I might sell some locally since I'd probably lose money by putting them on Ebay when I have to pay for shipping (I live in Hawaii).

ziggyonice
Aug 21, 2009, 02:24 AM
$50 is absolutely worth it. Based on those specs you posted, I'd say they're worth at least $200 each.

The eMac can have up to 2GB of RAM.

QwertyPants
Aug 21, 2009, 02:26 AM
$50 seems like a decent price, i'd use them for only basic stuff though, nothing heavy duty :)

hierobryan
Aug 21, 2009, 02:30 AM
I have one going to my mom, who currently uses my old Windows XP Pentium 4 PC. I'm glad to finally switch her to a Mac so I can stop troubleshooting her various PC problems :)

One going to my younger brother, who already has a fast PC and doesn't need a Mac.

One going to my grandpa, who will probably throw it in his garage along with all his other unused/recycled junk. My grandpa came from the depression era, so he's a major packrat.

6 going to my older brother who wants to keep one or two and return the PC he just bought from Costco, then sell the rest.

QwertyPants
Aug 21, 2009, 02:38 AM
i'm not too sure about the ram since i have never dealt with these eMacs before :( i found a bunch of articles that do say it goes up to 2GB. As soon as you do fill 'em up try running apple hardware diagnostics if you happen to have a cd, or you can torrent one >:D

Hrududu
Aug 21, 2009, 11:14 AM
i'm not too sure about the ram since i have never dealt with these eMacs before :( i found a bunch of articles that do say it goes up to 2GB. As soon as you do fill 'em up try running apple hardware diagnostics if you happen to have a cd, or you can torrent one >:D
You're right, this model will support 2Gb of RAM since it uses PC2700 RAM instead of the PC133 sticks like the older ones. $50 is a steal for those.

300D
Aug 21, 2009, 11:20 AM
Those are definitely worth $50/ea. Grab 'em!

Besides weighing 50lbs, so shipping will be $$$, it would be easy to flip those for a profit.

mastershakess
Aug 21, 2009, 02:49 PM
$50 is absolutely worth it. Based on those specs you posted, I'd say they're worth at least $200 each.

The eMac can have up to 2GB of RAM.

No one in their right mind would pay $200 for an eMac, $50 is a good price. I wouldn't expect to sell them for much over $100, if your lucky.

MTI
Aug 21, 2009, 02:52 PM
No one in their right mind would pay $200 for an eMac, $50 is a good price. I wouldn't expect to sell them for much over $100, if your lucky.

Well, if you limit your customer base like that . . . you'll never know. A quick tour of anyone's local Craigslist computer section will usually result in finding some interesting pricing on Apple gear.

mastershakess
Aug 21, 2009, 03:03 PM
Well, if you limit your customer base like that . . . you'll never know. A quick tour of anyone's local Craigslist computer section will usually result in finding some interesting pricing on Apple gear.

I'm just being realistic, posted prices don't mean anything on CL hahaha

TheBritishBloke
Aug 21, 2009, 03:53 PM
I'll buy one? xD. Shows the price is a steal (y) Can't believe that weighs 50lbs!! Try shipping that to the UK... $165USD via USPS. No thanks? xD