Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nina

macrumors member
Original poster
May 27, 2004
Anyone heard good/bad things about Shikatronics brand RAM? I'm looking to upgrade my 12" Rev. C Powerbook, and I know they're picky about RAM. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
nina said:
Anyone heard good/bad things about Shikatronics brand RAM? I'm looking to upgrade my 12" Rev. C Powerbook, and I know they're picky about RAM. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!

I have never heard of that company - but I'm no RAM expert. For a few dollars more - it is definitely worth it to go with quality RAM with a lifetime warranty. Check out crucial.com - it may be slighty more $$, but it won't screw up your machine. ;)

nina

macrumors member
Original poster
May 27, 2004
Thanks for the replies, guys! I'm in Canada, so there are no Crucial dealers here (that I've found). Shikatronics is offered by a couple of Mac dealers (Mostly Digital and North Star Computers), so I'm assuming it'll work, but I'm just looking for a vote of confidence before I buy. I also found Kingmax SO-DIMMs for sale (for a REALLY cheap price), but a number of people seem to have issues with that brand, so I'm staying away.

FYI: Shikatronics is $230 CDN, Kingmax is $142 CDN, and Crucial (from their website) is $116US ~ $225 CDN after shipping, exchange, and taxes (NOT including possible duties).

micsaund

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2004
Colorado, USA
nina said:
Thanks for the replies, guys! I'm in Canada, so there are no Crucial dealers here (that I've found). Shikatronics is offered by a couple of Mac dealers (Mostly Digital and North Star Computers), so I'm assuming it'll work, but I'm just looking for a vote of confidence before I buy. I also found Kingmax SO-DIMMs for sale (for a REALLY cheap price), but a number of people seem to have issues with that brand, so I'm staying away.

FYI: Shikatronics is $230 CDN, Kingmax is $142 CDN, and Crucial (from their website) is $116US ~ $225 CDN after shipping, exchange, and taxes (NOT including possible duties).

Since the Crucial RAM is cheaper than that dubious-sounding no-name brand even with shipping, I'd just get the Crucial. Even if was slightly more expensive, that'd be my choice. They stand behind their RAM with a very good guarantee and guarantee it will work just fine in your machine (plus lifetime warranty). The only disadvantage I can see is that you might be in a hurry to get your hands on the new RAM and Crucial will take a few days to ship. But, it's worth waiting for compared to "Shikatronic" (sheesh - I work in the semiconductor field and I've never heard of that one... wonder who created that professional sounding company name ;) )

Mike

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.