Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nickhutson

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 15, 2009
I would rather like to get Apple TV, but I don't have an HD capable TV - just a CRT TV with normal (some would say old fashioned) scart connectivity.

Is the only option with Apple TV via an HDMI connection? Pretty limiting if the answer's yes... and not a good incentive to buy!

Shuttleworth

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2008
UK

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
As long as the TV has a Component Video Connection (some SDTV's have this), it will work. Know that it will not be in HD though.

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2009
I just hooked one up to my father-in-law's old Mitsubishi set. It has a single HD input in component only, then 2 480p component inputs. He was going to get a component switcher after I left to get HD through the ATV as well.

leomac08

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Yeah, i under stand you. and yes you can use a normal SD TV

I have a LCD HDTV LG 22'', with 720p capabilities, but I just can't afford the HDMI cable, it's like $30- to sometimes i have seen $99!!!!!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

so umma save money!

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
The answer from Apple is "you need a TV capable of 480i component or HDMI input, wide-screen."

The actual answer is "If you're willing to muck around with funky cables and undocumented options on the AppleTV: YES!"

http://www.thecheapgeek.org/2009/03/24/161/

You do need an HDMI-to-VGA adapter to make it work; (or an HDMI-to-DVI-I, plus a DVI-to-VGA,) but you only need it for initial setup; so it can be borrowed (and you don't even plug them in to anything; just the adapters.) First, if you plug an AppleTV in to a composite TV, you will get a 'squished' (meant for wide-screen) black and white picture; but it will work, right out of the box. After you mess with some settings; and plug and unplug the adapters, you'll get proper aspect ratio, and color.

Dobbs2

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2008
Yeah, i under stand you. and yes you can use a normal SD TV

I have a LCD HDTV LG 22'', with 720p capabilities, but I just can't afford the HDMI cable, it's like $30- to sometimes i have seen $99!!!!!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

so umma save money!

You can go to monoprice and pick one up for about $5. Hdmi is hdmi.

Dobbs2

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2008
Thanks!! i didn't know that!,:) but the nearest monoprice to me is 60 miles away!

Are they any cheap ones in Best Buy, or Fry's Electronics? (a specific brand)? any suggestions?

I didn't know monoprice had actual retail stores. I meant monoprice.com

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.