Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CadenZ15

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
I was just curious as to if Apple would replace my iPod Touch, as it's under warranty yet, with a newer model?

The backlight went out on mine, and I figured maybe it'd be smarter to wait a month or two *wince* to see if they'd replace it with an improved model...of equal or lesser value of course. IF there's an iPod Touch update.

This may be a long shot, as they may have a warehouse full of the current generation...any thoughts? :confused:

ian.maffett

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2008
Florida
Highly unlikely. Even if they aren't selling a particular model they still keep refurbs for warranty reasons, etc. Same thing for the iPhone. A coworker just got her iPhone replaced Monday due to an internal issue and it was replaced with a 3G 8Gig, even though she pushed for a 3GS replacement (she had it for about a month before the 3GS release).

leomac08

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
HIGHLY UNLIKELY!:D 2X

sorry, but they are not going to replace it, unless you pay an extra fee of some sort!, but most likely then won't, the 3G will probably be a wayyyy! different model than the 2G and replacing it, will be like trading a 2009 honda civic with a 2010 BMW 535i:p

flyfish29

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2003
New HAMpshire
3x here...I had a 1G just one month ago which needed replacing- and the apple store had a 1G on hand to replace it with....now- you might get lucky and they might be out of a 2G...perhaps call ahead and see if they have one in stock to trade with...then if they don't, head right in and say it broke...and maybe they will upgrade you if you are really nice.:D Or they may just hand you a tracking number for the 2G from the apple online store.:(

creon

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2009
4X.

Its been tried again and again but to no success. As said in previous posts, refurbs are a plenty behind the desks of the Genius.

MTI

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2009
Scottsdale, AZ
The OP might be served well by taking a few business courses . . .

Would any company divert inventory in a new product, which will easily sell at full retail price to upgrading or new customers until all supplies are likely depleted, or . . .

should they take part of that inventory to basically "give away" to customers who have already purchased a similar product? And if you do, how do you explain the income results to your shareholders?

;)

buxtone17

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2009
I know at least a few people who have received newer model laptops when their old models have performed epic fails towards the end of their Apple Care.

Most recently, a co-worker of mine received a new 15" uni-body MacBook Pro when his old aluminum model bit the bullet.

CadenZ15

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
Thanks

Thanks for the replies, but now that the 3G's have been released, is there any other thoughts? :rolleyes:
Seeing as the model I have was $300 (The 16GB) and the 32GB 3G is the same value, would there be a chance? I would be sending it in, not taking it to an Apple store, if that's relevant. I apologize for my persistence lol but I gotta try! :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.