Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

masse

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 4, 2007
MA/GA
Title says it all. I lost one of the tips, so came up with my own solution. I grabbed some soft ear plugs, cut the fat end off, poked a hole through the middle and shoved it on my earbud. Amazing results. Isolation is about twice as good as the rubber tips, and I had a pretty good fit in those. No problems with them falling out of my ears anymore either.

I didn't look for ear plugs that matched so they are a little goofy looking color-wise, but actually look quite professionally done. At work right now. Will post some pictures later if anyone is interested.

wywern209

macrumors 65832
Sep 7, 2008
do you rly want to know?
I believe a company called comply makes these foam buds fora number of headphones. Check their site to see if they make some for the apple in-ears. Personally though, I think the etyomotic MC5 sounds the best for the price and also isolates the best. 35- 42 dB :)

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
I believe a company called comply makes these foam buds fora number of headphones. Check their site to see if they make some for the apple in-ears. Personally though, I think the etyomotic MC5 sounds the best for the price and also isolates the best. 35- 42 dB :)

I have the Etymotic mc3 (essentially an mc5 with iPhone/iPod inline controls) and there is one problem: you need to really crank up the volume to get decent sound out of these IEM's if directly connected to an iPod. That's why I got the iBasso T3 portable headphone amplifier with their CB07 iPod to 3.5 mm connector cable and the difference in sound quality is DRAMATIC--the headphone really "wakes up" and sounds really good now.
good2.gif

wywern209

macrumors 65832
Sep 7, 2008
do you rly want to know?
I have the Etymotic mc3 (essentially an mc5 with iPhone/iPod inline controls) and there is one problem: you need to really crank up the volume to get decent sound out of these IEM's if directly connected to an iPod. That's why I got the iBasso T3 portable headphone amplifier with their CB07 iPod to 3.5 mm connector cable and the difference in sound quality is DRAMATIC--the headphone really "wakes up" and sounds really good now.
good2.gif
Yup, these things need a decent amount of juice but sound pretty decent without an amp but a simple DIY CMOY amp will do the same. And, in case nobody has told you this just yet, sorry for your wallet. :D

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
Yup, these things need a decent amount of juice but sound pretty decent without an amp but a simple DIY CMOY amp will do the same. And, in case nobody has told you this just yet, sorry for your wallet. :D

Actually not. The iBasso T3 portable amp plus the CB07 cable set me back only US$150, cheap by the standards for portable headphone amps. The really good ones from iBasso and Ray Samuels Audio can set you back WAY over US$300--not including the connector cable from the iPod to amp!

I tried the iPod plus T3 combination with my other in-ear monitors (IEM's) I own (the Klipsch Image S4i and the current Apple dual-driver IEM) and wow, the difference is dramatic: the bass is clearer, and the treble sounds really good now.
good2.gif

Tix

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2011
yeah, the comply company makes some foam tips that are specifically for apple... they call it whoomp though. I have them for my apple in-ears. I like them a lot

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.