Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Adobe Principal Product Manager for Photoshop John Nack reports that the company has put together a Snow Leopard FAQ (PDF) notifying customers that while its Creative Suite 4 package is compatible with Apple's forthcoming Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Creative Suite 3 and other earlier versions have not been tested for compatibility and will not be updated if found to be incompatible.
Apple and Adobe have worked closely together (as always with new OS releases) to test compatibility. As for CS4, everything is good with the exception of auto-updates to Flash panels (which I guarantee you're not using*) and Adobe Drive/Version Cue (which doesn't work at the moment on 10.6). CS3 & earlier haven't been tested.
In response to a reader's comment expressing surprise that Creative Suite 3 had not even been tested, Nack responds that while CS3 almost certainly was tested by Adobe, the company has likely taken a conservative route in its guidance in case users do experience issues with CS3 under Snow Leopard.
I found that really surprising, too, and I'll try to get more info. I'd frankly be shocked if people at Adobe & Apple really hadn't tested CS3 on 10.6. I *think* it's just some corporate conservatism at work here, and Adobe doesn't want to over-promise anything. As I say, though, I'll try to find out more.
Upon further questioning of Adobe's lack of support for Creative Suite 3 on Snow Leopard, Nack points out that limited resources dictate that the company focus on current and future priorities, including customer support and feature development, rather than spending time assessing and modifying software released nearly two and a half years ago to ensure continued compatibility.

Article Link: Adobe Creative Suite 3 Unsupported on OS X Snow Leopard

amac4me

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
As a CS3 user, this is a bummer. Anyone hear anything about Pixelmator support on Snow Leopard?

enigmaverse

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
this blows.

As a web and software design, I need to support back to IE 6, released in 2001 and IE 7 released in 2005.

And they think they dont need to support it because "its 2 years old"

WAY to go Adobe.... nice way to treat the customer. Nice way to keep profits up.

RogueWarrior65

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2003
Redondo Beach, CA
It's a Vista ploy

Everyone I talk to thinks CS4 is a big steaming pile and are downgrading to CS3 or even CS2. Adobe knows this and is grasping at straws to get people to upgrade. Their stock growth has been anemic since February when everything else has been recovering most of their post-election losses.

eliaz

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2009
Works fine on mine

I've been using developer's build 10A432 since its release, and if that truly is what is in the package, it works... I have been making Flash animations on CS3 while running 10.6... I would just guess that they dont wanna promise anything

creator2456

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago
Guess I'll be spending a good amount of time this weekend testing things out. As a graphic design major, I need CS3 to work pretty flawlessly. I would get CS4, but don't have the extra hundreds of $$$ to spend on what I perceive as a minor update. Waiting for CS5 and a new MBP before spending that kinda cash again.

talkingfuture

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2008
The back of beyond.
I suppose this is only to be expected. After all they would much rather sell you a copy of CS4 than support CS3. I would assume a lot of software makers will be doing this in the next few weeks.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I know I'm currently wondering if I should upgrade to SL or CS4. I run CS3 and I am not in the mood to buy CS4 for the same reason someone noted above, it's a minor update.

WebbDogg

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2004
IS
I'm running the CS3 Design Suite Standard on 10.6. InDesign crashes occasionally and all the programs occasionally crash on startup.

I sincerely hope they issue a patch as not everyone purchases the upgrade every year.

MrENGLISH

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2009
Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Compatibility List

23lochj.png

oingoboingo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2003
Sydney, Australia
Have been using Photoshop and Illustrator CS3 on Snow Leopard 10A432 for about a week now and have had no problems. While Adobe may not officially support CS3, on my machines at least, they run without issue.

JonasLondon

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2006
London
...InDesign crashes occasionally and all the programs occasionally crash on startup.

As a user of InDesign (not highly complexy stuff, annual reports, newsletters, studies and such like) since it first came out, I feel this has always been an InDesign feature, no? :)

It's a good program, but at the same time I must admit I have hardly touched it this year. I have been using Pages a lot more though. Not wanting to start a comparison etc., I know InDesign is the big Gorilla etc.

But, alas, even PS use has gone down significantly with other SW taking over (Aperture, Photomatrix, PTGui, Final Cut, Motion, )...

Interesting how this market will look in 2011 :) :apple:

runeasgar

macrumors regular
May 26, 2004
Nashville, TN
I know I'm currently wondering if I should upgrade to SL or CS4. I run CS3 and I am not in the mood to buy CS4 for the same reason someone noted above, it's a minor update.

I really wouldn't consider it a minor update. In features, perhaps.. but the transition to Cocoa (in my experience) has made it a much smoother and higher performance software.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.