Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMat77

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2008
Ticino, Switzerland
Adobe continues to be my least favorite software company! Ever since I got Aperture, I do 99.9% of my photo workflow in Aperture. So, when I subsequently got my Canon 5D Mark II and found that Adobe had zero plans to support the 5D Mark II RAW files in the Adobe Camera Raw version for Photoshop CS3, my immediate (and continued) thought was Adobe can STICK IT! How incredibly difficult would it be for Adobe to release a version of ACR that supports newer camera RAW files in older versions of Photoshop? They are ALREADY doing the RAW conversions in the ACR for the latest version of Photoshop. They simply have to make the code change necessary to allow that version of ACR to work with the older Photoshop.

But they wont... Why? Because they are greedy bastards and they want you to spend $200 to upgrade to the latest version. Been there, done that, TOO many times! In total, I've spent $1,200 on Photoshop and subsequent upgrades! I'm not about to spend another $200 when Photoshop is such a limited part of my photo workflow.

Fortunately, Aperture allows me to quickly and easily output any of my 5D MkII images as .psd files and open them automatically in Photoshop. God Bless Apple and their FANTASTIC Aperture program!

This whole "Creative Suite 3 Unsupported" press release is simply one more scare tactic attempt by Adobe to generate more income. It's my belief that the slow economy has impacted them more than they care to admit. If they want to increase sales, they ought to think about doing what most of the rest of the businesses in America are doing..... lower their damn incredibly ridiculous prices!

Mark

I hope Snow Leopard brings with it an update to Aperture... And maybe iLife as well

baleensavage

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2005
On an island in Maine
As someone else said, being supported and not working are two totally different things. I've been using Photoshop CS (yes, the original) in 10.5 since I bought my new computer. Sure it runs slower than the dickens because its not UB, but until I can afford the $800± to upgrade, it gets the job done. Adobe hasn't supported CS in lord knows how many years. Heck, I had more problems with CS4 and 10.5 at work than I have had with CS in 10.5. So before we all panic, lets wait to see if it really does work in 10.6. ;) I know I'll be trying CS on my Mac when I upgrade to 10.6. Because I am certainly not upgrading Creative Suite every 18 months like Adobe wants me to, not at the prices they are charging.

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
I'd already resigned myself to not upgrading my OS until after CS5 came out. Bummer that it is, I (literally) can't afford to have even more glitches in CS3.

kymac

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2006
portland
apple can go ahead and thank adobe for another user not updating to snow leopard now..

as a student using tiger, i could barely justify purchasing full retail SL, and now that I'll have to add CS4 to the mix, this is a no go.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
More I hear about software compatibility more it appears to be likely that I will pass SL...

It will be great value for money - no doubt!

But perhaps not that great if half of my software ends up unusable or bugged :s

I will be extremely busy at work for at least another 3 months and I simply can not afford software not to work or indeed to endlessly wait for some promised SL patch.

Pass for now... :(

The incompatible software list is currently fairly small. Nearly all major applications are supporrted by SL.

Mountain out of a molehill, really.

And it seems CS3 works just fine.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I will probably wait for CS5 before I move to SL, even though I bought it. Or I'll run it on one machine.

j-Phone

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2009
Don't upgrade!

Anyone who is actually using their Mac's for any kind of mulitimedia functions (Music, video, graphics) knows not to upgrade to the newest OS. It always takes manufactures a long time to upgrade their software for the new OS.

You'll be all happy with your new OS:D and will quickly find out that none of your software, or plugins will work. :eek:

My rule of thumb is to stay one OS behind the curve. It's better to actually get work done, rather than being the first one to always have to have the newest and greatest!

macintoshtoffy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
New Zealand
Adobe did this with CS2 and Leopard, now they're doing it with Snow Leopard and CS3. It is funny how many people here blame Apple when the responsibility rests on Adobe's shoulders to properly support their products for the long term.

RebootD

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2009
NW Indiana
This sort of thing won't happen with Windows 7. Sometimes Mac sucks. :(

Well that is because Windows has kept its core pretty much the same (and mostly to their detriment if you only go by what is said around these parts) so I'm sure it's much easier to make CS apps work from XP- Win7.

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham
Adobe has been going to the dark side since they bought Aldus. Upon this announcement they are full fledged vaders.

catintinfoilhat.jpg

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham
Adobe did this with CS2 and Leopard, now they're doing it with Snow Leopard and CS3. It is funny how many people here blame Apple when the responsibility rests on Adobe's shoulders to properly support their products for the long term.

The way that Apple is supporting PPC users in SL ? Fail.

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham
That's what happens when you keep your core technologies for a decade and a half and never switch processor architectures or drop any compatibility whatsoever, leading to inexcusable bloat.

Inexcusable ? You just provided the reason. Backward compatability.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
After the Adobe poop-storm on Leopard compatibility, I can't begin to wonder why Adobe would welcome more with this announcement...

But it is a great marketing stick (club). Upgrade and then upgrade, or else...

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
So two somewhat forced upgrades in the last four years and a refusal to support 64-bit on the Mac platform for a major release, eh Adobe? You've got yourself a nice trend going here:

January 2006 - Adobe states they have no intention of releasing a universal binary for CS2 (which was released in April 2005), Mac users with Intel processors should upgrade to CS3 (which is released in April 2007).

October 2008 - Adobe ships CS4 to Mac customers. However, Mac version does not support 64-bit like Windows counterpart.

August 2009 - Adobe states they have no intention of releasing a CS3 software update to support 10.6. Mac users must buy CS4.

Yes, I know you could have chosen to keep your PowerPC G4/G5 machine and run CS2, and not upgrade to 10.6 to run CS3. However, there's something to be said for the way Adobe's handling the Mac platform.

It seems to be working for them. I won't even go into the lack of support of Mac OS X core technologies (Image, Animation, Video, etc) and built-in services (spell-check, dictionary, etc).

Adobe should rethink how they're treating their Mac customers. I realize the Mac platform is shrinking percentage of their market share (I thought it was roughly 40% Mac, 60% Windows last time they discussed it). But damn.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
I'm running the CS3 Design Suite Standard on 10.6. InDesign crashes occasionally and all the programs occasionally crash on startup.
As a user of InDesign (not highly complexy stuff, annual reports, newsletters, studies and such like) since it first came out, I feel this has always been an InDesign feature, no? :)
I almost tend to agree. But InDesign CS3 was unstable under Leopard until, I think, 10.5.4.

smeagol

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2003
New York
Everyone I talk to thinks CS4 is a big steaming pile and are downgrading to CS3 or even CS2. Adobe knows this and is grasping at straws to get people to upgrade. Their stock growth has been anemic since February when everything else has been recovering most of their post-election losses.

Adobe needs to rewrite the entire Creative Suite from scratch for both Mac and PC. Instead of investing their money in a ground up approach that would take advantage of new technologies like multi-core processors, they've focused on release a new CS every 12-18 months by just tacking on a few new features here and there and charge big bucks for it. They should let CS4 simmer for a while and focus on a rewrite for CS5. There is no reason why a "modern" day design program designed for pros chokes out on 2 processors max when there are up to 8 available, and don't even get me started on ram previews in After Effects, why not live previews like Apple's Motion?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.