PDA

View Full Version : Metroid Prime Trilogy!

fiercetiger224
Aug 26, 2009, 06:05 PM
So who's got it?! I grabbed mine yesterday, and just started playing it today! This is the way it was meant to be played! Brings back a lot of memories playing the first Prime back in 2002. Too bad the Wii wasn't out back then. :p

I'm glad everything is now 16:9, and the Wii-mote controls have been integrated flawlessly. Looks like they've "touched" up the graphics a little tiny bit in the first prime as well. Too bad it still looks like crap on an HDTV...:confused: They need to make a Wii HD or something, or a Wii with HDMI + upscaling.

I'm very disappointed that they omitted the titles screens for all three games! Every game had its unique opening...And awesome opening theme music. But they aren't there anymore. :(

JackAxe
Aug 27, 2009, 12:15 AM
I'm getting mine this weekend, too much work right now. I've really been looking forward to this update. Now my fingers are crossed for a WindWaker update.

Awesome about the 16:9 support. I was wondering about that tid bit. I watched the developer video the other week and they mentioned updating some visuals, but not the widescreen support.

I'm really happy with how the Wii looks on my plasma. It's a little bit pixely as expected, but the colors and so on it look great. I sit back about 7 feet anyways. It looked better on my Sony HD CRT, but not a huge difference.

And that sucks about the title screens.

fiercetiger224
Aug 27, 2009, 12:59 AM
I'm really happy with how the Wii looks on my plasma. It's a little bit pixely as expected, but the colors and so on it look great. I sit back about 7 feet anyways. It looked better on my Sony HD CRT, but not a huge difference.

Well I've got an LCD HDTV 1080p, so LCDs aren't great for anything under 720p. :(

BUT I do happen to still have my Sony 34-inch HDTV CRT! And it looks mighty fine on it. Man, only if LCD TVs had proper scalars in them...

JackAxe
Aug 27, 2009, 01:59 AM
My Sony died earlier this summer. :( It was only a 30", but I only paid $300 for it. I didn't expect it to die anytime soon though, as my old 36" Trinitron from 1999 still works.

I wonder if it's the pixel aspect that's an issues with LCDs? I only have a 19" LCD TV, but it never looked that good with the Wii plugged into it. Of course it's no where as good as the newer LCD sets.

Anyways, I'm excited about this game. I never played the second one to completion and I bought it the day it was released. :o

2nyRiggz
Aug 27, 2009, 10:42 AM
Thats sounds good and all but I still own all of the prime games and I can't justify buying it all over again for widescreen. I'll wait for Other M to get my fix.

Bless

Dagless
Aug 27, 2009, 10:51 AM
I'll get this when the price drops. I love Metroid and think Prime 1 was the best game last gen, but Prime 2 and 3 are just "good" and already owning them I don't want to fork out full price for them all again.

fiercetiger224
Aug 27, 2009, 10:59 AM
So you guys wouldn't play the games again with the new Wiimote controls? It's such a game-changer! Makes it feel like a brand new game. It's worth it IMO. But then again, it is $50. :o

My Sony died earlier this summer. :( It was only a 30", but I only paid $300 for it. I didn't expect it to die anytime soon though, as my old 36" Trinitron from 1999 still works.

I wonder if it's the pixel aspect that's an issues with LCDs? I only have a 19" LCD TV, but it never looked that good with the Wii plugged into it. Of course it's no where as good as the newer LCD sets.

Anyways, I'm excited about this game. I never played the second one to completion and I bought it the day it was released. :o

Yeah, LCDs have weird interpolation methods, making old games seem "blurrier". I guess if there was a proper one included in every TV set, it'd look a lot better. But they want you to watch HD stuff...Not SD. :/

Dagless
Aug 28, 2009, 05:31 AM
Oh no I definitely do want to get it. But it's still an awful lot for games that I've already played. 20-25 yes, but not a full price Wii game. I'd have liked these sold separately too since I can just skip over MP2 and 3.

Anyroad. Hows the loading time on 1 and 2? It was noticeably longer on the original MP3 after all (blaming Wii disc).

fiercetiger224
Aug 28, 2009, 06:12 PM
Oh no I definitely do want to get it. But it's still an awful lot for games that I've already played. 20-25 yes, but not a full price Wii game. I'd have liked these sold separately too since I can just skip over MP2 and 3.

Anyroad. Hows the loading time on 1 and 2? It was noticeably longer on the original MP3 after all (blaming Wii disc).

Yeah I agree that they should have sold them all separately, and keep those damn title screens! :mad:

Anywho, the loading is the same! I haven't noticed any slowdowns in loadtimes from the original GC versions. I'm wondering if the loadtimes were improved for Corruption? I'm surprised they were able to fit all three games on one disc!

JackAxe
Aug 29, 2009, 02:26 AM
I'm going to get this tomorrow.(I mean later today...) :) I already own all 3, but the Wii's controls are why I bought on in in the first place, so I'm excited about playing the first Prime again and finally finishing the the second game.

I recall hearing that they bumped up the difficulty to match the controls? Or am I thinking of another game?

MacRumorUser
Aug 29, 2009, 03:37 AM
I'm going to get this tomorrow.(I mean later today...) :) I already own all 3, but the Wii's controls are why I bought on in in the first place, so I'm excited about playing the first Prime again and finally finishing the the second game.

I recall hearing that they bumped up the difficulty to match the controls? Or am I thinking of another game?

Actually they made Echoes easier...

Dagless
Aug 29, 2009, 06:38 AM
That's probably for the best. Echoes was unrelentlessly difficult at times, yet in other parts it was a piece of cake. So long as they balanced it overall that would be nice.

fiercetiger224
Aug 29, 2009, 11:14 AM
Yeah, I won't know how "easy" Echoes is until I start getting into it.

The only boss I thought was really hard was the boost guardian. I think that was one of the bosses that was in a dark area, without ANY light crystals to protect you, so you were constantly losing energy while fighting it...If I remember correctly. That and the spider guardian. I still liked the game a lot, even if it was really hard. :cool:

niuniu
Aug 29, 2009, 11:16 AM
*jealous* :(

JackAxe
Aug 29, 2009, 02:09 PM
Was this game not released in the UK niuniu?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

My dyslexic mind must have heard the bit about Echos' difficulty and reversed it, which lead to my normal confusion.

Anyways, I'm off to pick up my collector's tin O Metroid! :)

IGN really liked these versions. It was good to watch/read a review from someone that's not your typical Wii hater with a prejudice to pointing quickly.

niuniu
Aug 29, 2009, 02:17 PM

Not yet, still on pre-order :mad:

JackAxe
Aug 29, 2009, 05:56 PM
On the bright side, at least it's coming. :)

My patients grows thin when I want things, so I almost always end up spending more. :o

Anyone that's still on the fence, but loves Prime, BUY IT NOW!!!

BoyBach
Aug 30, 2009, 08:27 AM
I'll be buying this on Friday. I really enjoyed the first Prime on Gamecube but didn't play any of the others in the series, so it'll be a new experience for me.

apfhex
Aug 31, 2009, 04:14 PM
Am I the only one who didn't think Echoes was particularly harder than the first? Or do I really not remember it well enough? I suppose the morphball-power bosses were pretty brutal.

I already own all 3, but the Wii's controls are why I bought on in in the first place, so I'm excited about playing the first Prime again and finally finishing the the second game.
I still own all three as well but had to get this for the 16:9 (4:3 SD gaming on an HDTV is not enjoyable) and the new controls. They are the pinnacle of FPS controls for the Wii. Really well done. Got the special edition with metal box and t-shirt but Gamestop ran out of the posters. :( Anywho now I have these and still Shadow Complex to finish...

fiercetiger224
Aug 31, 2009, 04:36 PM
Am I the only one who didn't think Echoes was particularly harder than the first? Or do I really not remember it well enough? I suppose the morphball-power bosses were pretty brutal.

I still own all three as well but had to get this for the 16:9 (4:3 SD gaming on an HDTV is not enjoyable) and the new controls. They are the pinnacle of FPS controls for the Wii. Really well done. Got the special edition with metal box and t-shirt but Gamestop ran out of the posters. :( Anywho now I have these and still Shadow Complex to finish...

Haha, I didn't think Echoes was that hard. It seems that MOST people did though. For some reason, it was my favorite Prime game. I guess I just liked the "darker" theme of the game. And I thought the design direction of the game was brilliant.

I also got this game for the 16:9. The Wii-mote controls just come extra. ;) It would have been nice if they retooled part 1 & 2 specifically for the Wiimote controls, such as opening doors (like Prime 3), etc. But then again, the originals were pretty much perfect, so it would have probably been bad if they'd gone back and messed with perfect games.

fireshot91
Aug 31, 2009, 04:39 PM
My friend got this, and I went to his house yesterday.

The multiplayer is really good, even though I sucked, it was fun.

Dagless
Aug 31, 2009, 05:22 PM
It depends on how you play these things. Echoes was more about energy conservation and learning to avoid enemies a lot. Prime was more arcade in that you could just flat out jump into a battle and (most of the time) come out victorious. So long as you could gather life and move between the 'light rod thingies' in the dark world bit you were okay.
Never thought the bosses were particularly difficult though. But the final 2 big fights in Prime 1 blew me away! Used to just replay through them on backup saves.

JackAxe
Sep 1, 2009, 01:00 AM

T-SHIRT!!! :eek: A pre-order deal? :) I bought my copy from Gamestop, but no pre-order.

My Wii looks happy on my plasma. It's similar to my CRT's color gamut, so all of my games hold up well -- even RE4. The only difference, is that I can see every pixel, but this isn't an issue to me as TV console games have always been pixely too me. :o

spaceballl
Sep 1, 2009, 02:54 AM
So who's got it?!
I'm getting mine soon... It's on "the list" so we'll see when I get to it. I'm very excited to get it. I played Metroid Prime years ago, but I never beat it. I'm going to play through all 3 now. Very excited!

MacRumorUser
Sep 1, 2009, 03:18 AM

Yeah about 5 years ago...... get over it already :p:D

OK I know the UK versions probably did not, but my NTSC editions have 480p support originally anyway, so other than wii control, and easier echoes how have these been improved?

And is it really worth getting if these are already on my desk ;)

fiercetiger224
Sep 1, 2009, 12:43 PM

OK I know the UK versions probably did not, but my NTSC editions have 480p support originally anyway, so other than wii control, and easier echoes how have these been improved?

They have 480p support, BUT, does it have 16:9 support? :rolleyes: Plus, the Wiimote controls just makes the game more interesting to play. Oh, and slight graphical improvements to the first two games, especially the lighting engine.

And yes, they're worth getting even if you have those on your desk. ;)

2nyRiggz
Sep 1, 2009, 01:42 PM
Easier echoes? you guys are crazy....Prime 2 was not hard at all. I blaze past that game in a weekend. I wished they made corruption just as "hard" as echoes because that was a cake walk.

I really want this game but the three prime cds looking at me in my games shelve says no:(

Bless

fiercetiger224
Sep 1, 2009, 01:47 PM
Easier echoes? you guys are crazy....Prime 2 was not hard at all. I blaze past that game in a weekend. I wished they made corruption just as "hard" as echoes because that was a cake walk.

I really want this game but the three prime cds looking at me in my games shelve says no:(

Bless

Yeah I blasted through the game through a weekend as well. Some people just suck at the game. :p

Antares
Sep 1, 2009, 02:44 PM
Yeah I blasted through the game through a weekend as well. Some people just suck at the game. :p

Yep. People, today, seem to want "easier" games. Let those same folks try and beat many of the games from the 80's and see how they do. Personally, I found some portions of Echoes difficult...but not "too difficult." A challenging game/challenging boss battles make a game that much more enjoyable....especially once you win. Easier games are just not as satisfying.

As for purchasing this set, I'm also on the fence. I already have the three games and am not sure what value it would bring me to buy them again. Though, I did already have (and beat) RE4 on the Cube and bought the Wii version for the controls (but the extra side game from the PS2 version made me want it more). Hmm....my issue with this Trilogy set is that there are not enough "extras." I played the original to almost 100% completion and Corruption is basically unchanged (just faster load times).

JackAxe
Sep 1, 2009, 09:33 PM

See, you have good taste. :P I have all three also, but now I have the collectors edition, as I'm a collector of editions. It's worth buying IMO.

fiercetiger224
Sep 2, 2009, 12:15 AM
Yep. People, today, seem to want "easier" games. Let those same folks try and beat many of the games from the 80's and see how they do. Personally, I found some portions of Echoes difficult...but not "too difficult." A challenging game/challenging boss battles make a game that much more enjoyable....especially once you win. Easier games are just not as satisfying.

As for purchasing this set, I'm also on the fence. I already have the three games and am not sure what value it would bring me to buy them again. Though, I did already have (and beat) RE4 on the Cube and bought the Wii version for the controls (but the extra side game from the PS2 version made me want it more). Hmm....my issue with this Trilogy set is that there are not enough "extras." I played the original to almost 100% completion and Corruption is basically unchanged (just faster load times).

Yeah I agree. Pretty much every game now has no challenge. It's like the new Prince of Persia, you can't die in that game at all! C'mon! I know some people think that it's better that way so you don't have to start all over and waste time, but the point is, is that YOU ARE ALREADY WASTING TIME PLAYING IT! :rolleyes: Videogames are there for entertainment! ;)

And you should go ahead and grab this trilogy. I know there aren't that many extras in the game, but at least they added in achievements and stuff. I know you haven't played Prime 1 & 2 for a couple years, so it'll be like playing a new game with new controls! :p

I'm trying to finish Prime 1 right now so I can move onto Prime 2. :D I'm excited. I hope they didn't dumb down the difficulty too much. I haven't played it in like 3-4 years, so the game should be interesting again.

MacRumorUser
Sep 2, 2009, 02:55 AM
Yeah I agree. Pretty much every game now has no challenge.

On the contary I find most games challenge me to completion, for the wrong reasons. Usually it's because they're so mundane, by the numbers and without any redeeming quality other than they look pretty, that by 30% into them I'm struggling with the will to carry on. :)

Dagless
Sep 2, 2009, 09:57 AM
But there are games with good difficulty that gradually gets tougher, and then theres Prime 2 that throws in cheap tricks to increase difficulty.
(I'm finding this with Dissidia at the moment. Their idea of increasing difficulty is to have enemies attack faster than you can which cheapens it somewhat)
And didn't Bioshock have a no-death option too, yet people praised that ;). But games could do with being tougher. In L4D now after 311 hours in that game, me and my friends actively try to hinder each others performance because zombies alone are no longer a threat, even on Expert! But that is pretty much all I play nowadays :p.

Antares
Sep 2, 2009, 12:21 PM
But games could do with being tougher. In L4D now after 311 hours in that game, me and my friends actively try to hinder each others performance because zombies alone are no longer a threat, even on Expert! But that is pretty much all I play nowadays.

Jimmi just haz mad gaming skilz. He pwns in Smash Bros, pwns in Mario Kart, pwns in Left 4 Dead... :p

Dagless
Sep 2, 2009, 02:50 PM
Jimmi just haz mad gaming skilz. He pwns in Smash Bros, pwns in Mario Kart, pwns in Left 4 Dead... :p

Sadly though that's pretty much all I play on PC/consoles :o.

fiercetiger224
Sep 8, 2009, 12:43 AM
Looks like Retro had to cut some visual effects out in Prime:

YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGjgfSwOPw0)

They removed some beam effects and water ripple effects. BUT, they added in the bloom lighting engine from Prime 3, and it sure does look a lot better in well lit areas.

Oh well, I'm just glad it's in 16:9. Didn't notice any differences until someone pointed it out. I'm not too picky about it. ;)

JackAxe
Sep 8, 2009, 12:47 PM
I'm more prone to think they broke these effects when reworking the game for the newer format, then didn't catch it during the Q&A stage. Maybe their Q&A was outsourced? :)

Prime 3 has rippling effects in the fuel, which looks better than what's in Prime, so if it had been some limitation, I'd imagine it would have been remove there also.

Anyways, I'm curious to what Retro's reasoning was for these changes.

fiercetiger224
Sep 8, 2009, 03:21 PM
I'm more prone to think they broke these effects when reworking the game for the newer format, then didn't catch it during the Q&A stage. Maybe their Q&A was outsourced? :)

Prime 3 has rippling effects in the fuel, which looks better than what's in Prime, so if it had been some limitation, I'd imagine it would have been remove there also.

Anyways, I'm curious to what Retro's reasoning was for these changes.

Yeah I'm kind of curious too. Prime 3 is definitely more visually impressive when compared to 1&2, so I guess maybe they missed or broke the effects when adding and converting to 16:9? Oh well...Not a biggie for me. I didn't notice it at first anyway. It's not like the game is in HD anyway, otherwise I'd be much more picky. :rolleyes:

JackAxe
Sep 9, 2009, 11:05 PM
LOL! There's lots of truth in that statement. We live in an age where as some younger guys view anything below HD as hideous. :)

GFLPraxis
Sep 10, 2009, 12:25 PM
I completely missed this release, wow.

I've been replaying Metroid Prime 1 with a Japanese import of the New Play Control release though... Do I want to start over? But...I never did finish Metroid Prime 2 :( I just didn't find it as enthralling as the first one.

fiercetiger224
Sep 12, 2009, 03:05 AM
I completely missed this release, wow.

I've been replaying Metroid Prime 1 with a Japanese import of the New Play Control release though... Do I want to start over? But...I never did finish Metroid Prime 2 :( I just didn't find it as enthralling as the first one.

Haha you really missed the news on this game? That sucks. :eek:

I wonder if the graphical upgrades made it in the Japanese import that you've got...The bloom lighting effects and all. Oh, and the missing beam effects, and water ripples. :rolleyes:

I just finished the first Prime finally, and moved onto the second. I made it to the boost guardian, and it definitely wasn't as brutal as the original version. It was still hard, but damaging the boost guardian was a lot easier.

fireshot91
Sep 12, 2009, 09:49 AM
I'm wondering how they put all those games on 1 disk?

I mean, Metroid 3 was 4.7GB in itself. Then the Gamecube versions were probably the same, also?

So that'd about 12GB, Sure, technology changed from then, so it could've been less, like 8GB, but then, they also added a whole bunch of stuff. More Graphics, Multiplayer, etc, so that'd be even more space

Yet, it's all in one 7.xGB disk...

MacRumorUser
Sep 12, 2009, 01:06 PM
I'm wondering how they put all those games on 1 disk?

I mean, Metroid 3 was 4.7GB in itself. Then the Gamecube versions were probably the same, also?

So that'd about 12GB, Sure, technology changed from then, so it could've been less, like 8GB, but then, they also added a whole bunch of stuff. More Graphics, Multiplayer, etc, so that'd be even more space

Yet, it's all in one 7.xGB disk...

The games on a DL DVD. Its 7.6GB or thereabouts.

Gamecube games had a MAX size available of 1.8GB as they were only mini-dvd's.

fireshot91
Sep 12, 2009, 02:35 PM
The games on a DL DVD. Its 7.6GB or thereabouts.

Gamecube games had a MAX size available of 1.8GB as they were only mini-dvd's.

Yes, that's why I said that it all fit in 1 7.xGB DVD.

I did not know that Gamecube games were 1.8GB.

But even then ~4.8GB (For Metroid 3), and ~3.6GB for the other two games equal >8GB. I mean, like I said above, yes, technology has gotten better, so yes, it could take less space for the same stuff (And it probably does), but they added even more stuff, such as widescreen support, multiplayer, better graphics, etc. So even then,I'm surprised they managed to fit it all in under 8GB.

TuffLuffJimmy
Sep 12, 2009, 02:45 PM
Yes, that's why I said that it all fit in 1 7.xGB DVD.

I did not know that Gamecube games were 1.8GB.

But even then ~4.8GB (For Metroid 3), and ~3.6GB for the other two games equal >8GB. I mean, like I said above, yes, technology has gotten better, so yes, it could take less space for the same stuff (And it probably does), but they added even more stuff, such as widescreen support, multiplayer, better graphics, etc. So even then,I'm surprised they managed to fit it all in under 8GB.

Yes, but since the games are all very similar and are running on the same engine lots of components from each game can be shared.

fiercetiger224
Sep 17, 2009, 08:30 AM
So I just finished the first two Primes. Brings back memories! Excellent games. Moving onto Prime 3 now. Unfortunately, it seems that load times are about the same as before! I thought they said they "improved" loading times on Prime 3? Maybe another PR stunt...GRR. :rolleyes:

Antares
Sep 18, 2009, 11:54 AM
Yes, but since the games are all very similar and are running on the same engine lots of components from each game can be shared.

The 1st and 3rd Prime use a similar engine. Prime 2 uses a different one. That's why they could add some of Prime 3's extra effects to Prime 1...and why Prime 2 didn't get that same easy treatment.

TuffLuffJimmy
Sep 18, 2009, 11:58 AM
The 1st and 3rd Prime use a similar engine. Prime 2 uses a different one. That's why they could add some of Prime 3's extra effects to Prime 1...and why Prime 2 didn't get that same easy treatment.

That's interesting. How do you know? And why did they switch back and forth? (I really don't know much about how video games are made)