PDA

View Full Version : Apple Approves Spotify Music Subscription Application for iPhone

MacRumors
Aug 27, 2009, 02:20 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/08/27/apple-approves-spotify-music-subscription-application-for-iphone/)

Last month, we noted (http://www.macrumors.com/2009/07/27/music-subscription-service-spotify-submits-iphone-application-to-apple/) that popular Swedish music subscription service Spotify had submitted an iPhone application to Apple for inclusion in the company's App Store. At the time, there was some question as to whether Apple would approve a subscription-based music application that would appear to directly compete with Apple's own iTunes music offerings.

UK news site paidContent:UK reports (http://paidcontent.co.uk/article/419-spotify-says-apple-still-testing-iphone-app-spotify-vanishes-from-app-s/) that Apple has just now approved Spotify, which should be appearing in the App Store shortly.Apple's Cupertino spokesperson tells us it has approved the iPhone app from Spotify, the music service that many people believe represents a threat to iTunes: "The current status as of right now is it's been approved and we hope to add the app to the more than 65,000 apps on the app store very soon. We've been in constant communication working with the developer and have already notified Spotify that the app will be in the app store very soon."Spotify is currently only available in select European countries, a number of which require invitations in order to access the company's ad-supported service. Spotify also offers an ad-free premium service, priced at 9.99 per month in the UK, and the company will reportedly also offer an annual subscription price for service through the free iPhone application. The New York Times has reported (http://gadgetwise.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/07/20/euro-tune-site-bound-for-america/) that Spotify is scheduled to become available in the U.S. by the end of 2009.

Article Link: Apple Approves Spotify Music Subscription Application for iPhone (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/08/27/apple-approves-spotify-music-subscription-application-for-iphone/)

SFStateStudent
Aug 27, 2009, 02:22 PM
What? Are they CRAZY? O.v.o :eek:

pianoplayer1
Aug 27, 2009, 02:22 PM
Wow I'm so surprised at this... its gonna be the best app ever - once it comes to the US!

mkrishnan
Aug 27, 2009, 02:23 PM
It seems this will make it very hard for Cupertino to find a good excuse to say no to Real / Rhapsody's app (http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20090825-715563.html). :D

SFStateStudent
Aug 27, 2009, 02:28 PM
Who's next; Limewire? Oh well, Apple will reject it in the end like all the other competitors...:eek:

elppa
Aug 27, 2009, 02:29 PM
Wow I'm so surprised at this... its gonna be the best app ever - once it comes to the US!

No, it already is the best app ever!

I'm in the UK. It's fantastic.

ejbenjamin
Aug 27, 2009, 02:31 PM
I'm hoping the relaunched Napster service can get an app through the approval process too. Their desktop-compatible service is $5/month for unlimited streaming. I'd happily pay a small surcharge to extend that to iPhone/iPod touch (or a fee for the app, but not both).

tropic10
Aug 27, 2009, 02:35 PM
It is the best music program I've used since Napster 10 years ago. I'm using it in the US now and I will definitely sign up for a paid subscription once they bring it here.

The Phazer
Aug 27, 2009, 02:35 PM
Well that's good news. Still, I wonder if streaming only with no local storage will be possible without a subscription...

Phazer

fishkorp
Aug 27, 2009, 02:39 PM
I have an iTunes UK account (I live in the US). I wonder if I can get the app in the UK store and use it in the US? Or if it'll check my IP address like the desktop app and deny me access? This would be pretty awesome to use.

hanpa
Aug 27, 2009, 02:40 PM
Only Wi-Fi? Or poor quality when using 3G? Too good to be true that this can be used with full quality on 3G. If this is true, I hope that the YouTube app will be updated to remove the quality reduction when using 3G, no need for that in the rest of the world that don't use AT&T. My typical 3G bandwith using my Iphone 3GS is 2-3 Mbit/s and according to my plan I can use it without any restrictions in my country.

fishkorp
Aug 27, 2009, 02:46 PM
Only Wi-Fi? Or poor quality when using 3G? Too good to be true that this can be used with full quality on 3G. If this is true, I hope that the YouTube app will be updated to remove the quality reduction when using 3G, no need for that in the rest of the world that don't use AT&T. My typical 3G bandwith using my Iphone 3GS is 2-3 Mbit/s and according to my plan I can use it without any restrictions in my country.

Some audio streaming apps work at 128k over 3G, I don't see why this would be any different.

niuniu
Aug 27, 2009, 02:47 PM
Can't see what's so great about this App.. You pay, you get to listen to some music for a while. What's the big deal about that?

Last I heard people were downloading any song they wanted for free and were listening to it on their iPhone/Pod.

justflie
Aug 27, 2009, 02:49 PM
I'm surprised. Perhaps the public scrutiny of the App Store rejections is finally starting to change things. :apple:

hanpa
Aug 27, 2009, 02:52 PM
Can't see what's so great about this App.. You pay, you get to listen to some music for a while. What's the big deal about that?

Last I heard people were downloading any song they wanted for free and were listening to it on their iPhone/Pod.

Well, what about a HUGE selection of music immediately available without having to buy individual tracks, download, store, backup etc? And now available everywhere with your Iphone (I hope, with 3G).

sneeks
Aug 27, 2009, 02:56 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8225731.stm

This was posted on Twitter from the CEO & Founder of Spotify:

"Yes, I can confirm that Apple has approved the app. We're happy but have had a great dialogue with Apple all the way. They've been great!"

http://twitter.com/eldsjal

dwright1974
Aug 27, 2009, 02:57 PM

You "can" pay or you can listen to the music you want with the odd advert interjected in for free.

Spotify is a great service, no denying that, and if it is free on the iPhone, even better. Quite surprised it got through, however with the attention Apple is getting at the moment, perhaps they thought twice about this one!

- D

TheNightPhoenix
Aug 27, 2009, 03:03 PM
You "can" pay or you can listen to the music you want with the odd advert interjected in for free.

Spotify is a great service, no denying that, and if it is free on the iPhone, even better. Quite surprised it got through, however with the attention Apple is getting at the moment, perhaps they thought twice about this one!

- D

It's not free, you have to be a 9.99 subscriber.

niuniu
Aug 27, 2009, 03:04 PM
Well, what about a HUGE selection of music immediately available without having to buy individual tracks, download, store, backup etc? And now available everywhere with your Iphone (I hope, with 3G).

Well, say I was out traveling for a year or so, moving around a lot, then yeah maybe I can see it being relevant.. seems to have a lot of support, maybe I'm out of the loop..

dwright1974
Aug 27, 2009, 03:14 PM
It's not free, you have to be a 9.99 subscriber.

It is free to stream, as it says here (http://www.spotify.com/en/products/free/).

The free version inserts adverts every so often. You can also buy Day Passes (http://www.spotify.com/en/products/day-pass/) (99p a day) and Premium (http://www.spotify.com/en/products/premium/) (9.99 a month as you say) which doesn't include ads.

- D

hanpa
Aug 27, 2009, 03:18 PM
It is free to stream, as it says here (http://www.spotify.com/en/products/free/).

The free version inserts adverts every so often. You can also buy Day Passes and Premium which doesn't include ads.

- D

This is for the desktop version, the iPhone app version requires a premium account.

fishkorp
Aug 27, 2009, 03:19 PM

Some people like doing things legally?

dwright1974
Aug 27, 2009, 03:21 PM
This is for the desktop version, the iPhone app version requires a premium account.

That, I didn't know. :rolleyes:

- D

niuniu
Aug 27, 2009, 03:24 PM

We talking about the same Gen X here?

Grasbak
Aug 27, 2009, 03:33 PM
IIRC as said above you need to be a premium subscriber.

Also, I thought i read that its not just streaming on iPhone. You get to store the songs locally as well as being able to stream.

I guess we will find out soon enough!

Krizoitz
Aug 27, 2009, 03:37 PM
I'm surprised. Perhaps the public scrutiny of the App Store rejections is finally starting to change things. :apple:

Or perhaps some of the "rejections" were overblown by the sensationalist (and largely anti-Apple) bloggers at sites like Gizmodo? Sites who reported that Google Voice had been rejected, when it was in fact still being reviewed and considered?

I don't deny there have been some bone-head moves by Apple in regards to the App Store, but I also believe that alot of what has happened has been trumped up and inflamed stories that in reality aren't because Apple was being nefarious or evil at all.

str1f3
Aug 27, 2009, 03:41 PM

I wouldn't make that case. I would say that the media companies and the courts are really starting to crack down on piracy. The courts are starting to threaten them as soon as they pop up. There may come a day when websites are too afraid to put up illegal content. This is also not including the potential malware and that one day you too may become the next Jammie Thomas (http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2009/06/jammie-thomas-retrial-verdict.ars).

I think it would be a great idea if Spotify offered a annual subscription through iTunes as long as it's reasonable. One of the few lesser talked about advantages of the iTunes is gift cards. Many people buy them for others and themselves.

LOL, I love my generation! :)

Michael73
Aug 27, 2009, 03:47 PM

I'm solidly in Gen-X being born in 1973 and the older I get the more I realize that people need to be compensated for their time and expertise. We can argue all day about what the appropriate level of compensation is but at the end of the day, many, many people contributed to an end product whether it be music, movies, software or anything else and they deserve to be paid for it. Not paying is the same as stealing...there's really no excuse. If you can't afford it, go to your local library and check out the movie, music or book. Remember, everything at the library is always free (just return it on time) :D

BBC B 32k
Aug 27, 2009, 03:52 PM
I'm solidly in Gen-X being born in 1973 and the older I get the more I realize that people need to be compensated for their time and expertise. We can argue all day about what the appropriate level of compensation is but at the end of the day, many, many people contributed to an end product whether it be music, movies, software or anything else and they deserve to be paid for it. Not paying is the same as stealing...there's really no excuse. If you can't afford it, go to your local library and check out the movie, music or book. Remember, everything at the library is always free (just return it on time) :D

I was also born in 1973, but as for being in generation X even I have to admit that the new youth have taken my place :mad: The merest mention of a library (which I use often) most likely excludes you from gen-x automatically. :D

hanpa
Aug 27, 2009, 03:53 PM
I think it would be a great idea if Spotify offered a annual subscription through iTunes as long as it's reasonable. One of the few lesser talked about advantages of the iTunes is gift cards. Many people buy them for others and themselves.

iTunes integration of Spotify using the iPhone iTunes app would enable use of Spotify in the background. A gift card may be used for renewal of the Spotify premium service.

Spades
Aug 27, 2009, 04:01 PM

I hate to break it to you, but Gen X are old fogies now. :p

The generation that's grown used to free everything is a different generation.

So if you still think of Gen X as a bunch of kids, I hate to break it to you, but you're older than old. :D

mogzieee
Aug 27, 2009, 04:08 PM
OMG wow wow wow. Mind you, I did see this coming... Spotify and iTunes are two completely different markets... and Apple approving this is only going to attract more and more iPhone users. Me, for example.

I have an iTunes UK account (I live in the US). I wonder if I can get the app in the UK store and use it in the US? Or if it'll check my IP address like the desktop app and deny me access? This would be pretty awesome to use.

Sorry buddy but for Spotify you'll need a UK IP. Mind you, the service is coming soon, and there are invites floating around right now.

str1f3
Aug 27, 2009, 04:16 PM
I hate to break it to you, but Gen X are old fogies now. :p

The generation that's grown used to free everything is a different generation.

So if you still think of Gen X as a bunch of kids, I hate to break it to you, but you're older than old. :D

I don't know what you're talking about little one. Napster was created by someone in my generation used by people like me in college. I wouldn't consider us old either. Didn't you hear that 30 is the new 20? I'm one of the last of the X-ers and proud of it. Up until this point nothing has come out of Gen. Y other than the destruction of what was the greatness that was MTV.

Can
Aug 27, 2009, 04:34 PM

I was a pirate too, before spotify came along. I have payed 99kr each month since. (9$) Its just sooo much easier. Creating and sharing and collaborating on playlists couldn't be easier. Before going to a party I put together a playlist and when I get to my friends house, 2 clicks and its already playing.

Nicolasdec
Aug 27, 2009, 05:05 PM
I will definitely be going premium if the app is free. However if they make you pay for the app and the premium membership then i wont.

I would still prefer the ads instead of the 9.99 P/M.

optophobia
Aug 27, 2009, 07:10 PM
OMG wow wow wow. Mind you, I did see this coming... Spotify and iTunes are two completely different markets... and Apple approving this is only going to attract more and more iPhone users. Me, for example.

Sorry buddy but for Spotify you'll need a UK IP. Mind you, the service is coming soon, and there are invites floating around right now.

And where did you get this information ? You can sign up for Spotify using a proxy, and as long as you log in again under that proxy every 14 days, you can continue to use spotify using a USA IP address.
However, there is no mention of the full details and requirements of the spotify application for the iphone, which I believe that person was referring to.

optophobia
Aug 27, 2009, 07:13 PM
I don't know what you're talking about little one. Napster was created by someone in my generation used by people like me in college. I wouldn't consider us old either. Didn't you hear that 30 is the new 20? I'm one of the last of the X-ers and proud of it. Up until this point nothing has come out of Gen. Y other than the destruction of what was the greatness that was MTV.

Ha Ha ha. Gore invented the internet. Are you saying he isn't old? And people who say 30 is the new 20s are just pissed they are getting old.:D

kas23
Aug 27, 2009, 08:13 PM

Usually when I buy stuff, I end up owning it though. I'm not really big on renting items I will be using extensively.

yetanotherdave
Aug 28, 2009, 05:21 AM
Am I the only one unable to find this in the app store? :confused:

Malcster
Aug 28, 2009, 07:04 AM
Am I the only one unable to find this in the app store? :confused:

Nope, its approved but not up on the store yet. Waiting...

boldfire
Aug 29, 2009, 03:30 PM
Does it normally take this long for an app to propagate into the store once it's been approved?

mudaudio
Aug 29, 2009, 04:11 PM
Does it normally take this long for an app to propagate into the store once it's been approved?

I stupidly purchased spotify premium when it was approved, hoping that the waiting was over.

I hate to be one of those people who shout conspiracy theory, but the 1-month approval wait and now a seemingly unnecessary delay in getting it into the store make me wonder; perhaps apple simply want to make life difficult for spotify - or perhaps they are delaying spotify because their own subscription model is days away (9 sept?). probably being paranoid, but either was it's been a long wait for this great looking app!

Pring
Aug 30, 2009, 10:07 AM
I stupidly purchased spotify premium when it was approved, hoping that the waiting was over.

I hate to be one of those people who shout conspiracy theory, but the 1-month approval wait and now a seemingly unnecessary delay in getting it into the store make me wonder; perhaps apple simply want to make life difficult for spotify - or perhaps they are delaying spotify because their own subscription model is days away (9 sept?). probably being paranoid, but either was it's been a long wait for this great looking app!

The delay now is on Spotify's side. Couple of the Spotify devs have said on Twitter that they have some things to enable on the back-end before it can go live.

Nehalem
Sep 6, 2009, 02:31 PM
Beginning to wonder if the delay in the application being made available is related to the iPod event on Wednesday.

Would be interesting if Apple choose to showcase the application at the event. That would feel a bit weird though wouldn't it? Unless Apple plan to purchase Spotify.

Here ends the wild speculation.

Malcster
Sep 6, 2009, 07:01 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A400 Safari/528.16)

it's in the UK store now, and it's extremely good!

works very well over 3G too.

fuenteselaine
Sep 7, 2009, 02:19 AM
Thank you MacRumors for giving this news. That's really big new for every iphone holder. Now, we can hear the Swedish music in our iphone.

josielinnea
Sep 7, 2009, 03:01 AM
It's up in the Swedish store as well :-) I'll be testing today and maybe post a comment tonight when I get home from work.

Manic Mouse
Sep 7, 2009, 05:01 AM
Wish there was at least some things one could do without going premium. Like maybe reserve saved playlists etc for premium subscribers and add in adverts for non-subscribers? The app looks nice, but I get Spotify for free (with adds) on my Mac, why not on my iPhone?

josielinnea
Sep 7, 2009, 02:03 PM
It's very smooth to download the music via wifi so that you won't have to stream it.. and everything works perfectly.
But why can't I view some kind of "toplist" on the iPhone-app? This is the feature I miss atm...