Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Photos from WWDC have been posted showing off the new Apple LCD Monitors.

The most impressive shots include the photos of a Dual 30" Displays that can be driven by the new GeForce 6800 Ultra.

Meanwhile MacShrine posted more screenshots from the Developer's Preview of Tiger.

Here's the link to the rest of images: http://www.jonshier.com/gallery/ | mirror

Attachments

• duala.jpg
    duala.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 3,574
  • dualb.jpg
    dualb.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 4,101

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
i have my little 12" powerbook here, and i am afraid to see it by one of those 30" displays! i mean im totally comfortable and happy with my screen size, but whoa those displays would make my powebook screen look like a smurf

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
MacShrine said:
Other news... iSync is gone! Yes, that new Tiger Sync Engine is taking its place.

iSync is gone??? What? :eek:

btw I can't see any of the jonshier stuff.

Edit: Links removed due to traffic? Wow that didn't last long. Anyone swiped the images so we an put up a mirror?

Trekkie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2002
Wake Forest, NC
IBM has a monitor that costs $8599 and requires a Quadra FX 1000 or better to drive it. So this monitor is cheap by comparison. That's a 22.1" 9MP monitor BTW.

I'm excited about the new card. I'm debating getting it on a Dual 2.5 and using my CRT (20" Sony) until I pay off the 2.5...

We'll see. Still debating, lot of dough. I was hoping against hope for a iMac refresh enough to make it worth upgrading over my 800MHz.

nsb3000

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2003
Boston, MA
carletonmusic said:
Impressive - it's just a shame that on top of $3299, you have to pay $599 for the video card to drive it. :(

Ya, you would think at that price, they would *give* you the video card, or at least build it in to new G5s..

stukick

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2000
I just sold my Son's kidney on eBay so I could get a 30" display...my precious. ;)

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Its been replaced by a syncing engine.. its built into the OS itself.

Anyway, iSync was a farce, claimed to support phones which is really didn't, or (isync) proved to be very unreliable, such as syncing with SE900.

Hope Apple have improved the reliability with the new Sync engine.

Tiger looks better and better though. Hope apple sort out those widgets... they are ugly.. only 12 months at most to wait!

Freg3000 said:

Edit: Links removed due to traffic? Wow that didn't last long. Anyone swiped the images so we an put up a mirror?

nsb3000

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2003
Boston, MA
New iPhoto?

I'm surprised that jobs did not mention the new version of iPhoto, powered by Core image, that is discussed here.

mkaake

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2003
mi
is it just me, or are the pinstripes a little more pronounced - as in, between 10.3 and 10.2 (look at last pic w/quicktime window)

AmigoMac

macrumors 68020
Aug 5, 2003
l'Allemagne
iLife 05

nsb3000 said:
I'm surprised that jobs did not mention the new version of iPhoto, powered by Core image, that is discussed here.

That will be his job at MWSF 05, for iLife 05 we can wait a lot of this video/image effects, that will be the kick-a$$ feature to update... that's why they will ship the first half of 05... I just noted that one of the screenshots from Macshrine shows the normal apple on the top-left corner, not the blue-backgrounded from the WWDC ...

bkopi

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2004
hongkong
According to nVidia's specifications the GeForce 6800 GPU can deliver a resolution of up to 2048x1536. The specs are on their web site at http://www.nvidia.com/page/pg_20040406661996.html

I wonder now, how on earth can any video card based on that GPU drive the new 30" display at a resolution of 2560x1600?! And why this display is only supposed to be good for MACs? The GeForce 6800 is available for PCs also!

If anybody has any info on that I would appreciate a response, as I'm trying to find out if there is any kind of scaling going on there (which would mean low graphics quality) or even worst, if this is all marketing crap?!

In principal the GPU should be able to drive (2048x1536)x2, given the two DVI outputs. So another explanation could be that there is a special driver (probably for MAC OS, that's why the 30" display only for MACs) that 'steels' pixels from one DVI and drives them to the other.. producing some kind of (2560x1600) on one DVI and the remaining (1536x1472) on the second? Don't know, just speculating.. And anyway, Apple never claimed that a dual 30" display configuration can be driven at maximum resolution at the same time by a G5 with a GeForce 6800..

Any links to relevant tech discussions are highly appreciated

yoda13

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
Texas
PlaceofDis said:
i have my little 12" powerbook here, and i am afraid to see it by one of those 30" displays! i mean im totally comfortable and happy with my screen size, but whoa those displays would make my powebook screen look like a smurf

lol, I know what you mean :D

benpatient

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2003
That IBM monitor you're talking about is the T221, i suppose?

Product link

it's not 8600 dollars, btw, it's retail is only 8400 dollars...

that said, it needs the fancy graphics card because it's native resolution (3840x2400!!!) goes past the theoretical bandwidth of a normal, single DVI channel.

You can, according to some tests, get it to fill the screen at full resolution with one DVI connector, but it will only run at 12hz.

the PHYSICAL resolution of this beast (the IBM T221) is 204dpi.

and when you consider that the 204dpi includes all three color channels as a single pixel (by counting, anyway), then you realize that this is actually higher TRUE resolution than the average color laser printer. You can imagine what that might look like....OS X would, if it could run on this monitor, be too small to click on things...the menu bars would need to be much taller.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Those're some nice screenshots to go with the mental image of having a pair of 4MP 30" screens in front of your chair.

Funny--I wonder if I actually had two of those things if I'd really use all that space--I just don't think I need that much visible at once for what I do, and I'd spend so much time looking back and forth that just one would be enough.

I'm trying to scrape together the cash for a 20", though, so that'll be good enough. The 23" would be nice, but $2000 is a lot for a monitor.

And Quicktime apparently takes advantage of core graphics now? Spiffy! That's probably the thing I'm most looking forward to, especially if it means more functional overlaid text tracks.

bitfactory

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
yeah, but how does it RUN in this current build? and on what equipment? does it run most 3rd party apps?

does the finder seem faster? is it cocoa? come on ppl, how about the important stuff?!

Knox

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 1, 2002
UK
Freg3000 said:

http://media.tecknohost.com/wwdc04/

Although they're not *that* interesting other than the two arn's already posted.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
carletonmusic said:
Impressive - it's just a shame that on top of $3299, you have to pay $599 for the video card to drive it. :(

There's no way around it--no other GPU can HANDLE that many pixels. And you don't pay 599 when building-to-order, you pay the DIFFERENCE vs. whatever card your machine normally has. (If you already own the machine instead of BTO, then you must buy the card--all you can hope for then is to sell the old one!)

And most importantly, that NVIDIA card does more than just drive (two!) 30" displays. It's an amazing graphics card with a LOT of power. You're GETTING something for your money.

Yes, it's a high-end setup and doesn't cost $250 :)

adamfilip

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2003
burlington, Ontario canada
is there any standard in the pipeline that can support a really high res display

like a DVi-X (extreme ) so that you can plug one of these 30" beasties
with just one plug

if not they better make one soon. some thing that can support 10,000 x10000 pixels

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Your imagination is running wild... :)

The 30" display will work fine on a PC.

bkopi said:
I wonder now, how on earth can any video card based on that GPU drive the new 30" display at a resolution of 2560x1600?! And why this display is only supposed to be good for MACs? The GeForce 6800 is available for PCs also!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.