Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ifjake

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
BornAgainMac said:
iSync the last of the free programs from Apple. Seems like everything is a paid upgrade. iLife, Safari, iChat, etc...

so come 2005 i can't imagine there wouldn't be upgrades to iLife to take advantage of the new features in Tiger. but would you have to pay for both? that would kinda suck. Apple needs to serve the customers a little bit on this one. give us a break.

Mr. G4

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2002
Rohnert Park, CA
PlaceofDis said:
i have my little 12" powerbook here, and i am afraid to see it by one of those 30" displays! i mean im totally comfortable and happy with my screen size, but whoa those displays would make my powebook screen look like a smurf

Here you go...I took the picture for you to see :)

Attachments

• DSCN6127.JPG
    DSCN6127.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 213

Steven1621

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2003
Connecticut
Makosuke said:
Funny--I wonder if I actually had two of those things if I'd really use all that space--I just don't think I need that much visible at once for what I do, and I'd spend so much time looking back and forth that just one would be enough.

who would have a real use for two 30in moniters? graphics/video people i suppose. when those get out to the public i would like to see how people make use of those...

JGowan

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Mineola TX
nagromme said:
No, Steve said it's Mac-only. The 20" and 23" are for PC.

The reason is that the required NVIDIA card is Mac-only--BUT I do expect that to change. I expect 30" on PC will become possible.
This might be the product Apple uses to get PC users to switch. Maybe these won't come to PC. I'm hoping they won't. Let 'em switch.

JGowan

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Mineola TX
Stella said:
LOL -
I wonder how many of these 30" displays Apple will actually sell.. they have a very limited market at the moment -
- Mac only
- G5 only
- Expensive graphics card ( and only one choice )
- $$$$ to spare

They won't be selling them to the average Mac user, that is for sure!

I could imagine Pixar will buy some since they are migrating to Macs...
Why are you laughing? The original 22" Display cost $4000 right from the beginning and only worked on a "new" MAC. This new one kicks it to hell and back and for less money. Remember, if you're buying a NEW computer, you only pay the difference between the stock card and the required card. I'm sure that these things will be the NEW thing to have and the very people who have bought the 22" and the 23" will be getting 1 or 2 of these things. They will sell.

Hopefully, history will repeat itself and in 9 months, the 30" will drop to $1999 in one day, like its predecessor, the 23"HD.

eric_n_dfw

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2002
DFW, TX, USA
JGowan said:
This might be the product Apple uses to get PC users to switch. Maybe these won't come to PC. I'm hoping they won't. Let 'em switch.
He said it's Mac only "right now"; but by the time you can actually buy one, I'd bet that card will be available on PC. (The card isn't available 'till August, he said)

jsulens

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2004
i am planning on buying a 12'' powerbook, and i was wondering if the graphics cards curently inside them will be powerful enough to run the new 23'' monitor easily. in the pictures posted i noticed that they had the 23'' monitors connected to the 15'' powerbooks. i didnt know if they did this for a particular reason. if anyoine has any experience connecting thier 12'' powerbook to the previous generation of displays(23'') let me know how it worked out for you. i would also like to know if adding more memory would help the situation

WM.

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2003
jsulens said:
i am planning on buying a 12'' powerbook, and i was wondering if the graphics cards curently inside them will be powerful enough to run the new 23'' monitor easily.
Yes, it should be fine. You don't have much hope of running the 30", though. :)
in the pictures posted i noticed that they had the 23'' monitors connected to the 15'' powerbooks. i didnt know if they did this for a particular reason. if anyoine has any experience connecting thier 12'' powerbook to the previous generation of displays(23'') let me know how it worked out for you.
I have not tried it personally.
i would also like to know if adding more memory would help the situation
Probably not. The main limitation for display size is VRAM, which is non-upgradable on PowerBooks, but the 12" currently has 64 MB, which should be plenty. Upgrading RAM to at least 512 MB is a good idea, though. It'll improve performance across the system, especially if you have lot of windows and/or apps open--which is the whole reason you'd buy a big display in the first place, right? :)

WM

jsulens

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2004
WM., thanks. i think that i will probably buy the new 23'' display as well as a new 12'' powerbook. what do u think is a good amoun of ram to have, 512 looks pretty good, but would i see a differnece in 768 or 1.25 gig?

WM.

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2003
melgross said:
There are several things here that are incorrect. First of all this card is NOT a stock 6800. It is a special card that uses DVI connectors that have two parallel DVI signals in each connector. Thus two 30" monitors per card. The stock card allows for one DVI signal per connector.

The specs that NVIDIA are quoting are the specs for a CRT, not an LCD. Specs of LCD's are very different from the analog output to a crt.

The second point is that Apple has stated that a Pc with a card that has the same functionality can drive this monitor. Steve is finally regarding Pc owners as his customers.

Try this link:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?productLearnMore=M9593G/A

This is from Apple's PDF, it explains a little about the DVI spec:

The DVI standard specifies a single connector that handles two different digital signal bandwidths: single link and dual link. At 165MHz, the single-link bandwidth supports HDTV and UXGA (1600-by-1200-pixel resolution) display formats. The dual-link bandwidth (transmitted over a single cable) uses the same DVI connection, but it supports much higher resolutions, such as the 2560-by-1600-pixel resolution of the 30-inch Apple Cinema HD Display.

In other words, DVI SL supports 1920x1200 at 60Hz or 1600x1200 at 60Hz.

DVI DL has double the bandwidth and supports a combination of rez and refresh that would use that bandwidth. Hence 2560x1600 at 60Hz. The confusion arises from the fact that with an LCD the rez and refresh rate is limited by the DVI bandwidth. If the card can deliver more, it doesn't matter because the DVI limits the output. DVI SL was designed for HDTV 1080p. It's "G5 only" on the Mac, because those are the only machines that have an 8x AGP port.
Good points.
Some G5's don't have that either, such as the 1.6GHz and the new dual 1.8Hz.
You're wrong about this part, though. :) All G5s have 8x AGP.

If a Pc has an 8x AGP slot, and a dual link card is available, then this monitor will work.

I hope that clears things up.
WM

WM.

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2003
jsulens said:
WM., thanks. i think that i will probably buy the new 23'' display as well as a new 12'' powerbook.
Lucky bastard. :D
what do u think is a good amoun of ram to have, 512 looks pretty good, but would i see a differnece in 768 or 1.25 gig?
I'd say 512 is plenty for standard Web/email/Office/iLife/etc. use, and maybe for gaming (which I couldn't speak to--I stick with my Dreamcast :) ). If you're really heavily using iLife or especially stepping up to FCE/FCP or other apps that give the computer more of a workout, then I'd start to look at going to 768--it doesn't cost much more than 512. But 1.25G is just too expensive at this point for me, at least, to consider--which leads me to:

Any time you're thinking about putting more than the stock amount of RAM in a Mac, I highly recommend looking to Crucial. We've had nothing but good experiences with them, and their prices seem to be pretty good. Aside from some issues (now fixed) with their 1 GB DDR333 SO-DIMMs on PowerBooks for a little while there, I haven't heard about any incompatibilities with new Apple hardware or OS upgrades. But even at Crucial, those 1 GB modules are almost $500. Whereas going for 768 instead of 512 is only an extra $70 or so (from Crucial), 1.25G instead of 768 is an extra $300. Sure, it'll be better than 768, but $300 better? Maybe not.

FWIW
WM

outZider

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2000
jsulens said:
WM., thanks. i think that i will probably buy the new 23'' display as well as a new 12'' powerbook. what do u think is a good amoun of ram to have, 512 looks pretty good, but would i see a differnece in 768 or 1.25 gig?

As an aside, I have a 12" PowerBook, and it connects, dual head, to a 23" display just fine. :)

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
melgross said:
Very good Nagromme. That's more time than I could have spent on it.

The formula isn't required though. As pixels on computer displays are square, all that is needed is to divide the horiz. or vertical display resolution by it's actual length in inches to come up with the dpi. Or are you thinking of something else?

Yes, if you KNOW the actual width or height, you can find the DPI even easier. But those specs are seldom officially posted: they only give you the diagonal inches and the pixel res. So the formula I posted lets you find everything else from that starting point.

freeIQtest

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2004
best VFM monitor

edu prices:
20" - 664 per MP
23" - 782 per MP
30" - 748 per MP

non-edu:
20" - 738 per MP
23" - 869 per MP
30" - 823 per MP

based on screen size calculations done by nargomme, it would seem that the 30 incher is actually a better deal in terms of pixels/money, but the 20 incher is the best value overall..

The Bartender

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2004
denm316 said:
I would take one but only if its free, I would never pay that price

YOU arent supposed to pay for it, YOUR COMPANY is supposed to pay for it.

I think my old man's boss is going to buy four of them.

illumin8

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2003
East Coast, US
benoda said:
Does anyone else think the keyboard's style is really out of sync with the tower and monitors? Looks like a toy sitting next to some serious hardware.
I was just going to say that. My god, can we finally get rid of the chintzy white plastic keyboards already? It shouldn't be that hard to design one with an aluminum enclosure that matches the G5.

The Bartender

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2004
illumin8 said:
I was just going to say that. My god, can we finally get rid of the chintzy white plastic keyboards already? It shouldn't be that hard to design one with an aluminum enclosure that matches the G5.

Too much aluminum would totally kill the look of the G5 w/ AL display though... white keyboards work for me.

The Bartender

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2004
Stella said:
Your imagination is running wild... :)

The 30" display will work fine on a PC.

The GeForce 6800 for the mac and the PC are two different cards.
The PC version has dual DVI ports... not the necessary dual dual DVI ports to run the 30" display.
In addition, the maximum supported resolution is only 2048x1536 at 85Hz.

Sorry to disappoint you, but you'll have to wait just a while longer. :)

The Bartender

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2004
Arael said:
Of course, I agree. But I didn't say anything about dual-link using two connectors.
I just wish that the 30in has two dual-link inputs, so that it can be used with a mac and a PC at the same time, without a (not-existing-yet) switch.

yeah... but then us mac users will have a random cable just dangling from our monitors since we wont need the secong input.

Mr. G4

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2002
Rohnert Park, CA
The Bartender said:
Too much aluminum would totally kill the look of the G5 w/ AL display though... white keyboards work for me.

I wouldn't think so. Just look at the powerbook how better it looks with the aluminum keyboard as contrast with the Tibook that has a dark keyboard.

Just my 2 cents

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.