PDA

View Full Version : AC3 Passthrough is Broken in Snow Leopard

donster28
Aug 29, 2009, 03:59 PM
Tried it as soon as I had Snow Leopard installed. A no go. :(

Using Perian and activated passthrough via terminal (just like in Leopard).

I hope this gets fixed soon because I don't want to take my Apple TV with me on the road. And yes, AC3 in Apple TV works as usual.

SpeedFleX
Aug 29, 2009, 05:00 PM
mhh I don't understand why you posted this on the AppleTV section besides the fact that you added a sentence that it still works on atv. Might be better to move it to Mac OSX forums but who knows....

Anyways please give us more details as to what Hardware you are using...

Try installing Quicktime 7 along side of Quicktime X

hitekalex
Aug 29, 2009, 05:15 PM
Using Perian and activated passthrough via terminal (just like in Leopard).

Did you mean it didn't work, even with Perian/passthru activated?. Did you downgrade to QT v7, or keep QT-X?

donster28
Aug 29, 2009, 09:37 PM
Sorry for the confusion but nope, I did not find a workaround. I meant to say, I have to use the Apple TV as usual to get AC3 output.

I have two MBP's one 15" late 2007 and a new MBP 13" unibody. Both will not output AC3 alone when connected directly to my receiver via optical cable.

AC3 is still working when watching my movies via Apple TV, but without Apple TV, both will not output AC3 with Snow Leopard.

I'm monitoring another forum on this and so far Perian has not come out with a solution. But I'm sure soon enough this will be worked around.

I don't think installing QT 7 will solve the problem. I play my movie through iTunes.

hitekalex
Aug 29, 2009, 10:02 PM
Ah I see. Too bad.. I guess I am sticking with 10.5 on my Mini, until AC3 passthru is resolved.. couldn't live without it.

Cave Man
Aug 30, 2009, 01:44 AM
mhh I don't understand why you posted this on the AppleTV section besides the fact that you added a sentence that it still works on atv. Might be better to move it to Mac OSX forums but who knows....

Perhaps because AC3 passthrough is something many people need for their home theaters?

SpeedFleX
Aug 30, 2009, 05:28 AM
Ah I see. Too bad.. I guess I am sticking with 10.5 on my Mini, until AC3 passthru is resolved.. couldn't live without it.

Thats because Perian does not work with Quicktime X and I ampretty sure if you would install Quicktime 7 that all your problems would be solved.

I hope soon perian will be updated to work with Quicktime X

JAWWC
Aug 30, 2009, 08:52 AM
Would this have any effect on Plex? or is it just for Quicktime/ iTunes?

donster28
Aug 30, 2009, 10:22 AM
Would this have any effect on Plex? or is it just for Quicktime/ iTunes?

I heard it works with Plex for now. I'm not sure though. :(

From the Perian forum, this problem seems to stem from SL not supporting the codec used to passthrough AC3.

An updated Perian is apparently being developed right now.

Here's to a quick resolution.

Mattww
Aug 30, 2009, 11:30 AM
This is a real shame - DD 5.1 soundtracks only recently started working for playback in a recent version of iTunes and now it's back to static or stereo :(

Cave Man
Aug 30, 2009, 01:09 PM
now it's back to static or stereo :(

Well, static or 5-channel, anyway. Still, Apple seems to be doing their best to push people towards Plex.

Mattww
Sep 17, 2009, 05:34 AM
Well the AC3 passthrough was working again for me after upgrading to iTunes 9.

Unfortunately I now I get the same problem and even worse DVD player will loose the ability to play DD 5.1 and DTS if I mess around switching soundtracks on a file in iTunes. This could be due to the 10.6.1 update - anyone else having this issue?

When this happens System preferences and audio midi setup think that I only have stereo speakers attached via the digital out.

hitekalex
Sep 17, 2009, 10:29 AM
Well the AC3 passthrough was working again for me after upgrading to iTunes 9.

Do you only get AC3 passthrough working when you change the sound track via iTunes "chat bubble"? Can you also get AC3 passthrough in Front Row?

sneezymarble
Oct 15, 2009, 06:15 AM
When this happens System preferences and audio midi setup think that I only have stereo speakers attached via the digital out.

I've got the exact same problem. Anyone find a resolution?

donster28
Oct 30, 2009, 02:00 PM
I've got the exact same problem. Anyone find a resolution?

There seem to have been no solution up to this time, shame really. :(

pathfinder78
Dec 24, 2009, 04:12 AM
After some trials i got ac3 working under snow leopard. I wrote an instruction. See here:
http://www.ahrenberg.eu/2009/12/enable-ac3-passthrough-in-quicktimefrontrow-under-snow-leopard/