PDA

View Full Version : RevA 12" and the new displays

shavs
Jun 30, 2004, 12:45 PM
As far as I'm aware my RevA 12" PB (867Mhz) has a Mini-VGA out, is there any way I can hook one of these up to the new apple displays? I'm ready to shell out for a nice new 20" but it's not much use if I can't plug it in. Is there some kind of adaptor or other method of getting this to work? Are the quality issues serious?

I'd buy a new laptop but I'm waiting for a G5 PB :D

r6girl
Jul 1, 2004, 02:49 PM
my understanding is that the rev. A 12" powerbooks do NOT work with the cinema displays - there's no way to get the VGA signal to convert to a DVI signal to work with them. the rev. B and C models have mini-DVI out, so they work with the cinema displays.

i'm in the same boat. i'd love to get a cinema display, but will need to wait until i upgrade my powerbook, which won't be a for a few years yet... :(

marianne

Koodauw
Jul 3, 2004, 11:23 PM
So no Cinema displays will work with a rev. A Powerbook? Not even the older 20'' inchers? Man this is a huge bummer. I was all set to pick one up. I checked out apple.com, looks like there is no such thing as a VGA-ADC adapter. This bites. guess ill have to look at a Non- Apple display :eek:

Finiksa
Jul 3, 2004, 11:49 PM
I checked out apple.com, looks like there is no such thing as a VGA-ADC adapter.

There are a couple of companies that make VGA-ADC adapters but they tend to cost around $300.

Rod Rod
Jul 4, 2004, 03:43 AM
the VGA to DVI conversion box (http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=1301)

It shows $299, but I saw a few brand new / sort of used ones on eBay in the past few months for $199 / Buy it Now.

That answers the second question about whether the first 12" PowerBook could work with the ADC ACDs.

The original question was whether the 867MHz PB can work with the just-announced DVI ACDs.

the VGA to DVI adapter (http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=1435)

That answers the first question.

Buy it directly from gefen.com or search for "gefen" on eBay.

Have a great day!

edit: OK, it's not worth it to buy that VGA to DVI adapter at $799. The best thing to do if you really want to run a new DVI ACD is sell your PB and buy one that has DVI output.