PDA

View Full Version : Logic/Mainstage Output?

teknikal90
Sep 5, 2009, 06:49 PM
Hey all,
I'm getting Logic Studio on my MacBook and am planning to use Mainstage on stage. Just a question, how do I output the sound?
Do I use just the on board sound with an adapter to fit the " plug? Is that sufficient?
Or do I need an output device of some sort?
The stage is pretty big, all sound goes through an Aviom system and through a central desk to the front of house. So I just wasn't sure if the inbuild output is sufficient?
Anyone with knowledge on this?

thanks!

salientstimulus
Sep 6, 2009, 09:13 AM
Hey all,
I'm getting Logic Studio on my MacBook and am planning to use Mainstage on stage. Just a question, how do I output the sound?
Do I use just the on board sound with an adapter to fit the " plug? Is that sufficient?
Or do I need an output device of some sort?
The stage is pretty big, all sound goes through an Aviom system and through a central desk to the front of house. So I just wasn't sure if the inbuild output is sufficient?
Anyone with knowledge on this?

thanks!

I haven't ever performed with a computer on stage, but IMHO if it sounds good going through headphones and your speakers at home, it will be good enough for stage. A nice USB audio interface might give you better digital>analog conversion, but that's probably not even a noticeable difference in a live venue (and adding a device might increase latency, which strikes me as a far bigger problem than a few bits of sound quality).

teknikal90
Sep 7, 2009, 09:07 AM
oh ok thanks!
i was really just concerned that perhaps since its such a big ystem it mgith damage my mac somehow...

deej999
Sep 8, 2009, 06:34 PM
Using the headphone output on the mac may be fine. I would recommend getting a decent sound card if you need more inputs and outputs in the future. Firewire not USB! Any good audio interface like a Apogee Duet should not increase latency - but it can improve the quality of the sound due to superior A/D convertors than the built in sound card.

deej