Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nph

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 9, 2005
any change when it comes to the change in the time it takes for the temperature to go up?

What I mean is that currently if I compare my MBA rev B with any other Mac I have or had, any rise in activity on the CPU makes te temperature shoot up at least 10C or 20F within a second or two at the most.
All other macs show a gradual increase, including previous portables and current imac etc.

The extremely quick rise in temp is that a sign about poor thermal transfer to the heat sink or is this expected behaviour in the MBA?

Thanks

oculus42

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2002
Maine
When you say "reapplied Thermal paste" do you mean you put new paste on or used the existing?

Generally, you should not use the existing thermal paste. This weekend, I discovered a friend had been regularly removing the heatsink to clean the dust from their slim Dell desktop, and the computer was much louder than it used to be. I applied fresh thermal paste and it magically became quieter.

nph

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 9, 2005
HI

Sorry about that, I meant if you replaced the current Thermal Paste with for instance AS5.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
HI

Sorry about that, I meant if you replaced the current Thermal Paste with for instance AS5.

No reason to be sorry, I think your question was correct and the poster took it out of context completely.

Yes, but minimal improvements in high end temp and how fast rises.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.