PDA

View Full Version : How do I hook two 23" apple displays to a 2.5ghz G5?

evil_twin
Jul 4, 2004, 09:28 PM
Maybe a dumb question.
Is it possible and what do I need.

mikeyredk
Jul 4, 2004, 09:34 PM
old style? new style?

Sun Baked
Jul 4, 2004, 09:37 PM
DVI or ADC displays?

The new 6800 card has two DVI ports.

The rest of the cards have both an ADC port and a DVI port.

They all support 2 monitors, depending on what type monitor ADC/DVI/VGA you get, will affect your adapter (or lack thereof) choice.

Steven1621
Jul 4, 2004, 09:38 PM
it should be as simple as connect the two to the graphics card on the back of the tower, as long as teh card is compatable. from there you just go into to the display preferences and set it for two displays.

jimsowden
Jul 4, 2004, 09:38 PM
The 6800 has 4 dvi ports

mikeyredk
Jul 4, 2004, 09:40 PM
The 6800 has 4 dvi ports

no...

2 dual dual link ones. if you stretch it out that would be 4, but only 2 physical ones

Sun Baked
Jul 4, 2004, 09:47 PM
The 6800 has 4 dvi portsI only see 2. ;)

Sort of like a double-density and/or double-sided floppy is a single item.

BrianKonarsMac
Jul 4, 2004, 09:51 PM
The 6800 has 4 dvi ports

wow way to completely miss that one...a dual-link DVI port is NOT two DVI ports, think of it more as firewire 800 whereas standard DVI is firewire 400 (not really, but in bandwidth terms you get the idea).

if they're ADC monitors, hook one to the ADC output and buy a ADC to DVI adapter ($100) for your spare DVI port.

if they're DVI monitors, hook one up to the spare DVI port and get a ADC/DVI adapter cable ($20).

it typically helps to tell people what you are using (your graphics card and machine, as well as monitors)...

if you're using new 23" with the 6800...just plug them in.

jsw
Jul 4, 2004, 09:52 PM
no...

2 dual dual link ones

Picking nits: 2 dual link ones, or dual dual link ones (not 2 dual dual). Just wanted to make sure it's clear that there are two ports and, unless/until someone comes out with a dual-link->dual-standard-DVI adapter (which might not even be possible, and regardless probably isn't supported by the card), you'll only be able to hook up two monitors to it.

BrianKonarsMac
Jul 4, 2004, 09:56 PM
Picking nits: 2 dual link ones, or dual dual link ones (not 2 dual dual). Just wanted to make sure it's clear that there are two ports and, unless/until someone comes out with a dual-link->dual-standard-DVI adapter (which might not even be possible, and regardless probably isn't supported by the card), you'll only be able to hook up two monitors to it.

will people stop saying DUAL DUAL already!?!?!? all it does is confuse people who don't understand what dual-link is anyways, and apparently those who are trying to explain it as well (2 Dual Dual? 8 ports? sweet).
it has TWO DVI ports, which are "dual-link"

i never noticed how weird the word DUAL looks...hehe.

G5orbust
Jul 4, 2004, 10:03 PM

This topic will be as confusing as ever. Its not hard to understand but it will be botched. Maybe having more than one "dual link" (or naming it "dual link" in the first place) wasnt the best idea.

But to answer the question you will need some kind of an adaptor. Be that ADC---> DVI or DVI---> ADC. End of story.

Xenious
Jul 4, 2004, 10:34 PM
So does the 9600 XT have one ADC and one DVI port or two ADC's or what?

magid
Jul 5, 2004, 01:23 AM
One ADC and one DVI. The new geforce 6800 has two DVI ports.

G5orbust
Jul 5, 2004, 02:18 AM
No graphics card is worthless enough to have two ADC ports...

Mord
Jul 5, 2004, 04:18 AM
it's not phisically possible because the card only has 115w or so to power an adc moniter and two of them would over tax it.

evil_twin
Jul 5, 2004, 07:42 AM
Thanks everybody for your help.
I understand now.
I will be purchasing the 2.5 ghz with the ATI Radeon 9800 XT.
So I quess it has one DVI port and one ADC port and I will need a ADC -->DVI adapter.
I feel stupid.

Does anyone on here currently have 2 monitors on the same G5?

Mord
Jul 5, 2004, 07:49 AM
you have nothing to worry about it works fine

jsw
Jul 5, 2004, 07:59 AM
Does anyone on here currently have 2 monitors on the same G5?

Yup. Lots of us do. Piece of cake.

Jo-Kun
Jul 5, 2004, 01:08 PM
yep I do... one old 20" Apple monitor ADC->VGA & VGA->MacVGA (don't know how to call the old big plug on it) and one 17" Dell monitor with the DVI->VGA cable wich came with the G5

ok I don't have the money to buy Apple displays now, and the 30" is the only one that can replace my monitors in terms of resolution ;-) + I still prefer CRT for colour issues... maybe its silly but thats me...

jimsowden
Jul 5, 2004, 02:24 PM
my Bad. I just checked the Tech Overview of the displays and I was wrong. The dual link port is just a special single DVI port. I had seen the pictures of the card, but though they took the extra 2 ports out to fool us before the displays were anounced.

Jo-Kun
Jul 5, 2004, 02:29 PM
hmm and did you figure out where they would put the extra two DVI connectors they 'photoshopped' out??

if you would have looked at the picture of the new connectors on the displays you would have seen 1DVI 1USB2 & 1FireWire cable

its funny to read some of the threads on the new 30" and the 'inventions' some of us do ;-)

anyway no harm done its nice to read a lot of things here, usefull and funny sometimes... but thats life... usefull and funny :-D

grts

J

Grimace
Jul 5, 2004, 02:35 PM
I think whomever came up with the dual-link term is evil. Call it anything else!! It sounds like a two port connection!! :(

7on
Jul 5, 2004, 03:58 PM
DVI Extreme?

jimsowden
Jul 5, 2004, 05:00 PM
hmm and did you figure out where they would put the extra two DVI connectors they 'photoshopped' out??

if you would have looked at the picture of the new connectors on the displays you would have seen 1DVI 1USB2 & 1FireWire cable

its funny to read some of the threads on the new 30" and the 'inventions' some of us do ;-)

anyway no harm done its nice to read a lot of things here, usefull and funny sometimes... but thats life... usefull and funny :-D

grts

J
I assumes that they would be put atop the current two, you know, in the exact logical place they should be if the card had 4. Since it takes up 2 slot speces, that does make sence. But I was wrong. Again, I assumed the cable was just for the 20 and the 23, because there has to be a different one for the 30, even though it doesn't use 2 ports it does still need a different kind of port.

pounce
Jul 5, 2004, 06:05 PM
i ordered a dual 2.5 g5 as well and will be hooking up two monitors to it. they are currently hooked into the vga (analog) connections on the lcd displays from my dual g4. however, they both also support digital dvi. i ordered two digital dvi cables and one adc>dvi adapter.

can anyone confirm that the adc/dvi converters sold do in fact output the digital dvi signal (as there also is an analog dvi signal that i'm not interested in using).

the long cables i required were kind of pricey, but i'm looking forward to the sharpest possible picture by using dvi instead of vga.

Jo-Kun
Jul 5, 2004, 06:51 PM
I assumes that they would be put atop the current two, you know, in the exact logical place they should be if the card had 4. Since it takes up 2 slot speces, that does make sence. But I was wrong. Again, I assumed the cable was just for the 20 and the 23, because there has to be a different one for the 30, even though it doesn't use 2 ports it does still need a different kind of port.

ok that sounds logical indeed... but the picture puts the huge fan in that position

+ it would sound Illogical to need two equal ports for one device... that would be sooooo non-mac (except maybe for PC users who like to plug things all over the place...)

Sun Baked
Jul 5, 2004, 07:08 PM

JI found them. ;)

So those Photoshopped out connectors, were probably a 2nd card the photographer thankfully left out of of the picture.

http://www.nvidia.com/docs/CP/5953/connector.jpg

And yes this is a four port/two card system that probably doesn't use the 3rd/4th ports but uses the GPU off the other card to speed up the first.

It's the SLI/PCI-e version of the 6800.

http://www.nvidia.com/docs/CP/5953/sli_video.swf

Jo-Kun
Jul 5, 2004, 07:21 PM
as you can see in the swf... they show 2 'shorter' cards in 2 slots... the Mac version is a bigger sized card (longer) than the PC version... but with a 2 slot covering in the front and only in need of one slot...

mac version: http://a248.e.akamai.net/7/248/2041/572/store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/m9593ga_125.jpg

pc version: http://www.nvidia.com/docs/CP/5917/verto-board.jpg

I'm not sure if the PC version has the same resolution as the Mac version since there is allso a thread where you can find that the max resolution of dual dual dvi card (it still sounds awfull... why indeed not dual DVI2 or something else...) schould be less than what the 30" display can perform...

>edit:
>Dual integrated 400 MHz RAMDACs for display resolutions up to
>and including 2048 1536 at 85Hz
>
>more specs on the PC version
>(wich seems just a little less powerfull than the Mac version...)
>http://www.nvidia.com/page/pg_20040406661996.html
>
>end edit

and now I go to bed... its allmost 2u30 am here in belgium ;-)

J