Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MKCLLNS

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2009
mixes will create you different mixes for you:

such as:

hip hop one
alternative one
punk one
etc.
etc.

I had to stop genus and reupload all my information for them to show-up.

A lot of the new features are hard to get to work in itunes 9 :mad:

TranceNW

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 18, 2007
Essex, United Kingdom
mixes will create you different mixes for you:

such as:

hip hop one
alternative one
punk one
etc.
etc.

I had to stop genus and reupload all my information for them to show-up.

A lot of the new features are hard to get to work in itunes 9 :mad:

I see, I cannot find them anywhere. Where are they supposed to be?
I think I need to do what you did, how do I go about that? I tried unchecking genius in preferences, applying and then rechecking it but it hasnt seemed to have worked. :confused:

MKCLLNS

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2009
so basically a mix is just based off a genre instead of a particular song? and it just plays limitlessly instead of having a finite playlist. Is that the difference between mix and the old genius?

yes, nothing really to rave about me thinks

Looon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2009
It's kind of a disappointment IMO. I only listen to hip hop and every mix it made is just named Rap Mix 1, Rap Mix 2, Rap Mix 3, etc.... So it's basically just like throwing shuffle on. Guess if you listen to a real variety it will be nice.

soberbrain

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2008
yes, nothing really to rave about me thinks

That's what I thought of at first. But this is more like Apple's answer to Pandora/Slacker services.

In addition to creating playlists based on particular songs, iTunes can turn your library into a set of commercial-free radio stations playing your favorite music from your library. This is called a “Genius Mix.”

I think it'll come in handy in the car since it's quicker than making a Genius playlist and closer to just listening to a radio station.

Especially for long drives where you run out of songs in a Genius playlist and have to refresh or make another one.

reubs

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2006
First of all, can you do this on your iPod? Will my Genius Mixes load up onto my iPod touch?

Secondly, this reminds me a lot of the radio feature in GTA: Vice City. I've got the hip-hop on right now for my library, and I've already gotten Eminem, Beastie Boys, and now Tupac with Dre; really cool stuff.

I didn't get my hopes up to high for this event (too much else going on), so I'm enjoying some of these new features.

devburke

Oct 16, 2008
Yes. They're just called genius playlists. The ones you make yourself are called genius lists. iTunes manages your Genius Mixes.

Well what I find disappointing about Genius Playlists is that they’re only 25 tracks, and then they stop. Genius Mixes just keep playing, so I was hoping you could create your own too.

It's kind of a disappointment IMO. I only listen to hip hop and every mix it made is just named Rap Mix 1, Rap Mix 2, Rap Mix 3, etc.... So it's basically just like throwing shuffle on. Guess if you listen to a real variety it will be nice.

Hey, at least you got those names. Mine are literally just “Mix 1” “Mix 2” “Mix 3”… etc. If you look at which artists each one is based off of, you can probably figure out more closely what each mix will be like, since “rap” is pretty broad.

First of all, can you do this on your iPod? Will my Genius Mixes load up onto my iPod touch?

Secondly, this reminds me a lot of the radio feature in GTA: Vice City. I've got the hip-hop on right now for my library, and I've already gotten Eminem, Beastie Boys, and now Tupac with Dre; really cool stuff.

I didn't get my hopes up to high for this event (too much else going on), so I'm enjoying some of these new features.

Yeah, it’s part of the 3.1 firmware, although it’s been beyond buggy on the iPod for me. They’ve been crashing like crazy, and every time they do, the album art images get all screwed up. After the first crash, the images for Mixes 7-9 were replaced with the ones from Mixes 1-3. Then next time it crashed, all the art got bumped up one and Mix 1 was the only one correct (so the art for 2-9 was what used to be 1-8…and this was after 7-9 had already been messed up, so at this point the images for Mix 1 were also showing up on both Mixes 2 and 8, etc.)

Also, every time I switch from a Genius Mix back to anything else, repeat is always switched on. Kind of annoying.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
Well what I find disappointing about Genius Playlists is that they’re only 25 tracks, and then they stop. Genius Mixes just keep playing, so I was hoping you could create your own too.

Create a smart playlist with all of one genre in it them. Of course you know you can make a genius list go 25, 50, 75 or 100 songs long, right?

DOUGHNUT

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2006
Genius Mix is actually pretty dumb in my opinion. i have 6000 hip hop/rap songs on my computer, but non of the Genius Mixes is of the rap genre. in return, i have 5 separate rock mixes, 2 pop mixes, 2 movie score mixes (i don't even have that many movie scores.), 1 r&b mix. and there's no way to configure it or expand the number of mixes i want.

devburke

Oct 16, 2008
Create a smart playlist with all of one genre in it them. Of course you know you can make a genius list go 25, 50, 75 or 100 songs long, right?

Haha I’d forgotten that. But still, what if you want to go indefinitely? I don’t want to the the genre thing, because I don’t even use the genres, as it’s always so subjective and imprecise. None of my tracks have anything in their genre tags. I want to be able to use the intelligence of Genius. Basically all I’m asking for is for Genius Playlists to be able to go on indefinitely.

Also, I think it’s a real shame that Genius Mixes can’t go through iTunes DJ.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
Haha I’d forgotten that. But still, what if you want to go indefinitely? I don’t want to the the genre thing, because I don’t even use the genres, as it’s always so subjective and imprecise. None of my tracks have anything in their genre tags. I want to be able to use the intelligence of Genius. Basically all I’m asking for is for Genius Playlists to be able to go on indefinitely.

Also, I think it’s a real shame that Genius Mixes can’t go through iTunes DJ.

Do you have infinity songs?
I don't think you quite have a grasp on how this thing works...

devburke

Oct 16, 2008
Do you have infinity songs?
I don't think you quite have a grasp on how this thing works...

Well Genius Mixes go on indefinitely, don’t they? Party Shuffle (excuse me, iTunes DJ) goes on indefinitely. Sure, they repeat eventually, but I’d like to at least have the option to do that with a station I create myself.

devburke

Oct 16, 2008

I’d forgotten that since I usually only make genius playlists on my iPod. Is there a way to do it there that I don’t know about?

MadGoat

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2007
Canada

You need to broaden your musical library.

Seriously how many rap "songs" can you listen to before it all blends together? 3? 4?

devburke

Oct 16, 2008
You need to broaden your musical library.

Seriously how many rap "songs" can you listen to before it all blends together? 3? 4?

I’ll agree that he should broaden if he only listens to one genre, but don’t be too close-minded yourself. There’s some good and varied hip-hop out there. Don’t think what you hear on the radio is all there is. That’s just pop rap.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.