PDA

View Full Version : Portable firewire hardrive

jobrien
Sep 11, 2009, 09:36 AM
Ok,
So in my film program at school we are required to get a external harddrive.
It needs to be firewire and at least 300gb.
I decided i want a portable one so that i dont need to worry about plugging it into power when im around with my macbook.
So. I THINK ive narrowed it down to these 3.
Im open to other options though. I would like to keep it at or around 200.

Lacie little disk 500gb firewire - 301842 $150
Lacie rugged all terrain 500gb firewire - 301371 - $185
WD my passport studio 500gb firewire - WDMT5000TN - 190

Now, ive heard good things about all of them. Keep in mind it will constantly be in a backpack, and may possible be getting bumped around. I like the size of the little disk, look of the passport and durability of the all terrain.

Any tips? suggestions? anything. I need it by tuesday. So i need to decide fast

Thanks in advance,

GGJstudios
Sep 11, 2009, 09:41 AM
http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firewire/on-the-go

jobrien
Sep 11, 2009, 09:56 AM
those are awesome. Only problem being as im in canada, the chances of it making it to my door by 8am tuesday is practically slim to none. BUT i may consider buying one of those for my own personal projects. They are so well priced! and look cool as hell!

jobrien
Sep 11, 2009, 10:37 AM
Anybody have specific opinions on the my passport studio? It seems like for every good review there like 4 bad ones. Anyone on here have experience?

mnool.edit
Sep 11, 2009, 10:54 AM
It largely depends on what you'll be editing, as that is what I'm assuming you'll be using the portable drive for. For any non-HD footage, the My Passport Studio should do fine, but if you're looking to do anything in high-definition, I would look for a portable drive having nothing short of FW800 and a 7200 rpm drive. HD really puts a beating on hard drives. I speak from experience, just so you won't be left with a hole in your wallet. :p

1ne
Sep 11, 2009, 11:04 AM
I was looking at 500GB Iomega FW800 (http://www.frontierpc.com/ProductDetails.aspx?eId=1013188836). It seems like the price change everyday. :confused::confused::confused:

Yesterday it was at $160. Today $180. Go Figure...

_

jobrien
Sep 11, 2009, 11:32 AM
well the my passport has firewire 800. I will be editing mostly sd this year, but i will be doing lots of hd on my own.
I think the lacie all terrain may be a good choice. The idea of having a tough harddrive for when im on set and everything seems like a good idea