PDA

View Full Version : Steve Ballmer Mocks iPhone-Toting Microsoft Employee

brent0saurus
Sep 11, 2009, 06:14 AM
Click here (http://digg.com/d313vtI) to read a quite amusing story about Steve Ballmer pretending to smash an iPhone owned by one of his employees.

Also, if you have a Digg account, please Digg it! I'd love for this to hit the front page!

Fizzoid
Sep 11, 2009, 06:24 AM
Maybe he should focus his efforts on getting Windows Mobile to actually work! :rolleyes:

bigjnyc
Sep 11, 2009, 06:25 AM
What a tool. At least bill gates was cool calm and Collected most of the time

MacBoobsPro
Sep 11, 2009, 06:27 AM
If anyone puts my iphone on the ground they will be the ones being stomped on!

Kristenn
Sep 11, 2009, 06:29 AM
I always found Steve Ballmer funny. Especially after seeing Pirates of Silicon valley. But sometimes he is a little to over the top!

I do like how mellow Bill gates is though. He is a total nerd but he just seems really sweet :o

theLimit
Sep 11, 2009, 07:35 AM
Non-digg/blog direct link (http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/11/ce-oh-no-he-didnt-part-lxii-steve-ballmer-publicly-ridicules/). Why do people feel the need to have clicks routed through their crappy blog to get to a story?

On topic: Ballmer is a raving maniac, but it sure is fun to watch him act like an ass.

Rodimus Prime
Sep 11, 2009, 10:04 AM
From what I can tell it is more not to Humiliate the guy but just to ralley the troops so to speak. Depending on how it was done a lot of people could see it as it was all in good fun.

MacRumors
Sep 11, 2009, 10:27 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/09/11/steve-ballmer-mocks-iphone-toting-microsoft-employee/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2009/09/11/110755-steve-ballmer-or-lost_300.jpg
An alleged photo of Ballmer taken with the borrowed iPhone, courtesy of Engadget

Techflash reports (http://www.techflash.com/seattle/2009/09/ballmer_spots_microsoft_employee_with_iphone_at_company_meeting.html) that Steve Ballmer playfully took an iPhone from an employee at a company meeting in Seattle yesterday and then pretended to destroy it:

As the story goes, it happened when Ballmer was making his big entrance -- slapping hands, running around, and generally whooping things up, as is his tradition at these events. That was when he spotted someone at field level, allegedly a member of the Windows group, using an iPhone to take his picture. Ballmer grabbed the Apple device from the employee and made some funny remarks as everyone booed. Then he put it on the ground and pretended to stomp on it, before walking away.

A couple of Microsoft employees mentioned this incident via Twitter:

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2009/09/11/110754-ballmer-tweet-1_300.png

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2009/09/11/110754-ballmer-tweet-2_300.png

Article Link: Steve Ballmer Mocks iPhone-Toting Microsoft Employee (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/09/11/steve-ballmer-mocks-iphone-toting-microsoft-employee/)

Wotan31
Sep 11, 2009, 10:33 AM
How old is Ballmer? Either that's a really bad photo, or he's in his mid-80's now. Then again, the iPhone does have probably the ******tiest camera of any cell phone, ever.

bigandy
Sep 11, 2009, 10:42 AM
Mocking a product that's not only well designed* but also very successful, while your own attempts in the market are as feeble and bin-worthy as theirs are is just a little dumb.

But what else have we come to expect from good old Ballmer?

* With lots of room for improvement, obviously

polaris20
Sep 11, 2009, 10:45 AM
Look, I like Windows 7. I like Windows 2008 Server, a lot. But Windows Mobile is absolute dog poo. Worst mobile device OS available right now.

Ballmer has no room for being angry at anyone but his own company for someone wanting to use an iPhone (or Blackberry, or Pre, or Android, or Symbian, which are all way better than WM6.1 and 6.5 Beta).

big_malk
Sep 11, 2009, 10:45 AM
At first I thought it was Balmer getting booed for what he was doing, but I assume it was the iPhone/employee that was getting booed?

It would have been better if the employee was a member of the Windows Mobile team :D

mocciat
Sep 11, 2009, 10:51 AM
Well I guess "if you can't beat them mock them" is the new slogan at Microsoft. Funny thing is it takes Ballmer to "destroy" an iphone when Microsoft products destroy themselves.

VenusianSky
Sep 11, 2009, 11:01 AM
This is stupid. How is this macrumors news? Just sounds like he was trying to be silly.

Unspoken Demise
Sep 11, 2009, 11:02 AM
This is stupid. How is this macrumors news? Just sounds like he was tyring to be silly.

Ballmer doesnt really have to try at that.

intrepid00
Sep 11, 2009, 11:03 AM
Don't be idiots. He was clearly joking around. I'm sure if Jobs had a sense of humor he'd do the same thing with a blackberry, pre or windows mobile phone.

RaZaK
Sep 11, 2009, 11:04 AM
At first I thought it was Balmer getting booed for what he was doing, but I assume it was the iPhone/employee that was getting booed?

It would have been better if the employee was a member of the Windows Mobile team :D

lol, big_malk FTW :D

optophobia
Sep 11, 2009, 11:09 AM
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b10/dwardmac/protip.jpg

bigmc6000
Sep 11, 2009, 11:10 AM
Don't be idiots. He was clearly joking around. I'm sure if Jobs had a sense of humor he'd do the same thing with a blackberry, pre or windows mobile phone.

Nah, they wouldn't have hired stupid people in the first place ;)

NT1440
Sep 11, 2009, 11:12 AM
This is stupid. How is this macrumors news? Just sounds like he was trying to be silly.

Exactly, I think this was just normal office type joking around, and because of the interwebz Apple vs MS feud, they played it up.

guzhogi
Sep 11, 2009, 11:23 AM
I'll admit, it was a little stupid for the employee to bring in a competing product, especially if you're taking a picture of YOUR BOSS with it.

On the other hand, if I were Steve Ballmer, I'd think why would one of my employees want a rival's product instead of our own & try to make my own product better rather than bashing the rival product.

mrbrown
Sep 11, 2009, 11:33 AM
On the other hand, if I were Steve Ballmer, I'd think why would one of my employees want a rival's product instead of our own & try to make my own product better rather than bashing the rival product.

You know, this reminds me of something Southwest Airline's cofounder used to do - he frequently took competitors' planes. Why? He wanted to see what they were doing right and wrong.

Couldn't the same be said about a Microsoft employee with an iPhone or an Apple employee with a Blackberry or WinMo device?

twoodcc
Sep 11, 2009, 11:36 AM
i'm not surprised by his behavior. in fact, i'm surprised that he didn't smash it

RoboCop001
Sep 11, 2009, 11:39 AM
You know, this reminds me of something Southwest Airline's cofounder used to do - he frequently took competitors' planes. Why? He wanted to see what they were doing right and wrong.

Couldn't the same be said about a Microsoft employee with an iPhone or an Apple employee with a Blackberry or WinMo device?

Consider, if you will, Godzilla.

He merely attempts to taste what is good and what is bad about the cities.

And then creates his own city afterward.

If they had let him.

Why! Why can't they just let him build his city! .... a city of super lizards! WITH ATOMIC RAY EYES!? AND JELLEYBEAN DISPENSERS FOR EARS!!

A man can dream....

big_malk
Sep 11, 2009, 11:47 AM

I'm sure Microsoft do buy rival products to examine and copy improve upon.
But I doubt the employee deliberately bought an iPhone just so he could see what Apple is doing right and wrong with it. Plus, it says he's in the Windows team, not the Windows Mobile team.
This does make me wonder if he has a Mac at home!

BeyondtheTech
Sep 11, 2009, 11:48 AM
Doesn't he realize he's stomping on his own license of ActiveSync? That's money, dude.

carmenodie
Sep 11, 2009, 11:51 AM
Balmer ain't worth the fat around his middle aged heart!
He and Gates did nothing but make their OS available to every goddamn pc vendor through a license agreement and the vendors were able to make cheap ass pcs cause they didn't have to deal with a OS. Now you know why your ****ing pc from Best Buy is so freaking cheap. Apple from day one did OS and Hardware. Yeah their stuff may come a bit more pricey but at least they control the intellectual product! That is key baby. The pc vendors can't touch MS's OS for squat. And they could care less. All they do is flood the market with pcs while MS cleans up in royalties.
**** Balmer. He's an MBA not a tech guy. Woz is a brilliant engineer and Jobs is a gifted manager who knows tech like Bernanke knows the economy.

seashellz
Sep 11, 2009, 11:56 AM
weve got those DINOSAURS on the run!

cleanup
Sep 11, 2009, 11:57 AM
Slow news day I guess. Wouldn't be reported if it was anyone else. Not a big deal, since he was just kidding around. Same thing would happen if a guy brought a Japanese car to an American muscle car rally, or etc. Big whoop.

NT1440
Sep 11, 2009, 12:00 PM
You know, Jobs would have actually crushed a competitors phone. He's been known to destroy computers for the same reason.

nick9191
Sep 11, 2009, 12:04 PM
Ballmer reminds me so much of Al Bundy. I actually have respect for him because of this.

newcronos
Sep 11, 2009, 12:12 PM
Nah, they wouldn't have hired stupid people in the first place ;)

This is true. These smart people wouldn't have on them a Blackberry, Pre, Windows Mobile *or* an iPhone :D

Michael73
Sep 11, 2009, 12:18 PM
For 5 years I worked in a nondescript 5 story office building on the Northside of Indianapolis. On the 4th floor was a very plain Microsoft office that occupied about 1/5 of the square footage of the entire floor. I'm not really sure what went on in that office but I always found it funny how many of people with MS keycards came and went with iPhones in their hands. I never said anything in the elevator although I was tempted on a number of occasions :D

phineas
Sep 11, 2009, 12:23 PM
It sure would be nice to put the :apple:apple logo:apple: on that big bald head of his, either drawn with Sharpie's or a really strong glue.:):apple:

herbalizer
Sep 11, 2009, 12:39 PM
I live/work right next to Micro$oft and I see blue badge people with iPhones all the time in public. Friends that work there report the same thing.

A good friend of mine that's on the Win mobile team openly admits the iPhone is a much better device. I demoed his phone running win 6.5 beta and wow, what a clunky ass pile of dung. It's pathetic.

Ballmer shows no class. What a jackass. You can't talk sh** when your own OS is complete crap.

Cybbe
Sep 11, 2009, 12:48 PM
Criticize Ballmer as much as you want. I think we all know an Apple employee being caught by Jobs with a competing product would be all but finished.

53buick
Sep 11, 2009, 12:52 PM
i think this is hilarious good fun

herbalizer
Sep 11, 2009, 12:52 PM
Criticize Ballmer as much as you want. I think we all know an Apple employee being caught by Jobs with a competing product would be all but finished.

I highly doubt that. Maybe when he was young, but not anymore.

NT1440
Sep 11, 2009, 12:55 PM
I highly doubt that. Maybe when he was young, but not anymore.

I'm not sure he's got the weight to break a product at this point. =/

Ballmer on the other hand.....:p

hchavarria
Sep 11, 2009, 12:55 PM
iPhone vs Win Mobile...a comparison without comparison...Two different OS's and as I see it targeted at two different groups. I carry my iphone around but plan to switch when the phone i'm waiting for to be released is released. I think both devices are good in their own way and they both have their strong points and weak points. I have used both devices for a long time and love some things and hate some things from both...Neither of the two are perfect devices and the perfect device depends on your need. There are plenty of windows mobile followers as they are apple, palm, blackberry, and every other phone in the market.

As fas as what Ballmer did I think it was meant as an office joke but bloggers alway trying to stir things up start taking it out of context.

Shasterball
Sep 11, 2009, 12:57 PM
Eh, that is actually pretty funny. I could see Jobs freaking out and firing someone for using a Windows based phone. :)

optophobia
Sep 11, 2009, 12:59 PM
When I was in line for my iPhone 3G[S] a couple of MS employees were there stating that the iPhone was the only mobile they couldn't get a discount on. As we moved into the store, about 20 other MS employees exchanged hellos to them while walking out with their new iPhones.

Harpo
Sep 11, 2009, 01:05 PM
Ballmer really seems to have no taste. Taste is a matter of taste, of course, but his nasty tone toward Apple comes off as very immature. To be antagonistic toward Apple is natural; it is the way he expresses that antagonism. Flippancy and arrogance never look good. (I am thinking of other things he has said, for example early remarks about the iPhone after it was announced.) When Jobs makes a remark about Microsoft in public, it is, as far as I have seen, a much more friendly type of joking, as opposed to Ballmer's hateful tone.

In this particular case, there is not enough information in that article to tell. It is quite reasonable to joke with the employee for using an iPhone. It's a bit of a slap-in-the-face gesture to present an iPhone at a Microsoft event, and it probably just didn't occur to the employee; Ballmer, realizing the employee didn't realize that, was in a position to make fun--friendly fun. Like when you say something to a friend which, literally taken and out of context, sounds like an insult, and the friend is mock-offended. Given Ballmer's insane (though, to me, tasteless and excruciating) style--all that jumping and whooping--pretending to trample the iPhone fits right in. It would all depend on tone, gestures, and facial expressions.

What kind of man Ballmer is and Jobs is, none of us know for sure; I restrict my remarks entirely to politics and public image.

fishmoose
Sep 11, 2009, 01:08 PM
Maybe Ballmer should try to run the company he totally destroyed when he took it over?

Cybbe
Sep 11, 2009, 01:12 PM
Harpo, are you joking? I agree that Ballmer sometimes comes off bad in public, but Apple has based their marketing the last few years on nasty, arrogant flippancy towards Microsoft, the same things you deride Ballmer for. Is that cool as long as its done "in style"?

pimentoLoaf
Sep 11, 2009, 01:13 PM
I'm more interested in what someone named "cuddlebottoms" does at Microsoft. :D

eastercat
Sep 11, 2009, 01:36 PM
Eh, that is actually pretty funny. I could see Jobs freaking out and firing someone for using a Windows based phone. :)
I could see Jobs doing that too. Actually, I thought Ballmer would've gone ballistic--and not in the joking way.

mattwolfmatt
Sep 11, 2009, 01:40 PM
This reminds me of when my dad used to work for a US auto parts corporation. He always felt he had to buy a US car. It was an unwritten rule. You just NEVER saw foreign cars in the lot.

The very week he was laid off from his job (and got another job elsewhere), he bought a Honda.

jmcguckin
Sep 11, 2009, 01:41 PM
well, regardless of how I feel about Ballmer's blatantly unprofessional nature, it does sound like he was just trying to make a joke out of this... unfortunately, though, he's got a long track record of immature behavior, which I'm sure is a reason that people would take his actions in this situation out of context.

moving on...

Drag'nGT
Sep 11, 2009, 02:02 PM
I live/work right next to Micro$oft and I see blue badge people with iPhones all the time in public. Friends that work there report the same thing.

A good friend of mine that's on the Win mobile team openly admits the iPhone is a much better device. I demoed his phone running win 6.5 beta and wow, what a clunky ass pile of dung. It's pathetic.

Ballmer shows no class. What a jackass. You can't talk sh** when your own OS is complete crap.

I wouldn't be surprised to find a room or two of Macs in Microsoft's facility... not because they make some software for it but because they want to know what Apple's doing so they can give it a new name twist it up a bit and then put it in their next OS.

iphones4evry1
Sep 11, 2009, 02:10 PM
Steve Jobs should make a public announcement, offering to hire any Microsoft employee that is terminated because they have an iPhone. :D :apple:

Maybe he should focus his efforts on getting Windows Mobile to actually work! :rolleyes:

Maybe instead of threatening his own employees for owning competitors' products, Ballmer should instead make a product that his employees actually WANT to own. :rolleyes:

It is good to see though that he did not immediately grab the employee and terminate him, but rather joked about stomping on the phone. Why is this good? Because unlike the monopoly-1990s-early2000s Microsoft that was closed-minded, this shows that he is open-minded and accepting that his competitors exist and have good products. He should encourage his employees to own iPhones if they in fact think it is better than the Microsoft product. Why? Because in order to beat the competition, you first must know what the competition looks like, and they best way to do that is to own an iPhone. I would bet you money that Microsoft Windows Mobile employees bought iPhones on the corporate budget simply so that they could analyze them so that they know where the competition stands. In the same way that Mercedes likely has a BMW and Lexus inside their secret grounds, BMW and Lexus likely have a Mercedes inside their secret grounds. It is imperative to know where the competition stands if you intend to beat them.

Although Apple does not have to worry too much right now, I'm sure the iPhone developers team has one of every cell phone on the market inside their labs. Yes, a RAZR is not a threat to the iPhone, but it's still valuable to know how it works and what the competition has done.

tk421
Sep 11, 2009, 02:12 PM
Wow. What's the big deal? It was a joke. Steve Jobs makes plenty of jokes about competitors, too.

Nicky G
Sep 11, 2009, 02:40 PM
Consider, if you will, Godzilla.

He merely attempts to taste what is good and what is bad about the cities.

And then creates his own city afterward.

If they had let him.

Why! Why can't they just let him build his city! .... a city of super lizards! WITH ATOMIC RAY EYES!? AND JELLEYBEAN DISPENSERS FOR EARS!!

A man can dream....

This post actually makes more sense than most of the garbage posted on Macrumors... :D

AWeber3030
Sep 11, 2009, 02:43 PM
Yeah that's a really good way to try and promote a healthy business. Maybe if Windows Mobile wasn't so laggy and buggy that person wouldn't have had an iPhone. You don't see Steve Jobs at Apple events snatching peoples Blackberrys and criticising them for not having an iPhone do you? Way to go you idiot. I never liked Steve Ballmer anyways.

Doctor Q
Sep 11, 2009, 02:48 PM
At last we know how this happened!

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2009/08/18/123054-exploded-iphone.jpg
original news story (http://www.macrumors.com/2009/08/18/apple-digging-into-accounts-of-iphone-explosions-in-europe/)

-aggie-
Sep 11, 2009, 02:54 PM

original news story (http://www.macrumors.com/2009/08/18/apple-digging-into-accounts-of-iphone-explosions-in-europe/)

Do you think he'll be able to get the screen replaced for free? :)

intrepid00
Sep 11, 2009, 02:54 PM

Only if he caught you in a elavator.

BornAgainMac
Sep 11, 2009, 02:58 PM
Too bad Steve Jobs wasn't in the room as a guest.

Steve Jobs: "Ballmer, you took his iPhone away, how 'bout tryin' taking my iPhone away."

Unspoken Demise
Sep 11, 2009, 03:00 PM

Steve Jobs: "Ballmer, you took his iPhone away, how 'bout tryin' taking my iPhone away."

And so the age old battle begins.

Doctor Q
Sep 11, 2009, 03:13 PM
And so the age old battle begins.
I don't think Steve Jobs should get into any hand-to-hand combat until he's had a little more ice cream. In the meantime, I'm sure he can dish out withering stares with the best of 'em.

Unspoken Demise
Sep 11, 2009, 03:14 PM
I don't think Steve Jobs should get into any hand-to-hand combat until he's had a little more ice cream. In the meantime, I'm sure he can dish out withering stares with the best of 'em.

Im convinced his black turtleneck is some sort of weapon. Laso of truth? Maybe it expands and becomes a net?

-aggie-
Sep 11, 2009, 03:17 PM
Im convinced his black turtleneck is some sort of weapon. Laso of truth? Maybe it expands and becomes a net?

Nope, that's to cover the hickies.

djdole
Sep 11, 2009, 03:42 PM

For most Microsoft teams, it actually makes A LOT of sense to have Macs on hand. MS is much more free and supportive with their software than Apple. (You can easily install Windows & Linux on a VM, but good luck doing the same with OSX.) Additionally, there DOZENS of teams at MS that support OSX or Safari for running/viewing their specific products it makes sense to have a Mac to test on. This is especially true with the trend towards cloud computing.

But unfortunately for Apple users this is always going to be the case until Apple lightens up on their irrational grip on hardware exclusivity and/or actually hire some talented OEM devs to support third-party hardware as MS and Linux has had to do for WELL over a decade now.

RoboCop001
Sep 11, 2009, 03:53 PM
This post actually makes more sense than most of the garbage posted on Macrumors... :D

As representative of Godzilla, I hereby offer you the job of City Attache to the Rest Of The Universe.

In this job you will be required to communicate, to the best of your abilities, any message to or from Godzilla, hereinafter referred to as Godzilla.

Do you accept?

Should you accept, you will reap all the benefits of Avarice and Atlantis combined, for Godzilla knows where they are.

He will send his army of Super Lizards unto the world. Not for domination, but merely to taste other cities.

Consider, if you will, Mothra.

She will fly around all the cities, sprinkling her Atomic Dust unto the peoples. And the peoples will transform! Transform into MEGA PEOPLE! With NUCLEAR BREATH!! AND SOUR CANDY TWIZZLERS FOR ARMS!!!!

But take notice that you mustn't disturb Godzilla and Mothra when they mate.

Please consider our proposal.

Godzilla endorses the new iPod Touch.

djdole
Sep 11, 2009, 03:55 PM

HA!
In all due respect, in a fight between Balmer and Jobs, Jobs would be pummeled.
Health issues aside (a stiff breeze now-a-days would send Jobs into hiding),
Apple would either let loose their rabid attorneys or would have their higher-ups calling MS to plead "Please *sniff* stop hurting Apple! *sniff*".
:rolleyes:

MICMAC247
Sep 11, 2009, 04:06 PM
It would have been funny if Ballmer stomped it and then shelled out $400 for a new one for the guy. That would be pretty funny to see the look on that guys face.:D

happy2000hk
Sep 11, 2009, 04:11 PM
He looks like the crazy bald dude from Saw in the picture. Freaks me out thinking about it.

websyndicate
Sep 11, 2009, 04:21 PM
I need to get a blue badge in before next year. I have an orange badge. Only blue badge employees get to go :(

Xibalba
Sep 11, 2009, 04:53 PM
Bill Gates is shaking his head wondering why he gave the reins to his empire to such an individual like Ballmer...

While Microsoft does make some good products, it would be dreadfully oppressive to use any mobile computing device besides the iPhone.

floatingspirit
Sep 11, 2009, 05:03 PM
I'll admit, it was a little stupid for the employee to bring in a competing product, especially if you're taking a picture of YOUR BOSS with it.

But they don't even HAVE a comparable product!

floatingspirit
Sep 11, 2009, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by djdole Quote:
HA!
In all due respect, in a fight between Balmer and Jobs, Jobs would be pummeled......:

Nah man, there an app for that. :)

inkswamp
Sep 11, 2009, 05:19 PM

If I'm not mistaken, MS has announced plans to release iPhone apps which means somewhere on the MS campus, there are employees working with iPhones and probably using them in their daily life to get a sense of how an app would best work in day-to-day usage.

I'm sure Steve Ballmer is aware of that and this whole thing was nothing more than an in-joke between the two, no stupidity involved on either side.

HA!
In all due respect, in a fight between Balmer and Jobs, Jobs would be pummeled.

As long as there are no chairs nearby, I think Steve would stand a decent chance.

philipt42
Sep 11, 2009, 06:07 PM
Pretty funny story, but i don't really like the article linked to. It's just...snarky.

mavis
Sep 11, 2009, 06:15 PM
i'm not surprised by his behavior. in fact, i'm surprised that he didn't smash itSame here. Rather stupid to bring an iPhone to a M$ company meeting and even more ignorant to use it to take a picture of Steve Ballmer while sitting in the front row! :rolleyes:

g3signal
Sep 11, 2009, 06:15 PM
For most Microsoft teams, it actually makes A LOT of sense to have Macs on hand. MS is much more free and supportive with their software than Apple. (You can easily install Windows & Linux on a VM, but good luck doing the same with OSX.) Additionally, there DOZENS of teams at MS that support OSX or Safari for running/viewing their specific products it makes sense to have a Mac to test on. This is especially true with the trend towards cloud computing.

But unfortunately for Apple users this is always going to be the case until Apple lightens up on their irrational grip on hardware exclusivity and/or actually hire some talented OEM devs to support third-party hardware as MS and Linux has had to do for WELL over a decade now.

I read that and still confused as to what you have a problem with, just seems Apple.

gnasher729
Sep 11, 2009, 06:19 PM
well, regardless of how I feel about Ballmer's blatantly unprofessional nature, it does sound like he was just trying to make a joke out of this... unfortunately, though, he's got a long track record of immature behavior, which I'm sure is a reason that people would take his actions in this situation out of context.

If the boss of your company, a person who can fire you any time he likes (and who has the lawyers to get away with it even if it is illegal) takes your phone and pretends to destroy it, that is bullying. Plain and simple bullying. So there is this big guy, running the biggest software company in the world, has billions in the bank, and all he is is a ******* bully who can't handle a bit of competition. No wonder that the whole company is the same, if that is what their leadership does.

SnowLeopard2008
Sep 11, 2009, 06:40 PM
Ballmer should put his time/efforts into making something that works without first being fixed. He should start with himself.

Bill Gates was more cool, in a mature kind of way. He's not what we teenagers consider "cool" but more like a cool adult. He was more "Microsoft-y" than Ballmer. Ballmer belongs in a circus, you could do whatever you want and get paid. As long as you make people laugh at you. Not with you, at you.

maokh
Sep 11, 2009, 07:01 PM
Steve Ballmer is a walking HR violation. Depending on how forcefully the phone was removed from the employee's hands, whether the employee enjoyed it (or felt violated/etc) .. no one is above the law.

Bevz
Sep 11, 2009, 07:28 PM
LOL - he's such a twat....

rxse7en
Sep 11, 2009, 08:36 PM
Im convinced his black turtleneck is some sort of weapon. Laso of truth? Maybe it expands and becomes a net?Maybe a biological weapon if the rumors about his hygiene are true. :D

gkarris
Sep 11, 2009, 08:55 PM
Steve Jobs should make a public announcement, offering to hire any Microsoft employee that is terminated because they have an iPhone. :D :apple:

There goes the whole Microsoft Office for Macintosh Team... :eek:

:D

JSFEng
Sep 11, 2009, 08:56 PM
Ballmer just sold another 500,000 iPhones! Thanks, Steve! I always wondered what you did for a living...

kdarling
Sep 11, 2009, 08:59 PM
Steve Ballmer is a walking HR violation. Depending on how forcefully the phone was removed from the employee's hands, whether the employee enjoyed it (or felt violated/etc) .. no one is above the law.

Balmer joking around, is pretty tame compared to Jobs, who is infamous for his actual tantrums (used to scare his people into working harder).

Jobs's employees are also known to often go out of their way to avoid passing near him in case he's in one of his random firing moods.

But I agree, any manager who thinks screaming or making fun of people is the way to rule, is not a good one to work for. Neither one of the two examples here are exactly full of class.

leandromp
Sep 11, 2009, 09:35 PM

ur kidding, right?
Is his money, he can buy whatever he frikin wants!!!

asphyxiafeeling
Sep 11, 2009, 09:47 PM
...Then again, the iPhone does have probably the ******tiest camera of any cell phone, ever.

UMMM WHAT?

iPhone's camera is pretty good. I think it's in the "above average" as far as camera phones go.

Harpo
Sep 11, 2009, 10:25 PM
Harpo, are you joking? I agree that Ballmer sometimes comes off bad in public, but Apple has based their marketing the last few years on nasty, arrogant flippancy towards Microsoft, the same things you deride Ballmer for. Is that cool as long as its done "in style"?

I was not talking about Apple and Microsoft; I was talking about Jobs and Ballmer. As far as marketing goes, it seems to me (though I am not as familiar with Microsoft's marketing) that Apple usually throws the first punch, and it would be better if they did not attack Microsoft so much. It would be much better for them to tout the Mac's best unique features without actually saying "and Windows sucks"; for example, advertising the Mac's lack of viruses and malware without badmouthing the risks of Windows would, I think, be every bit as effective, because everyone already knows about Windows viruses.

I don't find Microsoft's responses to be in good taste, but they're not in poor taste. Apple's "Get a Mac" ads are in poor taste for their petty attacks, but simultaneously in good taste for being concise, well-made, and often amusing. The choice of John Hodgman was a matter of good taste--he is able to be very funny in that part. The choice of Jerry Seinfeld was inexplicable, except to throw another famous face in there; his talents are very limited and were not used at all.

But certainly things like "Redmond, start your photocopiers" would be better left unsaid.

cohibadad
Sep 11, 2009, 10:54 PM
Haha. I usually like to think of Ballmer as a complete goon but this is kinda cute. Playful is better than crazy IMO.

bretm
Sep 11, 2009, 11:26 PM

You really think so? I would've fired the guy on the spot. You don't own an Apple Product if you work at MS. And if you work at Apple, you shouldn't own a MS product, sans Windows on boot camp.

If you work at Coke or Pepsi you are not permitted to have the competitor's product in your home nor are you allowed to visit facilities serving solely the competitor's product. Now obviously the latter is tough to enforce. Probably best just to not mention you're an employee of either when in the wrong establishment. But having the competitors product in your home would be a big no no. Your friends and colleagues know where you work and you start to not look like a team player, etc. Not to mention if the competition picks up on it they can run ads, etc. Kinda like we're harping on the fact that a MS employee has an iPhone and it makes MS look stupid and Apple look great.

bretm
Sep 11, 2009, 11:28 PM
UMMM WHAT?

iPhone's camera is pretty good. I think it's in the "above average" as far as camera phones go.

Takes amazing videos too! Maybe it doesn't have a flash, but beyond that it's probably one of the best cell cameras out there. 3GS that is.

bretm
Sep 11, 2009, 11:34 PM
If the boss of your company, a person who can fire you any time he likes (and who has the lawyers to get away with it even if it is illegal) takes your phone and pretends to destroy it, that is bullying. Plain and simple bullying. So there is this big guy, running the biggest software company in the world, has billions in the bank, and all he is is a ******* bully who can't handle a bit of competition. No wonder that the whole company is the same, if that is what their leadership does.

Nothing illegal about firing your employee because he uses a competitor's product. Nothing illegal about firing him just because you don't like them for that matter.

synth3tik
Sep 11, 2009, 11:35 PM
Kill 'em all. Kill 'em.:D

bruinsrme
Sep 11, 2009, 11:40 PM
You really think so? I would've fired the guy on the spot. You don't own an Apple Product if you work at MS. And if you work at Apple, you shouldn't own a MS product, sans Windows on boot camp.

If you work at Coke or Pepsi you are not permitted to have the competitor's product in your home nor are you allowed to visit facilities serving solely the competitor's product. Now obviously the latter is tough to enforce. Probably best just to not mention you're an employee of either when in the wrong establishment. But having the competitors product in your home would be a big no no. Your friends and colleagues know where you work and you start to not look like a team player, etc. Not to mention if the competition picks up on it they can run ads, etc. Kinda like we're harping on the fact that a MS employee has an iPhone and it makes MS look stupid and Apple look great.

Don't bite the hand that pays you.

Compile 'em all
Sep 11, 2009, 11:49 PM
Exactly, I think this was just normal office type joking around, and because of the interwebz Apple vs MS feud, they played it up.

I guess you don't know steve ballmer then.

puckhead193
Sep 12, 2009, 12:33 AM
Look, I like Windows 7. I like Windows 2008 Server, a lot. But Windows Mobile is absolute dog poo. Worst mobile device OS available right now.

can't be much worst then verizon standard OS they put on the non-smart phones :eek:
is it possible?

Gasu E.
Sep 12, 2009, 01:07 AM
I hope the iPod doesn't have permanent Ballmer sweat stains.:eek:

cjmillsnun
Sep 12, 2009, 03:02 AM

Several MS Employees on the Windows team have Macs. Also how do the Mac software group at MS function without Macs? There are 2 MS apps on the iPhone. So for me this is a non issue.

guzhogi
Sep 12, 2009, 08:15 AM
ur kidding, right?
Is his money, he can buy whatever he frikin wants!!!

As you know, image is everything. It's basically saying, "My company's product isn't good enough for me." Needing a rival product at work to do your job is one thing (like the Mac division), for personal use, it's something else. While I don't mind him having an iPhone, but using it in such a public and open way that gets people's attention looks bad. Kinda like when you were in high school / college, and you and went to a football or basketball game, you don't cheer for the other team. Even worse, in a war, you don't purposely kill people on your own side.

[hypothetical situation] And under your logic, saying that a person can use their own money however they see fit, I guess it's okay with you if I hire a hitman to kill your whole family and slowly & painfully kill you is fine since it's my money.[/hypothetical situation] I wouldn't do that, but you should get my point. Might ≠ right IMO.

cleanup
Sep 12, 2009, 09:24 AM

I don't know why, but that photo always makes me uncomfortable. Reminds me of a harlequin fetus. Do not Google that term if you are made uncomfortable by pictures of grotesque medical conditions/have strong empathy/can be made queasy by unsightly pictures. :( TBH, it is actually one of the scariest/saddest things I have ever seen in my life.

Dagless
Sep 12, 2009, 10:20 AM
^ You bugger. I just had to Google that didn't I...

When I want to read a story I want the source of the news, I don't want to read a further interpretation of it. As the page loads I apple+f and type "source" and continue my journey for news.

maokh
Sep 12, 2009, 10:23 AM
Balmer joking around, is pretty tame compared to Jobs, who is infamous for his actual tantrums (used to scare his people into working harder).

Jobs's employees are also known to often go out of their way to avoid passing near him in case he's in one of his random firing moods.

But I agree, any manager who thinks screaming or making fun of people is the way to rule, is not a good one to work for. Neither one of the two examples here are exactly full of class.

Yeah, well .. a lot of these guys have common roots. However, i lost count of how many tantrum throwing executives there are in this world. My wife has had some pretty funny stories.

ct2k7
Sep 12, 2009, 01:22 PM
This story doesn't sound real.

friedduck
Sep 12, 2009, 01:31 PM
Ballmer's an idiot. This is the guy who said that the iPhone wouldn't get traction, and who ignores his own products' faults at his own peril. We finally upgraded to Office 2007, and it's a fresh round of problems and bad design. I was hoping for something good but they're terrible--the worst version yet.

We still use some MSFT products that we like but that number is shrinking. It's time for new management that focuses on excellence in their products, and not just bluster.

gnasher729
Sep 12, 2009, 04:43 PM
Nothing illegal about firing your employee because he uses a competitor's product. Nothing illegal about firing him just because you don't like them for that matter.

I didn't say "illegal", I said "bullying". And it is illegal in any civilised country, including many states of the USA. By the way, Ballmer doesn't own Microsoft. He runs the company and is responsible to its shareholders. If a good employee is fired because of his choice of phone (which is his personal business) or because Ballmer doesn't like him, then Ballmer is violating his responsibilities to the shareholders.

And there is the small problem that unethical behaviour _will_ bite you in the back at some point. It is just not a good business strategy.

NT1440
Sep 12, 2009, 04:47 PM
I guess you don't know steve ballmer then.

And I'm quite sure you don't either ;)

simsandwhich
Sep 12, 2009, 07:48 PM
Some people actually see this as a Apple vs Microsoft thing...

By the sounds of it it's more of a parody of the Apple vs Microsoft thing.

jlanuez
Sep 12, 2009, 09:15 PM
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7C144 Safari/528.16)

Who cares MacRumors, give us some real news, this worthless Is dribble!

LCN
Sep 13, 2009, 05:33 AM
What a joke... I've tried to live with an HP PDA based on WM for 2.5 years. Complete crap, completely unpredictable. WM crashed every day a few times, without even DOING something. And I'm pretty sure it was no hardware issue... Colleagues & family told me I had never been so hard to reach since I owned this device. I'm IT mgr for a Windows-based engineering environment in the professional life, but everything is on Mac in my own family's life, guess why...? It's always the same story with MS-based products.

dvdhsu
Sep 13, 2009, 01:39 PM

"Uh.... I was just.... Ermm.... trying to improve the Windows experience on Boot Camp, you know? So those Mac users can switch over. Yeah, that's what I was doing.

RedTomato
Sep 14, 2009, 06:21 AM
If you work at Coke or Pepsi you are not permitted to have the competitor's product in your home nor are you allowed to visit facilities serving solely the competitor's product.

Thank god you don't hold any kind of management position. I'm pretty sure you just made that up. A rule like that would be quite frankly illegal in most countries in the world. Try to learn a little more about the distinction between the workplace and private life. Please.

electroshock
Sep 14, 2009, 06:42 AM

Reminds me of the possibly apocryphal story of how, during NeXT development in the mid-'80s, Jobs wanted so badly to fire the engineer who had the gall to propose use of cursor arrow keys on the keyboard, but was talked out of it. :D

MacCurry
Sep 14, 2009, 10:36 PM
If I were Ballmer, I'd have held up the iPhone over my head and said, "hey the fella who bought this iPhone doesn't realize that Apple uses Windows Mobile in ALL of their stores to manage the sales & inventory of the iPhone and ALL other Apple products! HA HA!"

suss2it
Sep 20, 2009, 07:44 PM
Does Windows have their own line of phones or just OS?

Pika
Sep 20, 2009, 09:13 PM
Does Windows have their own line of phones or just OS?

Just the OS

DMann
Sep 21, 2009, 02:51 AM
Ballmer's an idiot. This is the guy who said that the iPhone wouldn't get traction, and who ignores his own products' faults at his own peril. We finally upgraded to Office 2007, and it's a fresh round of problems and bad design. I was hoping for something good but they're terrible--the worst version yet.

We still use some MSFT products that we like but that number is shrinking. It's time for new management that focuses on excellence in their products, and not just bluster.Ballmer is of the primitive mindset of his own past - what had worked, by fluke, in the 1990s: if it marginally works, ship it out, glitches and all - they'll all come around, beggin' for the next update. He & BG, who've chased innovation from the outset - poorly cloned the Mac OS, which grabbed its market share mainly through aggressive OEM sales, licensing, and, currently, pirating. (>40% to date) The remainder of their innovation chasing ventures have not done nearly as well:

Live Search: destroyed by Google.
Bing: destroyed by Google.
Play For Sure: destroyed by Microsoft itself.
MSN Music: destroyed by anyone else who had an online music store.
Zune: destroyed by iPod.
Marketplac∈: destroyed, in advance, by The App Store.
Xbox 360: destroyed by the lowly Wii (and its own horrific failure rate).
Vista: destroyed by users who recognized it for the crap that it is.
Office 2007: a big seller I'm sure (due to long-term IT agreements with MS), with an interface that is more loathed than loved.
Windows Mobile: destroyed by iPhone, and likely soon, by Pre as well.
Microsoft Stores: destroyed, in advance, by Apple Stores.

Almost too abysmal to mention:

Microsoft BOB
Windows ME
MSN messenger
Windows Live Care
Windows Defender
Microsoft Passport
Windows Movie Maker
Internet Explorer
The big-ass Surface table

Ballmer has cetch-up on the brain - throwing chairs, tantrums, and acting out with iPhones in public will not likely change anything, anytime soon. An aggressive follower doth not make a successful leader.

windywoo
Sep 21, 2009, 05:21 AM
In no way was my post MS cheerleading, simply correcting your pack of lies. You've been on the Apple sauce too long, you can't see anything that MS does as a positive thing.

DMann
Sep 21, 2009, 10:04 AM
In no way was my post MS cheerleading, simply correcting feebly reacting to your pack compiled list of lies of salient facts, observations, and opinions based on facts. You've been on the Apple sauce too long, you can't see anything that MS does as a positive thing.Based upon your extreme prejudice, inflammatory remarks, and highly reactive banter, your accusation seems quite paradoxical:

Oh dear what tiny brains Americans have. The merest hint of regulation and you cry socialism. There are very few socialist governments in Europe and stop thinking of the EU as one country.

Dumb as **** Apple fanbois. See, we don't worship at the alter of Balmer like you suck the cock of Jobs. If Linux did everything Windows does I would switch in a heartbeat. I just have to stick up for Windows because Apple is a stuck up, proprietary menace that is even worse than MS, but have better marketing......