Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cpt.Love Wagon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2004
:eek: And it's being shipped as we speak. Now I find out that the new iMacs will be rolling out in September. Would it be smart to try and return this model and wait for the new one? Is that possible? The return policy states that if the item is "reconfigured for your configurations" that they won't take it back and I had 1 gig of ram thrown in. One idea I heard was to simply refuse the package when it arrives - but will my credit card be credited back the difference? Another idea was to contact Apple directly and see if they'd be willing to keep this customer happy. Or should I just clamp down and enjoy dern thing? But sheesh - it was a lot of money and if I can get some extra bells and whitles - well why not?

MacFan25

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2003
USA
Cpt.Love Wagon said:
Another idea was to contact Apple directly and see if they'd be willing to keep this customer happy.
I think that that is the best idea. Explain your situation, and they may be willing to work out a deal with you. I think some people were saying that they had ordered new displays right before the new ones came out, and that Apple offered to upgrade them to the new ones...so they may be able to work something out with you. But at least give it a try...that's what I would do.

x86isslow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2003
USA
You should try and see if they'll do anything for you- I doubt they will.

Quick question- did you actually buy a gig of ram from apple? apple being probably 2 to 3 times the cost of something from crucial.

In any case, enjoy your iMac, it'll serve you well for years, and don't worry about what Apple announces for the next iMac, it probably won't ship until November anyway.

Dr. Dastardly

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
I live in a giant bucket!
You can return any apple product within 10 days no questions asked. You don't even need an excuse. I would return it to a store first if you have any near you though, just for immediate gratification. ;)

RBMaraman

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2002
New Albany, IN
Dr. Dastardly said:
You can return any apple product within 10 days no questions asked. You don't even need an excuse. I would return it to a store first if you have any near you though, just for immediate gratification. ;)

Actually, you can't. BTO's (Built-To-Order, A.K.A. Custom configured machines) can not be returned. Period.

Try contacting Apple and explain your situation. If they will not allow you to return it, place the machine on eBay and sell it immediately.

Whatever you do, DO NOT open it. You will easily be able to sell a new unopened G4 iMac, but you may have to take a little loss.

Good Luck!

raynegus

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2003
I'd just keep it. Sell it next year on eBay if you like the new iMacs. You'll lose a few hundred, but that's always the case with upgrades.

daxdagr8t

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2004
They will update the imac?Im sorry if im ignorant but when did they anounced this?I know that apple said that they wont take any orders regarding imac so i guess they are going to update it but i never heard or read thay the official anouncement. :confused:

tekno_geek911

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2004
Phoenix, AZ
daxdagr8t said:
They will update the imac?Im sorry if im ignorant but when did they anounced this?I know that apple said that they wont take any orders regarding imac so i guess they are going to update it but i never heard or read thay the official anouncement. :confused:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...ajpdDb1jkNYdlO/0.0.7.1.0.6.21.1.2.1.1.0.0.1.0

http://www.apple.com/imac

step1bullet_imac_0701.gif

JOD8FY

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2004
United States
x86isslow said:
and don't worry about what Apple announces for the next iMac, it probably won't ship until November anyway.

Actually, according to Apple the product is supposed to ship in September when they are announced.

I can see your disappointment. Just give Apple a call and explain. If worse comes to worse, enjoy your new iMac. It's a wonderful computer and is not anything to regret buying.

Chances are, the G5 iMacs will be more expensive anyway :rolleyes:.

Good luck,
JOD8FY

Cordless_Drill

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2004
Montgomery, Ala., USA
You still have a very nice box. I agree with the earlier poster who suggested using the G4 until the G5s come out, then consider your options. Selling it on eBay, provided you find a legit buyer, will allow you to fetch most of your investment back.

I wouldn't fret. A 1.25 GHz iMac is a bad little boy!

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
And, might I add, it's presumed the new iMacs will have a G5. It's not proven. All we know is that they will look different.

It's about 95% likely... but not 100%.

And: some people might not like the new look, in the same way that some posters to this forum have indicated that they prefer the old monitors to the just-announced ones.

Finally: the system you bought is a great one. It sucks that you bought when you did, but you had to know the end was relatively near. No matter what happens, it'll be OK.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
id keep it. wait for a 2nd revision of the new imacs and you will be set. if these new imacs are anything like the the current ones when they came out, you will be waiting a long time before they come out. it took months before they strated shipping in significant quanities.

iJon

nels0360

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2004
Colorado
I would refuse the shipment if apple won't take it back. I mean come on, it's still sealed.

That said, there is nothing saying that you are going to like the G5 design when it is released. And you would have a computer now..which is always nice :)

Miner Willy

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2004
Bradford, UK
G4 woes

Get over it, the imac is a great machine. If apple can't sort out delivery of their pro machines how long do you think it will be before the new imacs will be shipping, at this rate it could be six months! There is nothing wrong with the g4 imac, if will rip,mix and burn tunes and dvds all day. It will edit video and author dvds all day for you too, if you are planning on doing any 3d then you shouldn't have bought an iMac in the first place.

Sounds harsh, but once you jump on the technology bandwagon, there will always be an upgrade around the corner...

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
call apple and state very firmly that you will not accept the shipment and it will come back to them. they will have to credit you back, but they may take some % restocking fee although the package has not been opened.

how did you order it? if it's an internet purchase i think there's a law that you can return it no matte rif it's a BTO.

just call apple. be calm and try to reason with them. don't accept anything else for an answer that in the end you can return the unopened box. all you can lose is the restocking fee whatever that is, but i'd suspect that cannot be much and either way you lose more the second you open the box.

the most important thing is to keep yourself calm whatever they say to you. your attitude needs to be "i will return this. how do we proceed?" and not "i want to return this, ok?".

BakedBeans

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2004
What's Your Favorite Posish
iJon said:
id keep it. wait for a 2nd revision of the new imacs and you will be set. if these new imacs are anything like the the current ones when they came out, you will be waiting a long time before they come out. it took months before they strated shipping in significant quanities.

iJon

i have to disagree politely,

firstly spending so much money is an investment and you will lose money as soon as the new one comes out
secondly your going to want the newest best machine for your money
pay the 3% restoking fee (or whatever it is)...and enjoy you new imac g5

trust me when your sitting there with your "brand new" g4 imac with old technology for more money than the g5 you will hate it...

let us know how it goes though

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.