PDA

View Full Version : Guide: Enable native NTFS Read/Write in Snow Leopard

Chrysaor
Sep 12, 2009, 05:21 PM
This is experimental, and known to be unstable, use at your own risk.

I am sure many of you heard that Snow Leopard was supposed to have native read/write for NTFS partitions. Apple supported NTFS R/W in older SL builds but I guess decided to not to go with it for some reason, however support is still present.
For this, you need to modify your /etc/fstab file to mount NTFS partitions for read and write.

First, uninstall NTFS-3G/Paragon if installed.
Open Terminal.app (/Applications/Utilities/Terminal)
Type "diskutil info /Volumes/volume_name" and copy the Volume UUID (bunch of numbers).
Backup /etc/fstab if you have it, shouldn't be there in a default install.
Type "sudo nano /etc/fstab".
Type in "UUID=paste_the_uuid_here none ntfs rw" or "LABEL=volume_name none ntfs rw" (if you don't have UUID for the disk).
Repeat for other NTFS partitions.
Save the file (ctrl-x then y) and restart your system.

After reboot, NTFS partitions should natively have read and write support. This works in both 32 and 64-bit kernels. Support is quite good and fast, it even recognizes file attributes such as hidden files.

Alternative Method by iBlacky:
Rename the original /sbin/mount_ntfs tool:

sudo mv /sbin/mount_ntfs /sbin/mount_ntfs.orig

Create a script like this:

#!/bin/sh
/sbin/mount_ntfs.orig -o rw "$@“

save the script to /sbin/mount_ntfs

sudo chown root:wheel /sbin/mount_ntfs
sudo chmod 755 /sbin/mount_ntfs

Enjoy R/W access to NTFS volumes...

In case you don't like it

sudo mv /sbin/mount_ntfs.orig /sbin/mount_ntfs

and everything is back to R/O.

cjmillsnun
Sep 12, 2009, 05:44 PM
I am sure many of you heard that Snow Leopard was supposed to have native read/write for NTFS partitions. Apple supported NTFS R/W in older SL builds but I guess decided to not to go with it for some reason, however support is still present.
For this, you need to modify your /etc/fstab file to mount NTFS partitions for read and write.

Type "diskutil info /Volumes/volume_name" and copy the Volume UUID (bunch of numbers).
Type in "UUID=paste_the_uuid_here none ntfs rw".
Save the file and restart your system.

After reboot, NTFS partitions should natively have read and write support. This works in both 32 and 64-bit kernels. Support is quite good and fast, it even recognizes file attributes such as hidden files.

Am about to install Boot Camp in SL. Thank you for the tip :)

KingYaba
Sep 13, 2009, 12:52 PM
and copy the Volume UUID (bunch of numbers).

? I'm not seeing this number sequence.

Chrysaor
Sep 13, 2009, 01:19 PM
Should be like this:

http://images.seydoggy.com/diskutil_info_volume_DiskName-20090211-215727.jpg

Alternatively, you can get it from Disk Utility.app,
http://images.seydoggy.com/Disk_Utility_information-20090211-215916.jpg

KingYaba
Sep 13, 2009, 02:46 PM
Just a note. You need to create the fstab file for my instructions to work. Use that sudo nano command Chrysaor wrote down in the first post. Try typing LABEL= this time.

Thanks for your help Chrysaor I would have never known Snow Leopard could do this was it not for your thread. I (finally) got this working albeit a different and probably more dangerous way...

1. opened terminal and typed open /private/

2. gave myself read/write permissions the manual way for private, etc, and the fstab file (see attachment) by highlighting each folder and file and then pressing command I

3. typed LABEL=Erebus none ntfs rw were Erebus is the name of my bootcamp partition and then saved the fstab file.

4. rebooted.

capflya
Sep 13, 2009, 02:51 PM
This works great, but I can't seem to find the UUID for my flash drive? Maybe I'm looking for something that doesn't exist?

Any help would be appreciated. This tip works great for the bootcamp partition but without full access to my flash drives that are NTFS it leaves more to be desired.

Thanks!

-David

capflya
Sep 13, 2009, 03:00 PM
Just plugged in my external HD that is NTFS and it works. It has a UUID so I guess maybe flash drives do not have a UUID?

I wonder if KingYaba's method would work for flash drives? I may try this if I can not find the information about flash media that I need....

EDIT: I tried using "LABEL=" and the drive name in my case it was a kingston flash drive I have not renamed yet. so I did "LABEL=KINGSTON none ntfs rw" and saved the file. Rebooted and it works now. So I guess if there is not a UUID just use LABEL and the drive name and that should work. Tested and I was able to write a file to the drive. Thanks for the inspiration!

Shake 'n' Bake
Sep 13, 2009, 03:32 PM
How do I save the file?

capflya
Sep 13, 2009, 04:11 PM
How do I save the file?

On the bottom of the terminal window you can see the command list...

To quit nano you type ctrl + x

It will then ask if you want to save. Type in "y" (without quotes) and hit enter.

Then it will confirm the filename to save so you can just hit enter one more time and then it's saved.

Shake 'n' Bake
Sep 13, 2009, 05:42 PM
Thanks. Now I just need to reboot, which, for me, is rarely.

SnowLeopard2008
Sep 13, 2009, 06:41 PM
Nice find, I think this should be made into a sticky or incorporated into the SL tips/tricks sticky.

Chrysaor
Sep 13, 2009, 06:51 PM
Updated the first post with LABEL, didn't realize some disks may not have one.

Shake 'n' Bake
Sep 13, 2009, 09:20 PM
Works perfectly. Thanks for the tip!

occamsrazor
Sep 13, 2009, 09:25 PM
Great tip... I wonder if someone with the knowhow might turn it into a preference pane etc... makes you wonder why Apple didn't do something with it.

macfanboy
Sep 13, 2009, 09:38 PM
didnt work for me with the UUID.

i will try the LABEL method this time

EDIT: ive tried multiple times with both methods, but neither works...

ill keep trying, though... this will let me share itunes btwn boot camp and mac os x!!

EDIT2: this is my line in fstab

UUID=4161BE66-95D9-4776-AD13-01A5F5D37C29 none ntfs rw

anything wrong?

EDIT3: theres another file named fstab.hd. is this the one that should be edited?

PurrBall
Sep 13, 2009, 09:45 PM
Interesting, I wonder if this was disabled by default because of licensing issues?

capflya
Sep 13, 2009, 10:01 PM
didnt work for me with the UUID.

i will try the LABEL method this time

EDIT: ive tried multiple times with both methods, but neither works...

ill keep trying, though... this will let me share itunes btwn boot camp and mac os x!!

EDIT2: this is my line in fstab

UUID=4161BE66-95D9-4776-AD13-01A5F5D37C29 none ntfs rw

anything wrong?

EDIT3: theres another file named fstab.hd. is this the one that should be edited?

Not sure what you mean by another file named fstab.hd?

If you go into /etc/fstab from terminal it should find and edit the correct file.

macfanboy
Sep 13, 2009, 10:03 PM
oddly, after about 3 or 4 restarts (with my fstab file staying the same), it said i could write now

capflya
Sep 13, 2009, 10:28 PM
At least it works!

P.S. Working on a script to do this automatically... all you will need to do is enter the drive label... hope this will help some people out...

-David

Tex-Twil
Sep 14, 2009, 12:56 AM
wow so is this a real native RW NTFS support ??

Leo72
Sep 14, 2009, 01:14 AM
Hooray! :p

Leo72
Sep 14, 2009, 01:15 AM
I hope that it won't violate the license :rolleyes:

pontiacy
Sep 14, 2009, 01:17 PM
Thanks for the heads up. It works for me. however, I encountered 2 problems.

1. When I tried to delete a certain folder, it became 0 byte but was still shown in the trash with an error msg (file corrupted or something). It happened before (mainly with folders). But previously, I could go to disk utility - first aid - repair disk to correct this. However, now the 'repaire disc' button is disabled for these NTFS disks.

2. When I tried to save a pdf file in its original place (i.e., replacing the original one) using Acrobat, I suddenly got an error msg, then I found the folder the file was in was empty! (I had over 2GB of files in that folder!)

-------------------
Update: I was able to solve these problems. I used the chkdsk command line utility (in particular, run cmd, then type 'chkdsk K: /X' where K is the drive letter, /X means to unmount it first) to repair the disk under windows. The contents in the folder were intact.

Also, I was able to find and delete the /etc/fstab file eventually, by going to finder-go to folder- '/etc'. After I reinstalled paragon, the repair disk button is clickable again.

chavanak
Sep 14, 2009, 04:48 PM
I am getting this in console:
9/14/09 11:43:13 PM com.apple.autofsd[49] automount: Mount for LABEL=Softwares has no path for the directory to mount

I am trying to mount an external drive which has two partitions. My fstab entry is:
LABEL=Software none ntfs rw.
Ca someone tell me what I am doing wrong/

KingYaba
Sep 14, 2009, 05:08 PM
I am getting this in console:
9/14/09 11:43:13 PM com.apple.autofsd[49] automount: Mount for LABEL=Softwares has no path for the directory to mount

I am trying to mount an external drive which has two partitions. My fstab entry is:
LABEL=Software none ntfs rw.
Ca someone tell me what I am doing wrong/

You're missing an s?

dukee101
Sep 15, 2009, 02:38 AM
I've tried the original method posted by the OP as well as KingYaba's alternate way and despite several (maybe up to 10) reboots, my 'Get Info' dialogue for my NTFS volume still says "read only"

:(

waiting on a script or something here that hopefully gets right what i keep getting wrong, because i'm following everything by the book.

would this require a USB plug-out/plug-back-in or something?

i really want this to work because Paragon/MacFUSE are not preferable. they stick to the bottom of the OS like nasty gum on your shoe, and it's just gunky crap.

Chunk72
Sep 15, 2009, 03:18 AM
Thanks for the tip - this works a treat.:)

chavanak
Sep 15, 2009, 03:42 AM
You're missing an s?

That was a typo here :( I have double checked the fstab file and it is correct. The automount is not able to find the path to mount the filesystem. I wonder what I am supposed to do :(
Also I had installed ntfs-3g, when I remove this even my FAT file system will not mount :(

kirreip
Sep 15, 2009, 09:33 AM
(...)

I think what happened is that apple created a new folder with the same name without noticing it would replace the old one.

Apple? Apple is a company (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Inc.) (or a fruit...)! They do not create folders on your mac :rolleyes:

linkboy
Sep 15, 2009, 01:36 PM
I've tried the original method posted by the OP as well as KingYaba's alternate way and despite several (maybe up to 10) reboots, my 'Get Info' dialogue for my NTFS volume still says "read only"

:(

waiting on a script or something here that hopefully gets right what i keep getting wrong, because i'm following everything by the book.

would this require a USB plug-out/plug-back-in or something?

i really want this to work because Paragon/MacFUSE are not preferable. they stick to the bottom of the OS like nasty gum on your shoe, and it's just gunky crap.

Same with me, I've tried it twice and I can't get it to work. Anyone got it running with 10.6.1 (maybe Apple "fixed" it).

edit
3rd times a charm, just tried it again and it worked.

ede3
Sep 15, 2009, 09:10 PM
Thanks so much Chrysaor! It worked perfectly for me on a WD Passport USB external HDD.

prp8683
Sep 16, 2009, 05:09 PM

Works like a charm, but the reboot is not required. All you need to do is unmount and remount the volume. You can do this from Disk Utility, or if the disk is external, by unplugging it and then plugging it back in. (Be sure to eject the disk before unplugging it...)

dukee101
Sep 16, 2009, 07:52 PM
Thanks for the tip about simply ejecting and unplugging instead of doing a reboot. That makes it easier to diagnose the problem.

Unfortunately, doing this again didn't enable write support. Could it be a compatibility issue? Like does this trick not work with WD MyBook's or something? Or it should just work across any device?

Also, would manually deleting the fstab and fstab.hd files from the /etc folder make a difference? Perhaps trying it from scratch, saving a new file in the editor app?

Any help would really be appreciated, as well as perhaps a custom pref-pane or plug-in or something :)

iBlacky
Sep 16, 2009, 08:21 PM

#!/bin/sh

esposimi
Sep 17, 2009, 07:51 PM
Worked like a charm. Thanks! :)

dukee101
Sep 18, 2009, 07:38 PM

I can't rename the file. It says "You don't have permission to rename the item "mount_ntfs"" even though I modified the permissions and added 'admin(me)' to the list of read/write users. in the "Get Info" dialogue box.

Furthermore, how would I create and execute that script? Why do some people have to do this and others (seems like most) don't have to even bother?

applevx
Sep 19, 2009, 03:57 AM
iBlacky of the same forum posted a better method. Basically, it's running mount_ntfs with read/write option specified.

Here's how it's done in Terminal:

sudo nano /sbin/mount_ntfs
#!/bin/sh
/sbin/mount_ntfs.orig -o rw "$@"
(press Enter, Ctrl-O, Enter, Ctrl-X in sequence)

Make sure to check that mount_ntfs is listed as -rwxr-xr-x and root wheel when you type ls -al /sbin/mount_ntfs and you're good to go.

P.S.
If it isn't working for you, it may be that the NTFS partition wasn't cleanly unmounted previously (e.g. not using safe eject in Windows). To check if this is the case, open Console in Utilities, and go to 'All Messages' instead of 'Console Messages'. Search for 'ntfs' and you may come across an error that displays like this:

NTFS-fs error (device /dev/disk3s1, pid 435): ntfs_system_inodes_get(): $LogFile is not clean. Mounting read-only. Mount in Windows.

You need to plug the disk into Windows-running system, and do a safe eject. Then the NTFS partition will mount in read/write mode.

Good luck!
Again thanks iBlacky :)

iBlacky
Sep 19, 2009, 09:58 PM
I can't rename the file. It says "You don't have permission to rename the item "mount_ntfs"" even though I modified the permissions and added 'admin(me)' to the list of read/write users. in the "Get Info" dialogue box.

Furthermore, how would I create and execute that script? Why do some people have to do this and others (seems like most) don't have to even bother?

Sorry I forgot to mention that you have to use the Terminal.app, but "applevx" explained the missing parts very good :-), so follow his guide.

cdingdong
Sep 20, 2009, 08:27 PM
I tried this method on my WD Passport that's formatted NTFS, and it works. I am using OSX 10.6.1. On the Prasys' Blog website, it said that there is a chance that this method would corrupt the partition (in my case it would be my external hard drive), but I took the gamble. Worked out in my favor. I used NTFS-3G + MacFuse on Tiger and Leopard before, and the transfer speed is much slower to my external hard drive. I thought it was because of my Macbook's USB 1.0 ports. Now that I use native NTFS read/write support from Snow Leopard, I see that it was NTFS-3G + MacFuse that slowed me down.

wesley96
Sep 21, 2009, 09:23 AM
Um, excuse me, iBlacky, it's not applevx's guide. It's mine.

applevx just copied and pasted what I wrote at my blog without giving a proper link.

http://www.tool-box.info/blog/archives/1193-Snow-Leopards-NTFS-readwrite-support.html

applevx, please don't rip off what other people write outright. I clearly gave credit to iBlacky about the method and expanded upon it to be fully doable in Terminal, as well as a way of diagnosing and fixing possible error that may arise. The post stands on its own properly. On the other hand, you just copied the major part of my posting without changing even a word. That's just wrong.

applevx
Sep 21, 2009, 12:24 PM

applevx just copied and pasted what I wrote at my blog without giving a proper link.

http://www.tool-box.info/blog/archives/1193-Snow-Leopards-NTFS-readwrite-support.html

applevx, please don't rip off what other people write outright. I clearly gave credit to iBlacky about the method and expanded upon it to be fully doable in Terminal, as well as a way of diagnosing and fixing possible error that may arise. The post stands on its own properly. On the other hand, you just copied the major part of my posting without changing even a word. That's just wrong.

I am sorry wesley96 if my post hurts your feeling, I am sorry.

I got that explanation from web site but not sure whether or not your blog. I am just simply try to help people here as you trying to do so. We have the same goal here and also the original idea comes from iBlacky, doesn't it?

I am not sure whom I was copy from, but clearly that was iBlacky's idea, that's why I said that THANKS iBlacky! The credit goes to iBlacky! :)

Again, wesley96, I am sorry, hope you can forgive me. :)

jakimowicz
Sep 21, 2009, 09:31 PM
I wrote a small app to help mounting ntfs volume read/write : http://ntfsmounter.com

wesley96
Sep 22, 2009, 12:39 AM
I am sorry wesley96 if my post hurts your feeling, I am sorry.

I got that explanation from web site but not sure whether or not your blog. I am just simply try to help people here as you trying to do so. We have the same goal here and also the original idea comes from iBlacky, doesn't it?

I am not sure whom I was copy from, but clearly that was iBlacky's idea, that's why I said that THANKS iBlacky! The credit goes to iBlacky! :)

Again, wesley96, I am sorry, hope you can forgive me. :)
Apology accepted. :)

brodenborn
Sep 22, 2009, 11:35 AM
I don't know if something has changed in SL since the last post, but none of the above works on either my internal drive's Bootcamp partition (made under 10.5). I cannot get a UUID from the command line or from Disk Utility. The drive is not mounted and there's no information about it. Disk Utility sees the partition, but cannot verify or repair. I tried running chdsk while booted in Windows, but that cannot be done as it is the boot partition, i.e. it cannot be unmounted first. I attached a screenshot of what Disk Utility gives when I ask for information. I also tried using the Label=BOOTCAMP method, but that did not work either.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

adrianmak
Sep 22, 2009, 05:57 PM

#!/bin/sh

with this tricky shell script, should /etc/fstab file still needed ?

iBlacky
Sep 22, 2009, 07:21 PM
with this tricky shell script, should /etc/fstab file still needed ?

Nope, you don't need /etc/fstab

/etc/fstab is deprecated anyway :-)

iBlacky
Sep 22, 2009, 07:26 PM

Btw. to edit

/System/Library/Filesystems/ntfs.fs/Contents/info.plist

and to add "-o rw"

to

FSMountArguments

doesn't work because the

diskarbitrationd

deamon doesn't read the info.plist, so no matter what you insert in "FSMountArguments" the "diskarbitrationd" daemon ignores it.

adrianmak
Sep 22, 2009, 07:44 PM
Nope, you don't need /etc/fstab

/etc/fstab is deprecated anyway :-)

I followed the instruction to create this shell script and made a reboot. But I can only have read on hdd in ntfs format .

I used console.app and didn't find and errors,warning with ntfs

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e28/adrianmak2/Screenshot2009-09-23at84802AM.png

iBlacky
Sep 22, 2009, 07:53 PM
I followed the instruction to create this shell script and made a reboot. But I can only have read on hdd in ntfs format .

I used console.app and didn't find and errors,warning with ntfs

I assume your NTFS volume wasn't cleanly unmounted previously and this way you can only mount it read-only.

adrianmak
Sep 22, 2009, 07:57 PM
I assume your NTFS volume wasn't cleanly unmounted previously and this way you can only mount it read-only.

I used diskutil gui to unmount all ntfs HDDs and reboot SL but they are still read only.

iBlacky
Sep 22, 2009, 08:09 PM
I used diskutil gui to unmount all ntfs HDDs and reboot SL but they are still read only.

If the NTFS volume wasn't cleanly unmounted previously you must cleanly unmount it in Windows (XP, VISTA, 7), it doesn't work when you unmount it in OS X because the NTFS filesystem is then read-only in OS X...

The problem is that OS X has no "fsck_ntfs" to repair problems on the NTFS volume to make it "clean" again, for this you must use Windows.

iBlacky
Sep 22, 2009, 08:12 PM
Btw. you can find the source code for the NTFS driver in 10.6.x here

http://opensource.apple.com/source/ntfs/ntfs-64/

Just in case someone is interested to see how the driver works :).

adrianmak
Sep 22, 2009, 08:12 PM
If the NTFS volume wasn't cleanly unmounted previously you must cleanly unmount it in Windows (XP, VISTA, 7), it doesn't work when you unmount it in OS X because the NTFS filesystem is then read-only in OS X...

The problem is that OS X has no "fsck_ntfs" to repair problems on the NTFS volume to make it "clean" again, for this you must use Windows.

I've no concept to unmount ntfs volume in Windows. How do I make it ?
Should I perform unmount all ntfs volume in windows each time before booting to SL ?

iBlacky
Sep 22, 2009, 08:29 PM
I've no concept to unmount ntfs volume in Windows. How do I make it ?
Should I perform unmount all ntfs volume in windows each time before booting to SL ?

Okay just to be sure that everything is okay with your OS X installation and the /sbin/mount_ntfs script:

Format a USB stick in Windows (you have to use Windows because OS X can't format NTFS, the "newfs_ntfs" tool is missing as well), safely remove the stick from Windows (the clean unmount is important) and then try to use the USB stick with OS X, when the NTFS filesystem is clean, OS X should mount the NTFS volume read-write (when the script /sbin/mount_ntfs is in place), if this doesn't work (i.e. the USB stick with NTFS is read-only) something else is broken... but if you can mount the USB stick read-write then something doesn't work when you shutdown Windows, e.g. Windows can't safely remove the drives.

applevx
Sep 22, 2009, 09:43 PM
Just add one thing for someone who needs:

Safe unmount in windows means safe eject, which requires you to eject USB disk by click the eject icon located in the lower right corner of Windows task bar and choose safely remove usb mass storage device

Every little helps. :)

P.S. The scripts works very well till now once the safe eject been done.

adrianmak
Sep 22, 2009, 11:27 PM
It WORKS now.

I used chkdsk in Windows and it reported found error on MBR. Then chkdsk with /f parameter and now SL can read/write ntfs partition

coops
Sep 23, 2009, 04:37 AM
I wrote a small app to help mounting ntfs volume read/write : http://ntfsmounter.com

Excellent - thanks....

Just need to remember to 'eject' the volumes when they get mounted on the SL desktop first off...... then click on the found ntfs disk in the ntfsmounter icon, and can copy/paste etc to/from a 200gB external hard drive.

Thankyou....

Coops

iBlacky
Sep 23, 2009, 06:05 AM
It WORKS now.

I used chkdsk in Windows and it reported found error on MBR. Then chkdsk with /f parameter and now SL can read/write ntfs partition

Ahh perfect :-), this means the problem was really the filesystem which was not "clean".

Ups... saw that I already wrote this, but I can't remove messages...sorry for that...

Btw.

the NTFS driver has (like all other fs drivers) a PList

/System/Library/Filesystems/ntfs.fs/Contents/Info.plist

there you find the parameter

FSMountArguments

and normally it should work when you add "-o rw" as arguments to the "FSMountArguments" parameter to mount NTFS volumes as read-write but the

diskarbitrationd

daemon (and this daemon is responsible for mounting volumes in OS X) ignores the PList completely (no matter if it is NTFS or not), so to modify "/System/Library/Filesystems/ntfs.fs/Contents/Info.plist" is not an option.

Just to complete the NTFS guide :).

Just add one thing for someone who needs:

Safe unmount in windows means safe eject, which requires you to eject USB disk by click the eject icon located in the lower right corner of Windows task bar and choose safely remove usb mass storage device

Yes that's exactly what I meant :)

adrianmak
Sep 23, 2009, 05:49 PM
After half day using, I experienced that using shell script method is really unstable. SL hang randomly several times (a rainbow circle). I revoked back to original and everything back to normal.

hourlyrates
Sep 24, 2009, 07:42 AM
seems to me that it's been enabled in 10.6.1. NTFS write just works for me, I didn't do anything (except uninstall my paragon ntfs).

anyone else?

richard.mac
Sep 24, 2009, 08:06 AM
wow it really works thanks! i used the UUID method. and it says read and write support in Get Info instead of custom access with NTFS3g.

jammind
Sep 25, 2009, 12:12 PM
I have tried this on my SL 10.6.1. It really mounts in R/W but it's VERY unstable. Usually accessing an NTFS partitions within 5 minutes will freeze the finder. The partition cannot be ejected, either. System won't shut down. Unplugging or cold boot will cause error in the disk.

And all the Mac additional attribute, e.g. file icons, are lost initially.

Disk Utility cannot Verify the NTFS partitions. And maybe DU needs mount_ntfs, it freezes every time I click info on an NTFS partition.

I have restored the original file. I am guessing the driver is not final so Apple doesn't release it? Do you guys find any problem?

Anyway, thank you for this creative trick:)

qillerneu
Sep 26, 2009, 12:35 AM
I have tried this on my SL 10.6.1. It really mounts in R/W but it's VERY unstable.

Don't know what to think about it, but my SL is crashing similarly on NTFS volumes even without any modifications. It's a fresh install, so no previous Paragon or ntfs-3g drivers. Wonder if it is something volume specific.

chavanak
Sep 28, 2009, 11:03 AM
I have tried this on my SL 10.6.1. It really mounts in R/W but it's VERY unstable. Usually accessing an NTFS partitions within 5 minutes will freeze the finder. The partition cannot be ejected, either. System won't shut down. Unplugging or cold boot will cause error in the disk.

And all the Mac additional attribute, e.g. file icons, are lost initially.

Disk Utility cannot Verify the NTFS partitions. And maybe DU needs mount_ntfs, it freezes every time I click info on an NTFS partition.

I have restored the original file. I am guessing the driver is not final so Apple doesn't release it? Do you guys find any problem?

Anyway, thank you for this creative trick:)

Even I am facing the same problem :( SL hangs everytime I try to mount ntfs drive. I also encountered kp's on many occasions :( :(
I am currently thinking of formatting my external drive in HFS+ format but a solution to write to ntfs would be great.

iBlacky
Sep 28, 2009, 10:00 PM
seems to me that it's been enabled in 10.6.1. NTFS write just works for me, I didn't do anything (except uninstall my paragon ntfs).

Nope, NTFS R/W support is not enabled in 10.6.1, I assume you have some 'leftovers' from Paragon-NTFS on your system.

I have tried this on my SL 10.6.1. It really mounts in R/W but it's VERY unstable.

There must be a reason why Apple disabled the R/W support :).

Of course not, there is no fsck_ntfs to verify the drive and for me Info in DU works (no freeze)... so I guess that maybe something else is not correct on your system or something else is different.

I am guessing this as well :)... I use it only for USB-Sticks and so far it works for me :).

but a solution to write to ntfs would be great.

Paragon NTFS or NTFS-3G... I see no other option if you really 'need' NTFS support.

Don't know what to think about it, but my SL is crashing similarly on NTFS volumes even without any modifications. It's a fresh install, so no previous Paragon or ntfs-3g drivers. Wonder if it is something volume specific.

Yes, that's possible the NTFS driver is very picky, try to force (no matter if the volume is clean or not) a filesystem check on a Windows system to see if the volume has some problems.

ryannazaretian
Sep 30, 2009, 07:56 PM
How do I undo what I did using terminal? I have had the Vista partition go corrupt twice this month, having to do a long 1hr repair on the file system. The only difference is this hack. OP, if you post the uninstall, you may consider doing it in your original post.

iBlacky
Oct 1, 2009, 09:05 PM
How do I undo what I did using terminal? I have had the Vista partition go corrupt twice this month, having to do a long 1hr repair on the file system. The only difference is this hack. OP, if you post the uninstall, you may consider doing it in your original post.

If you mean with hack the script then I recommend you read the original message http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=8497247&postcount=34 there you can read how you undo the modification.

If you mean the /etc/fstab 'hack', then you have to ask the OP.

SolRayz
Oct 3, 2009, 11:28 AM
I am also interested in how to undo the OP's hack...my bootcamp partition became corrupted aswell, most likely because of this.

update:

I was able to undo the OP's etc/fstab hack and return my partition to read only by opening terminal,

Type "sudo nano /etc/fstab"

You should see the "UUID=paste_the_uuid_here none ntfs rw" that you entered before.

Delete it, save the file (ctrl-x then y) and restart your system.

mgipe
Oct 6, 2009, 01:14 PM
Nope, NTFS R/W support is not enabled in 10.6.1, I assume you have some 'leftovers' from Paragon-NTFS on your system.

I have a new MBP with 10.6.1. I manually mounted a networked file server, formatted with NTFS, that I use with my PCs. Reading and writing seem to work just fine natively. No special drivers or software were ever installed on this machine. :):confused:

ryannazaretian
Oct 7, 2009, 01:43 AM
I am also interested in how to undo the OP's hack...my bootcamp partition became corrupted aswell, most likely because of this.

update:

I was able to undo the OP's etc/fstab hack and return my partition to read only by opening terminal,

Type "sudo nano /etc/fstab"

You should see the "UUID=paste_the_uuid_here none ntfs rw" that you entered before.

Delete it, save the file (ctrl-x then y) and restart your system.

Thanks, I should have thought of that. :rolleyes:

Besides the file system corruption, I also got my first kernel panic dealing with some operation that OSX can use on NTFS. I disabled the write support and would recommend others who value their data to do the same.

Panamatom
Oct 10, 2009, 07:33 AM
Thanks a lot, works great!! I just registered to say this.

Tex-Twil
Oct 10, 2009, 03:58 PM
Is this native ntfs working good for you ? I was told in another thread that it is very buggy.

HandyRandy
Oct 12, 2009, 11:10 PM
OMG this works beautifully! Thank you for saving me so much time and frustration! :):):)

Velorium
Oct 13, 2009, 11:33 AM
What advantages does this have over MacFUSE/NTFS-3G? Are there any disadvantages?

sidewinder
Oct 13, 2009, 11:53 AM
What advantages does this have over MacFUSE/NTFS-3G? Are there any disadvantages?

MacFUSE/NTFS-3G doesn't cause system crashes and kernel panics.....

S-

Velorium
Oct 13, 2009, 11:56 AM
MacFUSE/NTFS-3G doesn't cause system crashes and kernel panics.....

S-

...Anything else?

KingYaba
Oct 13, 2009, 08:51 PM
Good times.

fhall1
Oct 14, 2009, 06:30 AM
...Anything else?

Isn't that enough?

Tex-Twil
Oct 14, 2009, 07:32 AM
...Anything else?
I also have the impression that the native NTFS write is faster.

ryannazaretian
Oct 14, 2009, 11:24 PM
I also have the impression that the native NTFS write is faster.

I think both are pretty fast. I was also able to get NTFS 3g / MacFUSE working. It just started working. Kind of like the Bootcamp HFS support. Right out of the blue.

I'm back with NTFS 3G and won't go back unless I have a really good reason.

sidewinder
Oct 14, 2009, 11:39 PM
Isn't that enough?

Apparently not. I guess the all to copmmon kernel panic show in post #82 is not a big deal to Velorium or Tex-Twil.

S-

joms
Oct 19, 2009, 07:42 PM
Would you say that "NTFS for MAC" by Paragon is useless now that SL supports NTFS natively?

KingYaba
Oct 19, 2009, 07:56 PM
Would you say that "NTFS for MAC" by Paragon is useless now that SL supports NTFS natively?

That's up to you.

sidewinder
Oct 19, 2009, 08:50 PM

No, because Snow Leopard does not support NTFS write natively....

S-

joms
Oct 19, 2009, 10:59 PM
ohhhhh so its only READ and not write. Got it!

sidewinder
Oct 19, 2009, 11:19 PM
ohhhhh so its only READ and not write. Got it!

No, this mod allows NTFS read/write access. But it is not stable which is most likely why Apple did not enable it.

S-

ntk14
Oct 25, 2009, 01:29 AM

#!/bin/sh

I followed your guide and success after some failed, but now my computer can not see the NTFS disk, I also use : "sudo mv /sbin/mount_ntfs.orig /sbin/mount_ntfs" to return the original but can not. I can see the HDD in Disk Utilities and see Writable: Yes; Anyone help me?

ntk14
Oct 27, 2009, 10:38 AM
iBlacky of the same forum posted a better method. Basically, it's running mount_ntfs with read/write option specified.

#!/bin/sh

Make sure to check that mount_ntfs is listed as -rwxr-xr-x and root wheel when you type ls -al /sbin/mount_ntfs and you're good to go.

P.S.
If it isn't working for you, it may be that the NTFS partition wasn't cleanly unmounted previously (e.g. not using safe eject in Windows). To check if this is the case, open Console in Utilities, and go to 'All Messages' instead of 'Console Messages'. Search for 'ntfs' and you may come across an error that displays like this:

NTFS-fs error (device /dev/disk3s1, pid 435): ntfs_system_inodes_get(): $LogFile is not clean. Mounting read-only. Mount in Windows.

You need to plug the disk into Windows-running system, and do a safe eject. Then the NTFS partition will mount in read/write mode.

Good luck!

Just found the reason, my file mount_ntfs.orig is blank, anyone help me to send me the content of this file?

elvisizer
Nov 2, 2009, 06:00 PM

sure, if you don't mind your mac crashing, the native ntfs driver is GREAT!
There's a reason apple deactivated the native ntfs driver in snow leopard before release- it ain't reliable!
use ntfs-3g or pay for the tuxera ntfs driver. ntfs3g is slow, free, and reliable. tuxera is fast, costs money, and is reliable.

Haberd
Nov 13, 2009, 12:00 PM
I enabled read/write using the method described. However I have encountered a problem. I copied a couple files to the NTFS partition and tried to open them in Windows 7 and it says that I don't have the correct permissions to access the files. Can somebody please help me?

celebfindel
Nov 28, 2009, 01:36 PM
I enabled read/write using the method described. However I have encountered a problem. I copied a couple files to the NTFS partition and tried to open them in Windows 7 and it says that I don't have the correct permissions to access the files. Can somebody please help me?

something like that to me.

Everything seems to work, but after i eject drive from macos. files never work again.

when i plug the disk again. i get corrupt icons on files. if y try delete on them message is "file in use".

yayitsezekiel
Nov 29, 2009, 02:44 PM
I keep getting stuck :/ am i doing something wrong?

jon08
Dec 3, 2009, 02:51 PM
sure, if you don't mind your mac crashing, the native ntfs driver is GREAT!
There's a reason apple deactivated the native ntfs driver in snow leopard before release- it ain't reliable!
use ntfs-3g or pay for the tuxera ntfs driver. ntfs3g is slow, free, and reliable. tuxera is fast, costs money, and is reliable.

What about NTFS for Mac? How does it compare to NTFS-3G?

theint
Dec 13, 2009, 07:44 PM

Type in "UUID=paste_the_uuid_here none ntfs rw" or "LABEL=volume_name none ntfs rw" (if you don't have UUID for the disk).

once i enter the UUiD and went to exit now it asks for a "file name to write" and give the options of " ^C cancel ^T to files M-D DOS format M-M Mac format M-A append M-P prepend M-B backup file " please help I don't understand what to do..

theint
Dec 13, 2009, 07:57 PM
no need for help i fixed it myself :D

pinturikkio2006
Dec 14, 2009, 05:37 PM
No, this mod allows NTFS read/write access. But it is not stable which is most likely why Apple did not enable it.

S-

I can confirm you that this way IS NOT STABLE!!!

At the beginning you can read and write....delete, move, etc...

BUT

sometimes the disc appear on desktop also with the correct information (Free space) BUT.....no icons appear on it!!!

Itunes can read the music on NTFS disc but if you look in NTFS disc it appears empty and you have to:

RESTART

Start Windows and perform a SCANDISK because also MAC suggest you to do it (verbose mode) otherwise it can't mount it!

So 3 times on 5 this situation happens.

Do you think it is a real stable working method now???

I don't think so and I think that if NTFS-3G/PARAGON/etc are waiting to share a stable version for x64....MAYBE there is a reason...

So...you are advise....

I hope to be helpful.

PS: My specs: Snow Leopard 64bit 10.6.2 on hackintosh working GREAT!

MSGQ
Dec 18, 2009, 07:05 PM

Nifty trick, but is there a way to reverse this in case I wanted to revert back to default settings?

mariuspmg
Dec 19, 2009, 01:47 AM
I can confirm you that this way IS NOT STABLE!!!

At the beginning you can read and write....delete, move, etc...

BUT

sometimes the disc appear on desktop also with the correct information (Free space) BUT.....no icons appear on it!!!

Itunes can read the music on NTFS disc but if you look in NTFS disc it appears empty and you have to:

RESTART

Start Windows and perform a SCANDISK because also MAC suggest you to do it (verbose mode) otherwise it can't mount it!

So 3 times on 5 this situation happens.

Do you think it is a real stable working method now???

I don't think so and I think that if NTFS-3G/PARAGON/etc are waiting to share a stable version for x64....MAYBE there is a reason...

So...you are advise....

I hope to be helpful.

PS: My specs: Snow Leopard 64bit 10.6.2 on hackintosh working GREAT!

Really sad, but it's true. It was such a simple way to make things work. I have to restart about 1 of 5 times. Right now I am trying NTFSmounter, till now it's OK.

PS: I also want to reverse all those lines in Terminal

asdf484
Dec 20, 2009, 12:11 AM
I use the UUID from the app.
It works great !!! Thanks a lot

Takuro
Dec 25, 2009, 04:46 PM
The mount_ntfs modification method once worked for me, but I'm now randomly having trouble exclusively with external drives ever since plugging in a new 1TB MyBook Mac Edition drive I just got. Even formatting my old 5th gen iPod to NTFS resulted in it becoming unwritable. Only the internal disk in my iMac is correctly mounted with read/write privileges.

Can somebody post the original unmodified mount_ntfs binary? I extracted it from the 10.6.2 combo update straight off Apple's website, but Pacifist somehow claimed that the checksums didn't match with what was expected...

EDIT: And just as inexplicably as it stopped, it is now working just fine again. After booting in alternation between OS X and Windows a few times and trying everything I could think of, I think the problem resolved itself when some problematic cached data was cleared out.

For those who should ever need it, here are the modified and original Mount_NTFS files bundled:
http://drp.ly/6XkcB

Yamcha
Jan 1, 2010, 09:04 PM
Nevermind it worked your instructions were a bit confusing..

max¥¥
Jan 3, 2010, 01:40 PM
sos if someone alredy said but you don't need to restart just unmount and mount the disk in diskutility

illy123
Jan 3, 2010, 05:03 PM
I don't know why this thread has got 5 stars.

There is a similar thread on insanelymac.com and it has been discovered that this is highly unstable and can corrupt the drive forever:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=186460&st=20

JonnyD75
Jan 19, 2010, 10:45 AM
To: Anyone considering using method described here to enable R/W for NTFS.

It is not reliable. In fact it is actually quite dangerous to use it for moving or copying files (to, from on on an NTFS partition)...

I lost a lot of data, I actually had it happen several times before I learned my lesson! LOL
I did fairly extensive research hoping to recover it (and some was recovered, everything was recovered in one case). While doing that research I discovered that there a quite a few people who have had serious trouble with this feature!
PLEASE be warned- make sure everything important is backed up! And be aware that the danger increases if the partition contains an installation of windows.

Apple dropped support for this feature for some reason. The prevailing theory is that Microsoft would not give them a license. Even if that is true, they have obviously stopped monitoring, maintaining and developing the feature. (Or even if they haven't, they aren't releasing the changes.)

So the longer it's been since they dropped support: the HIGHER the chances for data LOSS or CORRUPTION- this is due to the changes and updates that have been made to the system kernel and its supporting components...

I really wish there was a reliable way to have full access to NTFS partitions in OS X using the 64 bit kernel... I hope that someone will develop something soon! I'm quite surprised that microsoft hasn't jumped on that!

The original member who posted this should do the responsible thing and edit the original first post and warn people of the increasing risk of using this unsupported, unstable feature.

Chrysaor
Jan 19, 2010, 11:06 AM
The original member who posted this should do the responsible thing and edit the original first post and warn people of the increasing risk of using this unsupported, unstable feature.

Forgot about this topic, edited the first post with warning.

oldschoolripper
Jan 30, 2010, 01:57 PM
I think I used the automated script that someone posted here or macfuse and ntfs3g (sorry I don't remember which). I now have 2 significant issues:

1) On an external ntfs HD, I renamed a folder with a "/" forgeting that those are illegal for windows folder names. When I went to open the drive from a windows machine the folder showed up as a 0kb file. Renaming the file from either mac or pc does not bring the folder (or it's valuable contents back). This was my "backup" so I no longer have a backup of those files anywhere...

2) I have deleted the app Macfuse and ntfs3g (although I don't know if I uninstalled it or it's driver? Yet now, Time Machine is messed up! It creates a time machine backup onto my external drive (extended journeled). but Finder cannot view any of the files on the backup! The Time Machine backup cannot be read by other macs either.

Is there a way to tell if I changed my native Mac NTFS driver? If I did, can I restore my old one?

What if MacFuse left it's driver, should I reinstall the app and then remove it?

Should I run chkdisk or some utility app from either a mac or pc to recover my files?

Please help! Thanks

chuckienorton
Feb 7, 2010, 01:11 PM

This looks awesome. Just installed (so easy) and plugin my HD later today. Thanks!

limo79
Feb 13, 2010, 01:38 PM
From my perspective - there is a lot of problems with NTFS write on OSX with every tool I checked: Paragon for NTFS, Tuxera for NTFS and NTFS-3G. I always have the same issue: can not delete data from OSX Trash or with 0 bytes files. The only solution is to delete them in recycler under Windows. This is ridiculous. Last time Disk Utility destroys my NTFS partition which was not visible at all - luckily I fix this under Windows. Do not spend money for them - thery are buggy !

Now I am thinking about back to Windows - maybe it is a little bit slower, problematic but there is no significant issues with Windows but you have a worldwide standard OS that support almost every website, tools, software with native NTFS, FAT32 and exFAT support without issues and loosing data during transfer (only when hardware failure occures). What is more important you have hundred recovery tools you can use it i critical situation - some are freeware like NTFS Reader. For Mac maybe two or three. There is some other advantages - better Flash support, better GPU support, full WMV with DRM support, native MS Office support with VBA, you can copy protected optical disk with Alcohol software which is impossible with all these toy look like software like Roxio or DragonBurn, no buggy plugins, tools that cost $$ etc etc Too much problems, too much issues and Apple users are limited to Jobs future visions - no Blu Ray, no HDMI, no Flash and other things that are extist today. What will be a difference between coming Macs with iCore x and other Asus laptops ? Probably none - maybe a little bit better workmanship, better LCD panel and that's all. We have lower price, much less heat dissipated via case, 10 hours on battery, gesture support, backlit keyboard and Optimus NVIDIA technology.

Lokrado
Feb 24, 2010, 09:54 AM
whenever i try to edit /etc/fstab it just says new file, when i save it and try to open it again, its just another new file my /etc/ contains: fstab.hd, fstab.save, fstab.save.1, fstab.save.2 clearly those are the saved ones, but they dont activate on boot, still get you can only read

Roostafari
Mar 12, 2010, 05:00 PM
Man! I wish I had read the latter pages of this thread as the posts on the first page are WAY misleading!

I followed the instructions on the OP and this worked flawless for me. However now I cannot see any of my files or folders on my mac OR pc! I have seriously important files on this drive and I need some help getting them back please.

Right now windows will not open the drive unless I format it. My mac can see the drive (tho on a reboot I had to unplug and plug the drive back in to see it on my desktop) I can also open the drive but it says that there are 0 items despite the disk space available remains the same as it was when the drive worked.

Please, can anyone tell me what they did to recoup the contents of their drive after this process failed miserably?

Thanks much in advance

AdsoFromOVR
May 18, 2010, 08:46 AM
This is experimental, and known to be unstable, use at your own risk.

Alternative Method by iBlacky:

#!/bin/sh

There was a slight typo with the double quotes but this workaround works very well. The correct syntax is as follows :

#!/bin/sh

thanks

CrAkD
May 18, 2010, 07:03 PM
yeah thats why I passed on this. I'd rather not be able to do anything with my NTFS files in osx rather then corrupt all my partitions.

sarah.kho
Sep 22, 2010, 11:08 AM
Hi,

I have a USB external drive and I want to use it in all operating systems(windows, mac and linux) assuming that I format it in NTFS, now:

Do I need to restart the computer every time I want to use it in Mac OS X, or I need to restart the machine for every use because I need to mount it using the fstab file and fstab file can not hold invalid entries.

Thanks.

PxiePip
Nov 13, 2010, 06:59 PM
Like one of the posters above I sincerely regret not reading the latter half of the thread, I used the first method in the OP and I'm worried that some permanent damage may be done to my HD if I don't hurry to reverse the change; every time I boot into Snow Leopard now, my Windows partition shows 0 bytes and the BCD table breaks (apologies if my terminology is wrong, I'm not very computer literate) and I am required to uses my repair disk to fix it. As I say, I'm worried that more severe damage might happen as time goes on, could anyone tell me if it's possible to reverse the change I made? Again, it was the first method in the OP.

andrevmc
Dec 6, 2010, 09:54 PM
Hi everybody!

I build a script to enable native writing to NTFS in Mac OSX.

Run the first time to enable writing to NTFS.
Rerun to disable writing to NTFS and return to its original configurations.

download:
http://www.4shared.com/file/qgVo_aAj/macosx_ntfs_read_write.html
in the terminal:
sh macosx_ntfs_read_write.sh

Its use the native writing NTFS Mac OSX.

I hope to be useful.

SkillsToShow
Dec 24, 2010, 12:03 AM
I have been looking for something that will work with all OS's (Mac, Windows, and Linux) but looks like it is extremely complicated to do. I would be nice if someone would invent a universal filesystem that is open and easy to use and ALL OS's are required to support it. One can dream..... :p

cAstEL®
Feb 1, 2011, 02:38 AM
Thanks for the heads up. It works for me. however, I encountered 2 problems.

1. When I tried to delete a certain folder, it became 0 byte but was still shown in the trash with an error msg (file corrupted or something). It happened before (mainly with folders). But previously, I could go to disk utility - first aid - repair disk to correct this. However, now the 'repaire disc' button is disabled for these NTFS disks.

2. When I tried to save a pdf file in its original place (i.e., replacing the original one) using Acrobat, I suddenly got an error msg, then I found the folder the file was in was empty! (I had over 2GB of files in that folder!)

-------------------
Update: I was able to solve these problems. I used the chkdsk command line utility (in particular, run cmd, then type 'chkdsk K: /X' where K is the drive letter, /X means to unmount it first) to repair the disk under windows. The contents in the folder were intact.

Also, I was able to find and delete the /etc/fstab file eventually, by going to finder-go to folder- '/etc'. After I reinstalled paragon, the repair disk button is clickable again.

:eek:
I've encountered the same problem. After watching a video thought USB cable from my multimedia HDD, all the content of the device desappears. Mac show me there're 250 GB writed on the HDD but no files are shown.
Windows tell me that the unit is unreadable. I think this problem is like the 2one.
The Chk procedure did you check is from Window or mac?

Mac à fond
Mar 12, 2011, 07:20 AM
Hi,

I have an external ntfs HDD (1To) and I'v tried the Chrysaor 's two solutions to copy data from my iMac (snow leopard).
None of it works (NTFS Mounter 0.4 either) and now I can't see my HDD anymore. It appears only in the disk utility as you can see in the picture below and it works also well when I connect it to my Macbook.
Is anybody have an idea of the problem and more specifically know what to do to mount my HDD without converting it (it doesn't seem to be the problem) and loosing my data.
In fact I'd like to delete what I wrote and wrong my computer.

Thanks

http://img862.imageshack.us/img862/8103/hddead.jpg (http://img862.imageshack.us/i/hddead.jpg/)

kioshi
Mar 14, 2011, 01:22 AM
Hi everybody!

download:
in the terminal:

I hope to be useful.

Was gonna test it but file is no longer available...

cAstEL®
Mar 14, 2011, 05:36 PM
Hi,

I have an external ntfs HDD (1To) and I'v tried the Chrysaor 's two solutions to copy data from my iMac (snow leopard).
None of it works (NTFS Mounter 0.4 either) and now I can't see my HDD anymore. It appears only in the disk utility as you can see in the picture below and it works also well when I connect it to my Macbook.
Is anybody have an idea of the problem and more specifically know what to do to mount my HDD without converting it (it doesn't seem to be the problem) and loosing my data.
In fact I'd like to delete what I wrote and wrong my computer.

Thanks

http://img862.imageshack.us/img862/8103/hddead.jpg (http://img862.imageshack.us/i/hddead.jpg/)

Mr., I've got a similar problem as you. Now I'm using on my mac NTFS-3G, freely downloadable from web and it's working fine. Read/write it's fully supported and the dismounting is user friendly.
Before i tried the native r/w support, but the file's MFT record will corrupted in a couple of hours. I recovered the datas using easy recovery, with the default settings and with a windows based system. windows doesn't show any content in the hard disk too.. after the operation long about 15h, all the datas was restore, without lost any file.

..enjoy it!

kioshi
Mar 14, 2011, 06:40 PM
I'm trying this: http://www.tuxera.com/products/tuxera-ntfs-for-mac/

Will report later since I haven't restarted (required) and stiill have 15 days left on the trial :)

cAstEL®
Mar 15, 2011, 06:28 AM

Will report later since I haven't restarted (required) and stiill have 15 days left on the trial :)

I don't know why you have a trial period.. ntfs-3g is gnu licensed. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS-3G (but I think i'm using the tuxera solution too!) :cool:

kioshi
Mar 15, 2011, 09:29 AM
I don't know why you have a trial period.. ntfs-3g is gnu licensed. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS-3G (but I think i'm using the tuxera solution too!) :cool:

Yeah Tuxera just seems like a more polished version using the NTFS 3G thing. Just like ]Postbox is Thunderbird with extra features I guess.

Rhyalus
Mar 25, 2011, 11:45 PM
I don't think the free version of the Tuxera stuff supports 64bit on the new Macbooks...

I just bought Paragon and it seems to work pretty well...

R

Cool Runnings
Mar 27, 2011, 05:47 AM
Hi everybody!

download:
in the terminal:

I hope to be useful.

You have reinvented the wheel :o Sorry...

SL-ntfs (http://www.macosxfreeware.com/sl-ntfs-2-0-4-ntfs-disk-writing-preference-pane/) have done this for a year now

ComputerCowboy
Apr 3, 2011, 12:52 PM
iBlacky's solution works great. Any drive you plug in has R/W. Thanks a million!

nvrau
Apr 11, 2011, 07:38 PM

How did it work for you? Did you purchase it?

kioshi
Apr 11, 2011, 08:39 PM
How did it work for you? Did you purchase it?

Works like a charm for me. Didn't buy it just because I'm moving so lately I have been using my Motorola Milestone 2 as my 'main computer', haven't messed much with my Mac lately :-)

fabricedelcarte
Apr 25, 2011, 06:33 PM
I have an external hard rive formatted in NTFS on win7 64. I could see and copy the files but not RW. My mac is new with last osx and no bootcamp. Only one master partition on the mac hard drive. I have followed the first procedure and everything looked all right. after reboot the external hard drive did not show in finder anymore. In disk utility I can see the disk and the volume but not mount it, i can not repair it neither.
I have reopen terminal and type sudo nano /etc/fstab to edit the file and the UUID=paste_the_uuid_here none ntfs rw line was not in it. so i saved it again empty but it did not changed a thing. I have try to disconnect abd reconnect the disk and reboot but no luck. I am new to mac and linux code so please any advice would be welcom.

cashel
May 17, 2011, 10:44 PM
This no longer works for me after the 10.6.7 update. The drive is visible in Disk Utility, but the NTFS partition is grayed out and does not mount in Finder. Reverting back to the original file allows it to mount.

GGJstudios
May 17, 2011, 10:49 PM
This no longer works for me after the 10.6.7 update. The drive is visible in Disk Utility, but the NTFS partition is grayed out and does not mount in Finder. Reverting back to the original file allows it to mount.
Are you booted in 64-bit mode?

lukasus
May 18, 2011, 09:16 AM

#!/bin/sh

Hi I did everithink like in this guide and now i can even mount or see external ntfs hard drive (tried with 2 different HD, non works). I can see that the hard drive is connected in System Profiler, under USB, but disk is not in a finder or on desktop like before. I also tried to return it back with
but it didnt help (maybe becouse mount_ntfs.orig is blank). Looks like the same problem that ntk14 describes on page 4.
I have MBA 13inch with OS X 10.6.7
Anyone please can help me??

GGJstudios
May 19, 2011, 10:03 AM
Anyone please can help me??
To Read/Write/Format NTFS from Mac OS X: Install NTFS-3G for Mac OS X (http://macntfs-3g.blogspot.com/2010/10/ntfs-3g-for-mac-os-x-2010102.html) (free)

tomllama
May 19, 2011, 11:17 AM
Another option is Tuxera NTFS: http://www.tuxera.com/products/tuxera-ntfs-for-mac/ ($35) I've been using it for years on a MP1,1 a MP4,1 and a MBP3,1 with XP or Win 7 in 32 or 64 bit modes without any problems on internal and external drives. I've used it with both Parallels and boot camp.

$35 seems cheap compared to trying to recover from all the problems folk are having after trying to do it using the proposed method that's free. How much is your time or data worth? If you want a free version, why not use NTFS-3G thats been pretty well tested?

abdu.alla
Jun 19, 2011, 09:58 PM
I have done all this and im sure it works well, but my problem is that ntfs is not able to even mount so I can read only, in disk utility it says Mounting "My Passport" failed. when i try to manually mount it from disk utility. it used to be abe to read but now it does not anymore?
I dont want to download any programs to fix this because I have already tried that and it did not work.
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/837/screenshot20110619at110.png/

BigMacWCheese
Jul 5, 2011, 08:16 PM

Great Tip on the fstab, the other method didn't work for me.
OS x 10.6.8

chillywings
Jul 10, 2011, 11:32 AM

Works great. Thanks.

DaMan05
Aug 23, 2011, 02:58 PM

#!/bin/sh

P.S.

Good luck!

This did not work for me on Lion 10.7.1

I could not mount drives at all after this. Drives would not show up on the desktop as usual. I undid it using sudo mv /sbin/mount_ntfs.orig /sbin/mount_ntfs
and at least I can get read access again now.

Anyone got native support working in Lion? Is this this still the correct method? Did I do it wrong?

Beary
Aug 30, 2011, 06:12 PM
So I was wondering how do I know if my mount_ntfs is back to normal?

I did ls -al /sbin/mount_ntfs and it still says -rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel

julian-nold
Oct 5, 2011, 03:52 PM
anything new about Lion and (free) NTFS write support? ;)

Greetings
Julian

ciolo
Oct 29, 2011, 10:27 AM
any ideea how to mount specific ntfs volumes? i have windows on my machines hdd (which i don't want to mount) but i also have an external ntfs hdd which i want to mount.

I kinda new to mac :)

oliversl
Mar 17, 2012, 02:15 PM
The /etc/fstab or mount_ntfs -o rw does not seems to work on my Lion 10.7.3

Anyone has try it on 10.7.3? Thanks

GGJstudios
Mar 17, 2012, 02:17 PM
The /etc/fstab or mount_ntfs -o rw does not seems to work on my Lion 10.7.3

Anyone has try it on 10.7.3? Thanks
Don't try enabling it. It's not stable.

NTFS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ntfs) (Windows NT File System)

Read/Write NTFS from native Windows.
Read only NTFS from native Mac OS X
To Read/Write/Format NTFS from Mac OS X, here are some alternatives:
For Mac OS X 10.4 or later (32 or 64-bit), install Paragon (http://www.paragon-software.com/home/ntfs-mac/) (approx $20) (Best Choice for Lion)
For 32-bit Mac OS X, install NTFS-3G for Mac OS X (http://macntfs-3g.blogspot.com/2010/10/ntfs-3g-for-mac-os-x-2010102.html) (free) (does not work in 64-bit mode)
For 64-bit Snow Leopard, read this: MacFUSE for 64-bit Snow Leopard (http://www.offthehill.org/articles/2010/12/31/macfuse-for-64-bit-snow-leopard/)
Some have reported problems using Tuxera (http://www.tuxera.com/products/tuxera-ntfs-for-mac/) (approx $36).
Native NTFS support can be enabled in Snow Leopard and Lion, but is not advisable, due to instability.
AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support NTFS
Maximum file size: 16 TB
Maximum volume size: 256TB
You can use this format if you routinely share a drive with multiple Windows systems.

oliversl
Mar 26, 2012, 11:46 AM
Thanks, it seems my only option is to buy tuxera :(

Regards,
Oliver

Don't try enabling it. It's not stable.

NTFS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ntfs) (Windows NT File System)

Read/Write NTFS from native Windows.
Read only NTFS from native Mac OS X
To Read/Write/Format NTFS from Mac OS X, here are some alternatives:
For Mac OS X 10.4 or later (32 or 64-bit), install Paragon (http://www.paragon-software.com/home/ntfs-mac/) (approx $20) (Best Choice for Lion)
For 32-bit Mac OS X, install NTFS-3G for Mac OS X (http://macntfs-3g.blogspot.com/2010/10/ntfs-3g-for-mac-os-x-2010102.html) (free) (does not work in 64-bit mode)
For 64-bit Snow Leopard, read this: MacFUSE for 64-bit Snow Leopard (http://www.offthehill.org/articles/2010/12/31/macfuse-for-64-bit-snow-leopard/)
Some have reported problems using Tuxera (http://www.tuxera.com/products/tuxera-ntfs-for-mac/) (approx $36).
Native NTFS support can be enabled in Snow Leopard and Lion, but is not advisable, due to instability.
AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support NTFS
Maximum file size: 16 TB
Maximum volume size: 256TB
You can use this format if you routinely share a drive with multiple Windows systems.

GGJstudios
Mar 26, 2012, 11:57 AM
Thanks, it seems my only option is to buy tuxera :(

Did you read the post you quoted? It did not recommend buying Tuxera.

oliversl
Apr 9, 2012, 03:43 PM
Thanks, its Paragon instead. But Tuxera has good and big client in their website. Will read about Paragon then.

Regards,
Oliver

Did you read the post you quoted? It did not recommend buying Tuxera.

netrix
Jul 7, 2012, 02:42 AM
Hi all - help very much appreciated as I can't see any usb drives on my iMac using SL any more.
Here's what happened:[apologies if its drawn out, thought I'd try to get all bases covered ]
About 2 years ago I successfully used the method quoted below to read and write to ntfs drive on my imac running Snow Leopard. Very recently I had cause to re install the operating system - I was having a problem with iMovie and the Apple tech instructed me to do so.
It was after the reinstall that I noticed that I could not write to ntfs, only read so I assumed that it had overwritten what I had previously done.
So I followed the procedure below only this time it didn't work - I could still only read but not write - so I tried again and re booted immediately after following the procedure, now I can't even read ntfs - in fact SL doesn't recognise any usb drive that I plug in.

I have a usb blu ray read/write drive that is fine.

If I boot into Parallels and plug in a usb I get the pop up asking which OS I want to associate it with, if I choose Win7 it works fine but if I choose SL it doesn't see it.
To clarify - Disc Utility in SL sees the drive but all options are greyed out and I can see no icon on the desktop.

I have used a seperate Windows laptop to try make sure they were removed correctly.

It is so frustrating and I'm hoping you guys/gals can help :)

Thanks in advance !

Netrix.

#!/bin/sh

P.S.

Good luck!

Soom
Jan 20, 2013, 04:53 PM
I am on MBP, OS 10.6.8
I have tried all of these, and nothing worked, including NTFS Mounter and NTFS-3G with MacFuse (MacFuse is discontinued by the way). After reading through posts, I understood, that all of these Terminal methods are unstable, and it is better to use Paragon. So I restored everything back, according to the instructions:
1. sudo nano /etc/fstab and deleted the line added previously. (Maybe I can delete the file at all, it wasn't there when I first created it...?)
2. sudo mv /sbin/mount_ntfs.orig /sbin/mount_ntfs to restore the mount_ntfs
3. installed and uninstalled NTFS Mounter
4. installed and uninstalled NTFS-3G and MacFuse
5. And then I installed Paragon. Now it works, but I just had a problem with the external HDD, that suddenly didn't mount and caused the whole system to crash. I wonder, did I really return everything back to normal? was this crash part of consequences of altering the system? Or was it maybe something with Paragon?
I restarted and it works now, but I really don't want to have an unstable OS...
Please just tell me if I should do anything else to clean the mess.
Thanks.