Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

U2Rules!

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Minnesota
So much for Apple earning a long time customer. I order a PB Monday and today I see an offer for $200 of an Ipod with the purchase of a PB. I call and am told that I don't qualify for the offer and I can't return my PB because I had an 80 GB HD added. What BS! :mad:

BakedBeans

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2004
What's Your Favorite Posish
U2Rules! said:
So much for Apple earning a long time customer. I order a PB Monday and today I see an offer for $200 of an Ipod with the purchase of a PB. I call and am told that I don't qualify for the offer and I can't return my PB because I had an 80 GB HD added. What BS! :mad:
have you recieved your pb yet?????

atszyman

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2003
The Dallas 'burbs
I may be completely wrong about this but aren't they supposed to wait until they ship to charge your credit card? If so then the purchase was made today since it shipped today and you should be eligible for the offer.

If not look at it this way, you probably saved more money because you didn't end up spending an extra $70-$270 on an ipod and you'll get your PB before everyone else. You can also laugh at the rest of us when the iPods get updated in Sept/Oct and do everything the rest of us wanted and are now stuck with the iPods we got now.

I have been waiting for this offer since I remembered it form last year and the thread rumor of it has been here for a week. I really didn't need it and could afford to wait until next Tuesday if they took that long especially since I have a mid-term on Monday and don't need the distraction of a new toy to interfere with studying.

I have also long ago resigned myself to the fact that the minute I make a computer purchase there will be price cuts and spectacular rebate offers that I am not eligible for, it's more certain than Moore's Law.

U2Rules!

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Minnesota
You're probably correct. It's just frustrating to talk to someone from Apple and they're so non-chalant, "Sorry, it needed to be purchased today, I know you bought it 2 days ago, and it just shipped 5 minutes ago, nothing we can do." I asked about returning it and was told I couldn't????? something about me adding an 80 Gb HD, can't return special orders. This was all news to me.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
i dont see why you would not be able to return a BTO powerbook. They would have to let you do that, but simply returning it and then repurchasing it to gain access to the sale would be wrong and is not allowed

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
My recollection was that you've never been able to return build-to-order machines unless there's actually something wrong with them. Sadly finding a better deal a couple of days later isn't included in that...

U2Rules!

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Minnesota
PlaceofDis said:
i dont see why you would not be able to return a BTO powerbook. They would have to let you do that, but simply returning it and then repurchasing it to gain access to the sale would be wrong and is not allowed

How about if I returned my newly ordered 12in. PB and upgraded to the 15in. PB and became eligible for the Ipod discount? Would that be allowed?

zoetropeuk

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2002
Oxford UK
If you bought it in the UK you would be allowed to return it under the distance selling regulations as long as it was purchased online and shipped to you. You are allowed to return ANY item within seven days if it's not satisfactory in any way.

It doesn't matter if Apple has a notice on their site telling you that you can't return BTO products. Apple doesn't make the law but it's enough to scare people off. Too many people simply believe what they read.

atszyman

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2003
The Dallas 'burbs
The policy quoted does not apply to defective products, if there is something legitimately wrong Apple will take it back, however if you order a stock computer from Apple you have 10 days in which you can return it for any reason you see fit even if there is absolutely nothing wrong with it.

the future

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2002
zoetropeuk said:
If you bought it in the UK you would be allowed to return it under the distance selling regulations as long as it was purchased online and shipped to you. You are allowed to return ANY item within seven days if it's not satisfactory in any way.

It doesn't matter if Apple has a notice on their site telling you that you can't return BTO products. Apple doesn't make the law but it's enough to scare people off. Too many people simply believe what they read.

I don't think that's true. AFAIK BTO products are specifically mentioned in those regulations as products that cannot be returned so easily.

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
It's unfortunate that they came out with a better deal right after you bought you PowerBook. That happens sometimes and there isn't anything you can do about it. Everytime some product goes on sale or has its price dropped, somebody paid full price for it the day before. Sucks. Personally, I stop reading ads for a few weeks after I make a big purchase.

What concerns me is that you didn't know you couldn't return a BTO PowerBook. They make it pretty clear. Didn't you read the agreement?

And why don't you qualify for the iPod promotion? You're not a student? If you don't qualify you don't qualify.

Try not to hold a grudge against your PowerBook when you get it.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
abhishekit said:
Where is that offer?? I don't see anything on the US website :confused:
You have to go to the Apple EDU website - here is the offer
cp_top_cramjam_ipp_0704.gif

U2Rules!

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Minnesota
I ordered by phone, no one ever told me about the no return of BTO. I am a graduate student, but since I ordered mine 48 hours before the deal started, I'm screwed. Very Microsoft like of Apple.

I won't hold it against my Powerbook though, just Apple.

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
U2Rules! said:
I ordered by phone, no one ever told me about the no return of BTO. I am a graduate student, but since I ordered mine 48 hours before the deal started, I'm screwed. Very Microsoft like of Apple.

How's that very Microsoft like of Apple?

Dude if you missed the deal you missed the deal - tough! You can't bitch about it just because you ordered before it came out. It's just bad timing that's all. I brought a 17" iMac the day before they released updated specs but I didn't automatically think "Oh dear god Apple are evil money grabbing corporate ******s! Poor me, I must make them take my iMac back and swap it"

flyfish29

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2003
New HAMpshire
U2Rules! said:

This is common in all retail. Unfortunately they have to draw the line someplace. when I got my iMac I was just past the 30 days in order to get the free upgrade to Panther. It sucked that I couldn't get it and I tried many times but to no avail. For that they did offer a 30 day window for buyers, but with this it is a "sale" for all intents and purposes. But what about the people at day 31 and longer. where does one draw the line? It is a hard decision for retailers to make as the industry is very tight right now. Yes, there are many stores that offer a discount for 30 days after purchase if it goes cheaper, but Apple doesn't do that. They don't make tons of money off these things when you consider how much software and hardware development they do these days. I know how tight money is in grad school as I am too. Just enjoy the powerbook and I would rec. trying at least two more times with Apple to argue your point. Be nice and they will probably do something for you if you try a couple of times. they have some flexibilitywith the system and maybe they can do something. Good luck.

U2Rules!

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Minnesota
I've emailed Apple very politely and explained my situation. They responded that since my PB was shipped, thus I was billed, before the sale started that I have no recourse. Guess what time my PB was shipped and me billed???? 11:56 p.m. on July 6th. Planned on their part ya think? 5 minutes later and I'm eligible. :mad:

DGFan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2003
zoetropeuk said:

And people wonder why things cost more from Apple in the UK....

viper1701

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2004
I feel for you U2RULES- don't listen to these *******s saying "tough luck." My brother bought a 15" PB Monday of last week and I specifically asked at the Apple Store about iPod deals and they said, of course, sorry that promotion ended last year. The sales reps didn't know any better at the time. But I am still pissed that I could have had a new iPod and now I don't because of one lowsy week. In my opinon, and I am a dihard apple fan, that is really ****ty of them. Especially in your case- 5 minutes should not matter.

You could try going to an Apple store. It might be harder for them to reject you in person, especially if you are loud so other customers feel bad for you.

Good luck, man
-Jeff

abhishekit

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
akron , ohio
U2Rules! said:
I've emailed Apple very politely and explained my situation. They responded that since my PB was shipped, thus I was billed, before the sale started that I have no recourse. Guess what time my PB was shipped and me billed???? 11:56 p.m. on July 6th. Planned on their part ya think? 5 minutes later and I'm eligible. :mad:

oh man , that sucks. I bought a pb 2-3 weeks back. And I sold my iPod and iBook for that :rolleyes:. I just called apple, just for fun. And told them that sice they have 'reduced' prices within a month i am eligible for the new deal. :D , he din't take that ofcourse. Asked me if I wanted to buy a new pb today..
:D
anyways, this makes it certain that new iPods are coming in september. so that's some consolation.

cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.