Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

derek13

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
Waterloo, Ontario
BLACK FRIDAY SALE: Current 50% OFF From $3.99 to $1.99
Hurry up and get it before the deal is over! (if it still says $3.99 allow iTunes to update the price)

Get Mail Notifier

Also, check out the new Facebook Page: http://bit.ly/gPIer

Love the app? Become a fan! :)

Mail Notifier delivers push notifications for Hotmail, Gmail, AOL, and IMAP mail.

It is the first app to bring push Hotmail, IMAP, and AOL mail to the iPhone.

YouTube Demo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdHGCw9XvL4

Screenshots:

0.png
2.png

3.png
4.png

I am here to answer any questions you have about the app. :)

cavemonkey50

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2007
Allentown, PA
Will you be able to change the notification sound from the default SMS?

Also, for Gmail accounts, is the unread message count the number of threaded unread messages, or the total unread account? Example: two new messages until one thread would show as one unread message (which is what I'm looking for as that's how the Gmail webapp keeps track of unreads).

firedogut

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2009
any chances of few promo codes given to us who did not get in on the beta testing in time. :D

derek13

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
Waterloo, Ontario
Will you be able to change the notification sound from the default SMS?

There is no possibility of doing so in the first version. However, the ability to customize the notification sound is in development and will be available in the next update free of charge.

Also, for Gmail accounts, is the unread message count the number of threaded unread messages, or the total unread account? Example: two new messages until one thread would show as one unread message (which is what I'm looking for as that's how the Gmail webapp keeps track of unreads).

It currently shows the total unread count. We will look into adding it as an option to show the unread threads instead of unread messages.

Zman3001

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2008
Derek, this was an awesome beta. I tracked it working sometimes faster than even my blackberry push! I see you've added some improvements like the badge number. Is there any chance that you could make the push alert to view open directly to the mail app? I'm glad this is coming out of beta now as I just got my 64 gig ipod touch with different UDID.

cheapa55

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007
Derek, this was an awesome beta. I tracked it working sometimes faster than even my blackberry push! I see you've added some improvements like the badge number. Is there any chance that you could make the push alert to view open directly to the mail app? I'm glad this is coming out of beta now as I just got my 64 gig ipod touch with different UDID.

I would love the option to open the mail app, or a direct link to gmail in safari from the mail notifier icon.

Great app, works very fast.

ilkevinli

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2006
NYC
I wanted this also and asked him this exact question during the beta. Derek told me that its not possible because Apple doesn't give developers access to launch the Mail app (and other default apps im sure) in the iPhone SDK.

kicko

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2008
Even if you cant access the native mail app, launching a web-link would be pretty cool.

efp1

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2008
UK
I've beta tested this app and it's amazing! I had GPush but will use this instead. The badge automatically updates even when the message has been read! That's something GPush doesn't do and they claim it's not possible. Works every single time with this app :)

It would be great to choose a sound that isn't the sms sound.

Glad I could help and beta test this app. It's definitely worth the price.

Uabcar

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2009
Cool

I will absolutely purchase this utility as soon as it's out. Of course I just bought gpush 2-3 days ago (new iPhone). I love having the notification for gmail - and can't wait to have it for hotmail as well too.

Hope it does not take too long to get approved.

ctt1wbw

macrumors 68000
Jan 17, 2008
Seaford VA
Speaking of Hotmail, my school uses Hotmail for student email, but it's not an @hotmail name but uses msn live servers. Would that still work? Also, what about an option to open up something like mBox Mail, which is what I use to read hotmail?

Sounds like a nice program, too.

bassguy

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2009
PA
This was a really well done beta test. Was expecting some glitches here and there but you did a really good job getting this together.
Different alert sounds would be great down the line. A toggle off through the app would be great as well. If apple would allow the auto mail open it'd be perfect. Look forward to see what things you do next.

orpheus1120

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2008
Malaysia
I notice a bug for hotmail registration. If I add a hotmail account, the app will display a badge of unread emails eventhough I don't have any in that hotmail account. Even if I log into that account, Mail Notifier will not update the badge count eventhough I don't have unread emails in the first place. Normally this will work for other aol/gmails accounts, ie: badge updates itself once said unread emails are read.

EDIT: The only to hide this is to go into Setting>Notification>Mail Notifier>Badges and deactivate badge update.

kicko

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2008
I notice a bug for hotmail registration. If I add a hotmail account, the app will display a badge of unread emails eventhough I don't have any in that hotmail account. Even if I log into that account, Mail Notifier will not update the badge count eventhough I don't have unread emails in the first place. Normally this will work for other aol/gmails accounts, ie: badge updates itself once said unread emails are read.

EDIT: The only to hide this is to go into Setting>Notification>Mail Notifier>Badges and deactivate badge update.

I noticed this too on my hotmail account. If i disable to badge notifications when none are shown, and then enable my hotmail a badge will still appear. Works fine for Gmail.

erasat

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2009
So far it's working great for Gmail and Hotmail, I don't have the Badge issue mentioned above.

BUT, after testing it today I realized that having one app that Notify me of emails in 2 separate email accounts, should at least identify which email is pushing the email, I mean, to test it I sent an email to gmail and hotmail, it arrived almost immediately to both accounts, but I noticed that the Notification window didn't mention the account it was for. Then I continued receiving regular mails through the day, and then I didn't know again to which account it was for. In my case, I use mBox to get my Hotmail emails, so by nature I need to open it to see if it has new emails, and I use the regular mail account in iPhone to get Gmail emails, that since I was using Gpush before this app, it was set to Manual instead of fetch what it means that I need to open the Mail app also in order to see if it has new mails.

What do I want?, something that can tell me, at least in the alert message, the account that just pushed, OR, maybe, you can use the actual APP interface to do it, right now when you open it it goes directly to show the accounts you have set up, maybe in that screen you can use some kind of badge to show the email counts, although I prefer that the Alert message shows the Account name somewhere.

derek13

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
Waterloo, Ontario

Are you using POP3 to get your hotmail or an app like mboxmail?

Unfortunately, hotmail's POP3 servers do not mark the emails unread when they are retrieved.

derek13

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
Waterloo, Ontario
So far it's working great for Gmail and Hotmail, I don't have the Badge issue mentioned above.

BUT, after testing it today I realized that having one app that Notify me of emails in 2 separate email accounts, should at least identify which email is pushing the email, I mean, to test it I sent an email to gmail and hotmail, it arrived almost immediately to both accounts, but I noticed that the Notification window didn't mention the account it was for. Then I continued receiving regular mails through the day, and then I didn't know again to which account it was for. In my case, I use mBox to get my Hotmail emails, so by nature I need to open it to see if it has new emails, and I use the regular mail account in iPhone to get Gmail emails, that since I was using Gpush before this app, it was set to Manual instead of fetch what it means that I need to open the Mail app also in order to see if it has new mails.

What do I want?, something that can tell me, at least in the alert message, the account that just pushed, OR, maybe, you can use the actual APP interface to do it, right now when you open it it goes directly to show the accounts you have set up, maybe in that screen you can use some kind of badge to show the email counts, although I prefer that the Alert message shows the Account name somewhere.

We updated the code in the server and it now shows which account the push notification is for when you have multiple accounts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.