Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oacory

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 11, 2008
New Jersey
I am sorry if this is a repost because I did a quick search and I found no questions pertaining to it which makes me think this is totally not possible but...

I have a Aluminum MBP (Early 2008) with the ExpressCard/34 slot. I have never used this slot and I was wondering if it is possible to put something in their and boost up the RAM. I am only running 2GB at the moment and I definitely should get more since I video edit. The laptop is under warranty for another 2 years so I don't really want to void the warranty by adding more RAM if it is avoidable.

I know that in windows vista (and presumable in Windows 7) you can add a memory card and you can supposedly set it up so you can use that memory card as RAM for the computer. Is anything like that feasible for my MBP. I am running 10.6.1 but I am not worrying about compatibility issues right now because if it is possible, I would assuming the hardware/software will catch up. This is not something I NEED right now but something I am looking into doing.

Signal-11

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
2nd Star to the Right
I am sorry if this is a repost because I did a quick search and I found no questions pertaining to it which makes me think this is totally not possible but...

I have a Aluminum MBP (Early 2008) with the ExpressCard/34 slot. I have never used this slot and I was wondering if it is possible to put something in their and boost up the RAM. I am only running 2GB at the moment and I definitely should get more since I video edit. The laptop is under warranty for another 2 years so I don't really want to void the warranty by adding more RAM if it is avoidable.

I know that in windows vista (and presumable in Windows 7) you can add a memory card and you can supposedly set it up so you can use that memory card as RAM for the computer. Is anything like that feasible for my MBP. I am running 10.6.1 but I am not worrying about compatibility issues right now because if it is possible, I would assuming the hardware/software will catch up. This is not something I NEED right now but something I am looking into doing.

You will not void your warranty by adding more RAM.

oacory

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 11, 2008
New Jersey
Has anyone heard of any credible rumors that they are adding this feature in the future? They have added SD card slots...

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Has anyone heard of any credible rumors that they are adding this feature in the future? They have added SD card slots...

there is absolutely no indicator that this will happen. apple does not implement a feature just because microsoft does. :rolleyes:

OSX's RAM management is really good anyway, so i wouldnt worry too much.

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本

Also... Most of the MBP with the built in SD slot has the ability to support 4GB (13 & 15") and 8Gb (17") of RAM. What on earth are you gonna do with that much RAM in a natebook? :rolleyes: The MacOSX utilized memory so efferently, forexample, you can pretty much run FinalCutPro's Motion on the bare minimum and it'll still chuckle along, happily. Adding more RAM will only make such applications run more smoothly.

The implementation of the ExpressCard34 allowed certain users whom want to access RAID arrays directly, expand various ports, use various card readers and more recently allow SSD's to be inserted. MBP with SC slots are slightly more limited... You can only insert SD cards in them but can't be used to 'boost' the OS.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
NEO apparently the unibody 13s & 15s support 8GB (unofficial). so there is really no need to even worry about that wierd M$ RAM thingo.. flash drives/SD cards are SOO much slower then RAM its not even funny.

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
wtf?
whats the difference between virtual flashdrive/sddrive ram or dedicated Virtual Memory scratch space?

cawesjmu

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2004
Richmond, VA
Also... Most of the MBP with the built in SD slot has the ability to support 4GB (13 & 15") and 8Gb (17") of RAM. What on earth are you gonna do with that much RAM in a natebook? :rolleyes:

EDIT: DoFoT9 beat me to it.
Not to be a jerk, but all the newest MBP's with the SD card slot can support up to 8GB of RAM. Even the low end 13' MBP.

To the OP, it's really easy to add RAM and like others said, it doesn't void your warranty. It's also relatively cheap to double your RAM. I'm not sure if your computer came with 2 x 1GB sticks, or 1 x 2GB stick. It's even cheaper if you just need 1 more 2GB stick.

Signal-11

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
2nd Star to the Right
Thanks guys, I will probably look into adding more RAM myself then:)

Yes.

Everything that has been said has value, but they don't address your core problem. You only have 2GB of RAM, you need more and you were somehow under the impression that adding more RAM somehow voided your warranty. It does not. Nothing could be farther from the truth. RAM has always been user upgradeable and is the simplest and easiest thing to do.

Should be around $60 on newegg.com, 5 minutes of work.

Forget this ExpressCard stuff.

airplaneman

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2009
USA
Also... Most of the MBP with the built in SD slot has the ability to support 4GB (13 & 15") and 8Gb (17") of RAM. What on earth are you gonna do with that much RAM in a natebook?

I thought all '09 MBPs can handle 8GB?

To the op: the RAM will be so slow if you did it anyway...

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
EDIT: DoFoT9 beat me to it.
Not to be a jerk, but all the newest MBP's with the SD card slot can support up to 8GB of RAM. Even the low end 13' MBP.

Hey, I'm human... I make errors, occasionally.

NEO apparently the unibody 13s & 15s support 8GB (unofficial). so there is really no need to even worry about that wierd M$ RAM thingo.. flash drives/SD cards are SOO much slower then RAM its not even funny.

Okay.. i made a mistake.
But still, what in god's name would you do with 8Gb if ram in a notebook?

Signal-11

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
2nd Star to the Right
Okay.. i made a mistake.
But still, what in god's name would you do with 8Gb if ram in a notebook?

I know you're younger and you haven't been there yet but there will come some time in the future when you look upon this statement you made in the here and now and you will find it absolutely preposterous.

As a guy who was trying to eke out 4 more KB of RAM by screwing around himem in config.sys and autoexec.bat so he could run F-19 Stealth Fighter when he was a kid, the very concept of finding 4GB of RAM on a portable computer would have blown my mind. Yet, I bang my head against it every day.

There will come a day when you'll find 4 petabytes of RAM (or whatever the equivalent will be when that day comes) to be not nearly enough.

This is not a dig against you or youth. Rather, you'll think about this statement and chuckle about how primitive things were back in the day (today, 16 SEP 2009).

mikes70mustang

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2008
US
But still, what in god's name would you do with 8Gb if ram in a notebook?[/QUOTE]

Run a VM and still do other stuff.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.