PDA

View Full Version : Transfering Hard Disk from one mac to another

sidney1975
Jul 8, 2004, 04:05 AM
Hi,
I have two G4 and I want to add the HD from one to the other. Is it possible to do this without losing the data that is on the disk currently? Is their a procedure I shuld be following? I am running osx/os9 on both macs. I want to put a new larger drive into one and combine the data from the two current macs on the other.

Ta very much in advance

Finiksa
Jul 8, 2004, 04:24 AM
Nope no particular procedure needed, just set the jumper from Master to Slave on the drive you're transferring (unless both drives are currently set to Cable Select which you can leave as is).

When you boot up the machine hold down the Option key and it'll list all bootable partitions on both drives.

Mord
Jul 8, 2004, 06:52 AM
thats assuming that you have a tower if you have an emac or an imac you can but you have to give up your optical drive if you have a laptop then you cant

you could get a hard drive caddy but if you do make sure you get a firewire one

(and next time say exactly what mac you have)

wordmunger
Jul 8, 2004, 07:14 AM
How important is the data on the hard drive you're moving? To be ultra-secure, you should back up your data first. If it would be inconvenient, but not devastating, to lose the data, you'll probably be fine without backing up.

sidney1975
Jul 8, 2004, 10:04 AM
Thanks for help,
I have done the work and all is functioning well with no loss of data.

Ta :)