PDA

View Full Version : replace ibook modem with _____ .... possible?

graydecember
Jul 9, 2004, 11:06 AM
hi. I got an 800Mhz ibook g4 a few months ago and would like to (especially) increase audio performance. Don't need the modem as I use wifi and ethernet exclusively (though I could take that out).

In short, just looking to get some muscle out of that modem or enet slot I don't use- does anyone know of an 3rd party junk to put up in there that will at least be more useful than a 56k?!

thanks!

elliott

Mord
Jul 9, 2004, 11:19 AM
the modem is part of the logic board so such a product cannot exist

crazzyeddie
Jul 9, 2004, 11:20 AM
I don't know quite what you're going to accomplish by getting rid of the modem or ethernet, since those are actually on the motherboard of the iBook.

If you want stellar external sound, check out this company: M-Audio (http://m-audio.com/) They have great Firewire and USB sound systems with up to 7.1 Dolby Surround sound output and various inputs.

There is no way to increase the capabilities of the internal sound card of the iBook.

graydecember
Jul 9, 2004, 11:22 AM
that's what I wanted to know. I thought I saw somewhere it was possible. Are you ceratin I can't just , you know, paste some stuff in there with glue or something?

Dr. Dastardly
Jul 9, 2004, 11:23 AM
that's what I wanted to know. I thought I saw somewhere it was possible. Are you ceratin I can't just , you know, paste some stuff in there with glue or something?
HA!

no. :eek:

latergator116
Jul 9, 2004, 12:12 PM
I beleive the modem on the iBook is detachable from the motherboard, but I don't know if you can replace it with anything.

Mord
Jul 9, 2004, 12:58 PM
I beleive the modem on the iBook is detachable from the motherboard, but I don't know if you can replace it with anything.

as an apple tech i can tell you it's on the logic board i have the service manual that shows this only on some powerbooks was there a detachable card but because of the slow speed of the connector you could only replace it with a serial port which isent that usefull for audio

Finiksa
Jul 9, 2004, 11:03 PM
as an apple tech i can tell you it's on the logic board i have the service manual that shows this only on some powerbooks was there a detachable card

Not true most iBooks have a detachable modem card, I'm not sure if the earlier models did. The 16MB VRAM and up G3 iBooks use modem card part number 661-2676.

Sun Baked
Jul 9, 2004, 11:12 PM
that's what I wanted to know. I thought I saw somewhere it was possible. Are you ceratin I can't just , you know, paste some stuff in there with glue or something?It's an I2S modem, what I2S device are you planning on using?

csubear
Jul 10, 2004, 12:26 AM
If you had alot of time. AND I MEAN ALOT. you could go make your own whatever useing a PIC microcontroller (www.microchip.com). They speak I2S (But i remember that lab being hard). AND you have to hack some sort of driver to interface the os to the new part in you frakenbook(not even sure if apple has put out docs for making I2S drivers for the southbridge). all and all sounds like a master thesis, or phd work for a EE. :)

Mord
Jul 11, 2004, 04:43 PM
Not true most iBooks have a detachable modem card, I'm not sure if the earlier models did. The 16MB VRAM and up G3 iBooks use modem card part number 661-2676.

oh yhea whoops i said that it was on the mobo because i remember when i opened my ibook that it was on the mobo obiously i was mistaken. (now i'm off to study the service manuals)