PDA

View Full Version : Canon PowerShot S500

robotrenegade
Jul 9, 2004, 04:13 PM
Ok I have a digital camera question. I got this camera for my girlfriend so she won't have photoshop etc... Ok I opened the camera to check her out i took some photos etc.. When I plug the card in to my reader or straight from the camera I don't see the drive on my desktop. iPhoto sees it fine but how do i get the video clips off of it?

iJon
Jul 9, 2004, 04:21 PM
its retarded, i have the same camera. you need to install canon's mac software to get the avi's off.

iJon

robotrenegade
Jul 9, 2004, 04:22 PM
its retarded, i have the same camera. you need to install canon's mac software to get the avi's off.

iJon

That sucks, I didn't want to use it. I have a D-100 and i don't need Nikons stuff.

robotrenegade
Jul 9, 2004, 04:25 PM
Also does the disk have the newest version? It says Arcsoft VideoImpression 1.6. Thats what i need to install right?

Freg3000
Jul 9, 2004, 05:05 PM

iJon

No no no!!! Don't install their stupid software, use Image Capture instead. I have the S400 (I love it), so it should work for you as well.

It's very easy tooi.

robotrenegade
Jul 9, 2004, 05:47 PM
No no no!!! Don't install their stupid software, use Image Capture instead. I have the S400 (I love it), so it should work for you as well.

It's very easy tooi.

Thanks that really helps.

FuzzyBallz
Jul 10, 2004, 12:54 AM
Hmmm... must be a Mac thing. I got the S400, shot some videos, plugged the CF card into the reader to my PC, video showed up as QT video.

raynegus
Jul 10, 2004, 02:05 AM
Definitely DO NOT install the crappy Canon software. 3rd party software like that is rarely needed on a Mac.

Use Image Capture for movies, iPhoto for photos.

Great camera by the way. I have one.

Get her an Epson R800 to print 8.5 x 11 on Epson Premium Glossy and she'll be in heaven. (But don't install the crappy Epson software! Download the printer driver off the Epson website if the OS doesn't already have it. You only need the driver.)

Chuck the software that comes with those products. The Japanese make great electronics but they generally SUCK at writing code, especially for the Mac.

papolo
Jul 10, 2004, 10:51 AM
if you plug directly the card form slot such USB or the PCMCIA you need to RE-format the card. So with the utility disk make it a MS-DOS disk, like that you will have compatibility with all OS (Win, Linux and OS X as well). It will not affect any device which uses this card. You don't need to install softs...