PDA

View Full Version : My PB arrived today...

Scorched X
Jul 9, 2004, 05:49 PM
Is it normal for the combo drive to be pretty loud when playing a CD or copying files? It's nice and quiet when I tried playing a DVD.

invaLPsion
Jul 9, 2004, 06:29 PM
Is it normal for the combo drive to be pretty loud when playing a CD or copying files? It's nice and quiet when I tried playing a DVD.

Yep. No worries. It is quite normal for the drive to spin faster when copying files.

How loud are we talking about, though?

Scorched X
Jul 9, 2004, 08:13 PM
Definetely too loud for class. I can understand to be loud when copying files, but I thought it would be relatively quiet when playing a cd. :cool:

All in all, I'm not disappointed with my Powerbook, but I'm not impressed either. Maybe that's because this is my first notebook...

virividox
Jul 9, 2004, 08:37 PM
the cd could be unbalanced that could be causing the extra noise

tdhurst
Jul 9, 2004, 09:04 PM
Definetely too loud for class. I can understand to be loud when copying files, but I thought it would be relatively quiet when playing a cd. :cool:

Too loud for class? What the hell are you in school for if you actually play dvds or cds during class?

I can see the occassional game of snood, but come on...

Scorched X
Jul 10, 2004, 02:08 AM
Too loud for class? What the hell are you in school for if you actually play dvds or cds during class?

I can see the occassional game of snood, but come on...

It was a hypothetical scenario. :rolleyes:

Rod Rod
Jul 10, 2004, 04:16 AM
congrats on the new PowerBook. yup the optical drive noise level can be a little unnerving... but on the bright side, it's better to hear it than to have that sound drowned out by excessive fan noise.