Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scorched X

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 5, 2004
Is it normal for the combo drive to be pretty loud when playing a CD or copying files? It's nice and quiet when I tried playing a DVD.

invaLPsion

macrumors 65816
Jan 2, 2004
The Northlands
Scorched X said:
Is it normal for the combo drive to be pretty loud when playing a CD or copying files? It's nice and quiet when I tried playing a DVD.

Yep. No worries. It is quite normal for the drive to spin faster when copying files.

How loud are we talking about, though?

Scorched X

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 5, 2004
Definetely too loud for class. I can understand to be loud when copying files, but I thought it would be relatively quiet when playing a cd. :cool:

All in all, I'm not disappointed with my Powerbook, but I'm not impressed either. Maybe that's because this is my first notebook...

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Wait....

Scorched X said:
Definetely too loud for class. I can understand to be loud when copying files, but I thought it would be relatively quiet when playing a cd. :cool:

Too loud for class? What the hell are you in school for if you actually play dvds or cds during class?

I can see the occassional game of snood, but come on...

Scorched X

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 5, 2004
appleretailguy said:
Too loud for class? What the hell are you in school for if you actually play dvds or cds during class?

I can see the occassional game of snood, but come on...

It was a hypothetical scenario. :rolleyes:

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
congrats on the new PowerBook. yup the optical drive noise level can be a little unnerving... but on the bright side, it's better to hear it than to have that sound drowned out by excessive fan noise.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.