PDA

View Full Version : How to make my Macbook Work Harder!

Ahheck01
Sep 21, 2009, 12:42 PM
Hey guys, I have a 2.0Ghz Macbook (aluminum, 2gb RAM, 140gb HD). I notice there are a lot of apps that I use that are CPU-intensive that, even when it's plugged in, will only use 25% of the CPU's capacity.

When I'm not using any other program, and it's only using 25%, wouldn't that program run 4 times faster if it would just use 100%? It seems pointless to have it sit there 75% idle while I wait that much longer for a function to finish?

Is there a way to allow certain programs to use more power so they run faster?

Thanks guys,

-Evan

Hellhammer
Sep 21, 2009, 12:48 PM
Check that app's preferences if there's a setting that can limit the CPU usage. Check also your energy saving settings and make sure you're using best performance setting

Ahheck01
Sep 21, 2009, 01:08 PM
Check that app's preferences if there's a setting that can limit the CPU usage. Check also your energy saving settings and make sure you're using best performance setting

So those settings are within the app? I opened up Energy Saver in preferences (running 10.6.1) and there was nothing performance related - only when hard disks and screen dim or turn off. Am I missing something?

-Evan

clyde2801
Sep 22, 2009, 06:29 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't that only apply to power pc macs? I think they did away with that setting in the intels.

Hellhammer
Sep 22, 2009, 06:40 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't that only apply to power pc macs? I think they did away with that setting in the intels.

I don't know.. I only have an iMac :p Maybe I remember wrong. Hopefully someone else can advice us

Zortrium
Sep 22, 2009, 11:47 AM

Correct, that's been gone for awhile.

misterredman
Sep 22, 2009, 12:10 PM
Hey guys, I have a 2.0Ghz Macbook (aluminum, 2gb RAM, 140gb HD). I notice there are a lot of apps that I use that are CPU-intensive that, even when it's plugged in, will only use 25% of the CPU's capacity.

When I'm not using any other program, and it's only using 25%, wouldn't that program run 4 times faster if it would just use 100%? It seems pointless to have it sit there 75% idle while I wait that much longer for a function to finish?

Is there a way to allow certain programs to use more power so they run faster?

Thanks guys,

-Evan

Are you sure there is a bottleneck somewhere else? Like the app reading from the data from the hard drive before processing it?
What kind of apps are you using?