PDA

View Full Version : G5 or not?

percyg23
Sep 21, 2009, 09:12 PM
Hello all, I am thinking about buying a used G5 specs = Dual 2.5Ghz processor
3GB RAM
800 GB internal Hard drive
Tiger 10.4.7 OS
Loaded with Protools (hardware not included), Maya, Carrera, Logic, Final Cut apps, Photoshop, Microsoft Office, Toast Titanium, Reason, Soundsoap and Peak LE. Waves Gold plug-in bundle (ilok not included), Aperture. I own a mac mini 1.83 already and I am running snow leopard on it, I am wondering if the G5 would be able to run snow leopard and whatever else I want to run? I only ask because I am still kind of new to the mac world and I would like to know if I would need to upgrade or just buy a iMac like I really want. i wanted to get an iMac then save and get a mac pro but I dont have the funds and the G5 is a good price for the specs, thanks for reading.

rowsdower
Sep 21, 2009, 09:21 PM
I am wondering if the G5 would be able to run snow leopard and whatever else I want to run?

The G5 will not be able to run Snow Leopard (10.6). The software you need may run under Leopard (10.5), which the G5 will run.

sigmadog
Sep 21, 2009, 10:52 PM
If it's liquid-cooled, I'd avoid it like the plague. I didn't trust liquid-cooled G5's when they were new, and I'd never trust them used. I've heard bad things with regard to leaks and such. I can't remember if the 2.5 was liquid or air cooled. You should check that.

Otherwise, if the price is good, then go for it. Like rowsdower said, you won't be able to run Snow Leopard (10.6), but Leopard (10.5) runs fine on G5's.

OrangeSVTguy
Sep 21, 2009, 11:31 PM
If it's $400 or less, then it's a good bang for buck Mac. As said, Snow Leopard is Intel only so it won't run on the G5.

Only the dual processor 2.5/2.7 and quad(dual processor/dual core) 2.5 were liquid cooled. Best to find a dual-core 2.3 model as that was aircooled and uses the cheaper DDR2 and PCI-E graphics.

But anything really more than $400 wouldn't really be worth it but it is still a powerful computer that will run whatever you throw at it but make sure you upgrade to Leopard 10.5 first :). I'd rather save up for a 24" iMac if it's more than $400.

Chuck Fadanoid
Sep 22, 2009, 05:40 AM
I have a liquid cooled G5 dual 2.7 Ghz and would echo the other poster with regards avoiding liquid cooled models. Never had a problem with mine, but it's a constant worry and I even have the machine running at 2.0 Ghz to try and prolong its life.

That said, for my needs and the software I have running on it, a 2.0 Ghz G5 is still well fast enough, and if you could pick up a newer 2.3 Ghz PCIe for cheap try that.

Granted, no Snow Leopard, but I never saw (and still don't see) anything in Leopard compelling enough to upgrade from Tiger, so am not in the least interested in Snow Leopard :-)

GeneralAntilles
Sep 22, 2009, 05:58 AM
My liquid-cooled dual-2.5GHz died at the beginning of this year. They did agree to repair it for no cost, however, but that repair just failed within a week of the end of the 90 day warranty.

Thankfully after spending hours and hours going in circles with Customer Relation I finally managed to convince them to replace it. Dual-2.26GHz Mac Pro is on the way. ;)

Darth Maynard
Sep 22, 2009, 06:42 AM
As an owner of a G5 2.0 DP, I'd say don't do it. I bought this machine off of ebay last year and it runs well (except for the fans {ugh!}). But down the road looms the threat that the software will only run on Intel. My intention is to wait until the May-August student/teacher incentive that Apple has and buy a refurbished MBP then. The software you mention is enticing, but without the discs, you don't really own it and that's how any customer support will see it. (If you don't have the ilok, it won't work. That's kind of why they have that.)

You don't mention what you do, but if you plan to use most of the apps you list, you're better off getting something that is just behind the cutting edge than something that is already cut off.

MacBoobsPro
Sep 22, 2009, 06:45 AM
As an owner of a G5 2.0 DP, I'd say don't do it. I bought this machine off of ebay last year and it runs well (except for the fans {ugh!}). But down the road looms the threat that the software will only run on Intel. My intention is to wait until the May-August student/teacher incentive that Apple has and buy a refurbished MBP then. The software you mention is enticing, but without the discs, you don't really own it and that's how any customer support will see it. (If you don't have the ilok, it won't work. That's kind of why they have that.)

You don't mention what you do, but if you plan to use most of the apps you list, you're better off getting something that is just behind the cutting edge than something that is already cut off.

Set your processor speed to highest and you will hardly ever hear the fans. ;)

Darth Maynard
Sep 22, 2009, 06:47 AM
Been there, done that. Need to get it to a tech as :apple: has listed as a vintage product and cut it loose.

Thanks all the same though

OrangeSVTguy
Sep 22, 2009, 08:33 AM
My G5s were the quietest Macs I ever owned. I use to let them run for weeks straight encoding video and I never once heard the fans rev up. Then again I also had the processor settings set to max performance.

The only time they would rev at top end was when I removed the clear shield. Check to make sure that's not the culprit of yours. There's 3 tabs in the bottom that fit into the slots, the slot in the far right(towards the back is where the sensor is. Try sticking something non-metallic in there to see if the fans run at normal.

Pressure
Sep 22, 2009, 08:36 AM
I would advice against it.

Even the Mac Mini will be a better performer these days. Sad but true.

DoFoT9
Sep 22, 2009, 08:38 AM
I would advice against it.

i must say that i agree with you on this. no go.

percyg23
Sep 22, 2009, 09:54 AM
Thanks for the quick replies I really appreciate it!!! I like a said I am still kind of a newbie to mac I have owned my mini for almost two years now, (there is so much you can do with a mac, I dont want to consider myself versed until I am knowledgable as I am with a suckie windows pc). I should have read a little bit more to know that snow leopard will only run on intel macs. I guess I should do as I originally planned and get a refurbed mac from apple online and just go from there, (they do a really good job of refurbing and reselling their products). Thanks for all of the info guys, take care.

percyg23:D:D

300D
Sep 23, 2009, 03:30 AM

Except in graphical power, hard drive speed, optical drive speed and expandability.

DoFoT9
Sep 23, 2009, 03:49 AM
Except in graphical power, hard drive speed, optical drive speed and expandability.

maybe if the G5 has a 7800 or FX 4500 :rolleyes: otherwise the 9400M is more powerful.

hard drive speed i guess so, a 7200RPM HDD will fix that

optical drive speed... :confused: who even uses those anymore lol.

could always go external :D

depends what the OP will be doing with it.