Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

morrisman1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Hi

At university here we have a network setup which is shared across all the halls. My local address is 10.8.40.xx and my mates address 10.8.24.xx. I am on router 10.8.47.xx and he is on 10.8.24.xx.

No bonjour services seem to work over the network but i can run pings and traceroutes to his address.

I want to get EyeTV shared library because he is savings lots of tv shows off the air and i dont have a tv tuner. Is there any way to get the application to look a little further abroad than what it is currently? Apparently it uses bonjour so maybe that is contributing. Ichat bonjour doesnt work between the macs either

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
Hi

At university here we have a network setup which is shared across all the halls. My local address is 10.8.40.xx and my mates address 10.8.24.xx. I am on router 10.8.47.xx and he is on 10.8.24.xx.

No bonjour services seem to work over the network but i can run pings and traceroutes to his address.

I want to get EyeTV shared library because he is savings lots of tv shows off the air and i dont have a tv tuner. Is there any way to get the application to look a little further abroad than what it is currently? Apparently it uses bonjour so maybe that is contributing. Ichat bonjour doesnt work between the macs either

Different subnet, so no. The IT guys there are smart. :) Can't have a flat network THAT large... that cRAzY.

Zortrium

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003
If you can ping and traceroute to him then you can probably make this work by using Network Beacon over an SSH connection. This is what I've used to access my home iTunes share from work.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
If you can ping and traceroute to him then you can probably make this work by using Network Beacon over an SSH connection. This is what I've used to access my home iTunes share from work.

If you're local though, I'd avoid adding SSH to the mix. It severely degrades network performance, and watching video is one of those items that can require more bandwidth.

Zortrium

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003
If you're local though, I'd avoid adding SSH to the mix. It severely degrades network performance, and watching video is one of those items that can require more bandwidth.

Or you could argue that if you're local, you've got plenty of bandwidth so it doesn't matter anyways. :) For instance, I run VNC over SSH since VNC by itself isn't terribly secure, but it does noticeably degrade the connection since my VNC server's upload bandwidth is quite limited. Doing the same thing on my LAN would be no problem whatsoever.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
Or you could argue that if you're local, you've got plenty of bandwidth so it doesn't matter anyways. :)

You're missing the point. Network bandwidth is not the issue.

On a gigabit LAN, I can only manage about 3-4 MB/sec using SSH when copying files via sftp. Using FTP, I can easily get 15 - 20 MB/sec. I've experienced this across the board, no matter what equipment was used for either the client or the server. For that matter, I tested between two HP-UX boxes connected via 4Gb fiber to separate EVAs, and the boxes were networked by one Cisco 6509-E running gigabit to both boxes, and still experienced a slow down. If I use my laptop to connect to my Dell desktop over 100 Mb wired through a Linksys router, it still only gets 3-4 MB/sec. The limitation is the speed of SSH.

Now, say you've got 40 Gb of bandwidth, SSH can only encrypt/decrypt so fast, and thus if I can only get 3-4 MB/sec out of it, then anything above 100 Mb is useless.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
ok thanks. Im going to try that network beacon thing next time i have a chance to talk to him.

Are there any settings that i should be using and do i need to set anything up on my mates computer other than sharing of his eyeTV library?

allow file sharing, get his username and password and away you go. nice and fast too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.