PDA

View Full Version : Apple gaming console

cytoxyn
Sep 22, 2009, 07:33 AM
Here is a little conspiracy theory for you. Apple recently deleted the lesser apple TV from the store, maintaining the higher capacity only. The existence of a "iprod" notation in recent code releases. Appshopper.com recently reported that nearly 1400 apps were approved last week; most of which were games.
Finally, compounded with Apple's statements at the 09/09/09 press event that the touch is a gaming system, is there and Apple console gaming device in the not so distant future?

Revelation78
Sep 22, 2009, 07:46 AM
It's possible...

Most, here, have speculated that the next itertion of the AppleTV will have it's own app store. I tend to agree with this notion. I'm sure the current AppleTV's software will be updated to take advantage of the app store, though I think Apple will cripple the old model via software to try to get everyone to buy the newest model.

Whether you agree with that last bit or not is entirely up to you.

DoFoT9
Sep 22, 2009, 07:48 AM
there could be! but im more certain that there wont be.

steve jobs has referred to the ipod touch as their gaming machine, whether he means their portable one or not i dont know.

would be nice i guess. this time it might succeed :rolleyes:

PilotWoo
Sep 22, 2009, 07:49 AM
Next Apple TV update;

AppleTV HD
Updated Hardware Spec to provide 1080p/Gaming & new remote/controller
Web Browsing
App Store to Apple TV
Optional Bluray

DoFoT9
Sep 22, 2009, 07:51 AM
Next Apple TV update;

AppleTV HD
Updated Hardware Spec to provide 1080p & new remote/controller
App Store to Apple TV
Optional Bluray

why would they need to update the hardware specs when the current one is already capable of 1080p??

a new remote would be nice.

Dagless
Sep 22, 2009, 08:07 AM
I doubt it. There are 3 consoles out already that are doing a very good job, it's not like the MP3 player market where nobody got it right until Apple. And given the quality of games on the App Store I wouldn't even hold much hope of it being a good system (if such a thing were to exist).
The iPhone is okay for phone gaming but if were to make a home console it would be up against Microsoft, Sony and friggin Nintendo. Phone games dont cut it on the big screen.

MikeDTyke
Sep 22, 2009, 08:12 AM
why would they need to update the hardware specs when the current one is already capable of 1080p??

It can show it's menu in 1080p, it can only decode video up to 720p.

Apple needs to get quicktime 10 onto the :apple:TV fast along with a GPU able to decode 1080p.

Even though there's no way people are going to download 1080p content over teh interwebby tubes anytime soon.

MikeDTyke
Sep 22, 2009, 08:14 AM
I doubt it. There are 3 consoles out already that are doing a very good job, it's not like the MP3 player market where nobody got it right until Apple. And given the quality of games on the App Store I wouldn't even hold much hope of it being a good system (if such a thing were to exist).
The iPhone is okay for phone gaming but if were to make a home console it would be up against Microsoft, Sony and friggin Nintendo. Phone games dont cut it on the big screen.

I very much doubt Apple is going after the big three. An enhanced :apple:TV with an app store would provide a nice casual gaming platform, ie. something to do whilst waiting for your iTunes purchase of Twilight in HD :p to download.

DoFoT9
Sep 22, 2009, 08:14 AM
It can show it's menu in 1080p, it can only decode video up to 720p.

Apple needs to get quicktime 10 onto the :apple:TV fast along with a GPU able to decode 1080p.
the current hardware in the :apple:TV is capable of decoding FULL 40mbps 1080p content, it is the software that is limiting it. i wish they would fix it their sales would increase dramatically with the change from 720p to 1080p.

Even though there's no way people are going to download 1080p content over teh interwebby tubes anytime soon.
that is true. i wish it were not :(

sammich
Sep 22, 2009, 08:17 AM
How are we supposed to game on the :apple:TV exactly? With the Apple Remote? Or does everyone need to buy a iPod Touch or iPhone to be able to control games on the :apple:TV?

DoFoT9
Sep 22, 2009, 08:19 AM
How are we supposed to game on the :apple:TV exactly? With the Apple Remote? Or does everyone need to buy a iPod Touch or iPhone to be able to control games on the :apple:TV?

if we had to buy an ipod touch that would be a rip off, they should include one ;)

that would be sort of cool though, racing games using the built in accelerometer and whatnot.

MikeDTyke
Sep 22, 2009, 08:20 AM
Here is a little conspiracy theory for you. Apple recently deleted the lesser apple TV from the store, maintaining the higher capacity only. The existence of a "iprod" notation in recent code releases. Appshopper.com recently reported that nearly 1400 apps were approved last week; most of which were games.
Finally, compounded with Apple's statements at the 09/09/09 press event that the touch is a gaming system, is there and Apple console gaming device in the not so distant future?

Most people think the iProd is a moniker for the tablet not an AppleTV replacement.

I think you are reaching a lot with those disparate nuggets of info.

Ivan P
Sep 22, 2009, 08:23 AM
There already is an Apple gaming console that was introduced in the mid-1990's. I know it's not comparable to any new consoles, but it still exists :P

DoFoT9
Sep 22, 2009, 08:26 AM
There already is an Apple gaming console that was introduced in the mid-1990's. I know it's not comparable to any new consoles, but it still exists :P

im fairly certain most people threw theirs out with shame. a few idiots might have kept it though! it was too advanced for its time with the built in modem for multiplayer and all of that junk, who would want that :rolleyes: :p

BORIStheBLADE
Sep 22, 2009, 09:21 AM

This is the first thought that came to me. That Atv remote isn't going to cut it..

PilotWoo
Sep 23, 2009, 07:21 AM

With the new controller, or an app for the Touch/iPhone which allows you to use that instead/aswell for multiplayer.

An Apple TV gaming system wouldn't directly compete with the PS3/XBox/Wii. Think how all three of these systems sell smaller games through their online stores. This is where Apple will compete, not against the big blockbuster titles.

blackpond
Sep 23, 2009, 04:26 PM
I'd rather see the product become better at what it was intended for... namely on-demand television and movies. I already have a game system.

ItsAllLuck
Sep 24, 2009, 12:23 PM
i think an apple gaming console would be huge... think about all the games sold through the app store for the iphone/ipod touch.

nutmac
Sep 24, 2009, 06:41 PM
While I think Apple TV needs an app store, I disagree with evolving it as a gaming console. Let's face it: (1) Apple TV isn't so great as a media center and (2) it faces fierce competition from Microsoft, Nintendo, and Sony.

When Nintendo launched Wii against technically superior PS3 and Xbox 360, it offered different gaming experience, in the form of motion sensitive controller and family friendly titles. Like the Wii, there's a place for pure home theater extender.

But doing it right means Apple TV needs to do more. TV/movie enthusiast expect media extender to be able to play larger array of video formats, watch video stream from Hulu, Netflix, etc., as well as DVD/Blu-Ray titles. DVR would be another nicety, but due to complicated battle betweenTiVo and cable/satellite providers, that may be something best left to others.

By adding SDK and app store to Apple TV, developers will write games for it, and Apple TV may even become a player in the gaming console market. But I hope that does not come at the expense of home theater functions.