Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 20, 2002
Lowell jackpot winner finally comes forward

By Donovan Slack, Globe Staff *|* July 10, 2004

A 67-year-old retired janitor from Lowell who has spent much of her working life picking up after others walked away yesterday with the largest lottery jackpot in state history.

Dressed in a peach and yellow shirt bought especially for the occasion, Geraldine "Gerry" Williams burst into tears after lottery officials handed her a ceremonial oversized check for $294 million at Massachusetts Lottery headquarters in Braintree.

"I don't know what it is to have money," Williams said, biting her lip nervously before a phalanx of media. "I hope I don't change."

http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2004/07/10/retired_janitor_cleans_up_117m/

musicpyrite

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Cape Cod
lol...by 'cleans up 117 million' i thought you meant someone found 117 million...

if i remember right, by the end of 8th grade, if found around 50$ - all in pennies, nickles, dimes and quaters... :D

spent the money on RAM :cool:

jimsowden

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2003
NY
Its always good to see someone who deserves the money (i.e. they are moraly straight) get it.

rendezvouscp

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2003
Long Beach, California
Wow, that's so great. I'm so happy for her. And it's a woman! Sorry, but it seems that men win a lot more than women, so it's not a negative comment or anything. She seemed so happy!
–Chase

musicpyrite

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Cape Cod
rendezvouscp said:
And it's a woman! Sorry, but it seems that men win a lot more than women, so it's not a negative comment or anything.

Yea, because men get drunk and are idiots so they spend a two weeks paycheck on loto tickets...

...wait a second... I am a man!!! :D

wdlove

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 20, 2002
When they interviewed her on our local news, she seemed like a very deserving lady. Has had a hard life as a janitor. Her neighbors spoke of a very kind lady. Always trying to better the neighborhood, she would pickup trash around the area. Enjoyed helping out the elderly in the area. Now she will get to enjoy life. Wants to help out her children and give to charity. "Above all, no I can travel."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.