PDA

View Full Version : AT&T Deactivating 'View My Message' Service for iPhone Users Ahead of MMS Launch

MacRumors
Sep 22, 2009, 12:18 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/09/22/atandt-deactivating-view-my-message-service-for-iphone-users-ahead-of-mms-launch/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2009/09/22/131816-view_my_message.jpg

Several AT&T iPhone users have reported today receiving text messages from the wireless carrier informing them that the company's View My Message (http://www2.viewmymessage.com/en/legacy/login.jsp) workaround for receiving multimedia messages will be deactivated as accounts are prepared for MMS activation on September 25th (http://www.macrumors.com/2009/09/03/atandt-announces-iphone-mms-launch-date-september-25/).AT&T Free Msg: Picture & video messaging (MMS) will be available for iPhone on 9/25. While we prepare your account for MMS capability, the current "view my message" experience will be turned off but your ability to send and receive text messages will not be affected.The View My Message service has been viewed by many as an inconsistent service that offers an awkward experience for users. Consequently, the addition of full MMS support from AT&T has been a highly anticipated addition for many iPhone users in the United States.

Article Link: AT&T Deactivating 'View My Message' Service for iPhone Users Ahead of MMS Launch (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/09/22/atandt-deactivating-view-my-message-service-for-iphone-users-ahead-of-mms-launch/)

jav6454
Sep 22, 2009, 12:20 PM
Let the pouring of posts begin speculating.

yg17
Sep 22, 2009, 12:21 PM
Let the pouring of posts begin whining.

Fixed that for you.

jav6454
Sep 22, 2009, 12:22 PM
Fixed that for you.

Thank you, it seems caffeine can't keep me up to speed.

superstrikertwo
Sep 22, 2009, 12:24 PM
I never even got viewmymessage texts it didn't work at all.

jav6454
Sep 22, 2009, 12:25 PM

Like the article said, it was a weird service. It only worked for me twice out of God knows how many MMS I got.

mudads
Sep 22, 2009, 12:26 PM
Never worked for me either. And I didn't get this text either! Oh no! :D

Looking forward to Friday for sure!

Aldaris
Sep 22, 2009, 12:39 PM
It was a ridiculous 'workaround' if that even classifies.

It sometimes took up to an hour for my user name password to work, dumb service, and being turned off prematurely if you ask me. They should wait until the 27th or October 1.

But hey the death star will do what the death star will do.

Aldaris
Sep 22, 2009, 12:41 PM
Next you'll get a bubble saying "Your At&t Account is set up for MMS! You can use this new exciting feature September 25, at 11:59 P.M. Pacific Time";)

brian4610
Sep 22, 2009, 12:43 PM
so now "officially" it doesn't work....

tyrnight
Sep 22, 2009, 12:45 PM

yea.. that service never worked for me either.. I had all three iphones ver.. and I have now moved away from ATT.. Oh well

GoCubsGo
Sep 22, 2009, 12:47 PM
While we prepare to give you what you should have had all along, we will also take away any possibility of you getting any MMS.

BTW I never get any of these AT&T messages. :D

-aggie-
Sep 22, 2009, 12:49 PM
so now "officially" it doesn't work....

It'll probably start working now that they're going to turn it off.

Solfeggio4
Sep 22, 2009, 12:52 PM
So... ummmm... what does this mean for 1st gen. iPhone owners who supposedly can't do MMS either?

JKubecki
Sep 22, 2009, 12:54 PM
I never got a "viewmymessage" message, but it seems to me that this is the way MMS ALWAYS worked regardless of phone on Sprint. I remember never actually getting an MMS message, but got plenty of "Such-and-such sent you PictureMailTM" messages whenever someone would send me a pic.

GreasyKeane
Sep 22, 2009, 12:55 PM
I used to get the view my message notifications but about a year ago they just stopped coming and people would say they sent me a picture but I would never get any messages. It was annoying at first but then I got used to it and thought that they turned it off for everyone. I wish they would have at least sent me a notification stating that they were turning mine off but no matter since MMS messaging is coming soon enough.

micformac
Sep 22, 2009, 01:07 PM
So considering the MMS feature won't be supported on the original iPhone, and they are turning off "view my message", I guess I REALLY REALLY won't be able to send any photos. Not that "view my message" ever worked well anyways.

Peace
Sep 22, 2009, 01:10 PM
If they're turning off "view my message" how are people seeing the message sent to them by AT&T without actually opening up the message app ?
:confused:

deannnnn
Sep 22, 2009, 01:13 PM
Let the pouring of posts begin speculating.

People who complain about the surplus of MMS related posts on this website are even more annoying than the MMS posts themselves.

PS. Can't wait till Friday ;)

CaryMacGuy
Sep 22, 2009, 01:52 PM
AT&T = All Trouble and Time-Wasting. That was something that Brian Cooley said a while ago and it is trouble. Verizon is really where its at...once they get the iPhone, I will be switching back. However, they better improve the VCast video quality by then.

spillproof
Sep 22, 2009, 01:55 PM
I forgot all about this service.

If they're turning off "view my message" how are people seeing the message sent to them by AT&T without actually opening up the message app ?

Say what? I think you are confused, or I do not understand your humor.

sishaw
Sep 22, 2009, 01:57 PM

Because the AT&T message is text. "View my message" was only for pictures. Text messaging isn't affected. Wait, was this a joke?

regroll
Sep 22, 2009, 02:30 PM
worst 'feature' I've ever had to endure. AT&T will have to floor me to keep their "service" for the next 20 months....I count down the days. by then Verizon or hell, I'll take T-mobile if I have to. A-n-y-o-n-e else if only to complain about different saddle sores.

ouimetnick
Sep 22, 2009, 02:47 PM
What wil Original iPhone owners do then?
They won't have View my messages, then there screwed.

tobefirst
Sep 22, 2009, 02:51 PM

Ooh! This is a very good point. I hadn't really thought about it. Now I'm curious, too, even though I've upgraded.

mocciat
Sep 22, 2009, 03:44 PM
So considering the MMS feature won't be supported on the original iPhone, and they are turning off "view my message", I guess I REALLY REALLY won't be able to send any photos. Not that "view my message" ever worked well anyways.

Ummm....you can still send photos via email can't you? I don't get the fascination with MMS anyway, just send the photo via email. Email is more reliable anyway. But to each their own i guess so let MMS be alive!!!

lokey
Sep 22, 2009, 04:32 PM
Sounds like 'view my message' will still be available for the iPhone 2G users. We haven't heard anything that the entire site is going away, just that the 'experience' is changing for these people who received the message.

Honestly, I still don't understand why iPhone 2G won't be able to use MMS.

Randman
Sep 22, 2009, 04:34 PM
Honestly, I still don't understand why iPhone 2G won't be able to use MMS.

So you would have to upgrade and buy a new iPhone. Duh.

poppe
Sep 22, 2009, 04:34 PM
So there stopping a service that worked about 15% of the time? Well that just makes me so upset.

g00dbye
Sep 22, 2009, 04:36 PM
I'm sure this has probably been answered before, but I was curious. Will MMS cost anything extra on top of regular SMS monthly fees?

spillproof
Sep 22, 2009, 04:42 PM
I'm sure this has probably been answered before, but I was curious. Will MMS cost anything extra on top of regular SMS monthly fees?

nope. :)

binaryskies
Sep 22, 2009, 04:50 PM
The "View My Message" service will NOT be missed by me. It was a pain and hardly ever worked. Hopefully, MMS will work CORRECTLY. I really hope AT&T gets something right this time.

bondsbw
Sep 22, 2009, 06:04 PM
I'm sure this has probably been answered before, but I was curious. Will MMS cost anything extra on top of regular SMS monthly fees?nope. :)

Will MMS be available for users not on a monthly plan? Will it cost more than a regular text message ($0.20)?

Floyd26
Sep 22, 2009, 06:09 PM
viewmymessage worked a couple of times for me, but not that offend,........................ARE ALL IPHONE USER READY TO INUNDATE at&t FULLY FUNCTIONALLY SYSTEM NOW

Peace
Sep 22, 2009, 06:13 PM
I forgot all about this service.

Say what? I think you are confused, or I do not understand your humor.

Because the AT&T message is text. "View my message" was only for pictures. Text messaging isn't affected. Wait, was this a joke?

Yes. It was a joke.;)

Krizoitz
Sep 22, 2009, 07:42 PM
So I realized awhile back that I was never recieving MMS messages. At first this was no surprise, I dont' have a lot of friends who use them, but one day when someone asked if i'd gotten the one they sent I became suspicious. So I called AT&T.

The first time the technician "tried a few things" then transfered me to Apple, I told them not to, but they did anyway. The Apple rep apologized, they had no control over the ViewMyMessage site (I knew that), so I gave up for that day.

The second time I called the same thing happened, but when they transfered me to Apple and I explained it to the person their he called ATT back and got someone who had a clue what they were doing. After doing some digging we figured out why it wasn't working.

Basically ATT had a stupid system.

The ONLY way the system would work was if you had the specific text message plan for iPhones. If you had ANY other plan, such as a family text plan (in my case, family unlimited) this is what happened:

Someone sends me an MMS message
ATTs system recieves it, sees i'm on an iPhone
ATTs system reroutes it to ViewMyMessages
ATTs system sees that i'm not on the iPhone text plan
ATTs system gets really confused and gives up
The MMS gets lost in cyberspace and I never get a text

They hadn't bothered to consider that *GASP* some of their customers might be on family texting plan. Seriously, that seems like a pretty basic scenario to me, but apparently their quality control team didn't even bother to check it out.

*sigh*

Stupid ATT.

phineas
Sep 22, 2009, 08:28 PM
Well now the 3G should crawl at even a slower snails pace.

jtorres204
Sep 22, 2009, 10:45 PM
Ooh! This is a very good point. I hadn't really thought about it. Now I'm curious, too, even though I've upgraded.

i think the service was disable for 3G AND 3GS ONLY:)

jtorres204
Sep 22, 2009, 10:58 PM

WITH MMS BUDDY APP+view my message YOU R ALL GOOD TO GO , I THINK THE SERVIVICE WAS DISABLE FOR 3G AND 3GS ONLY, BUT WHO KNOWS ...

Shagrat
Sep 23, 2009, 12:33 AM
Was going to send you all a photo of what this looks like onmy iPhone, but i thought that would be cruel, as I'm on 02 in the uk....

Will be nice when AT&T finally catches up.

BTW, i have yet to actually SEND an MMS....so I guess this isn't such a deal after all.

cocky jeremy
Sep 23, 2009, 01:42 AM
Was going to send you all a photo of what this looks like onmy iPhone, but i thought that would be cruel, as I'm on 02 in the uk....

Will be nice when AT&T finally catches up.

BTW, i have yet to actually SEND an MMS....so I guess this isn't such a deal after all.
To YOU! lol. I canít wait. Iím gonna send 1000 a day. 

djchuckc27
Sep 23, 2009, 04:00 AM
i really hope at&t blows everyone away with iphone mms.

W1LLk
Sep 23, 2009, 07:27 AM

I read that a few times, and if it was a joke, it's a strange execution.

Baddcow
Sep 23, 2009, 08:30 AM
So I realized awhile back that I was never recieving MMS messages. At first this was no surprise, I dont' have a lot of friends who use them, but one day when someone asked if i'd gotten the one they sent I became suspicious. So I called AT&T.

The first time the technician "tried a few things" then transfered me to Apple, I told them not to, but they did anyway. The Apple rep apologized, they had no control over the ViewMyMessage site (I knew that), so I gave up for that day.

The second time I called the same thing happened, but when they transfered me to Apple and I explained it to the person their he called ATT back and got someone who had a clue what they were doing. After doing some digging we figured out why it wasn't working.

Basically ATT had a stupid system.

The ONLY way the system would work was if you had the specific text message plan for iPhones. If you had ANY other plan, such as a family text plan (in my case, family unlimited) this is what happened:

Someone sends me an MMS message
ATTs system recieves it, sees i'm on an iPhone
ATTs system reroutes it to ViewMyMessages
ATTs system sees that i'm not on the iPhone text plan
ATTs system gets really confused and gives up
The MMS gets lost in cyberspace and I never get a text

They hadn't bothered to consider that *GASP* some of their customers might be on family texting plan. Seriously, that seems like a pretty basic scenario to me, but apparently their quality control team didn't even bother to check it out.

*sigh*

Stupid ATT.

I thought I was the only one caught in Recursion.

mpacific
Sep 23, 2009, 10:09 AM
I still have yet to receive that text. Am I alone?

-aggie-
Sep 23, 2009, 10:10 AM
I still have yet to receive that text. Am I alone?

Nope. I haven't received it either. The opt out was removed though.

edesignuk
Sep 23, 2009, 10:13 AM
Pretty hysterical that it's 2009, discussion is around a modern network/handset...and the news is that soon you will be getting MMS. Stonking good job, bravo.

Andruw91
Sep 23, 2009, 12:21 PM
I got a message from AT&T today, but it wasn't one about MMS. It was about roaming internationally:

GlowingApple
Sep 23, 2009, 01:33 PM

Original iPhone owners are on a different data plan. I'm would assume AT&T is only turning off the MMS-workaround for those who have the 3G data plan for the iPhone.

Tilt
Sep 23, 2009, 02:28 PM
coming from t-mobile I talked my wife into upgrading our phones and service to AT&T and Iphone a couple of weeks ago. I was floored when I found out users are still waiting for mms. One thing that also gets me is that our other family lines have to have data plans active to send mms but mms is covered under our unlimited text. We never had data plan on T-mobile :cool:.
oh well Friday is soon approaching and it will be nice to use the service the way it should of been.

spillproof
Sep 23, 2009, 06:25 PM
Will MMS be available for users not on a monthly plan? Will it cost more than a regular text message ($0.20)?

Yes, as long as you get the carrier update. An MMS message sent on a phone with no messaging bundle is $0.30. I dug around a bit and didn't find much, but I'd say that standard rates would apply to an iPhone as well.

ecaval
Sep 26, 2009, 08:35 PM
eh, pretty lame that it took this long to get MMS.... a basic feature on any FREE phone providers are giving away.

....and even LAMER that they're not including 2g's. I'm holding out for 4g.... with VERIZON as my carrier. ATT can go to hell.

iMrNiceGuy0023
Oct 2, 2009, 12:02 AM
so people that dont upgrade to 3.1 wont be able to use the viewmymessage anymore if someone sends them a pic?