PDA

View Full Version : Firewire enclosure - help me quick!

AppleMatt
Jul 10, 2004, 02:47 PM
I need a FW enclosure to put an external DVD burner in, that will be detected by disk utility (important part).

If I buy a Formac CD-RW one, and stick a NEC DVD burner in it, will it work?

Quickly, the auctions about to end and I wanna save some cash! (Generic FW enclosures are going for 10 more)

AppleMatt

Muzukun
Jul 10, 2004, 04:02 PM
I need a FW enclosure to put an external DVD burner in, that will be detected by disk utility (important part).

If I buy a Formac CD-RW one, and stick a NEC DVD burner in it, will it work?

Quickly, the auctions about to end and I wanna save some cash! (Generic FW enclosures are going for 10 more)

AppleMatt

most people here said it should work, if not to use something called patchburn (google search it apparently) also said stick with sony and pioneer for the drives if you can, I haven't done it yet though if you do get a NEC tell me how that goes :) I'm looking at Benq and LG for mine or maybe lite on

AppleMatt
Jul 12, 2004, 10:08 AM
most people here said it should work, if not to use something called patchburn (google search it apparently) also said stick with sony and pioneer for the drives if you can, I haven't done it yet though if you do get a NEC tell me how that goes :) I'm looking at Benq and LG for mine or maybe lite on

Does here mean MacRumors forums? I did a search but didn't come up with anything specific.

I'm a bit worried about this thread;
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=50688

I think I'll just buy a usual one, I've asked around and no-one seems to be able to confidently say "yes it will work".

AppleMatt

Muzukun
Jul 12, 2004, 11:35 AM
yeah, here means macrumors

I posted a similar thread earlier, if you want try and find it and see what they said there

seamuskrat
Jul 12, 2004, 11:58 AM
I took a generic external case and put in a Pioneer 104. It works fine with toast. iDVD, Disk Utility et all needed a patch to work.

I did get it to work.