Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pozytron

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2003
...wait, it's not an iPod!

B00028DJTY.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Buy it on Amazon!

Take a look at the onscreen menus... look a tad familiar?

bluebull

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2003
DC
I love the "Ok" button.
It even has its own finger groove. Something about it is just making me laugh... :rolleyes:

jhershauer

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2003
Gilbert, AZ
Well, it's not just a finger groove...it's their version of the Apple touch wheel, and apple does have an "OK" button in the middle of their wheel, they just didn't label it. If their touch pad keeps scrolling as long as you're applying pressure up or down, then it should work fine, but if you have to keep picking up and re-swiping your finger, it's not going to cut it.

This thing doesn't make me want to trade in my iPod, but as copycats go, this is about as nice of a device as I've seen. They just need to bring the size down a tad more to match the iPod. In "pocket devices", every ounce counts.

Edit: I guess they're at least providing a nice feature with that extra weight and thickness...24 hour battery life. That could really make a difference for some on-the-go people.

bluebull said:
I love the "Ok" button.
It even has its own finger groove. Something about it is just making me laugh... :rolleyes:

hob

macrumors 68010
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
unless this is what you were gettin at - the OS (whilst indeed looks just like the iPod OS) looks just like the OS I just saw on a Dell DJ!!

Hob

insidedanshead

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
Doesn't anyone think for themselves anymore? Now its just, "let's see how close we can copy Apple without a lawsuit."

Makes me sick. Blah.

MorganX

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2003
Midwest
goodtimes5 said:
lol a random button

Actually, as much as I use random, especially when playing my whole library. I think it's pretty convenient.

Other than that though, I don't know why people think this is a copy of the iPod. It looks nothing like the iPod to me. It rather ugly.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Many may try to copy and idea. In the end you will get the quality that you pay for the item. It seems when an idea is copied, the quality is lower.

Elan0204

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2002
Chicago, IL
Actually, I think this is probably the best iPod copy yet. It's cheaper than an iPod, has a 20GB hard drive, not much bigger than an iPod, and has a 24 hour battery life. That's 3 times longer than the iPod, and could really sway people to buy the Zen instead. I really hope the 4th gen iPods get a battery like this one.

srobert

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2002
Impossible to use with only one hand. (at least without extreme contortion ^_^) Maybe if you hold it upside down.

Jalexster

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2004
It's a Creative player.

In other words, Best in terms of audio qualtiy, second or third best in terms of features (iRiver and possibly Rio are better in this respect. But nothing will beat iRiver in terms of features.)

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
I like it. Nice clean design.
I will forward my home address for those who feel compelled to come by and hurl burning objects.

Jalexster

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2004
I forgot to mention, the reason why the Dell DJ's menus are similar, is because Creative designed the menus for Dell. They may have also designed the internals aswell. I think the Dell DJ has similar Audio Quality to Creative's players.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Important Research

Biopure a company in Cambridge is struggling to be the first company to develop artificial blood. In the casse of mass casulities there is a great need for this kind of alterantive. A definite way to know that you are getting blood free of disease.

http://www.boston.com/business/technology/biotechnology/articles/2004/07/16/substitute_strategy/

Scientists are struggling to understand the effect of greenhouse gas being absored by the ocean. It makes the ocean increase in acidity. They knew that the ocean absobed CO2, just not the amount.

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2004/07/16/greenhouse_gas_buildup_seen_as_risk_to_oceans/

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Have you noticed that 70% of the people who looked at it still went with something else?

I'm happy with my mini thank you. Batter life doesn't bother me to much, and I have better headphones already. I'm normally not one for style over substance, but so far I've been pretty happy with the substance.

My only complaint is a lack of voice recording. I might get a 4th Gen iPod and an iTalk some day. Maybe.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.