PDA

View Full Version : TomTom Car Kit for iPhone to Be Priced at $119.95 in U.S.

MacRumors
Sep 25, 2009, 08:59 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/09/25/tomtom-car-kit-for-iphone-to-be-priced-at-119-95-in-u-s/)

GPSTracklog reports (http://gpstracklog.com/2009/09/tomtom-iphone-car-kit-pricing.html) that TomTom has released a brief statement noting that the GPS car kit for the iPhone will be priced at $119.95 in the U.S. when it launches next month and will be compatible with all iPhone models. The press release reportedly reads:TomTom announces today that the TomTom car kit for the iPhone will have a recommended retail price of EUR 99.99 or USD 119.95.

The TomTom car kit will be available this October and will be sold separately from the TomTom app. It will be compatible with the iPhone 2G, 3G and 3GS.

All further details on the car kit will be made available soon.The company released a similar statement yesterday after the device briefly appeared (http://www.macrumors.com/2009/09/24/tomtom-car-kit-for-iphone-appears-in-apples-european-online-stores/) in a number of European Apple online stores, but U.S. pricing was not addressed at that time. The listings on Apple's site had suggested that the TomTom iPhone application would be included in the car kit price, but TomTom's statement clarified the situation by noting that the application is in fact not included and must be purchased separately.

Article Link: TomTom Car Kit for iPhone to Be Priced at $119.95 in U.S. (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/09/25/tomtom-car-kit-for-iphone-to-be-priced-at-119-95-in-u-s/)

dkhenkin
Sep 25, 2009, 09:03 AM
Wow, gonna have to pass on this retarded ****. Too bad if it was around $50 I would have grabbed it up for sure.

cyclingplatypus
Sep 25, 2009, 09:06 AM
I think they really missed the mark with this one, I'd rather buy a dedicated unit with a bigger display. $119 bundled with the app is one thing but $119 in addition to the app... :confused:

juanster
Sep 25, 2009, 09:06 AM
Yeah. No thanks. A bit too pricey without the app. I can get a better stand alone unit for that price. I know it's the greatest of all in one device. But it simply isn't worth that much more IMO.

DMann
Sep 25, 2009, 09:08 AM
Bogus.

mrdean2
Sep 25, 2009, 09:13 AM
That price point is way off base in my opinion. I can't imagine that TomTom will be very successful in selling many units. As others have said, the low cost of a dedicated GPS unit doesn't justify shelling out $99 for the app + $119 for the car kit. It's a shame...this was my most anticipated purchase of the year and now I won't even be buying it.

hoits2000
Sep 25, 2009, 09:20 AM
Haha, All-in-one-device my butt.

dwd3885
Sep 25, 2009, 09:24 AM
Wow, I've never used a dedicated GPS or even used turn-by-turn GPS on the iPhone. Was looking forward to this but $119 + $99 for the app? That is ridiculous. What is your $119 getting you? A charger, a cradle and additional GPS which helps with what? The iPhone built-in GPS is good enough.

I'll stick with the very free Google Maps.

BryanLyle
Sep 25, 2009, 09:26 AM
Yeah. I'm going to pass on this. Oh well.

AthleticTrainer
Sep 25, 2009, 09:30 AM
TomTom has screwed up once again......

First they did it with the $99 pricing of their app. Honestly, they should have done like Navigon and had an introductory price of like $69 for a limited time.

Now they want people to pay $120 for the cradle? I bought the app, and the GPS built into the phone works just fine....and I bought a generic holder by Griffin for $10. I have an AV jack in my car for sound, and a car charger. Ta dah!! I doubt many will sell at that price....they will end up having to lower that price.

Mlrollin91
Sep 25, 2009, 09:30 AM
Thats insane. What is tomtom thinking. I'm going to stick to my Griffin Windowseat. Works perfectly for what I need. Also much happier with Navigon software.

Hawkeye411
Sep 25, 2009, 09:36 AM
Bahhh ... Who cares!!!! :mad:

err404
Sep 25, 2009, 09:37 AM
I really like the design. It's by far my favorite of the docks that I have seen. I MAY consider it, but only because I own 3 iPhones (2g, 3g, 3gs) that would all benefit from the single software purchase.
The question is, would it be possible for navigon to utilize the GPS hardware? I am assuming no, but I'm not familiar with the dock API.

P-Worm
Sep 25, 2009, 09:45 AM
So does it not work with iPods like they said it would?

P-Worm

Maxington
Sep 25, 2009, 09:47 AM
After considering to purchase this when I heard about it and the release of the TomTom App I can say now that I will be looking for a better (cheaper) alternative that is atleast reasonable.

$119 for just the holder and another $99 for the app isn't worth it when looking at the competition.

tivoboy
Sep 25, 2009, 09:47 AM
nope, too much. Not gonna do it. Don't think many others will either.

dpfenninger
Sep 25, 2009, 09:49 AM
Wow, Tom Tom really has no real concept of what is reasonable.

Glad I went with the Navigon app and a Kensington windshield mount. Works perfectly, and Navigon has already released two updates in the time Tom Tom has been stuck at 1.0.

Got the whole combo for under $90 too. :)

Go with Navigon, people...support the company that a) has a working, highly-rated app, b) is regularly updating it, and c) isn't screwing its customer base with ridiculous pricing.

brasscat
Sep 25, 2009, 09:51 AM
What a pile of techo-carp. Nothing like releasing a product at such an insane price point people start hating the brand.

blizaine
Sep 25, 2009, 09:54 AM
Navigon is the way to go. Works great. I'll probably also purchase the live traffic update when it comes out because it's a one time fee.

CylonGlitch
Sep 25, 2009, 10:02 AM
I have been holding off on my decision to get a Nav app until I saw more information on this. Damn that sucks. If it was $119 with the app, I'd buy it today. But $199 + $99 = no thanks.

BTW I have been researching GPS modules, most of the stand alone module boards cost about $80 each. I'm sure they are getting a discount but they are likely to be spending $40 to $50 just for the GPS module. Kinda sucks.

Then again, I might not have found the right "source" yet.

themoonisdown09
Sep 25, 2009, 10:05 AM
The price is too high. I would be tempted to just buy the app by itself, but $99 still sounds too high to me.

KindredMAC
Sep 25, 2009, 10:09 AM
EPIC FAIL....
*echoing*

Teh Don Ditty
Sep 25, 2009, 10:20 AM
Dear TomTom,

Go ******* yourselves.

Love,

TDD

bbotte
Sep 25, 2009, 10:24 AM
I'll buy it when they figure out how high they priced it and it is slashed down in price. I can see a promo in the future of buy the app and get the car kit at 50% off.

ucfgrad93
Sep 25, 2009, 10:26 AM
I think they really missed the mark with this one, I'd rather buy a dedicated unit with a bigger display. $119 bundled with the app is one thing but $199 in addition to the app... :confused:

Agreed. What in the world were they thinking? Can't imagine that they will sell to many of them at these prices (kit + app).

bosox2009
Sep 25, 2009, 10:27 AM
I bought TT. First and only GPS ever. I like it. $120 for the cradle? Too high. The magic price is $59.99, then discount it to $49.99 after Thanksgiving. The Chinese will be selling $19.99 cradles on eBay within 30 days of dissecting the TT.

RobNYC
Sep 25, 2009, 10:36 AM
Wow. $200 for a GPS program and cradle? That's pretty much almost the cost of a new iPhone.

Yeah at that point you may as well just go out and buy a stand alone GPS.

I wonder what the hell they were thinking with that.

Teh Don Ditty
Sep 25, 2009, 10:37 AM
Wow. $200 for a GPS program and cradle? That's pretty much almost the cost of a new iPhone.

Yeah at that point you may as well just go out and buy a stand alone GPS.

I wonder what the hell they were thinking with that.

They were thinking, let's try to rape these suckers!

spaceballl
Sep 25, 2009, 10:41 AM
This seems really expensive - I get that iPhone 2G owners don't have GPS, so this peripheral has a built-in GPS, but still...

Also, I'm sure many people here are in the same boat as me... where a turn-by-turn system would be great, but I have google maps and that works 90% of the time for me, even if I probably shouldn't be using it while i'm in the car... :D

jav6454
Sep 25, 2009, 10:41 AM
This is utterly absurd. $120 for the kit + $100 for the app? No freaking way.

They can go ***** themselves....

supmango
Sep 25, 2009, 10:42 AM
Navigon is the way to go. Works great. I'll probably also purchase the live traffic update when it comes out because it's a one time fee.

First spend 99 dollars on the app, the spend another 119 on the adapter? I was going to go buy a TomTom, but now I think I will take my business elsewhere (probably Navigon). Talk about poor business decisions.

macslayer118
Sep 25, 2009, 10:44 AM
Like many others, I was waiting to hear more information from Tom-Tom before buying a GPS app... Way to miss the boat on this.

Not only was Navigon earlier, cheaper, better (in some reviews), but Tom-Tom really wasnt ready to hit the market with this. They should have not been at the Apple event announcing this. They did not live up to the hype, sorry to say.

Randman
Sep 25, 2009, 10:45 AM
I'll stick with Navigon. Far superior than TomTom.

freediverdude
Sep 25, 2009, 10:48 AM
I know exactly what they were thinking. They were thinking, let's release the app first, and bunches of people will purchase the app by itself, and then release the cradle later, and people who bought the app will be ready to purchase an accessory by that time. Sorry TomTom, that strategy is not fooling us.

VenusianSky
Sep 25, 2009, 11:12 AM
Perfect time for Navigon to capitalize on Tom Tom's failure.

Navigon: Give us a car mount with GPS chip for less than $70. :D

Snide
Sep 25, 2009, 11:17 AM
I paid $10.95 for a Bell vent mount and $20.00 for a charger, and I'm golden with Navigon.
Plus the vent mount puts the iPhone in an easier to see, easier to use location that's easier
to mount and remove.

Perhaps the folks at Tom Tom will read this thread and get a clue.

imac abuser
Sep 25, 2009, 11:28 AM
TOMTOM learn from these posts. Your Fing up big time....

WHERE IS THE UPDATES WHERE IS THE STREET NAMES COME ON!!!!! i'M REALLY PISSED i BOUGHT THIS APP THAT i COULDN'T REALLY AFFORD...

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

53buick
Sep 25, 2009, 11:34 AM
BRAHHH-HAH-HAH-HAH-HAH-HAH-HAH-HAH-HAH-HAH-HAH-HAH-HAH-HAH-HAH-HAH-HAH-HAH-HAH-HAH-HAH

that's a good one. oh wait, TomTom you're serious? uhm, yeah...no.

Lancetx
Sep 25, 2009, 11:37 AM
When this ridiculously priced kit/app combo doesn't sell, wait for the inevitable "special" in a few months where you'll get both the kit and the app for $119. That's what the price should be in the first place anyway.

wayland1985
Sep 25, 2009, 11:53 AM
Honestly, I may be tempted to buy this dock... no... really...

The only caveat is, I wouldn't use it for the GPS functionality. The fact that it has a bluetooth speakerphone setup (my Jeep doesn't have such a feature) is appealing.

Also, I have yet to find a nice mount for my iphone that also charges it while providing an auxiliary output (My jeep DOES have an AUX in jack), which doesn't rely on the 12v cigarette lighter port for support.

Finally, I want a mount that is not bulkie. This one conforms nicely to the phone, and doesn't require you to plug in cables. Just dock and go (nice and clean).

The only concerning thing is compatibility with future iPhone models. Will it still work when I upgrade to the next model???

Like I said, I like what this dock brings to the table. I wouldn't necessarily use it for a navigation application, but I think that aside, it's a great looking product (and PLEASE tell me if there's a dock that comes close to meeting my "demands")

bretm
Sep 25, 2009, 11:54 AM
Wow, I've never used a dedicated GPS or even used turn-by-turn GPS on the iPhone. Was looking forward to this but $119 + $99 for the app? That is ridiculous. What is your $119 getting you? A charger, a cradle and additional GPS which helps with what? The iPhone built-in GPS is good enough.

I'll stick with the very free Google Maps.

Well, no, it also broadcasts your music, the gps, and the speaker phone over your car radio. Devices that just broadcast your music over the radio cost $80. Add a GPS to that and $100 or more is pretty decent price for the hardware.

But $100 for the software is nuts. Perhaps alone, but there should be a bundle price.

If they wanted to crank out sales...

$75 software only
$75 cradle
$125 combo

or even
$100, $100, and $150 respectively.

mrr
Sep 25, 2009, 12:00 PM
I am just going to go now to buy a stand alone TomTom GPS for less than HALF THE COST which is MUCH less than this iPhone software and holder combo.

Planet Telex
Sep 25, 2009, 12:36 PM
Honestly, I may be tempted to buy this dock... no... really...

The only caveat is, I wouldn't use it for the GPS functionality. The fact that it has a bluetooth speakerphone setup (my Jeep doesn't have such a feature) is appealing.

Also, I have yet to find a nice mount for my iphone that also charges it while providing an auxiliary output (My jeep DOES have an AUX in jack), which doesn't rely on the 12v cigarette lighter port for support.

Finally, I want a mount that is not bulkie. This one conforms nicely to the phone, and doesn't require you to plug in cables. Just dock and go (nice and clean).

The only concerning thing is compatibility with future iPhone models. Will it still work when I upgrade to the next model???

Like I said, I like what this dock brings to the table. I wouldn't necessarily use it for a navigation application, but I think that aside, it's a great looking product (and PLEASE tell me if there's a dock that comes close to meeting my "demands")

I'm thinking along the same lines. Who cares about the fact that it can be used with the GPS app, it gets bluetooth into your car for $120 which is not a bad price.

tstreete
Sep 25, 2009, 12:44 PM
Discounted pre-ordering is already being offered at various online retailers, e.g.
http://www.macmall.com/p/TomTom/product~dpno~7932755~pdp.fhiechi

http://www.shopblt.com/cgi-bin/shop/shop.cgi?action=enter&thispage=00000TOMTOMU01_BCA2728P.shtml&order_id=!ORDERID!

Mfg. Part # is 9UOB.017.00

fleshman03
Sep 25, 2009, 12:53 PM
Dear TomTom,

Go ******* yourselves.

Love,

TDD

+1

Ntombi
Sep 25, 2009, 12:56 PM
Wow. That was a dumb move. Thanks so much TomTom!

With every move that TomTom makes, I'm even happier with my decision to buy Navigon. :D

tivoboy
Sep 25, 2009, 12:59 PM
+1

Don't want to encourage profanity, but MUST SAY +1

Teh Don Ditty
Sep 25, 2009, 12:59 PM
+1

I suggest you insert your own name :p

tgildred
Sep 25, 2009, 01:09 PM
I'm thinking along the same lines. Who cares about the fact that it can be used with the GPS app, it gets bluetooth into your car for $120 which is not a bad price.

That's actually not a bad point.

m3coolpix
Sep 25, 2009, 01:09 PM
I am just going to go now to buy a stand alone TomTom GPS for less than HALF THE COST which is MUCH less than this iPhone software and holder combo.

Just going to throw this out there....you can get Navigon, plus their traffic data integration (coming in mid October) for $10 more than the current price of Tom Tom's app alone (or a total of $109.99). Add in a $20 Kensington iPod window mount (which also fits the iPhone, even with various cases), and you're still $100 less than Tom Tom software and hardware, AND....the whole solution will have TONS more capability than the sub $100 standalone GPS units....FWIW....YMMV....

Tom Tom has really started thinking of themselves as being the APPLE of GPS devices (especially when Navigon pulled out of the U.S. market). But, I think Navigon just did that because they knew what they wanted to have for the iPhone....

Tom Tom has really shot themselves in the foot with this whole iPhone offering.

bretm
Sep 25, 2009, 01:14 PM
That's actually not a bad point.

Ok, I bought a bluetooth speaker phone at target that works great for $15. Sure, it was on clearance for 50% off. Still, it wasn't $120.

Great speakerphones are less than $50.

Blue Fox
Sep 25, 2009, 01:17 PM
If they would bundle the app and car kit for $150, I would highly consider this. But over $200 for both, yeah right. That turned me off to this completely.

tgildred
Sep 25, 2009, 01:20 PM
Ok, I bought a bluetooth speaker phone at target that works great for $15. Sure, it was on clearance for 50% off. Still, it wasn't $120.

Great speakerphones are less than $50.

Yeah, I know, if you're smart you can put together a kit of your own that costs less and does more or less the same thing. I'm just saying that it's a feature that I kind of overlooked. And having the all-in-one package might actually appeal to some people. I've seen plenty of bluetooth speakers or integration kits that cost up to $100 or more that just do that one thing.

Don't get me wrong, though; I'm still not going to buy the thing, and I'm certainly not going to pay $100 for the app. But, you know, I can kinda see how somebody might find it appealing.

erikjenkins1187
Sep 25, 2009, 02:39 PM
I picked up a refurbed TomTom XL-S ONE for 79.99, twice the screen size of my iPhone and I don't have to worry about getting a call on it and trying to disconnect it from a base on the windshield while driving. Epic FAIL... Glad I went with my gut on that one.

KidStallyn
Sep 25, 2009, 03:19 PM
If they would bundle the app and car kit for $150, I would highly consider this. But over $200 for both, yeah right. That turned me off to this completely.

no way... under a $100 for both, and I'm in......anything less is stupid!

wayland1985
Sep 25, 2009, 03:27 PM
no way... under a $100 for both, and I'm in......anything less is stupid!

$150 would be reasonable if the Tom Tom application had half of the capabilities it should. I mean, the iPhone is an amazing platform, compared to most of the GPS units out there.

With an unlimited data connection, they could have nearly limitless opportunities!

However, Tom Tom used all of this time (remember, they were developing this application before Apple even allowed GPS to be used), to build the simplest software possible. No traffic updates. No Text to Speech. Limited POI's (sure there are a ton, but why can't it be constantly updated with the Data connection???).

Unless TomTom can promise constant and free progression of their application, I don't see why anybody could justify the price of their navigation software.

bretm
Sep 25, 2009, 04:08 PM
$150 would be reasonable if the Tom Tom application had half of the capabilities it should. I mean, the iPhone is an amazing platform, compared to most of the GPS units out there.

With an unlimited data connection, they could have nearly limitless opportunities!

However, Tom Tom used all of this time (remember, they were developing this application before Apple even allowed GPS to be used), to build the simplest software possible. No traffic updates. No Text to Speech. Limited POI's (sure there are a ton, but why can't it be constantly updated with the Data connection???).

Unless TomTom can promise constant and free progression of their application, I don't see why anybody could justify the price of their navigation software.

If the kit had the speaker, the attachment arm, it's own GPS, AND a bigger screen, then it would be worth it. :D It would also be it's own standalone GPS.

My point, it's great to have an all in one device, but in this case, a mounted GPS, I think it might as well be 2 separate devices. It's not really saving any space, and any stand alone GPS will have a bigger screen and louder speaker and won't interfere with your phone or music. I put my iphone in my pocket, so it's not like it's saving any room by being a phone/gps.

$50 and a $10 arm thingy and it's a buy for me. But $220? Haha.

tdstom
Sep 25, 2009, 05:44 PM
I bought my tomtom gps box from Amazon for under $100!!

What are they thinking?

tom

iceman1234
Sep 25, 2009, 06:02 PM
TomTom has screwed up once again......

First they did it with the $99 pricing of their app. Honestly, they should have done like Navigon and had an introductory price of like $69 for a limited time.

Yeah I bought Syngic for 39.99

iphones4evry1
Sep 25, 2009, 08:06 PM
Hmmm. I wonder if the people at TomTom are aware that the iPhone comes with a built-in GPS. All we need is an App for turn-by-turn - and the App Store has that. There is no way in heck that anyone is going to pay $119.00 for a "GPS car kit" when they already have a GPS in their phone, and can buy a generic holder/charger for $19.99 (or less in some cases).

Jeff321
Sep 25, 2009, 08:13 PM
Hahaha TomTom is crazy. Who would pay that much for an inferior app? (Based on Navigon app store ratings.)

WChurchill
Sep 25, 2009, 08:24 PM
Yes...you read correctly...the price they are charging for what you get on this item is way off base. I have a kensington window mount and a griffin power jolt which are working just fine. I live in Alberta Canada and just did a weeks traveling in various and remote areas. Absolutely no problem with the coverage, signal, or operation of the software.

Why would I pay another huge amount of CAD to get a negligible benefit?

Also....I had Navigon along with me as well and kept using both products for comparison....Sorry to say that Navigon is now a primary navigation aid. Better maps (screen appearance), better interface, easier program navigation. Don't get me wrong...I did use Tom Tom and it is a capable program.

Not to lose track of the purpose of this post....the hardware add on to Tom Tom is way out line with any benefit that you might get. The program works just fine with my much cheaper configuration.

Cheers....:)

Superdrive
Sep 25, 2009, 11:18 PM
They can go ahead and keep their solution. $99 for the app is already steep, plus $120 for the receiver sans app is over the top outrageous. Not interested.

Vandam500
Sep 26, 2009, 12:39 AM
Thats insane. What is tomtom thinking. I'm going to stick to my Griffin Windowseat. Works perfectly for what I need. Also much happier with Navigon software.

That's the setup I am using as well and its perfect!

kiljoy616
Sep 26, 2009, 01:05 AM
Will it work with any other software, or will this unit look for tomtom software?

Because at that price forget it.

kiljoy616
Sep 26, 2009, 01:27 AM
After thinking about it, I don't think the demographic they are going after with this product is people like us. I am thinking they may be going after an older demographics which was a clean look and price, is not that big deal.

Kind of what you see with Bose system, most people I have met who own them are in their 40+

I figure if you have the money and let say you also have a radio that would accept bluetooth stereo and the iphone could interface with it I can see how this product would be seductive.

http://cnettv.cnet.com/parrot-rk8200-bluetooth-car-stereo/9742-1_53-31320.html

3GEE
Sep 26, 2009, 08:51 AM
After thinking about it, I don't think the demographic they are going after with this product is people like us. I am thinking they may be going after an older demographics which was a clean look and price, is not that big deal.

Kind of what you see with Bose system, most people I have met who own them are in their 40+

I figure if you have the money and let say you also have a radio that would accept bluetooth stereo and the iphone could interface with it I can see how this product would be seductive.

http://cnettv.cnet.com/parrot-rk8200-bluetooth-car-stereo/9742-1_53-31320.html

You might be right, I dunno. I am over 40 but I can't say if that's a factor. I have the TomTom app and it works great for me. I'm looking forward to getting the mount too, I love the looks of it and the bluetooth compatibility is the icing on the cake. Having everything seamlessly linked, clean interface and at my fingertips is exactly what I'm after.

$119 just doesn't seem THAT out of line to me. I'll be getting it so I'll be more than happy to give a review if folks want to wait for one. If not, that's ok too.

avaloncourt
Sep 26, 2009, 08:21 PM
Well, no, it also broadcasts your music, the gps, and the speaker phone over your car radio. Devices that just broadcast your music over the radio cost $80. Add a GPS to that and $100 or more is pretty decent price for the hardware.

You're seriously misinformed. You need to go check out the features again. It doesn't not broadcast anything. There is no built-in FM transmitter. It connects to a car through an audio cable on the edge of the cradle. That's it. It certainly doesn't broadcast the "speaker-phone" over the vehicle radio. It has a speaker built into it (via a bluetooth connection) and that's how it calls are routed.

The features are well known and are well documented in the FCC filing.

fpnc
Sep 27, 2009, 03:21 PM
Considering what this car kit/mount includes, the $120 price is only a little bit high. Furthermore, anyone who had any sense at all and who had been watching the discussions concerning the TomTom car kit already knew a month ago that the car kit was going to cost over $100 (by itself, without the app). Here is what you get with the hardware alone:

1.) A more accurate and responsive GPS receiver (TomTom says it will be better than what is in the iPhone -- we'll have to wait and see on this, but that is one "feature" that will be unique on the iPhone -- at least for the time being).

2.) An improved speaker and microphone to support hands-free calling (once again, TomTom says that it will work better than the built-n speaker/mic on the iPhone -- I can pretty much believe this since it can be hard to hear the iPhone's speaker while driving). There is also a conveniently located toggle-switch to help control the volume.

3.) In-car iPhone charger.

4.) Aux audio output port.

5.) In-car window mount (looks interesting -- we'll have to see if it works better than some of the cheaper, simple window mounts).

Let's assign some prices to each hardware component (as it they were separate items, cost to consumer, not just the manufacturing cost):

GPS receiver - $20 (hard to estimate as they are offering just the bare chip, not a complete GPS unit)

Hands-free speaker and microphone (Bluetooth?) - $40

Window mount and in-car charger - $30

Convenience factors, volume control, audio out port, etc. - $10

Total: $100

As far as I can see, the real "problem" with this device as a bundle is that the TomTom iPhone app is way too expensive. If the TomTom app was say $40 and if it offered a few more features than it did today then the car kit and app bundle would be fairly decent (or at least somewhat competitive with what you can find in a dedicated GPS).

The reason, IMO, that the app is priced so high is that TomTom doesn't want to cannibalize the sales of their dedicated GPS units. The same is probably true of Navigon (priced at $90) since Navigon also makes dedicated GPS units (for Europe, they've quit the U.S. GPS hardware market). It's probably no coincidence that the two highest-priced GPS apps are by the two companies that also make and sell dedicated GPS devices.

Frankly, if they improved the TomTom app from what it is today then I think the car kit and app bundle would be worth about $150 versus today's price of $120 + $100 = $220. So, yes, the bundle is about $70 overpriced and most of that is because of the high price of the app.

As a price-point comparison to the TomTom app I offer these two alternatives:

CoPilot Live - $35 (Does just about everything that the higher-priced apps do and comes from a well-established company in the mobile GPS marketplace).

MotionX Drive - $2.99 (Includes one month of prepaid turn-by-turn, realtime GPS navigation, thereafter $2.99 per month or $25 per year. This app has gotten rave reviews since it debut about one week ago, only problem is that you need an always available wireless network connection -- 3G highly recommended -- and the turn-by-turn features are by subscription only. But $25 per year isn't too bad if you have reliable wireless network coverage. AT&T's similar turn-by-turn GPS service is $10 per month or $100 per year.).

brewno
Sep 27, 2009, 07:20 PM
As I friend of mine said, and I quote, "if I paid 99$ for the iPhone, the price for this holder is completely ridiculous."

Waiting for the Navigon one, thank you very much.

OneMike
Sep 27, 2009, 08:56 PM
As I friend of mine said, and I quote, "if I paid 99$ for the iPhone, the price for this holder is completely ridiculous."

Waiting for the Navigon one, thank you very much.

Well aI paid $299 for my 32GB 3GS and the price of the holder is still ridiculous.

iphones4evry1
Sep 27, 2009, 10:50 PM
This is REALLY BAD public relations for TomTom. Everyone who owns and iPhone and is sees this $119 "car kit" in a retail store and has never owned a TomTom product now has a subliminal reason to dislike TomTom.

fpnc
Sep 28, 2009, 12:16 AM
As I friend of mine said, and I quote, "if I paid 99$ for the iPhone, the price for this holder is completely ridiculous."...

Well aI paid $299 for my 32GB 3GS and the price of the holder is still ridiculous.
Well, you are also paying several hundred dollars per year to your carrier (e.g. AT&T) and part of that goes to cover the real cost of the iPhone. I guess you could try to work out a deal with TomTom where you pay them $20 now and then $50 at the end of each year for the next two years. ;) What TomTom needs to do is bundle the app with the car kit for something just north of $150. That way it would be a reasonable option for someone who has an iPhone but doesn't want to buy a standalone GPS unit.

prominence
Sep 28, 2009, 10:46 AM
The issue for me is that the reason I bought a GPS solution was to have the "all-in-one" solution to avoid having to leave something pricey in the car.

I would CERTAINLY not pay $120 for a mount when the iPhone GPS is pretty sufficient on it's own, and I would CERTAINLY NOT leave a $120 mount in my car to be stolen! Thieves take anything and everything... when my car was broken into last year they stole my GPS charger w/ built in FM receiver. That cost $100 from Garmin, so I decided not to replace it!

Forget this mount - honestly, if it was $40-50, AND worked with Navigon, I would probably get it because the iPhone GPS does sometimes need a little help. But at this price, no way!