PDA

View Full Version : EyeTV App Debuts in App Store

MacRumors
Sep 29, 2009, 02:57 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/09/29/eyetv-app-debuts-in-app-store/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2009/09/29/153840-eyetv-1.jpg http://images.macrumors.com/article/2009/09/29/153840-eyetv-2.jpg

Elgato Systems, the maker of TV software and tuners for the Mac, has announced (http://www.elgato.com/elgato/na/mainmenu/products/software/EyeTV-app.en.html) that its EyeTV app is now available in the App Store. The app is made to work in conjunction with a Mac running the EyeTV software and its features are as follows:

- Watch live TV and change channels anywhere (Wi-Fi connection required)
- Watch your EyeTV recordings
- Browse the comprehensive Program Guide
- Start recordings back home on your Mac immediately or schedule them for later.
- View and edit your recording schedules

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2009/09/29/153840-eyetv-3.jpg http://images.macrumors.com/article/2009/09/29/153840-eyetv-4.jpg

The companion Mac used with the app must be running the EyeTV software, version 3.2 - which was just released today - or higher and it must have a compatible TV tuner connected to it. In order to view streaming live TV on an iPhone with the EyeTV app, the companion Mac must have an Intel Core 2 Duo processor or better.

The EyeTV app costs $4.99 and can be found in the App Store here (http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=329886711&mt=8) (link opens iTunes).

Article Link: EyeTV App Debuts in App Store (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/09/29/eyetv-app-debuts-in-app-store/)

DMann
Sep 29, 2009, 03:03 PM
This is very cool, and will be a great alternative to SlingPlayer.

Jowl
Sep 29, 2009, 03:13 PM
I like it so far - looks very slick and Live TV streaming is just great via home network.

the 'back to my EyeTV' service wouldn't work behind my router - haven't had time to manually set port forwarding up yet so I can't test it out while away from home.

Hope the App gets remote controll for EyeTV

Eddyisgreat
Sep 29, 2009, 03:16 PM
I was surprised that Elgato is charging for this because I thought it would be a simple remote changing App, but live tv on my phone? Amazing. I'm getting it right now.

ss957916
Sep 29, 2009, 03:20 PM
but live tv on my phone? Amazing. I'm getting it right now.

But that's only over your home wifi network, no?

So does this mean I can be at work and use my iPhone to schedule to record a programme that my sleeping mac will then wake-up and record?

themoonisdown09
Sep 29, 2009, 03:23 PM
But that's only over your home wifi network, no?

You don't have to be connected to your home network. You just have to be connected to a Wi-Fi network (not 3G) to watch live TV.

dbwie
Sep 29, 2009, 03:24 PM
If I'm on a wifi network outside of my house, does my Mac need to be turned on and not in sleep mode at home in order for this to work? Can the Elgato device be turned on while the computer is off? (I don't have one of these, but have been considering getting one).

Tilpots
Sep 29, 2009, 03:25 PM
Wonder if the home TV must be watching what the iPhone is seeing, or if dual tuners could come into play???

Sounds like a pretty cool app...

electroshock
Sep 29, 2009, 03:27 PM
If I'm on a wifi network outside of my house, does my Mac need to be turned on and not in sleep mode at home in order for this to work? Can the Elgato device be turned on while the computer is off? (I don't have one of these, but have been considering getting one).

I'm not sure of details about how this stuff works (though I do have the Elgato USB device) yet. But doubt this works if the Mac is off because the USB device requires a running OS for it to read data off the TV connection and process it.

I can say for sure the Elgato stuff is solid on my MBP and works well. Looking forward to seeing it serving as a proxy for my iPhone.

ss957916
Sep 29, 2009, 03:42 PM
Not working for me - I'm getting "Router incompatible" even though Elgato says the Apple Airport Express is fine.

"Ensure NAT-PMP and UPnP are activated." Didn't realise I'd need an IT degree...

iBungie
Sep 29, 2009, 04:11 PM
I'm having the same problem

Not working for me - I'm getting "Router incompatible" even though Elgato says the Apple Airport Express is fine.

hawaiipoolman
Sep 29, 2009, 04:42 PM
best thing is connect360 now works alongside eyetv sharing

hawaiipoolman
Sep 29, 2009, 04:43 PM
does eyetv need to be running on my mac for this to work, or can i remotely start it using the app?

sk8mash
Sep 29, 2009, 04:46 PM
does eyetv need to be running on my mac for this to work, or can i remotely start it using the app?

The app must be open, but you don't have to have a channel open.

Habakuk
Sep 29, 2009, 04:47 PM
It does not work here. EyeTV 3.2 running on my MBP, iPhone access enabled in settings, WiFi okay, but I am only getting this message ("cannot find EyeTV in network") like in the screenshot. Rebooted iPhone twice: NADA.

Edit: Problem solved. Look here (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=8568662&postcount=28).

jointsmoking
Sep 29, 2009, 04:48 PM
groovy. I've been waiting for ths. Will buy.

hawaiipoolman
Sep 29, 2009, 04:51 PM
--deleted--

boston04and07
Sep 29, 2009, 04:52 PM
What's the program guide like? I've missed having a program guide on my iPhone since What's On changed their interface.

ravenvii
Sep 29, 2009, 04:56 PM
Epic win!

Will grab this for sure!

Tomar
Sep 29, 2009, 04:59 PM
How do people like this app/hardware versus the slingbox?

nagromme
Sep 29, 2009, 05:02 PM
I've never owned a slingbox, and remote viewing is a cool feature I'll use only occasionally, but I've been VERY happy with my EyeTV Hybrid and EyeTV 2 and 3 software. I'll be buying this app for sure--I'm just waiting to let the early adopters be the guinea pigs for Eye TV 3.2 :)

laxlaxlax
Sep 29, 2009, 05:02 PM
Ummm little help... can't get past the "passcode" screen.

sk8mash
Sep 29, 2009, 05:03 PM
It does not work here. EyeTV 3.2 running on my MBP, iPhone access enabled in settings, WiFi okay, but I am only getting this message ("cannot find EyeTV in network") like in the screenshot. Rebooted iPhone twice: NADA.

Restart your mac.

orson3g
Sep 29, 2009, 05:15 PM
Am I missing something or is this pretty useless for DirecTV customers? Don't get me wrong, I am sure this app is awesome. But I don't see how I would change channels via my iPhone since everything is through a box. Is there a workaround? I'd like the ability to use this, but without channel swapping abilities I'm afraid it's useless for satellite and cable box customers.

jaw04005
Sep 29, 2009, 05:23 PM
Works great here too. I'm currently streaming across AT&T's 3G network (eat that, AT&T).

I love El Gato. :)

utazdevl
Sep 29, 2009, 05:26 PM

"Ensure NAT-PMP and UPnP are activated." Didn't realise I'd need an IT degree...

Or did I just spend $4.99 for an app I cannot use?

Cannot believe that this will not work because I have an Airport Extreme Wireless base.

boston04and07
Sep 29, 2009, 05:35 PM
Am I missing something or is this pretty useless for DirecTV customers? Don't get me wrong, I am sure this app is awesome. But I don't see how I would change channels via my iPhone since everything is through a box. Is there a workaround? I'd like the ability to use this, but without channel swapping abilities I'm afraid it's useless for satellite and cable box customers.

Well, yes, I guess it would have to be since the eyetv hardware (which is required for this app btw) can only hook up a coaxial cable to a mac, and not a cable box to a mac. But they have their own interface for channel guides and DVR-ing and whatnot, so I don't really miss it myself. The only thing I really would miss might be channels on demand (we have comcast, not sure what directv calls them!) but I just use hulu for that type of content.

But yeah, just so you know (in case you didn't!) this isn't an app that can go with any setup or cable box..from what i can tell, it's just for use with their hardware, which doesn't support cable boxes. :o

Habakuk
Sep 29, 2009, 05:44 PM
Restart your mac.

Thx for the hint, that did the trick. App works fine now. Great app btw.

At MBP restart the EyeTV 3.2 asked for WiFi permission. The update to 3.2 (btw failed the first time) did not require a restart of the machine.

boston04and07
Sep 29, 2009, 05:44 PM
Works great here too. I'm currently streaming across AT&T's 3G network (eat that, AT&T).

I love El Gato. :)

Sweet! Does 3g unrestrictor work for this too??

Jowl
Sep 29, 2009, 06:04 PM
Home network worked 'out of the box'

Seems I now have the 'back to my EyeTV' setup correctly too with a bit of port-forwarding on my router. Will test fully tomorrow.

Combined with Sleepover this is awesome. I can wake over LAN/Internet and then use EyeTV App to do as I will. Brilliant:D

jaw04005
Sep 29, 2009, 07:07 PM
Sweet! Does 3g unrestrictor work for this too??

Don't know what that is (going to assume it's a jailbroken app), but the EyeTV app works officially in both 3G and Wi-fi environments.

And for all the newbies that can't turn on NAT-PMP, a screen shot is attached. It's exactly the same for AirPort Express too. If you don't have an Apple router, turn on UPNP in your router's settings (it's probably turned on by default). This is the same technology that requires "Back to My Mac" to work.

utazdevl
Sep 29, 2009, 07:29 PM
Anyone had any luck getting this to work with an Airport Extreme Base

hawaiipoolman
Sep 29, 2009, 07:39 PM
"prepare all new recordings for iphone access" where are these new files located?

jaw04005
Sep 29, 2009, 07:44 PM
Anyone had any luck getting this to work with an Airport Extreme Base

Yes. Works fine.

utazdevl
Sep 29, 2009, 07:49 PM
Yes. Works fine.

I keep getting the "Router Incompatible" message. Any tips?

hawaiipoolman
Sep 29, 2009, 08:00 PM
I keep getting the "Router Incompatible" message. Any tips?

are you running connect360, this is a known issue.

utazdevl
Sep 29, 2009, 08:15 PM
not running connect360, but just got it to work.

Did a full shutdown and restart and now seems to be working. I feel quite foolish for not having tried that before posting.

parkds
Sep 29, 2009, 08:34 PM

The whole encoded channel DirectTV/cable box issue is actually pretty easy to solve, you just need to buy an extra item. The ZephIR software/hardware will let you easily change any set top box and is officially endorsed by Elgato. I actually use the EyeTV software with the Hauppauge HD capture box and ZephIR to control the cable box.

interinmente
Sep 29, 2009, 09:15 PM
To watch Tv on the iPhone the Mac must be turned on?
So if I go at the office or somewhere else, to watch Tv on my iPhone my MAC at home must be turned on? I don`t think this is a good think! And if I am at home why I have to watch on the small iPhone screen (maybe when going to the toilet, but i cannot think some other home using) instead of a Tv or on my Mac?
I am using Slingplayer right now and the Mac and also the TV set are not required to be on!

vadhudhy
Sep 29, 2009, 09:24 PM
So if I go at the office or somewhere else, to watch Tv on my iPhone my MAC at home must be turned on? I don`t think this is a good think! And if I am at home why I have to watch on the small iPhone screen (maybe when going to the toilet, but i cannot think some other home using) instead of a Tv or on my Mac?
I am using Slingplayer right now and the Mac and also the TV set are not required to be on!

I have the same idea with you. Great! Thanks for sharing. :cool:
Glad to hear you're using this: I plan to keep it much more aggressively up-to-date than has been the case in the past, but don't hesitate to let me know if you find errors or need clarifications.

Eddyisgreat
Sep 29, 2009, 09:43 PM

There are a myriad of reasons. For instance, I live in a studio, and my girlfriend annoys me with her TV watchin' and her "favorite" shows seem to line up one after another. The problem is, I don't have nor want a TV in my space and use my machine. Solution? This. She watches her shows with headphones, I get work done.

cecoleman
Sep 29, 2009, 09:54 PM
I have a Linksys Wireless N router and I can't get it to work on mine. Anyone have clue what to do with a Linksys?

boston04and07
Sep 29, 2009, 10:00 PM
Don't know what that is (going to assume it's a jailbroken app), but the EyeTV app works officially in both 3G and Wi-fi environments.

Wait, you mean to say that they allowed an app that streams video content over 3g into the app store?! So that I could stream television stations to my iPhone when I'm not even connected to wifi? Seriously?!? I mean, wasn't that the whole problem with Sling? If that's the case then I'm really interested.

I myself have downloaded the app and have gotten video streaming to work on my home wifi network, but am having troubles "verifying my My Eyetv account" on my iPhone. And right now I'm wayyyy too tired to really deal with it. :P Anyone else having that issue??

Edit: And yes I know that they already have 3g video streaming (i.e., youtube) on the iPhone, but what I meant was...other similar apps have had issues in the past, so I'm just surprised that this got through so easily. Sorry, once again, I am *very* tired right now

ViViDboarder
Sep 29, 2009, 10:19 PM
I almost bought this and then realized I need a Core2Duo... I only have the CoreDuo. Oh well.

Slingbox it is!!!

Also, why would they enable you to watch Live TV from the iPhone but not from another computer? Seems dumb...

Eddyisgreat
Sep 29, 2009, 10:41 PM
Wow.

Finally got it working and it looks great. Streaming HD (dunno if its 720 or 1080) over my AE network with only a small drop. Semlessly handles the resolutions switches (those who watch OTA HD know what I mean). Elgato raised the bar with this one. CPU usage is a little high with eyetv running as a BG process but if you have something like an Apple TV and run this nobody would know the difference.

cazlar
Sep 29, 2009, 10:51 PM
I only have the CoreDuo. Oh well.

I haven't tried so can't verify, but read a comment somewhere earlier that said that SD streamed fine on a Core Duo, just not HD.

interinmente
Sep 29, 2009, 11:19 PM
I have the same idea with you. Great! Thanks for sharing. :cool:
Glad to hear you're using this: I plan to keep it much more aggressively up-to-date than has been the case in the past, but don't hesitate to let me know if you find errors or need clarifications.
Hi,
what kind of errors and clarifications? Also these are about the Slingplayer or the EyeTV? Are you French? I am Italian!

fpnc
Sep 30, 2009, 12:29 AM
It's already possible (for free) to stream video content from the EyeTV over WiFi to the iPhone/iPod touch. All you needed to do is connect to the EyeTV server running on your Mac using Safari on the iPhone/iPod touch. However, you can't control the application remotely and you can't view live TV (only video that you had prerecorded) so the advantage to this new iPhone app is that it enables live TV viewing and control of the EyeTV application running on your Mac.

Now, if it really works over 3G without jailbreaking your iPhone then that would be something new.

jaykk
Sep 30, 2009, 12:55 AM
Just bought the app, within seconds, I could watch the tv on my iPhone. Using airport extreme, everything works out of the box, hassle free. Should have been perfect if iPhone Eyetv app can connect directly to HDHomeRun, no need to have the computer on all the time.

Edit: Required a reboot..

fpnc
Sep 30, 2009, 03:30 AM
Okay, I just purchased the EyeTV app and it does allow you to stream pre-recorded video over the 3G connection. However, if you attempt to view live TV it says that requires a WiFi connection.

However, you can now record your own TV shows (or whatever) with the EyeTV hardware and view those same recordings with your iPhone over the 3G cellular network. On my first trial the image quality over 3G looks pretty bad, but it does play.

The quality over my local WiFi looks very good most of the time, but I did see some pauses and some random artifacts now and then. Also, the audio quality over WiFi seems a bit lacking, voices are okay but music sounds like you're under water (with significant and quite bad vibrato).

franzmueller
Sep 30, 2009, 03:46 AM
ok, so I read it here , bought the app , downloaded the update , rebooted and it worked all fine ( live Tv streaming ) went out of the house ( took my iphone with me ) came back and it did not work anymore , have been working on it for the last 1/2 hour and still does not work ..... it keeps saying " tv channels not found "

ARGH!!!!! :=(.... like Air-mouse .... sometimes it worked , most of the times not ( specially when I really need it ) so I end up erasing the app , but I think in this case I will ask for refund if I cannot figure it out who to bring this app to work again :mad:

Saludos

Franz

fpnc
Sep 30, 2009, 04:17 AM
Here are some more result using the EyeTV iPhone app. Yes, you can stream recorded videos over the iPhone's 3G connection.

I did some more conversions using the default "cellular" compression setting and the playback was actually smooth and usable (but the resolution is only 176x144 at something like 80kbps). However, anything with a lot of motion or changing detail or back-to-back scene changes will blur or become very blocky. Text is also mostly unreadable (in the video) so you can't see subtitles or news crawls. The audio, however, sounds surprisingly good.

I also tried streaming a video at 320x240 (over 3G) but that resulted in pauses and rebuffering about every 4 seconds (i.e. it wasn't watchable, although between the pauses the quality looked pretty good on the iPhone). However, I didn't speed much time trying to optimize the compression settings at this larger size so I don't know what might be possible over a good connection.

Habakuk
Sep 30, 2009, 04:22 AM
She watches her shows with headphones, I get work done.

Maybe it hasn't been mentioned before: TV sound is clear and stereophonic (if the TV show is broadcasted in stereo of course) on my iPhone 3G, tested with very good Sennheiser earbuds. Image quality very good via WiFi (live TV) and via 3G (recorded files) as well. Striking!

I connected the iPhone with Apple AV cable (composite) to my TV set: Sound will be streamed to the TV set, video not (live tv and recorded files).

Had some hickups with the update to Mac/EyeTV version 3.2 on my MacBook Pro. With 3.1.x (the most recent version before) I launched the menue command "look for updates", it found 3.2 and did a download and obviously an automatic update with EyeTV restart (sort of).

Then the app simply refused to launch with message "the file seems to be broken or incomplete" and I had to bring back the old EyeTV version with Time Machine for being able to accomplish that "look for updates"-thingy again! At the next try the update worked but I had to do a MBP restart to get the EyeTV iPhone connection working (see my previous postings in this thread).

The new iPhone app works fine so far in my WiFi network but I have 3G connection problems *) sometimes. Occasionally it crashes to homescreen when I hit some command in the "video window"/player sub-app (full screen, pause...). Otherwise all player controls like time shift or "go back 30 s" are doing fine on my iPhone. Good "EyeTV feeling" as usual. (BTW I've played around a while with other solutions and dare to say that Elgato EyeTV -- here hybrid and 610 -- is the most comfortable way to watch TV in our days by far.)

I tried to record a TV show remotely. Works fine. It would be nice to have a record button in the "video window" (player app) so it's only possible via "Guide" (called "EPG" in German-language version). I needs a time (about half of the runtime) to convert the (stopped) record to iPhone format but then it's "ready to play" the recorded file stream out of the "Recordings" folder. Scheduling via "Guide" works nicely as well.

Edit:

*) Can be solved sometimes by switching off and on "EyeTV preferences – iPhone – Use My EyeTV". Get a screenshot here at German-language Elgato support (http://support.elgato.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=3645&languageid=4&group=germandefault).

Because it's not switched on by default: Added a screenshot where to activate UPnP at Netgear routers (highlighted the menue items). Then EyeTV for iPhones should work (everything except live TV) via 3G after creating an account at "My EyeTV service". Works pretty well here with the six or seven years old device.

grapefruitmoon
Sep 30, 2009, 06:03 AM
Just downloaded this and it connected straight away, no problems. However, does it only work with the built in tuner? I can't seem to find a way to view programs on the composite video input connection, where my Sky box is connected.

arkitect
Sep 30, 2009, 06:08 AM
Just downloaded this and it connected straight away, no problems. However, does it only work with the built in tuner? I can't seem to find a way to view programs on the composite video input connection, where my Sky box is connected.

Hummm. If that is true then that's a major bummer. If I can't access any of the Sky channels then what's the point? :o

I was just about to download when I read your post.

So anyone else know if it only works via the Tuner connection?

boston04and07
Sep 30, 2009, 09:47 AM
Alright, so after rereading all the posts in this thread, I just wanna clear one thing up that I'm still confused about - streaming recorded shows works over both wifi and 3g, bu streaming live tv only (officially) happens over wifi, right? And it will work on any wifi network, not just the one that your eyetv device is on? Finally, has anyone tried streaming live tv over 3g by using
a jailbroken phone?

I've downloaded the app and would try doing all those things myself, but I can't get it to connect, as I have not validated my "my eyetv" account. How does one validate said account, anyways?? I've gotten no emails and can't seem to find that as an option.

justit
Sep 30, 2009, 09:49 AM

Can't stream over 3G "Wi-Fi Required Live TV playback requires a Wi_Fi network connection."

I'm able to connect and scheduling and other functions work over 3G.

grapefruitmoon
Sep 30, 2009, 09:51 AM
Hummm. If that is true then that's a major bummer. If I can't access any of the Sky channels then what's the point? :o

I was just about to download when I read your post.

So anyone else know if it only works via the Tuner connection?

OK I just had a wee play around with it there. I've managed to get the composite connection streaming Sky channels to my iPhone, but it's not ideal. I had to go to live TV and stream from the digital channel...when that was playing, I changed the EyeTV on the Mac to view from composite...the stream then changed to what was coming through on there. Not sure if I'm missing something simple, but it does work! Obviously not much good if you want to watch TV when you do not have access to your Mac mind you...

niccodeamus
Sep 30, 2009, 10:39 AM
Here is how I got over may problems getting EyeTV working on the iPhone. I suppose the important part of the system is the modem/router, a Netgear DG834PN. Now this device is listed as not compatible with MobileMe and I have never managed to get " Back To My Mac " to work. Today I tried a bit harder.
You have to log into the router, turn on UPnP, then add some "services". You need to add port UDP 4500 for BTMM, TCP 2170 for eyetv. In firewall rules you need to add 3 services, the BTMM service you added, the EyeTV service and the HTTPS service (port 443). for all these services you need to add the IP address of your machine (can be found in system preferences network settings. it might be best to manually fix this in the network settings to stop the router reassigning in on a restart). finally (i think) you need to click on the WAN setup and set your machine as a DMZ server, enter the IP address of your machine. "Apply" all these changes as you make them
reboot the router, either unplug it or reboot from the diagnostics panel. (this part is important)

these processes turned the red "incompatible router" lights off for both BTMM and Use My EyeTV. :)

This process might not be as clear as it might be, and I am no expert, so I have no idea what all this stuff means, I tried various combinations, the DMZ being the last addition, and all seems to be working.

I dont run a software firewall, but if you do then you will need to punch some holes through that as well. You could test the router settings while the "soft" firewall is turned off.

Stuff often repeated elsewhere, you also need a core2duo processor, EyeTV 3.2, EyeConnect 1.3.6 etc etc and the iPhone app and or a MobileMe account.

hope this helps someone....
cheers

edit: further info:
the whole thing has decided not to work anymore, and I am struggling to make it work again. it stopped without any changes being made. BTMM still shows a green light. My EyeTv now shows red again. Crap!

discstickers
Sep 30, 2009, 11:02 AM
Does this work with HDHomeRun?

arkitect
Sep 30, 2009, 11:13 AM
Rats.
No luck with my EyeTV 250 Plus… stuck at No Channels.

Recorded TV works fine and I can view that with no problem.

But "Live" TV is a no-go.
At least it was only £3… still… would have been nice to actually work. :)

EDIT:

Well it only works for FreeView it seems.
I hooked up an old EyeTV Terratec I had lying about and it works flawlessly.
Great quality.

When I hook up the EyeTV 250 Plus I get the No Channels message… and can only access recorded content. :(

A great pity this only works via the Tuner and not Composite or S-Video. Hopefully Elgato would address that?

If anyone else has managed to get their satellite box, Sky, working via Composite or S-Video please do tell. :D

EDIT 2:
Wow. Talk about a mystery.

Suddenly it all works. Great stuff…

discstickers
Sep 30, 2009, 11:42 AM
Does this work with HDHomeRun?

Quoting myself... but it does work great!

RedTomato
Sep 30, 2009, 11:50 AM
Does this display subtitles?

Yes it's a small screen, but subtitles would benefit many people not just deaf people.

Plutonius
Sep 30, 2009, 12:09 PM
Most people have dynamic IP addresses so how does EyeTV handle it when your IP address changes when you are watching it over the internet (not a local network).

fpnc
Sep 30, 2009, 12:21 PM
Most people have dynamic IP addresses so how does EyeTV handle it when your IP address changes when you are watching it over the internet (not a local network).
EyeTV has a free service called My EyeTV which resolves the IP. You just need to register with your email address and a password, then within the EyeTV app on the iPhone you enter same and you can connect from anywhere. However, for all this to work you need the EyeTV application running on your Mac.

Similarly, there was a question about accessing your video from a network outside of your home (or whatever), yes, that works as long as you have registered via the My EyeTV service.

soLoredd
Sep 30, 2009, 12:24 PM
Hopefully this sets a precedent and other companies start following El Gato's lead here (and Sling for that matter). I don't have EyeTV but it would be great if DirecTV or U-Verse could do this. U-Verse seems so ripe for this kind of stuff since it's network-based anyway.

fpnc
Sep 30, 2009, 12:31 PM
I realized last night after one of my earlier posts that the real limitation when viewing recorded video on 3G is that the upload speed on my wired internet connection at home is very slow, I think only about 350Kbps, versus 10Mbps on download. Thus, the upload speed is the real problem, not some issue with 3G or EyeTV.

Plutonius
Sep 30, 2009, 12:50 PM
EyeTV has a free service called My EyeTV which resolves the IP. You just need to register with your email address and a password, then within the EyeTV app on the iPhone you enter same and you can connect from anywhere. However, for all this to work you need the EyeTV application running on your Mac.

Similarly, there was a question about accessing your video from a network outside of your home (or whatever), yes, that works as long as you have registered via the My EyeTV service.

Very nice. It looks like anyone on a dynamic IP can use the EyeTV app if they have a compatible router.

ViViDboarder
Sep 30, 2009, 01:03 PM
A couple questions to those of you with the app...

Did you have to install anything on your computer to run the program? Or is it all handled from EyeTV?

Also, when you watch Live TV does it just connect to the stream using the regular video player?

What ports do you have to open to get the Live Viewing to work?

I ask these because I don't care about watching so much on my phone but would rather watch on a computer. I think EyeTV may just be opening a stream on some port that could possibly be grabbed if I point VLC to the same ports.

So anyone have them for me or want to try it? :D

GimmeSlack12
Sep 30, 2009, 01:40 PM
Very nice. It looks like anyone on a dynamic IP can use the EyeTV app if they have a compatible router.

Rookies. DynDNS.com FTW.

ViViDboarder
Sep 30, 2009, 01:42 PM
Rookies. DynDNS.com FTW.

I've been using that for years. :D But they have a DNS service with EyeTV as well.

fpnc
Sep 30, 2009, 02:26 PM
I've done some more tests at streaming over 3G to my iPhone. It looks like you can get pretty good quality over 3G if you compress a custom version of the recording using QuickTime (or some other tool external to EyeTV). Unfortunately, EyeTV does not offer any presets that will produce decent quality over 3G. Their standard 320x240 iPhone/iPod setting seems to encode files that are just over 1Mbps and that is too high for my upstream internet connection (the playback pauses about every 4 seconds when streaming over 3G).

However, if you start with a high-quality recording from EyeTV and then encode that file manually (I've used both the QuickTime Pro Player and MPEG Streamclip) then you can output an H.264 file at 320x240, 15fps, 300Kbps, 16KHz mono audio (24Kbps) and the image looks quite good over 3G. The playback is smooth (although at 15fps) and I've noticed no hiccups/pauses during playback to my iPhone.

Of course, you have to do this encoding manually, as there appears to be no preset or automatic method to encode at this quality from within EyeTV. The only cellular preset in EyeTV is 176x144 3GP at about 80Kbps and that looks pretty bad (it's watchable, but just barely).

However, if you have a fast upload on your internet service (greater than 1Mbps) then EyeTV's 320x240 preset should work fairly well (assuming that you've also got good 3G speeds).

clayj
Sep 30, 2009, 02:41 PM
Great app, especially since I have an EyeTV.

But while it works fine on my 64 GB iPod Touch, the performance of the app on my iPhone 3G is not good. The video takes a very long time to load (compared to the iPod Touch) and it only plays for a few seconds before it pauses to load more content (the Touch runs continuously). Not sure if this has to do with my Touch having a lot more free space available than the iPhone, or if the improved CPU in the Touch makes a difference.

jamesarm97
Sep 30, 2009, 02:46 PM
Worked great at home. At work I can connect and schedule and watch live tv, but recorded shows all return a "this video is not compatible" when trying to play, even after they were exported to the "best" and "iphone" format.

nazuk
Sep 30, 2009, 03:14 PM
For those of you still having router problems, forward Port 2170 to the relevant mac on your network.

Mine had issues with router not found, and forwarding the above port worked straight away.

The above information is sourced from the support section on Elgato's website, however, I don't have the link handy.

/good luck!

fpnc
Sep 30, 2009, 03:22 PM
Worked great at home. At work I can connect and schedule and watch live tv, but recorded shows all return a "this video is not compatible" when trying to play, even after they were exported to the "best" and "iphone" format.
For playback over 3G you need to encode using the EyeTV cellular or the 480x360 iPhone preset (you can select between iPhone 480x360, or iPhone + cellular or just cellular under EyeTV's Preferences > iPhone > More Options...). You also need to setup the My EyeTV account if you haven't already done so. Either that, or try what I detailed in my previous post which will produce much better quality and lower bitrates over 3G. In my hands, I can't stream the standard 480x360 iPhone preset over 3G -- it just stops and pauses too often.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=8573102&postcount=72

Hint: you need to open the EyeTV archive/recording package and manually encode a new file that is named in the same pattern as the iPhone encodings that EyeTV produces -- something like:

000000001073e985.iPhone.m4v

Then, you may have to relaunch the EyeTV application so that it recognizes the file that you've manually added to the archive.

RedTomato
Sep 30, 2009, 04:28 PM
Does this display subtitles?

Yes it's a small screen, but subtitles would benefit many people not just deaf people.

Fnpc posted 10 posts before mine, but I missed it:
Text is also mostly unreadable (in the video) so you can't see subtitles or news crawls. The audio, however, sounds surprisingly good.

Seems it would be better to send subtitles as a separate component of the data stream, so that the viewer can select font size etc. Maybe one day this will be possible.

fpnc
Sep 30, 2009, 05:45 PM
Text is also mostly unreadable (in the video) so you can't see subtitles or news crawls. The audio, however, sounds surprisingly good.
...Seems it would be better to send subtitles as a separate component of the data stream, so that the viewer can select font size etc. Maybe one day this will be possible.
My comment only applied to video streamed over 3G, streaming over WiFi should be able to show pretty small text.

However for 3G, if you encode the video manually as I've previously explained you CAN read fairly small text, like the news crawl on CNN (somewhat difficult to read, but possible).

I'm going to request that Elgato add a custom iPhone setting so that you can encode at something other than their very low quality cellular or the too high bitrates they use in their 480x360 iPhone setting. If they did that then you could record shows and have them automatically converted into something that would stream nicely over the 3G network at about 300Kbps.

justit
Sep 30, 2009, 06:46 PM
EyeTV has a free service called My EyeTV which resolves the IP. You just need to register with your email address and a password, then within the EyeTV app on the iPhone you enter same and you can connect from anywhere.

If you want to opt out and not provide this information, you can get the OS X version of dyndns.org to manage a domain name that handles dynamic IP address changes.

jamesarm97
Sep 30, 2009, 06:56 PM
For playback over 3G you need to encode using the EyeTV cellular or the 480x360 iPhone preset (you can select between iPhone 480x360, or iPhone + cellular or just cellular under EyeTV's Preferences > iPhone > More Options...).

Not trying to play on 3G, just wifi remotely. Works locally, but when remote in the office (port forwarded, can watch live tv and see guide) all I get is the "this video is not compatible" when the video player comes up.

boston04and07
Sep 30, 2009, 07:14 PM
OK, I have figured out the my Eyetv confusion that I had earlier - evidently it wasn't working because I still had a titan TV account from when I first got the device. Anywho, everything is working almost wonderfully! I am able to connect on multiple wifi networks....EXCEPT for the fact that there is no sound. No matter what I do - on my home network or on my friend's - I cannot get sound delivered to the iPhone. The phone's other system sounds work fine, so I know it's not something else. I have already tried deleting and reinstalling too. Additionally, I do sometimes drop sound with my mac's Eyetv and have to quit and restart the application to get it back - does anybody have any idea if that's related somehow?

I'm so confused :confused::confused:

nazuk
Sep 30, 2009, 08:03 PM
OK, I have figured out the my Eyetv confusion that I had earlier - evidently it wasn't working because I still had a titan TV account from when I first got the device. Anywho, everything is working almost wonderfully! I am able to connect on multiple wifi networks....EXCEPT for the fact that there is no sound. No matter what I do - on my home network or on my friend's - I cannot get sound delivered to the iPhone. The phone's other system sounds work fine, so I know it's not something else. I have already tried deleting and reinstalling too. Additionally, I do sometimes drop sound with my mac's Eyetv and have to quit and restart the application to get it back - does anybody have any idea if that's related somehow?

When you tried re-installing, is that the EyeTV app itself on your mac? If so, did you ensure the eyetv was unplugged, and removing all traces eg: preference files as well, incase they are corrupt?

Seems like because you are getting dropped sound on your desktop app, that their is an underlying problem their in the first place.

Let us know how you get on.

mgamber
Sep 30, 2009, 08:56 PM
How do people like this app/hardware versus the slingbox?

I have two Slingboxes and bought an EyeTV 250 this evening to see how all this stacks against Sling and Orb. As I suspected, it's a lot more like Orb than Sling, the main reason being that it requires a computer, fairly intensive software running on that computer and your own IR solution if you intend to use a set top box. It does have a sweet HD picture tho. Unfortunately, the first thing I ran into was ancient software on the CD that required a kludge workaround to get the latest downloaded and installed. Once that was done, it told me that my router is incompatible. Frankly, I think it sucks to be EyeTV, that router has worked fine with Orb and Slingboxes for years. I guess I have two weeks to either get it working or back it goes.

fpnc
Sep 30, 2009, 11:24 PM
Not trying to play on 3G, just wifi remotely. Works locally, but when remote in the office (port forwarded, can watch live tv and see guide) all I get is the "this video is not compatible" when the video player comes up.
Do you have the My EyeTV service enabled so that it can resolve your IP when you are on a remote network? Doesn't sound like your problem but maybe the error message is bogus. Also, you may be having problems with your router or firewall at work.

fpnc
Sep 30, 2009, 11:26 PM
...that there is no sound. No matter what I do - on my home network or on my friend's - I cannot get sound delivered to the iPhone. The phone's other system sounds work fine, so I know it's not something else. I have already tried deleting and reinstalling too. Additionally, I do sometimes drop sound with my mac's Eyetv and have to quit and restart the application to get it back - does anybody have any idea if that's related somehow?

I've seen this problem also (just once recently, once or twice a long time ago), but it was fixed by restarting the application on the Mac.

ViViDboarder
Oct 1, 2009, 08:12 AM
I haven't tried so can't verify, but read a comment somewhere earlier that said that SD streamed fine on a Core Duo, just not HD.

Mine says no Live streaming without C2D... So that sucks... (I just updated EyeTV and luckily haven't spent my money on the App.)

boston04and07
Oct 1, 2009, 10:43 AM
Thanks for the advice!! I only meant that I reinstalled the iPhone app, but ill definitely try reinstalling the desktop app as well when I get home later to see if that fixes anything.

nagromme
Oct 1, 2009, 10:57 AM
I connected the iPhone with Apple AV cable (composite) to my TV set: Sound will be streamed to the TV set, video not (live tv and recorded files).

I hope this works in future. (Which needs Apple to be on board? Is there real 3rd-party support for video-out yet?)

It would be cool to be visiting someone's house and be able to access my EyeTV stuff and output to their TV. I've output the built-in YouTube app to TV, and that's a nice feature.

nagromme
Oct 1, 2009, 11:18 AM
If you want to opt out and not provide this information, you can get the OS X version of dyndns.org to manage a domain name that handles dynamic IP address changes.

Or use no-ip.com. Their free service lets you pick a subdomain for yourself, and they have both a manual app for updating your IP, and a background process that will keep the IP updated automatically. (However, their software for Mac is fairly old--it no longer has the option to launch the process at boot. So I add their manual-update app to my login items, just as a reminder, and then I go into its prefs, where I can click to start the "daemon," and then quit the app.)

I've tested it on Leopard in the past, for hosting games. Have not tested with EyeTV and Snow Leopard.

No-ip does still require you to sign up, though. If EyeTV's system works for hosting games too, I might just switch to that! I always have EyeTV running so there would be no need for a background process.

robbieduncan
Oct 1, 2009, 11:31 AM
I'm having an issue with this: no matter what I do I cannot get the phone to connect. It just says "Could not connect to EyeTV service unavailable (503)". This is via the local WiFi/Wired network and/or My EyeTV (which has a green light on the EyeTV preferences. Any ideas?

mgamber
Oct 1, 2009, 01:32 PM
Update: I didn't waste any more time on EyeTV or the iPhone app, it went back to the store. When compared to Orb it's awful. The desktop software was a pain in the ass to simply get running and it absolutely would not work with my router, a Linksys WRT150N. Seriously, when did Windows developers stop checking the OS version and not allow an app to run if it wasn't that version, 1992? The iPhone software isn't very stable and I'd say it flat out crashed about 1/4 of the time within seconds of starting it. It also does NOT do live tv via 3G and Orb does. It's nowhere near as easy as Slingbox/player and nowhere near as flexible as Orb. The best thing about the whole experience was that the Apple store took back the unit and gave me a full refund so I'm only out $5 for the iPhone app.

fpnc
Oct 1, 2009, 04:15 PM
Update: I didn't waste any more time on EyeTV or the iPhone app, it went back to the store. When compared to Orb it's awful. The desktop software was a pain in the ass to simply get running and it absolutely would not work with my router, a Linksys WRT150N. Seriously, when did Windows developers stop checking the OS version and not allow an app to run if it wasn't that version, 1992? The iPhone software isn't very stable and I'd say it flat out crashed about 1/4 of the time within seconds of starting it. It also does NOT do live tv via 3G and Orb does. It's nowhere near as easy as Slingbox/player and nowhere near as flexible as Orb. The best thing about the whole experience was that the Apple store took back the unit and gave me a full refund so I'm only out $5 for the iPhone app.
It seems like there are a fair number of similar, negative comments about Orb over in the iTunes Store, so your mileage may vary.

I've only been using the EyeTV App for about a day, but have already watched one 30 minute video via my iPhone's 3G connection while I had lunch. In that situation, it worked perfectly.

There is an issue about not being able to upgrade the EyeTV Mac application after upgrading to Snow Leopard. I was "bitten" by that and had to spend a few minutes getting everything straightened out. They do, however, have a workaround posted on their website.

In my hands, the EyeTV Mac application has worked pretty well with Elgato's EyeTV 250 Plus and thus far I'd rate my experience with the iPhone app as good but admittedly not perfect.

By the way, I have no financial interest in either Elgato or EyeTV, I'm just a customer. I also own a Slingbox and its corresponding iPhone app.

nagromme
Oct 1, 2009, 04:52 PM
It's working great for me locally. Over WAN I cannot say: NO ports seem to be working (even ones I used last week for VNC) which is not EyeTV's fault. I think it's an issue with AT&T DSL. I hope they haven't started blocking something intentionally. I'll try again tomorrow in the hopes that it's fixed. (I can't even traceroute to my home.)

I'm having an issue with this: no matter what I do I cannot get the phone to connect. It just says "Could not connect to EyeTV service unavailable (503)". This is via the local WiFi/Wired network and/or My EyeTV (which has a green light on the EyeTV preferences. Any ideas?

Temporarily bogged down by unexpected sudden traffic? I couldn't even get the company's Web site earlier today. Seems OK now.

Deslock
Oct 1, 2009, 07:02 PM
Thanks for posting this. EyeTV has been able to stream recorded content for a long time, but being able to stream live TV is more useful to me. CyTV will stream it to a laptop, but it's clunky and problematic so I shelled out the $5 hoping that this works better.

MacPhilosopher
Oct 1, 2009, 11:27 PM
I have used EyeTV for over two years. I am very happy with its performance, especially after the last couple of upgrades and updates. Just two days ago, I drove off to work and remembered that I had forgotten to schedule a recording. Since I had never initiated the built-in online scheduler, I just went without that show. I figured that I would just suffer through the chunky, undependable web streamed episode when it becomes available in a day or two. Now, I can schedule programs from anywhere with what I consider absolute ease. Today, while at my girlfriends house, I tried the live streaming over her wifi. It was only about a 15-20 second delay from the live version on her Cable TV. Very nice picture and sound. Way to go EyeTV and Apple. All they need to do now is add a fully functional remote control for the desktop version.

Note: for all of the haters out there. I am amazed at how angry and nasty you get when something doesn't work on your system. First, restart your mac and iPhone after major installs and upgrades. We have all become so spoiled with OS X and its ability to do installs and upgrades every time you make a change without restarting, however, that doesn't mean it's not necessary for optimizing performance and features. Also, if some other product works for you, just use it. I think EyeTV rocks. I haven't used Sling or Orb, so I won't say anything neg about them. BTW, not being able to get hardware or software to work for you does not qualify you to condemn it. If you can't get it to work due to a technical problem or some incompatibility you still have not used the hardware/software. Since it is working just fine for others(not bad for vers. 1.0.0), then the problem might just be you.

byeehaaw
Oct 1, 2009, 11:49 PM
So i keep getting the incompatible router message. I am currently a student on a college campus where they provide internet access. I have no idea how routers work and was just wondering if there was any shot at getting this to work. I bought it without being sure that i could use it -_-. i have snow leopard and my firewall is off. I have seen people forwarding their ports or doing something with dyndns but i have no idea what these things do or if they will even help me. can anyone help me?

robbieduncan
Oct 2, 2009, 03:01 AM
Temporarily bogged down by unexpected sudden traffic? I couldn't even get the company's Web site earlier today. Seems OK now.

I get the same message on a local/Bonjour connection.

Habakuk
Oct 2, 2009, 04:49 AM
My brief experience report (German-language) with a little video clip (http://rossau.wordpress.com/2009/10/02/fernsehen-am-iphone-mit-eyetv/): A realtime and uncut demonstration of "Live TV" on two different Wi-Fi networks: EyeTV hybrid tuner stationary on the Mac and the iPhone in the café (as the background noise clearly reveals). As far as I know the first opportunity for watching "Live TV" on the iDevice outside of north america.

fpnc
Oct 2, 2009, 01:57 PM
So i keep getting the incompatible router message. I am currently a student on a college campus where they provide internet access. I have no idea how routers work and was just wondering if there was any shot at getting this to work. I bought it without being sure that i could use it -_-. i have snow leopard and my firewall is off. I have seen people forwarding their ports or doing something with dyndns but i have no idea what these things do or if they will even help me. can anyone help me?
Have you tried the FAQ and troubleshooting steps on Elgato's website?

nagromme
Oct 3, 2009, 03:18 AM
It's working great for me locally. Over WAN I cannot say: NO ports seem to be working (even ones I used last week for VNC) which is not EyeTV's fault. I think it's an issue with AT&T DSL. I hope they haven't started blocking something intentionally. I'll try again tomorrow in the hopes that it's fixed. (I can't even traceroute to my home.)

Yep--must have been an AT&T issue of some kind. All my ports are working again today, and I can confirm that EyeTV + no-ip.com works for TV-watching over WAN :) Too cool. One more reason to love my EyeTV. And my rabbit ears!

EDIT: I just HAD to open my yap... It doesn't work anymore (not even on LAN). Unable to connect. Nothing has changed since earlier when it was fine. Will try again tomorrow.

EDIT2: It came back when I downloaded a newer build--link near the end of this page: http://support.elgato.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=3651&nav=0,1,388&languageid=1&group=englishdefault

(Also check your OS X Firewall for EyeTV stuff set to Block. I had it set to Allow and yet it once went to Block on its own somehow.)

Tomar
Oct 3, 2009, 09:43 AM
By the way, I have no financial interest in either Elgato or EyeTV, I'm just a customer. I also own a Slingbox and its corresponding iPhone app.

So which do you prefer?

byeehaaw
Oct 3, 2009, 10:26 AM
Have you tried the FAQ and troubleshooting steps on Elgato's website?

yea i think its the fact that im on a school campus and they wont allow those router settings.

boston04and07
Oct 3, 2009, 05:13 PM
I've seen this problem also (just once recently, once or twice a long time ago), but it was fixed by restarting the application on the Mac.

Well I've solved the problem with my sound disappearing. I reinstalled Eyetv, only to discover that the problem persisted. After digging around some more, I realized that in the Audio pane of Preferences, I noticed that my Audio Output was selected to go to System Sound. I tried checking Headphones, since I have some external speakers plugged into the audio-out port of my MacBook. This seems to have solved the problem...at least, for now!

Now if only I could get the iPhone app to connect to my Mac on a consistent basis, I'd be a happy camper! :) Unfortunately my "My Eyetv" account randomly started telling me that my router (AEBS) was incompatible after using it for the past few days, and using port forwarding hasn't worked either - my iPhone won't even connect that way. Hmmmmm.

justit
Oct 3, 2009, 06:58 PM
So i keep getting the incompatible router message.

Have you turned on back to my mac? I know it sounds simple, but if you can't figure out NAT, you need to let apple do it for you, ya $99/yr for mobile me, but that's the price you pay for .... well just try the 1 month trial :rolleyes:

jamesarm97
Oct 3, 2009, 07:20 PM
Do you have the My EyeTV service enabled so that it can resolve your IP when you are on a remote network? Doesn't sound like your problem but maybe the error message is bogus. Also, you may be having problems with your router or firewall at work.

Not a router issue. Have port forwarding on, can login and see schedules and even watch Live Tv. Just playing back recorded shows is an issue. Works locally but not remotely. Using the iPhone + Cellular export. Getting a Video is not Compatible message.

fpnc
Oct 4, 2009, 12:34 AM
So which do you prefer?
That's a bit of a hard call (do I prefer SlingBox or EyeTV?). I like SlingBox because it works without leaving my Mac running. However, the EyeTV supports recording and offers streaming over 3G. What I'd really like is a hardware product that offered both. Kind of like an AppleTV that I could keep at home and that allowed streaming over 3G. Unfortunately, I don't think Apple will ever offer an AppleTV-like product that supports recording and which offers either a cable card or a built-in tuner.

I guess the only reasonable Mac-centric solution would be a Mac mini paired with the EyeTV.