PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys say to using iTunes for iPhone and only Plex for everything else

Doju
Sep 30, 2009, 08:04 PM
Recently I jumped on the HD bandwagon. Grabbed a 500GB internal for my MacBook Pro and a 1TB external in case (and I imagine I'll need it) I run out of space.

My biggest annoyance is iTunes ridiculous inability to play .MKVs. I either convert, wait ages and lose quality or save as a container, still wait awhile, and the quality isn't as good as the original .MKV. Neither option is as nice as keeping the original .MKV file.

I've heard a lot about Plex as of late, so I'm considering using that for all my HD media, and use iTunes for my SD media. I can sync my iPhone with iTunes and have the benefit there (there's no way I'm wasting space putting HD on my iPhone) plus I don't have to edit the CNID to have two copies. One lower quality in iTunes, the amazing stuff in Plex.

What do you guys think about this? I know some might say this may not work with the Apple TV, but I'm leaning more towards the Mac Mini hometheatre route.

VirtualRain
Oct 1, 2009, 11:41 AM
Exactly the same concerns I had, and I went the Mac Mini Plex route and it's fantastic. I was previously running a Vista HTPC and it was far less refined and convenient than Plex on a Mac. Plus the noise in my living room and the power consumption has gone way down.

My Mac Mini in the living room functions as a NAS, BT client, and HTPC... all-in-one. It's one of the best computing investments I've made.

As you are suggesting, I still use iTunes for music and podcasts, but that's about it.