Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
Is anybody else getting tired of the first 10-20 minutes of your game being a tutorial? Some games are decent at hiding it I suppose but others are just atrocious. I recently got Scribblenauts and Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days and both had somewhat long tutorials. I recall Gears of War having one (at least it was skippable). Most WWII shooter type games have a firing range in the beginning.

I guess Scribblenauts just annoyed me because I started my game over (spent all my dollas on avatars and songs... oops) and I couldn't skip it. Then I started playing Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days and the first 6-7 missions are really just tutorials. For me it kind of didn't fit with the story. I'm sure by the end I'll have forgotten about it but it doesn't do anything for the beginning immersion.

/babyrant

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I can see the point of tutorials. When they are brief and masked into the game experience it's not too bad (batman did it well) but often they are really annoying for the most part. Tutorials should be skippable, when they are long and protracted (like scribblenauts) it can temper your enjoyment quite a lot. The worst ones though are the ones that use overly long tutorials which you then discover are 25% of the game length, that's just lazy.

Racing game tutorials annoy me as well thinking about it. I mean fundementally controls and the whole purpose of a racing game doesn't change regardless of what game it is dirt2 or need 4 speed shift etc.. So why they need to explain every little event detail when all they need to say is... Err press accelerate and win race, period....

ManhattanPrjct

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2008
I think it totally depends on how they are integrated into the game. If I know there's a tutorial, I'm less likely to look at the instruction docs that come with the game, and can eagerly just pop it in and start.

The games I like cleverly integrate the "learn to play" segments into the game. Fallout 3 does it best, since it's more or less part of the storyline and when you create a new character, your actions change the tutorial. Even other actions like Bioshock (or even MGS) teach you the game through contact with other characters, which help build the story.

I guess I haven't come across a truly annoying one like you have (yet)!

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I think it totally depends on how they are integrated into the game. If I know there's a tutorial, I'm less likely to look at the instruction docs that come with the game, and can eagerly just pop it in and start.

:eek: You read the manual ? I didn't think anyone did that anymore....

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
I thought those were just EULA's and CYA warning books with pretty pictures on front ... :D

I also like nicely integrated tutorials ... or skippable ones.

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
I recently replayed Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines and Knights of the Old Republic ... and I *loved* Bloodlines tutorial area (Jack) enough that I don't skip it even though I can. KotOR also has a nice balance where you have to work through the area but you don't have to get instructions unless you need them.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I still read through manuals :p, I normally play a little bit of a game and then sit back and read the manual. But generally I really dislike forced tutorials. Some games don't need them and most of the time I only find them useful for complex control games.

My idea of a good tutorial is to throw the player in a locked environment that lightly reflects the full game, with no punishment for failure. Explain a little bit but let them figure out what they need to do (especially if it's a standard FPS or RPG, something everyone can play). Crisis Core did it well. But I like old-style games that just throw the player in, the norm before consoles became casual platforms :mad:.
In my current project, after a save point, the player is free to move around and experiment with the mechanics a little. There's no ammo or items to waste so it's just learning the controls. KISS.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
Half Life 2 did it best for me.

I can still play that and not get bored doing the begining 'tutorial' sections.

Unspoken Demise

macrumors 68040
Apr 16, 2009
>9,000
The worst was Prince of Persia for the 360. The tutorials were achievements.
"Talk to the lady"
10 points!
"Kill a dude"
10 points!
"Talk to lady more"
10 Points!
"Keep talking because you obviously have nothing better to do"
10 points (Im being serious. Left trigger talks to the girl. There are 3 or more achievements on this)
"Holy crap use the compass."
10 points!

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Jul 10, 2005
Rocketing through the sky!
The worst was Prince of Persia for the 360. The tutorials were achievements.
"Talk to the lady"
10 points!
"Kill a dude"
10 points!
"Talk to lady more"
10 Points!
"Keep talking because you obviously have nothing better to do"
10 points (Im being serious. Left trigger talks to the girl. There are 3 or more achievements on this)
"Holy crap use the compass."
10 points!

Wasn't that awesome? My deep down inner achievement whore cried with joy.

Unspoken Demise

macrumors 68040
Apr 16, 2009
>9,000
Wasn't that awesome? My deep down inner achievement whore cried with joy.

It was awesome at first, but I like a challenge. Those were ridiculous. I like maybe one achievement like "Holy crap you beat the tutorial" 10G or something like that.

[INNERACHIEVEMENTWHORE] I loved it so much. :D [/INNERACHIEVEMENTWHORE]

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
I read every manual I get...smell em too(thats a different story) but I think tutorials are very useful. How else am suppose to know to press up on the analog stick and it will make the character move in the appropriate direction.

I always know sikkinixx was a achievement whore...you and I are on same corner;)

Bless

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Jul 10, 2005
If there was a game, that just said

a'rite, please press start.

[Achievement Unlocked] 1000 - YOU DID IT!

I something think I might actually pay a few bucks for that.... WHAT'S WRONG WITH ME?!

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Jul 10, 2005
Where do we start ;) :D:p

200301427_22f23fd3e4.jpg

:(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.