PDA

View Full Version : More Details on Next-Generation Mighty Mouse?

MacRumors
Oct 2, 2009, 09:07 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2009/10/02/more-details-on-next-generation-mighty-mouse/)

Last week, French site Mac4Ever briefly noted (http://www.macrumors.com/2009/09/25/next-generation-imac-with-sd-slot-quad-core-possible-xeon-new-mouse-and-remote-in-pipeline/") among other topics that Apple is reportedly working on a new touch-sensitive mouse capable of "complex movements" from its touch surface. A new report (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/10/02/apple_plans_mighty_mouse_makeover.html) today from AppleInsider offers additional claims of a new mouse in the works, possibly to debut in the very near future alongside revamped iMacs.

Building on a patent application (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/07/05/apple-investigating-mulittouch-mouse/) addressing multi-touch mouse technology filed in March 2006, the new mouse is rumored to lack a roller ball for scrolling purposes and instead incorporate touch sensitivity for such actions while also offering a responsive scrolling system similar to that seen in the iPhone OS.Given Apple's patented "inertia feedback" used on the iPod and iPhone, where item lists bounce when reaching the top or bottom and scrolling speeds accelerate in response to how the user touches the surface, the next Apple mouse is similarly expected to wed new hardware with sophisticated software to deliver an intuitive new feel in scroll navigation.

Should the new mouse arrive alongside revamped iMacs, its also likely to drop the white plastic finish it formerly used to match previous Mac models, possibly adopting an aluminum appearance to fit in with Apple's current lineup of desktop computers and notebooks. People familiar with the company's plans have indicated the new iMac will eventually receive a retooled IR remote that drops white plastic for an aluminum finish.The new report's claims of an aluminum finish conflict with those of Mac4Ever, whose sources reported that the new mouse would retain the clear plastic shell of the existing Mighty Mouse, although with a more slender form factor.

Article Link: More Details on Next-Generation Mighty Mouse? (http://www.macrumors.com/2009/10/02/more-details-on-next-generation-mighty-mouse/)

Shasterball
Oct 2, 2009, 09:10 AM
That would be schweet! I can see the use of iPhone-type motions to really help with e.g., large text documents...

Rychiar
Oct 2, 2009, 09:10 AM
bout damn time. i been sayin they shoulda done this since the original mighty mouse came out. the track ball they have now is a joke. mine only worked for the first month i owned the thing and its my 3rd one after sending a few back:mad:

igazza
Oct 2, 2009, 09:14 AM
The mighty mouse is so old it shipped with the powermac :p

whooleytoo
Oct 2, 2009, 09:16 AM
Mighty mouse - gunk = Mightier mouse!

It'll be very interesting how they implement this, moving fingertips around on a mouse sounds a little awkward; but if they can make the concept work.... a multi-touch mouse with scroll/rotate/zoom gestures?

I think a l'il wee just came out.

KingYaba
Oct 2, 2009, 09:16 AM
Return of the hockey puck.

Full of Win
Oct 2, 2009, 09:17 AM
Death to the grime holding rollerball!

cluthz
Oct 2, 2009, 09:18 AM
About time apple makes a mouse the is usable.
I've never liked the apple mices and have used logitechs always

gonnabuyamac
Oct 2, 2009, 09:18 AM
i will buy one of these the first day they come out. i've been so annoyed with my BT mighty mouse that i've been looking at other mice lately, but if Apple comes out with a better one, i'll gladly give it a shot.

aresinferno
Oct 2, 2009, 09:19 AM
Forget the mouse, what I want is a bluetooth multi-touch trackpad.

CalMin
Oct 2, 2009, 09:21 AM

Or a trackpad keyboard. Switching from my Macbook to my iMac feels like a step back.

Wayfarer
Oct 2, 2009, 09:22 AM
Hurrah for physics, function and revolutionary design!

Hopefully they will focus on ergonomics too...

jeepik
thank god

the current mighty mouse aint so "mighty"

cant wait

crackbookpro

...along with a bluetooth numeric keypad keyboard. There is space on the numeric keypad keyboard to have a trackpad. ;)

The mouse is one of the best simple inventions of all time. I laugh at touch screen computers like the HP TouchSmart PC - the thing is just dumb!!!

Can't wait for the new mouse!

haravikk
Oct 2, 2009, 09:23 AM
Hmm, it sounds interesting. The current Mighty Mouse rollerball is feeble as anything, I'd be perfectly happy just to have them make that a bit bigger/sturdier, but a touch-surface may be much more useful in the long run as it can't get dirt in it as the rollerball can, which causes it to stop working after a while.

I would also like them to start making right and left-handed mice; while it's admirable that they keep trying for a mouse that you can use with either hand, the result tends not to be very comfortable for prolonged use, at least for me.

And lastly; battery life! They need to ditch AA batteries in favour of an internal one, with a charging and RF receiving dock, as RF uses less power I believe. My Logitech MX-Revolution can last for a little over two weeks of heavy use on a full-charge, and recharges from empty in two or three hours (though I don't let it get that low normally). When I used to use the wireless Mighty Mouse and its predecessor I was churning through batteries so quickly it just became a no-brainer to buy a different wireless mouse!

I don't think I've ever liked a single Apple mouse except for the old G3 puck mouse, but even then it was only really a good match for the G3 iMacs, not the PowerMacs.

doctoree
Oct 2, 2009, 09:23 AM
I want a revolutionary input device where I don't have to make stupid, unhealthy movements with my hands to move the pointer on screen.
I know that's hard to make but this is Apple we are talking about. They invented a phone that suddenly appeared and now eats all the other phones.

izzle22
Oct 2, 2009, 09:24 AM
I wonder if Snow Leopard will be required?????:eek:

dubhe
Oct 2, 2009, 09:26 AM
we don't need a slender mouse, we need a hand sized mouse that works.

wesleyh
Oct 2, 2009, 09:27 AM
Is this appleinsider or what? Almost every single post is repeated from there, sounds like macrumors is becoming lazy.

bobob
Oct 2, 2009, 09:28 AM
Why does the new mouse have to be a mouse at all?

Perhaps it'll be a wireless touchpad that just sits on your desk...

Mew2468
Oct 2, 2009, 09:28 AM
Nice! I've always loved how the iPod Touch and iPhone scroll through things.

Unspoken Demise
Oct 2, 2009, 09:30 AM
Haha. Now there is finally a market for mouse screen protectors. :p

Otaviano
Oct 2, 2009, 09:32 AM
About time, the Mighty Mouse is one of the worse Apple products ever. I can't stand that stupid tracking ball, that immediately clogs up and is impossible to clean.

nxfxcom
Oct 2, 2009, 09:36 AM
I am a Tablet Only user! But i actually might one like that for modelling

BrutalSpoon
Oct 2, 2009, 09:37 AM
I reckon a multitouch mouse would be pretty damn awesome - I can just imagine scrolling around webpages by moving both fingers up and down on both buttons at once a la the multitouch trackpad on MacBooks. Trying it on the mouse I'm using right now, it actually works pretty well.

That's assuming, of course, that Apple would finally move to a multi button mouse... which, knowing Apple, isn't likely. Mind you, that could just mean more room for gestures if it's just a flat surface like the current mighty mouse (without the scroll ball, of course).

It'll be interesting to see what comes out of this!

TheSlush
Oct 2, 2009, 09:39 AM
My only trepidation about this idea of killing the poor fragile little trackball (and yes, mine got gunked up and stopped working too) and being replaced by touch-sensitivity is the potential for stray, errant scrolls from your finger moving over the surface of the mouse during normal non-scrolling use.

But in Apple I trust.

I know that's hard to make but this is Apple we are talking about. They invented a phone that suddenly appeared and now eats all the other phones.

Lol, too true.

I would also like them to start making right and left-handed mice; while it's admirable that they keep trying for a mouse that you can use with either hand, the result tends not to be very comfortable for prolonged use, at least for me.

You mean like a curved mouse? I just don't see it happening. Ergonomically, Apple tends to want to make things more universal rather than more customized. If they could figure out a way to make the same mouse design usable by blind quadruple amputees too, they'd do that.

I don't think I've ever liked a single Apple mouse except for the old G3 puck mouse...

:confused: I think you're officially the first and only person to say that.

viperguy
Oct 2, 2009, 09:42 AM
I like the idea! I might pick 1 to go with my Macbook! :apple:

WestonHarvey1
Oct 2, 2009, 09:47 AM
I'm pretty excited about this. I have an elaborate 1-hour cleaning process I use that restores function to my scroll ball in sometimes as many as 3 out of 4 directions.

It lasts as many as 10 minutes.

xlii
Oct 2, 2009, 09:47 AM
Why is it always foreign (non US) sources that have the skinny on Apple's next generation of products?

crackbookpro
Oct 2, 2009, 09:50 AM
Why is it always foreign (non US) sources that have the skinny on Apple's next generation of products?

We import a lot of things! :p

DaBrain
Oct 2, 2009, 09:51 AM

I also would love to see this and wonder how they would implement the pressing the scroll button for going to the widget screen?

What I would really like to see in the new iMacs is a keybd with a detachable BT multi touch mouse pad. Now that would be Great! ;)

mac ath
Oct 2, 2009, 09:52 AM
maybe the new mouse is the "touchscreen remote" we saw a few days ago and couldn't figure out for which device it was...?

mobi
Oct 2, 2009, 09:53 AM
How appropriate; my Might Mouse scroll ball just failed and after fiddling with it for a half-hour it is now partially working.

Harpy007
Oct 2, 2009, 10:01 AM
Apple store in Canada writes 2-3 weeks for delivery if you check the wireless mighty mouse and 7-10 days for the wired one.

http://store.apple.com/ca/product/MB111ZM/A/Wireless-Mighty-Mouse?fnode=MTY1NDA1Mg&mco=MTA4Njg4ODE

http://store.apple.com/ca/product/MB112ZM/A/Mighty-Mouse?fnode=MTY1NDA1Mg&mco=MTA5MjgxODA

This rumor is looking pretty accurate, can't wait! :D

AAPLaday
Oct 2, 2009, 10:01 AM
Bout time those without a portable mac got in on the joys of touch :D

brad.c
Oct 2, 2009, 10:02 AM
How about an extended BT keyboard too? Huh?

Schizoid
Oct 2, 2009, 10:05 AM
we don't need a slender mouse, we need a hand sized mouse that works.

agreed, making the keyboard smaller is silly, making the mouse smaller is litigious!

iMJustAGuy
Oct 2, 2009, 10:06 AM
Sounds cool and the iMacs need to HURRY up. BUT, lay your iPhone where your mouse would go and flick up or down. It feels really akward because of the angle and the positioning of your hand and the "mouse". I'm not sure that would work too good. Even if it wasn't flicking, it seems like using something touch sensitive over there like that would be quite akward.

"akward".....Am I spelling that right...its not aWkward.. is it?

EDIT: AWWW MAN, it is. I just googled it.

decimortis
Oct 2, 2009, 10:08 AM
I'd like to see a mouse with a rechargeable battery via usb, so you can use it wired, then just unplug the cable when you need to go wireless. If it happens to have an Apple logo on it somewhere, that would be cool too.

iMJustAGuy
Oct 2, 2009, 10:15 AM

Isn't most of it produced outside the US?

electronboy
Oct 2, 2009, 10:16 AM
The current mighty mouse is an ergonomic and reliability nightmare.

I keep my hands very clean and the scroll ball for both mice at home and work have stopped working. :mad: In fact, I have never seen one of the scroll balls on these overpriced wonders stay working for longer than 2 weeks! :eek:

Also, right clicks with the mouse are an absolute hassle. I threw out my Logitech wireless mouse cause of errant clicks and other weirdness.

I'll wait and see the next Apple mouse and if it's a pile of crap, Microsoft Mouse, here I come!

iZac
Oct 2, 2009, 10:17 AM
*glares at BT mighty mouse with knackered scroll wheel*

Soon you will go to mouse heaven.

On an aside, I vote for the black apple pro mouse as apples best looking mouse. If only it scrolled. I can do without a RMB (left hand permanently hovers over my keyboard anyway) but not a scroll wheel.

kdarling
Oct 2, 2009, 10:18 AM
That would be schweet! I can see the use of iPhone-type motions to really help with e.g., large text documents...

Heck no :)

Sometimes mouse scrollbars make a lot more sense.

The iPhone motions are horrible with large documents. Try to swipe quickly to a certain page or bottom of a PDF. It's painful, slow and ridiculous.

(Unless they built in touch scrollbar support, or huge acceleration, either of which are patches to the problem.)

sanPietro98
Oct 2, 2009, 10:18 AM
If it's multitouch, then they can even get rid of the ONE button! They never really admitted that one button was never enough. This would let them "save face."

star-fish
Oct 2, 2009, 10:19 AM
And lastly; battery life! They need to ditch AA batteries in favour of an internal one, with a charging and RF receiving dock, as RF uses less power I believe. My Logitech MX-Revolution can last for a little over two weeks of heavy use on a full-charge, and recharges from empty in two or three hours (though I don't let it get that low normally). When I used to use the wireless Mighty Mouse and its predecessor I was churning through batteries so quickly it just became a no-brainer to buy a different wireless mouse!

So why didn't you just buy one of the battery chargers that can charge 4 or 8 at a time and keep the spares charged? Or use better batteries? :confused:

GoodWatch
Oct 2, 2009, 10:19 AM
I'm very curious. I still use a wireless MM although the down-scroll often jams. And I want the whole package to keep that uniform look.

Schizoid
Oct 2, 2009, 10:20 AM
there's only one way to sort out the mice from the errr boys, and that's a game of MOUSE CONKERS!

we recently gathered all Apple mice from down the years and played conkers with them all, the winner was...

The Apple Mouse!
(you know - the square one with one big button on it, it weighs about 65kg, think it's got Uranium in it...)

notromeel
Oct 2, 2009, 10:20 AM
Hold onnnn.

So, you're saying the same "bounce" feature I experience on the web on my iPhone I will be experiencing in Safari on my iMac, with this new mouse?

There's food for thought there ladies.

TraceyS/FL
Oct 2, 2009, 10:21 AM
I haven't had a ton of troubles with mine, in fact, i love it!

These work awesome for cleaning the ball.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001IKKHFE

It's a felt like texture swab soaking in alcohol. Turn it upside down and roll and push.... then blow it dry.

Mine is now almost 2 years old and working fine with occasional cleaning. Same for the grungy handed kids wired one.

But it is due for a change, and i can't see what htey do. This one fits my hand well though - smaller won't work for me at all.

whooleytoo
Oct 2, 2009, 10:22 AM

Not so. The puck was my favourite single-button mouse too.

It was small - so easy to move around with two fingers, without having to move your entire hand.
It was flat - so didn't force you to bend your wrist back thus causing carpal tunnel pain.
The button was quite wide - which meant you could be quite flexible in where you placed your button-pressing finger; you weren't forced to contort your hand to keep the finger over a small button.

TraceyS/FL
Oct 2, 2009, 10:23 AM
there's only one way to sort out the mice from the errr boys, and that's a game of MOUSE CONKERS!

we recently gathered all Apple mice from down the years and played conkers with them all, the winner was...

The Apple Mouse!
(you know - the square one with one big button on it, it weighs about 65kg, think it's got Uranium in it...)

The ADB one? the first one that had a ball that weighed something vs the crappy light thing they switched too? I was still using my original mouse when i had to move to a windows box at work. I cried at having to give up my good mouse. I think it's still here around the house!

Schizoid
Oct 2, 2009, 10:25 AM
The ADB one? the first one that had a ball that weighed something vs the crappy light thing they switched too? I was still using my original mouse when i had to move to a windows box at work. I cried at having to give up my good mouse. I think it's still here around the house!

I think it was ADB... go and find it now, we can have a conker tournament of champions!

EagerDragon
Oct 2, 2009, 10:25 AM
I use a logitech 2 button mouse, the Mighty mouse gives me cramps due to keeping one finger or another away from the mouse surface.

I dought there is a very large percentage of users using the mighty mouse, however I could be mistaken.

Lets hope whatever comes can address both set of customers. For me I need two buttons.

IMO this patent is not likely to see the light of day, however some of the capabilities may.

bbydon
Oct 2, 2009, 10:26 AM
Is this appleinsider or what? Almost every single post is repeated from there, sounds like macrumors is becoming lazy.

He quotes the sources.... aka apple insider
Macrumors collects the rumors from everyone else, and get their own sometimes.
Still the best site around

haravikk
Oct 2, 2009, 10:27 AM
Why? At the time they were great little mice. Compact, tracked really well (though subject to the usual ball-mouse issues with dirt), and very easy to move quickly and precisely. They were ideal for casual use, with an all-in-one desktop Mac like the G3 iMac at the time. Coupled with the neat keyboard it was a great all-round package for the time.

The people that didn't like the mouse or the keyboard were power users who were using an iMac for more than just browsing etc (which is what it was intended for), or people who bought the PowerMac G3 and were quite rightly unhappy to have a stupid keyboard and mouse for the tasks they wanted to perform.

To date the G3 puck mouse, when properly clean, is my favourite all time mouse for playing a first-person shooter, I was unstoppable with that thing playing Unreal Tournament on my G3 iMac :D

rtdunham
Oct 2, 2009, 10:30 AM
When i read this report, i see the description of a touchpad, not of what we've traditionally thought of as a mouse. Am I missing something? Aren't we talking about a touchpad that replaces mouse functionality?

ltcol266845
Oct 2, 2009, 10:37 AM
A MORE slender form factor?! So dumb. I'll just stick to my Logitech mice.

gr81mgbgt
Oct 2, 2009, 10:43 AM
Do you guys think these will ship with the new imacs?

scubasteve03
Oct 2, 2009, 10:44 AM
I just returned my BT MM after having it for 5 days. I just bought the new Logitech MX Anywhere. It's amazing, it works on any surface and has 100% mac compatibility. I hope I dont regret spending $100 on this mouse, but so far its perfect! No multitouch though...

Tomacorno
Oct 2, 2009, 10:45 AM
This reminds me of an article in MacWorld (I think) from July '08 where they speculated on upcoming products based on Apple patent applications. One of their ideas was touchscreen keyboards. I won't speak to the feel of typing on a flat screen instead of mechanical keys - I think I would get used to it. However, one thing that was cool was keys changing in response to input or application. So, for example, press the control key and the keys change from the letter to whatever the key combination makes it. Or having the F keys labeled with their appropriate function depending on the application you were working in. They had examples of a keyboard that was World of Warcraft specific in response to playing the game. Finally, the space on the right could be numbers or a gesture pad or a tablet - whatever you need it to be depending on what you were working on.

This was based on actual vague patent applications so, that is like science, right?

Kar98
Oct 2, 2009, 10:48 AM
The mouse that owns them all:

http://images.acco.com/KENSINGTON/K72286USA/K72286USA-18119.jpg

Frosties
I for one think the mouse will come in black to match the black screens. Using a touch mouse will mean that you can't leave your hand on it so that behavior needs to be unlearned. A touch control is not the best tech for a mouse in my opinion but it would be a cool mouse to test out.

:Rob:
'nough said.

danvdr
Oct 2, 2009, 10:51 AM
I'm predicting a big Apple release day of Oct. 20--the Tuesday before Windoze 7 comes out.(13th or 16th would be other possibilities) There are strong rumors for a new Mini, iMac, MacBook and now a new mouse(pad). Seems like a way for Apple to diffuse all the "house party" excitement of the W-7 release.

We may even see a G5 powerbook :D

Stratoukos
Oct 2, 2009, 10:55 AM
Sounds sweet, but it has to go a long way before replacing my Logitech MX Revolution.

It has 8 button and an analog vertical wheel plus regular horizontal scrolling and all of them mappable per application basis. I have mapped all exposť features, spaces and dashboard for regular use and I have some rules for other applications (eg games, middle click for maya). Best 70€ ever spent.

AidenShaw
Oct 2, 2009, 10:55 AM
Seems like a way for Apple to diffuse all the "house party" excitement of the W-7 release.

It's also a good way to have your announcement overshadowed by the other event.

Unless, the big announcement is on 22 October, and the announcement is that you can buy Imacs and MacBooks with Windows 7 instead of OSX !! :eek:

sishaw
Oct 2, 2009, 11:04 AM
I hate to be the naysayer--I'm usually a huge fan of Apple's designs and products--but I'm beginning to wonder about whether it may be over-complicating things when it comes to mice.

Apple has a very odd relationship with the mouse. First, it (arguably) invented it, at least in respect to its use for the personal computer. Then for years Apple refused to adopt the industry-wide improvement of more than one mouse button. Then it brings us the rather counterintuitive and peculiar Mighty Mouse, oddly trying to incorporate multi-button function with a one-button whole-mouse click.

I just think Apple may be on the wrong track with these overly wrought mouse designs.

I'd be happy to be proven wrong, of course!

WestonHarvey1
Oct 2, 2009, 11:07 AM
So why didn't you just buy one of the battery chargers that can charge 4 or 8 at a time and keep the spares charged? Or use better batteries? :confused:

How about eventually replacing Bluetooth with some new standard for low-speed peripherals? My Mighty Mouse lasts about 2 weeks on 2AAs. My Microsoft wireless mouse lasts 6, 9, or 12 MONTHS depending on the batteries I use.

If you think that's stupid, wouldn't it at least be the "green" thing to do? Come on, feel the green.

ipoppy
Oct 2, 2009, 11:10 AM
Roller ball sux big time. Cleaned few times and still unresponsive the way like it should. Ya, its time for a big change in that department.

ColeSQ
Oct 2, 2009, 11:14 AM
The remote and the mouse are going to be the exact same thing. Anyone using the iPhone Remote app is pretty much already using the same thing they'll be getting with this change.

randyg
Oct 2, 2009, 11:22 AM
"retain the clear plastic shell of the existing Mighty Mouse"! I've never seen a Mighty Mouse with a clear plastic shell! Wired or BT. What am I missing here?

MadCow42
Oct 2, 2009, 11:25 AM

Back in the 80's my brother worked at a computer shop (Amiga, Atari, etc.). They had one of their first shipments of computer mice held up at the border because the packing slip read:

"12 mice with teflon balls"

It took DAYS and many calls to explain that one to customs. :)

(yes, it's a true story! I was there!)

dgalvan123
Oct 2, 2009, 11:25 AM
How about eventually replacing Bluetooth with some new standard for low-speed peripherals? My Mighty Mouse lasts about 2 weeks on 2AAs. My Microsoft wireless mouse lasts 6, 9, or 12 MONTHS depending on the batteries I use.

I've used a wireless mighty mouse at work for 4 months now, and have not needed to change the batteries. (I do use the switch to turn the mouse "off" when I leave for the day.)

That said the trackball is poorly designed, since you can't easily remove it to clean it. It helps to turn the mouse over and roll the trackball on a piece of paper, but within a week or so the problem returns. Also, sometimes I try to left-click, but am doing it too close to the center of the mouse, so it interprets it as a right-click. The difficult to clean trackball and the decision to avoid using two physically separate buttons were bad decisions by Apple.

arkitect
Oct 2, 2009, 11:26 AM
"retain the clear plastic shell of the old Apple Mouse"! I've never seen a Mighty Mouse with a clear plastic shell! Wired or BT. What am I missing here?
Fixed. ;)

I think they meant the old Apple mouse with a clear casing.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/4f/Apple_mouse_Pro_black.jpg/499px-Apple_mouse_Pro_black.jpg

happydude
Oct 2, 2009, 11:28 AM
any word on if this will be backward compatible with existing machines? to ditch that gunk filled roller ball mighty mouse would be a dream!!

MadCow42
Oct 2, 2009, 11:28 AM
The remote and the mouse are going to be the exact same thing. Anyone using the iPhone Remote app is pretty much already using the same thing they'll be getting with this change.

Actually, that might make a good app: with the camera on the back of an iPhone (or nano, or future Touch), you could theoretically use it as a mouse. Use the screen/wheel as a click, and connect over bluetooth or wifi, and Bob's your Uncle.

Even an out-of-focus image would be easy to use to tell directional movement of the phone - as long as there was a little bit of light getting under.

(I'm not saying this is their plan, just that it's pretty trivial to do if it were useful)

GQB
Oct 2, 2009, 11:29 AM
I've been using my iPhone with the Air Mouse app as a trackpad for a bit now, and really love it.
Since iPhone and Mighty Mouse are both hooked up, I find that I instinctively reach for the mouse some times, and occasionally, the mouse feels a bit more accurate than using a track pad.
I'm not sure if I'd prefer the combo track/mouse described here or just a multi-touch trackpad.
No reason they can't supply both.

The downside to using the iPhone with Air Mouse is that the lighting means battery drain unless its on USB, and a dedicated multi-touch trackpad wouldn't need lighting.

But I am looking forward to getting rid of my gunked up Mighty Mouse.

GQB
Oct 2, 2009, 11:32 AM

If you have an iPhone or touch, try out Air Mouse.
You need to tether it with USB and turn off sleep, but it works really well.

thibaulthalpern
Oct 2, 2009, 11:33 AM

Well, to be fair, they are a rumours website so what do you expect? They repeat what they hear on the grapevine, which in this case happens to be AppleInsider ;-) ;-)

LOL

Takeo
Oct 2, 2009, 11:34 AM
The puck was my favourite single-button mouse too.

Ya... it was SOOO awesome when you'd go to mouse across the screen horizontally and the pointer would shoot off diagonally. Nothing better.

Takeo
Oct 2, 2009, 11:38 AM
A MORE slender form factor?! So dumb. I'll just stick to my Logitech mice.

No kidding. That's one of my biggest issues with the current mouse... way too slim... doesn't go up into the palm at all.

I hate to say it... but I LOVE my Microsoft Laser 7000 mouse. Best mouse I have ever owned. Hands down. It has a better shape and lighter weight than the Logitech MX Revolution. Plus I've never had a Logitech mouse last much longer than a year. Very poor quality. I haven't used an Apple mouse since the ADB II. That's the last good mouse Apple ever made.

dernhelm
Oct 2, 2009, 11:44 AM
About time, the Mighty Mouse is one of the worse Apple products ever. I can't stand that stupid tracking ball, that immediately clogs up and is impossible to clean.

A-M-E-N

Mighty Mouse == FAIL.

I would say epic fail, but that's just soooooo overused.

If they make "yet another mouse" I sure hope they get it right this time. I don't know why they can seem to, but the sure 'nuf can't.

Manderby
Oct 2, 2009, 11:44 AM
I can already hear: The new mighty mouse, now with no buttons at all!

If they really do a touchy mouse, they should include an option when ordering computers whether to get this mouse or a 3rd-party-product. Because I don't like the touch-concept at all. Make buttons and I'm happy. Note the s at the end of button!

The keyboard is gigantically great! Why can't the mouse be like that? Scrolling in two dimensions was a great novum. I don't want to miss that. Squeezing is also a nice thing but just a nice-to-have. But regarding everything else, Apple just did not designed a great mouse.

One word: ButtonS!!!

(yes I know, there is right- and middle-click, but I'm thinking of physically separated buttons)

talkingfuture
Oct 2, 2009, 11:47 AM
Engadget have some pics via the FCC

http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/02/new-apple-bluetooth-keyboard-arrives-at-the-fcc-new-mouse-rumor/

New Keyboard too!

iMJustAGuy
Oct 2, 2009, 11:48 AM
Actually, that might make a good app: with the camera on the back of an iPhone (or nano, or future Touch), you could theoretically use it as a mouse. Use the screen/wheel as a click, and connect over bluetooth or wifi, and Bob's your Uncle.

Even an out-of-focus image would be easy to use to tell directional movement of the phone - as long as there was a little bit of light getting under.

(I'm not saying this is their plan, just that it's pretty trivial to do if it were useful)

I am not using my iPhone as a mouse.

Takeo
Oct 2, 2009, 11:48 AM
One word: ButtonS!!!

No kidding. And maybe don't make the entire thing one big button. It makes the mouse difficult to lift and reposition while clicked. You have to seek out those two tiny little pads on the side and make sure you're fingers are positioned just right... and hope you don't squeeze them too hard to trigger an unwanted "squeeze" action. Seriously. Apple hasn't designed a good mouse in over a decade.

aresinferno
Oct 2, 2009, 11:49 AM
If you have an iPhone or touch, try out Air Mouse.
You need to tether it with USB and turn off sleep, but it works really well.

I have that application on my 3GS and I also have a trackpad on my uMBP. I don't want to tether it with USB and I know that when using it wirelessly, it drains the phone battery and isn't as responsive as my trackpad.

I would prefer to have a dedicated blue-tooth wire-less button-less multi-touch track-pad that feels like the one on my MBP. I am not often in a position where I can use a mouse and I do not like trackballs.

AAPLaday
Oct 2, 2009, 11:50 AM
Seems funny really, Microsoft and Logitech seem to be able to spit out fantastic mice almost every time but Apple has left us with the same lacklustre design for so long. :rolleyes:

PeterQVenkman
Oct 2, 2009, 11:50 AM
The mouse is one of the best simple inventions of all time.

And yet, it can be horribly inefficient and contribute to musculoskeletal problems.

The significant rise of hand, wrist, and elbow RSI and carpel tunnel syndrome can be mostly attributed to the venerable computer mouse.

iMJustAGuy
Oct 2, 2009, 11:51 AM
Engadget have some pics via the FCC

http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/02/new-apple-bluetooth-keyboard-arrives-at-the-fcc-new-mouse-rumor/

New Keyboard too!

AN EVEN SMALLER KEYBOARD!!!! OH, HELL NO.

Takeo
Oct 2, 2009, 11:52 AM
I found a spy photo of the new Apple Mighty Mouse! It combines the amazing mono-button of the current mouse with the retro styling of the puck! Whoa!

http://www.nikibrown.com/designoblog/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/easy-button.jpg

MadCow42
Oct 2, 2009, 11:54 AM
Ya... it was SOOO awesome when you'd go to mouse across the screen horizontally and the pointer would shoot off diagonally. Nothing better.

Yep... I'm always amazed that such an innovative company with amazing industrial design talents and intuitive User Interface skills could consistently create such crap-tastic mice.

They've been mousing longer than just about anyone... yet they're clearly the worst at it.

I'd guess that well less than 1/2 of the Macs out there are still using Apple mice. I have 3 brand-new Apple mice in my drawer because I refuse to use them now.

Takeo
Oct 2, 2009, 11:55 AM
And yet, it can be horribly inefficient and contribute to musculoskeletal problems.

The significant rise of hand, wrist, and elbow RSI and carpel tunnel syndrome can be mostly attributed to the venerable computer mouse.

I don't doubt that this is an issue for some people of course. It's a fact. By anecdotally speaking anyway... I've been using regular ol' mice for over 15 years... for hours a day... and I've never developed any issues at all. If you do have issues though and aren't keen on going the trackball route... the Microsoft Natural Mouse is one to look at. It keeps your wrist at a natural angle.

MadCow42
Oct 2, 2009, 11:56 AM
I am not using my iPhone as a mouse.

Not even for your MacTablet or MacBook? Sure, on your desktop it doesn't make sense, but while traveling it's something you have with you, and often it's easier to use an external mouse for some types of uses.

I'd suggest a case though, so you don't scratch up your phone too bad - and gel probably would suck. :)

iMJustAGuy
Oct 2, 2009, 12:02 PM
Not even for your MacTablet or MacBook? Sure, on your desktop it doesn't make sense, but while traveling it's something you have with you, and often it's easier to use an external mouse for some types of uses.

I'd suggest a case though, so you don't scratch up your phone too bad - and gel probably would suck. :)

The actual functionality of it might work (and be cool) but my battery blows hard enough, this would be like a power leech!
And I would DEFINITELY need a case but miPhone is too sexy to wear clothes, I like it naked.

BigJohno
Oct 2, 2009, 12:05 PM
This would be a nice update. I can't tell you how many mouses I went through because the roller ball got all filled with gunk.

Lesser Evets
Oct 2, 2009, 12:06 PM
Apple designs a LOT of good stuff. They're really quite impressive... their mice suck.

1) Stop moving the hand
2) Give 5 buttons
3) Just design something like the MS thumbball device, since it trumps everything else, though it isn't produced anymore.

I understand they want something that looks streamline and seductive, but they need to work on making something ultra-functional.

spritelyjim
Oct 2, 2009, 12:24 PM
Yep... I'm always amazed that such an innovative company with amazing industrial design talents and intuitive User Interface skills could consistently create such crap-tastic mice.

The problem comes when Apple tries too hard to not be like a PC. Remember how long it took for Apple to get context sensitive menus? It seems they didn't want to be accused of copying MS. They were really handy once Apple finally gave in, though. Well, I think this mouse issue is even worse than that. Because Apple has yet to find a good Apple-only way to implement a 2-button mouse, instead of just using a frickin' normal 2-button mouse, they seem to feel they must resort to really crappy Apple-only solutions to be different. Perhaps the touch-mouse will finally redeem them. Until then, whenever I buy a new computer I just hand my Mighty Mouse to my 2-year-old son to play with and plug in a Logitech.

jonnysods
Oct 2, 2009, 12:30 PM
I'm sure someone has already suggested it, but perhaps get rid of a physical mouse altogether, and create a keyboard that has a gap in the middle for a glass trackpad?

Do you remember those old Microsoft keyboards that had the keys on different angles for your hand/wrist comfort? Make the gap a little smaller and put the trackpad there. I reckon that would be pretty cool.

A little weird, but cool.

GQB
Oct 2, 2009, 12:31 PM
3) Just design something like the MS thumbball device, since it trumps everything else, though it isn't produced anymore.

wow... the demand for it was apparently so overwhelming that it blew up the manufacturing facility?

asrai
Oct 2, 2009, 12:41 PM
Mighty Mouse == FAIL.

I would say epic fail, but that's just soooooo overused.

Ya like FAIL hasn't been.... :rolleyes:

saulbug
Oct 2, 2009, 12:42 PM
the existing Mighty Mouse has a clear plastic shell?

iberroa
Oct 2, 2009, 12:52 PM
Why wouldn't Apple just come out with a Trackpad that sits on your desk. I think the age of the Mouse is over. Just put a trackpad on my desk and i'll treat it like i do my MacBook Pro. :apple:

spritelyjim
Oct 2, 2009, 12:52 PM
I'm sure someone has already suggested it, but perhaps get rid of a physical mouse altogether, and create a keyboard that has a gap in the middle for a glass trackpad?

Do you remember those old Microsoft keyboards that had the keys on different angles for your hand/wrist comfort? Make the gap a little smaller and put the trackpad there. I reckon that would be pretty cool.

I still don't see how one can see a trackpad as a full replacement for a mouse, unless the only things you do are web-surfing and world-processing. Even when I'm just doing those things I get annoyed with a trackpad, especially when a small flick of the mouse with get me there faster.

PeterQVenkman
Oct 2, 2009, 12:53 PM
I don't doubt that this is an issue for some people of course. It's a fact. By anecdotally speaking anyway... I've been using regular ol' mice for over 15 years... for hours a day... and I've never developed any issues at all. If you do have issues though and aren't keen on going the trackball route... the Microsoft Natural Mouse is one to look at. It keeps your wrist at a natural angle.

Yeah, I'm one of the "lucky" ones. I can't even use a mouse anymore- it's a tablet or nothing.

QCassidy352
Oct 2, 2009, 01:00 PM
hmm. I'm intrigued - but I'll definitely wait to hear some reports before jumping on this one. Could be very good or a real mess, depending on how well it's done.

KurtangleTN
Oct 2, 2009, 01:12 PM
For the love of god please just add separate left and right click sensors.

To those wanting a trackpad keyboard combo, there are things like that, might not be from Apple but I know logitech makes them.

MrBean
Oct 2, 2009, 01:15 PM

What is people's issues with trackpads. They suck. There is a reason that micro mice made for laptops make a lot of money. Cause even people who use a laptop most of the time, still want a mouse.

You couldn't pay me to do all the work I do in photoshop with only a friggen trackpad.

LagunaSol
Oct 2, 2009, 02:12 PM
How Apple can make such great stuff as the iPhone/iPod yet stick with turds like the Mighty Mouse year after year after year is baffling.

Even more baffling is their blatant disregard for the obvious - like giving us a wireless keyboard with a number pad. Seriously, is it that hard??? Why should I have to choose between wireless and number pad?

Frustrating.

SactoGuy18
Oct 2, 2009, 02:46 PM
Sorry, no deal for me! Why can't Apple offer something really good like the new Logitech M500 mouse pointer:

http://www.gadgetfolder.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/logitech-m500-mouse-2-295x300.jpg

Kar98
Oct 2, 2009, 02:51 PM
Seriously. Apple hasn't designed a good mouse in over a decade.

Or "ever". Seriously.

shaunymac
Oct 2, 2009, 03:30 PM

I have both the original wireless keyboard and mighty mouse. The provided batteries, which I believe were lithium or something, lasted me a few months. When those finally died, I switched them out to my rechargeables that used to be in my flashes. I just checked the battery level. I'm right at 45% on both keyboard and mouse and they have been in there for at least a month. I would say that is pretty good.

As far as the new mouse goes, is it just me or was I the only person experimenting with gestures on my mighty mouse to see how they would work? I think this could be something good. I may be one of the few that has a trackball that actually works after months and months of use but these new gestures do sound interesting.

shaunymac
Oct 2, 2009, 03:34 PM
Sorry, no deal for me! Why can't Apple offer something really good like the new Logitech M500 mouse pointer:

http://www.gadgetfolder.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/logitech-m500-mouse-2-295x300.jpg

That is hideous! That is why apple doesn't offer it. I couldn't imagine that sitting on my desk with my cinema display and macbook. Barf!

Or "ever". Seriously.

The "mighty mouse" is very functional and it allows left and right-handed people to use it. I have never understood all the hate? It's a mouse. If you want something spectacular, get a wacom.

brad.c
Oct 2, 2009, 03:40 PM
The mouse that owns them all:

http://images.acco.com/KENSINGTON/K72286USA/K72286USA-18119.jpg

Not unless that's a complementary flash drive, and not a USB RF jack. I'll take a BT device and save the USB ports, TYVM.

What is people's issues with trackpads. They suck. There is a reason that micro mice made for laptops make a lot of money. Cause even people who use a laptop most of the time, still want a mouse.

You couldn't pay me to do all the work I do in photoshop with only a friggen trackpad.

The suck with Trackpads is the centre placement. I would take a separate trackpad, or mouse/multitouch surface combo any day.

shaunymac
Oct 2, 2009, 03:40 PM
For the love of god please just add separate left and right click sensors.

To those wanting a trackpad keyboard combo, there are things like that, might not be from Apple but I know logitech makes them.

While it may sound like you already know this, there are separate sensors within the mighty mouse that senses both left and right clicking. It is actually really effective. I know this because I get on unfamiliar macs and I find myself having to turn the feature off in system preferences.

I guess I use the whole mouse to click. I have truly adopted the apple way of clicking.

For those of you that didn't know that the mighty mouse was capable of that, it is a very nice feature. I will continue grabbing my keyboard and pressing control.

acslater017
Oct 2, 2009, 03:41 PM
bout damn time. i been sayin they shoulda done this since the original mighty mouse came out. the track ball they have now is a joke. mine only worked for the first month i owned the thing and its my 3rd one after sending a few back:mad:

Really? The trackball is my favorite part of the Mighty Mouse! I find myself trying to scroll horizontally on my friends' computers, only to be disappointed. It does get dirty once in awhile though, but maybe like once a month or so. I've had mine for over three years and it's still working great! :)

Multitouch gestures would be great though.

RazHyena
Oct 2, 2009, 03:47 PM
Dear Apple,

Please make a cool Mighty Mouse that doesn't completely suck like the current ones.

Love,
Raz. :D

stainlessliquid
Oct 2, 2009, 03:52 PM
I dont know why people are getting excited. Its not like Apple only messed up their mouse a couple of times, theyve never made a good mouse because they want to reinvent the wheel. Im eager to see this new mouse but only because Im eager to see how bad its going to be. Its practically guaranteed that this mouse will suck.

The Samurai
Oct 2, 2009, 04:52 PM
If they're "still working" on this new MightyMouse - I can't see them finalising the product within this month and then the whole logistical aspect to it... which ofcourse conflicts with reports that new iMacs are in the process of being refreshed really soon.

TheWatchfulOne
Oct 2, 2009, 05:17 PM

Excuse me, sir, but your mouse is ringing. Don't you think you should answer it?:D

Buzz Bumble
Oct 2, 2009, 05:50 PM
A touch-sentive mouse. Give me a break. The silly extra buttons on the Mighty Mouse are bad enough (especially the squeeze one!). You are supposed to hold a mouse, and you can't do that without touching it. :rolleyes:

Steve Ballmer
Oct 2, 2009, 06:18 PM
The Mighty Mouse, in its current incarnation, is awful. Not so much the way the mouse works in of itself but the fact that the scroll ball accumulates a large amount of dust, dirt and other debris and cannot be easily cleaned without literally breaking the mouse open and cleaning the inside.

I'd like the new Mighty Mouse to perhaps be of an aluminum build and also allow for it to be opened and easily cleaned, unless the lack of a scroll ball means no debris of any kind can get inside the mouse.

Steve Ballmer
Oct 2, 2009, 06:19 PM
Really? The trackball is my favorite part of the Mighty Mouse! I find myself trying to scroll horizontally on my friends' computers, only to be disappointed. It does get dirty once in awhile though, but maybe like once a month or so. I've had mine for over three years and it's still working great! :)

Multitouch gestures would be great though.
Well, most people don't dislike the scroll ball, they dislike that the gasket around it seems to be a magnet for dust and dirt that can clog up the scroll ball's tracks and thus keep it from working at all.

Also, almost every mouse built by Microsoft, Logitech and others now feature scroll wheels that can be "tilted" left and right, allowing for horizontal scrolling.

I've had two Mighty Mouse and both quit scrolling after about two months.

Steve Ballmer
Oct 2, 2009, 06:23 PM
That is hideous! That is why apple doesn't offer it. I couldn't imagine that sitting on my desk with my cinema display and macbook. Barf!

Well, maybe it's not quite as streamlined as the Mighty Mouse, but it's also considerably more functional. I have much more faith in Logitech mice than I do with Apple mice.

The "mighty mouse" is very functional and it allows left and right-handed people to use it. I have never understood all the hate? It's a mouse. If you want something spectacular, get a wacom.
There are many, many mice on the market that are built for ambidextrous use. There were mice built back in the 1980s that cater to left- and right-handers.

The Mighty Mouse is functional, but only for basic computer operations, and there's certainly nothing wrong with that. But it would never be used by, say, gamers or people who like being able to completely reprogram every button the mouse. (You can do this with the Mighty Mouse, but it has only a total of four buttons. Most people who like to program mice buttons usually work with a minimum of five buttons.)

Steve Ballmer
Oct 2, 2009, 06:25 PM
Why wouldn't Apple just come out with a Trackpad that sits on your desk. I think the age of the Mouse is over. Just put a trackpad on my desk and i'll treat it like i do my MacBook Pro. :apple:
If people wanted trackpads to replace mice, then they'd already be on the market.

The reason they aren't is because the vast majority of people do not like trackpads. They prefer mice. And until the entire GUI desktop metaphor changes, the addiction to computer mice won't.

twoodcc
Oct 2, 2009, 06:48 PM
well this sounds pretty good. but will the price go up? and will it work with windows or pcs?

MartiNZ
Oct 2, 2009, 07:22 PM
Wow. SOO much hate for the MightyMouse. I love my Bluetooth one; I've never had any issues with the scrollball and only when I move it too close to my MBP, which hangs over it on a low platform ... a phonebook in fact ... do I ever have problems with wrong-side clicking.

It is the most comfortable mouse I use regularly, and it has the best weight distribution, no doubt helped by the batteries as well; others that I use I often somehow manage to flip over, I still haven't worked that out ... but never with the MightyMouse.

The additional 'squeeze' button is a bit inconvenient, but I don't ever feel that I'm missing buttons. I don't get all the negativity, and I remember threads where people raved about them ... is this just because something new is coming?

trang101
Oct 2, 2009, 07:40 PM
Thank you, this is good news for other visitors

spillproof
Oct 2, 2009, 08:24 PM
As much as I like the multi-touch trackpad on my MBP, I still find it easier to use a mouse. I can't wait to see what they come out with, as my current MM has a serverly worn out bottom that is beginning to scratch my desk. I move around to much to have a mouse pad.

Buzz Bumble
Oct 2, 2009, 09:25 PM
The Mighty Mouse is functional, but only for basic computer operations, and there's certainly nothing wrong with that. But it would never be used by, say, gamers or people who like being able to completely reprogram every button the mouse. (You can do this with the Mighty Mouse, but it has only a total of four buttons. Most people who like to program mice buttons usually work with a minimum of five buttons.)

Those people can of course go and buy a mouse that suits their needs. There's no point in Apple including an expensive mouse that only 2% of users actaully want or need.

Apple ships a mouse that suits the majority of people. Most users don't want 50 buttons, six scrollwheels / balls, four touchpads, etc. In fact most "average" users barely ever even know what the second button is for under Windows, let alone actually need one on their Macs. More than two buttons is largely pointless.

CQd44
Oct 2, 2009, 11:41 PM
Those people can of course go and buy a mouse that suits their needs. There's no point in Apple including an expensive mouse that only 2% of users actaully want or need.

Apple ships a mouse that suits the majority of people. Most users don't want 50 buttons, six scrollwheels / balls, four touchpads, etc. In fact most "average" users barely ever even know what the second button is for under Windows, let alone actually need one on their Macs. More than two buttons is largely pointless.

As if the mighty mouse isn't expensive.

I <3 my logitech laser mouse. Four buttons + a scroll wheel that clicks and scrolls in four directions. It's also wired so I never have to worry about batteries.

SmugMac
Oct 2, 2009, 11:45 PM
After reading this thread, I really feel excited about a new Apple Mouse.

Will Apple still call it a Mighty Mouse? I wonder if the name will change.
As long as it's better than the current Mighty Mouse and Apple solves the scroller problems - I'll buy three! The current Mighty Mice I have are getting a bit funky with the scroller.

ezekielrage_99
Oct 3, 2009, 12:19 AM
Maybe Apple will make a non-crap mouse for once...

Rampant.A.I.
Oct 3, 2009, 02:58 AM

I think you're overstating a little. One of the major problems the majority of Windows users had with macs was the lack of a right-click button.

It should have been implemented a long time ago, with control clicks. Right-clicking is a very basic feature, a lot of applications use it.

Sometimes Apple can be very backward when they think they're being "progressive" and "different."

MorphingDragon
Oct 3, 2009, 05:27 AM
Maybe Apple will make a non-crap mouse for once...

Good joke, Apple hasn't made a decent mouse since SJ made a "triumphant" return. (Those Ovalish Mice were so nice to use)

Bubba Satori
Oct 3, 2009, 07:51 AM
Wow, the excitement is really building.

zw-gator
Oct 3, 2009, 08:28 AM
My prediction:

Multi-touch mouse (which will be a failure), the ability to track on a glass surface and longer battery life.

Looks wise it will be about the same as the old one.

Mr. Wonderful
Oct 3, 2009, 09:16 AM
If people wanted trackpads to replace mice, then they'd already be on the market.

The reason they aren't is because the vast majority of people do not like trackpads. They prefer mice. And until the entire GUI desktop metaphor changes, the addiction to computer mice won't.
To add to this discussion, my biggest problem with trackpads is that the way you have to position your fingers on them is uncomfortable. The second issue I have, and this is maybe even a larger problem, is that they don't even compare in precision to a standard mouse. Try working with precision-required apps like Photoshop with a trackpad. Yes, you can do it, but it's so much easier and more precise when using a mouse.

xlii
Oct 3, 2009, 02:42 PM
We import a lot of things! :p

Like our secrets!

robogobo
Oct 3, 2009, 03:20 PM
I have three Mighty Mouses on three different machines, and I've always loved them. You need to search all of three seconds for dozens of simple cleaning techniques, the best being a hard press and roll in all directions. I only need to do it once a month. Never any problems. You guys need to stop eating cheetos while mousing.

AAPLaday
Oct 3, 2009, 03:23 PM
I have three Mighty Mouses on three different machines, and I've always loved them. You need to search all of three seconds for dozens of simple cleaning techniques, the best being a hard press and roll in all directions. I only need to do it once a month. Never any problems. You guys need to stop eating cheetos while mousing.

Or you could use a logitech and eat a whole crate of cheetos and still have a fully functioning mouse ;)

Qwertylizer
Oct 3, 2009, 03:25 PM
My Mighty Mouse has never worked like it should. I'm so waiting this new mouse to come. :rolleyes: We'll see if that new touch-sensitive mouse really works in the end.

Ginseng
Oct 3, 2009, 03:55 PM
My two cents.

I've used a USB MM with my laptops since 2004 and, functionally, it is exactly what I need. I work primarily with MS Office, FinalCut, iMovie, and a few diagramming and image editing programs and the button and scrolling capabilities allow me to be satisfyingly productive. My only beef has been the ball, which gets dirty and has resulted in two device failures. And that's after taking them apart, disassembling the ball and roller setup and cleaning it. And yeah, my hands are clean and I give it the wipe, roll, and clean periodically.

As for the trackpad, I think it works well and the only knock against it is the anti-ergonomic center placement. Using it for even 30 minutes induces an unacceptable level of strain on the wrists. As a righty, a far better location would be right of center, just about under my palm.

A new mouse with a non-rolling touch control nipple replacement for the ball would be a perfect evolution for the way I use a mouse. As for metal versus plastic, I couldn't imagine it making a difference.

MorphingDragon
Oct 3, 2009, 06:24 PM

Its only cause you're looking at it in an odd angle. Logitech mice look quite nice IMO, apart from the Revolution and their G9.

While it may sound like you already know this, there are separate sensors within the mighty mouse that senses both left and right clicking. It is actually really effective. I know this because I get on unfamiliar macs and I find myself having to turn the feature off in system preferences.

I'd hardly call having to lift my left finger off the mouse to right click is a good implementation.

Buzz Bumble
Oct 3, 2009, 11:59 PM
I think you're overstating a little. One of the major problems the majority of Windows users had with macs was the lack of a right-click button.

It should have been implemented a long time ago, with control clicks. Right-clicking is a very basic feature, a lot of applications use it.

Sometimes Apple can be very backward when they think they're being "progressive" and "different."

I help a lot of people (both home and business users) with their Macs as well as a couple of people still stuck in Windows world, and I can't think of a single one of them who actually uses the right mouse button. :)

Mbohanan
Oct 4, 2009, 04:52 AM
All the inconvenience of a trackpad, but in your mouse!

crhudy1985
Oct 6, 2009, 01:21 PM
I am not really understanding the aversion to the new rumored design. I am assuming there will be at least one button (like the mbp touchpad) and that the basic movement of the cursor will be controlled by the movement of the mouse and not fingers on the surface of the mouse (unless modified). I think the mutitouch will be incorporated for scrolling (movement with two fingers) and maybe expose with multiple fingers. However, I am sure all of this will be adjustable in the your settings profile.

I am actually really excited for this if the rumors are true. But that is coming from someone who loves my macbook touchpad and gets frustrated when I use my Dell notebook.

CQd44
Oct 7, 2009, 06:25 PM
All the inconvenience of a trackpad, but in your mouse!

here here!

oTaRu
Oct 8, 2009, 07:49 AM
recently saw how m$ prototype multi touch mouse perform, wonder how apple going to answer this...

http://asia.cnet.com/crave/2009/10/06/microsoft-adds-touch-to-mouse-prototypes/?scid=nl_c_pp

danvdr
Oct 20, 2009, 03:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by danvdr
I'm predicting a big Apple release day of Oct. 20--the Tuesday before Windoze 7 comes out.(13th or 16th would be other possibilities) There are strong rumors for a new Mini, iMac, MacBook and now a new mouse(pad). Seems like a way for Apple to diffuse all the "house party" excitement of the W-7 release.

Originally Posted by AidenShaw
It's also a good way to have your announcement overshadowed by the other event.

Unless, the big announcement is on 22 October, and the announcement is that you can buy Imacs and MacBooks with Windows 7 instead of OSX !!