PDA

View Full Version : Just got a cheap iBook.

pvmacguy
Oct 2, 2009, 11:18 AM
So I just bought an iBook for really cheap off craiglist and it has a little issue. The HDD was just replaced because the original failed. Upon booting it fully booted and then on the desktop it blacked out. Held power button down and booted again. Ran for 5 minutes then went black. I have reset the pram nvram and pmu but hasn't seemed to do it much good. Any ideas? Im thinking the logics on its way out.

pvmacguy
Oct 2, 2009, 03:45 PM
Well, I think I have it settled. The battery seems to be the culprit as to why the screen would just randomly go gray. I have been running it without the battery and it seems to be fine. It has only done it once while running without the battery but I was really taxing this little thing running like 6 or 7 applications see what it could handle.

pvmacguy
Oct 3, 2009, 07:43 AM
Well the logic board has failed on the little machine but I was able to pick up another one on ebay for 75 bucks tested working. :)

MultiFinder17
Oct 3, 2009, 05:47 PM
It was more than likely the GPU - the iBooks had issues with the GPUs actually coming off the lobo.

pvmacguy
Oct 4, 2009, 09:25 PM
Oh wow! Well I prepped the ibook today to get ready for the new logo board but found the metal frame was compeletely cracked in 6 different places and was also missing many screws from a previous botch repair job. :mad:

pvmacguy
Oct 6, 2009, 10:22 PM
So I'm waiting on the logic board to come in, I plan on using thermal paste on the processor etc. I know less is always best so I plan on going really easy with the stuff. Any other tips you guys have?

KielderWolf
Oct 6, 2009, 10:39 PM
Brace the cracked case. Internal integrity will prevent things working loose. You're right about the paste, use it sparingly. Also, as I have found from replacing a Toshiba laptop's HDD, double-sided tape does not solve the issue of missing screws.

Also, check the health of the power brick. Make sure it's not getting overly hot. Dad's brick seemed fine, just a little more warm then average, for about a month before it failed.

pvmacguy
Oct 7, 2009, 07:31 AM
Brace the cracked case. Internal integrity will prevent things working loose. You're right about the paste, use it sparingly. Also, as I have found from replacing a Toshiba laptop's HDD, double-sided tape does not solve the issue of missing screws.

Also, check the health of the power brick. Make sure it's not getting overly hot. Dad's brick seemed fine, just a little more warm then average, for about a month before it failed.

Thanks for the reply. :) I did order a whole new metal chassi so those cracks won't be a problem anymore. And also a
whole new screw set for the missing ones. For the thermal paste right
to the bottom of the CPU there is large
black chip, should I put a small amount on and
spread to cover the entire chip or put a small amount on and spread it out a little?

molala
Oct 7, 2009, 07:34 AM
wow! how much is this iBook now costing you? good on you for being dedicated, i hope it performs as you expect.

pvmacguy
Oct 7, 2009, 07:39 AM
It'll cost me about $166 bucks... And it will be fine for the gf because she just facebook's and does school work.

KielderWolf
Oct 7, 2009, 09:03 AM
Try to keep the paste off the pins of the chip, keep it to the plastic surface.

pvmacguy
Oct 7, 2009, 12:03 PM
So I should apply the paste where the arrows are pointing and spread it out to cover? On the processor, should it cover the silver metal part or the whole thing? Just double checking things. :)

KielderWolf
Oct 8, 2009, 07:46 PM
On the processor, only on the silver bit, it'll be most efficient. Everywhere else, apply cautiously and spread evenly over the chips, being care not to get too much if any paste onto the processor board.

pvmacguy
Oct 8, 2009, 07:50 PM
Thank you! :) Got the new logic board in and everything speeds to be good, trying to install leopard through an upgrade disk from 10.4 but it hangs and stops don't know whats going on...

KielderWolf
Oct 8, 2009, 08:10 PM
Can you identify which generation of iBook it is?

Models identified as "PowerBook4,3" and earlier cannot run Leopard (that is, iBooks produced before October 2003). "PowerBook6,3" can run Leopard, but only the 933MHz version and it'll run like a horse with no legs.

"PowerBook6,5" (April 2004) and above can run Leopard but again, it won't run amazingly. If I am completely honest, I'd just leave it with Tiger. Tiger was an amazingly advanced OS for it's time, superseded only by the Leopard family and a couple of flavours of Linux. I still don't think W7 comes close to it.

philipt42
Oct 8, 2009, 08:17 PM
If you or anyone has that issue (screen won't turn on) it's most likely the GPU - go here http://coreyarnold.org/ibook/?p=20

Three months later, my iBook is still working. It saved me a few hundred dollars.;)

pvmacguy
Oct 8, 2009, 09:04 PM
Can you identify which generation of iBook it is?

Models identified as "PowerBook4,3" and earlier cannot run Leopard (that is, iBooks produced before October 2003). "PowerBook6,3" can run Leopard, but only the 933MHz version and it'll run like a horse with no legs.

"PowerBook6,5" (April 2004) and above can run Leopard but again, it won't run amazingly. If I am completely honest, I'd just leave it with Tiger. Tiger was an amazingly advanced OS for it's time, superseded only by the Leopard family and a couple of flavours of Linux. I still don't think W7 comes close to it.

It is the later model with the 1.07 processor. And it's a little too late for tiger, I reformated the HD so it's gone... I think leopard will be fine especially just for web browsing, word docs, and iTunes.

KielderWolf
Oct 8, 2009, 09:17 PM
I suppose. When you're installing Leopard though remember to customise out all the bits you don't want otherwise you'll loose GBs of space.

If it hangs during install and refuses to do anything then it may be an idea to try to source a Tiger disc. If however it works then I suppose if you're just using it for light recreational use then Leopard should be okay. Top the machine up with RAM to get the best performance, and you should be good to go.

pvmacguy
Oct 8, 2009, 09:26 PM
Yeah I pop in the disk and it goes to the apple the wheel spins then it goes to a blue screen and sits and hangs.. :confused:
I wonder if the genius bar would be able to get it to install?

KielderWolf
Oct 8, 2009, 09:55 PM
Aye they should be able to, but apparently the booking process takes forever. If it's hanging all the time, try using the disc to run the AHT and make sure there're no red flags.

Also, I do apologise but the black coffee I just drank is kicking in, and it's about to result in a random point that a disk is a diskette, such as your hard disk or a floppy disk, the platter is held in an enclosure. A CD is a disc, because it is round like, heh, a disc. Ha ha I'm sorry but I become a grammar nazi after coffee :rolleyes:

pvmacguy
Oct 8, 2009, 10:04 PM
Haha there is a grammar nazi in all of us... I put the iBook in target mode and used my disk utility on my mini to make sure the HDD was formatted properly which it wasn't. Had to change it to GUID. Then was able to start the install in target mode from the mini and so far so good. :)

KielderWolf
Oct 8, 2009, 10:22 PM
Should work using Target Mode. I hadn't thought of that. Firewire cables are inherently expensive for some reason over here so generally Target Mode is a 15 forage into the unknown ha ha.

pvmacguy
Oct 8, 2009, 11:10 PM
Well it finished the install through target mode, and I rebooted the iBook after install completed to get the happy finder face with the flashing question mark.

OrangeSVTguy
Oct 8, 2009, 11:28 PM
GUID partition map is for Intel Macs like your Mini. Format it for APM(Apple Partition Map) for PPC Macs.

You could also "clone" your Mini hard drive to the iBook but will only work if you format it(ibook HDD) to APM first.

pvmacguy
Oct 8, 2009, 11:33 PM
GUID partition map is for Intel Macs like your Mini. Format it for APM(Apple Partition Map) for PPC Macs.

You could also "clone" your Mini hard drive to the iBook but will only work if you format it(ibook HDD) to APM first.

Ah thank you! But when I go and re-install os x now ill stick the CD into my mini and run the iBook in target mode, it will ask me to make the format GUID for the ppc. :confused:

OrangeSVTguy
Oct 9, 2009, 12:05 AM
Go to the disc utility setup and then click on the partitions tab. Click 1 partition and then options you can select the correct partition map. Select APM and and apply. Now you can install Leopard onto it.

If you are using your Mac Mini Leopard install discs.... it won't work. You need a Leopard Retail install disc or family pack.

pvmacguy
Oct 9, 2009, 08:02 AM
Go to the disc utility setup and then click on the partitions tab. Click 1 partition and then options you can select the correct partition map. Select APM and and apply. Now you can install Leopard onto it.

If you are using your Mac Mini Leopard install discs.... it won't work. You need a Leopard Retail install disc or family pack.

I changed the partition type and then tried install again and it still wanted GUID. This was through target mode. What I think im going to do is install everything to the HDD in the iBook under a GUID partition then clone the drive, reformat it to APM and then clone all the files back.

OrangeSVTguy
Oct 9, 2009, 08:19 AM
Make sure that the iBook's HDD is large enough that it will clone from your Mac Mini's HDD.(edit: N/M, just read the specs in your sig :p)

1. Put iBook into T-Mode. Plug it into your Mac Mini with a firewire cable and wait for it to mount on the Mini's desktop.
2. Open up disc utility on the Mac Mini, no need to boot from the CD. It's in the utilities folder.
3. Select your iBook's HDD and then partition it and format it for APM.
4. Download SuperDuper! (http://www.shirt-pocket.com/mint/pepper/orderedlist/downloads/download.php?file=http%3A//www.shirt-pocket.com/downloads/SuperDuper%21.dmg) or Carbon Copy Cloner (http://tc.versiontracker.com/product/redir/lid/1961303/ccc-3.3.dmgCarbon%20Copy%20Cloner)(both free) and then use that app to clone your Mac Mini hard drive to the iBooks HDD.
5. Once it's done, Restart your iBook. Your iBook is now a clone of your Mini.

Please be aware that this violates the EULA since you won't have a license to use this on another computer. This is why I suggested purchasing a Leopard Retail DVD or family pack.

pvmacguy
Oct 9, 2009, 09:06 AM
Thank you! I have the copy going right now, I installed leopard through the disk to the ibook under GUID and now making a disk image of that and saving it on my mini. Then reformating to APM and re-applying disk image to ibook hdd. I didn't clone my mini's drive because it has snow leopard.

pvmacguy
Oct 11, 2009, 12:10 PM
Well I ended up having to go to the apple store and even they couldn't get the OS to install on it own through an external HDD. So the genius said he thought it was the logic board I put in was defective. So I'm getting an exchange from the company I got it from...:mad:

ChocolateJesus
Oct 11, 2009, 05:00 PM
That's a whole lot of trouble for an iBook, but your needs for it are realistic.. so do what you will I suppose. Just don't let yourself spend 3/4 the way toward something Intel patching up a G4. :)

JimmyMac2
Oct 11, 2009, 11:51 PM
Hello:

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but I am in a similar situation. I've just gotten a 12" iBook 1.07GHz G4 with a 30GB HDD for my daughter. I also had to replace the frame, which was broken in three places, and the display bezel. It runs fine, but it seems the Mac got sat on or something before I got it...

Anyway, it's running Panther, takes up 10GB with basic apps, including Office for Mac, leaving 20 Gigs for her pics and iTunes. I would like to upgrade this iBook to Tiger for USB camera support among other things, but in looking through forums & etc., I haven't seen a good answer as to whether this machine will go to to Tiger without a fight, though I can't imagine that it would be a problem with the retail disks. (Discs?) Also, how much extra space will Tiger use up, and should I just swap out the HDD for a 160? BTW, it's got 1.25GB of memory (max?), which I think is plenty.

I hope pvmacguy's efforts are successful, and I hope mine aren't as complicated. I don't mind the extra investment in a used machine, since when she goes off to college, she gets a brand new Intel MB, and the G4 comes back to me.

Thanks for any advice.

KielderWolf
Oct 12, 2009, 03:45 AM
Hello:

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but I am in a similar situation. I've just gotten a 12" iBook 1.07GHz G4 with a 30GB HDD for my daughter. I also had to replace the frame, which was broken in three places, and the display bezel. It runs fine, but it seems the Mac got sat on or something before I got it...

Anyway, it's running Panther, takes up 10GB with basic apps, including Office for Mac, leaving 20 Gigs for her pics and iTunes. I would like to upgrade this iBook to Tiger for USB camera support among other things, but in looking through forums & etc., I haven't seen a good answer as to whether this machine will go to to Tiger without a fight, though I can't imagine that it would be a problem with the retail disks. (Discs?) Also, how much extra space will Tiger use up, and should I just swap out the HDD for a 160? BTW, it's got 1.25GB of memory (max?), which I think is plenty.

I hope pvmacguy's efforts are successful, and I hope mine aren't as complicated. I don't mind the extra investment in a used machine, since when she goes off to college, she gets a brand new Intel MB, and the G4 comes back to me.

Thanks for any advice.

Tiger was distributed on a single DVD install disc and a Utilities CD-ROM. It will run on your hardware with no problem, but I would strongly recommend upgrading to a larger hard drive especially if she has a music library anywhere near even half the size of my own. The Tiger install by itself is 3.2GB but that does not include extra applications. You can also save space by removing foreign languages post-install.

pvmacguy
Oct 12, 2009, 08:46 AM
I would definetly recomend upgrading the HDD especially if music etc is going on there. Not to mention how old is that 30 gig? If it's the original one it's possible it could go at any time.

OrangeSVTguy
Oct 12, 2009, 09:45 AM
Upgrading the HDD will also give quite a speed boost too. That iBook will run Leopard too if you can find the retail DVD for the same price as Tiger. I would do a full install but back up anything you have installed first. Click on the customize tab and uncheck the printer drives, extra languages and X11. I like to keep the additional fonts installed because sometimes some stuff on the web will just be ???? since it can't read the right fonts.

pvmacguy
Oct 12, 2009, 09:58 AM
The genius bar will install any os for you. Because I couldn't get it to install on mine and I thought it was the disk I went up there and he tried to install leopard no questions asked and for no $$.

pvmacguy
Oct 18, 2009, 08:51 AM
Finally got my replacement logic board from the defective one I recieved. Installed it last night and got leopard installed and that little machine runs great! I was surprised it actually had some pep to it and no spinning beach balls.. :)

JimmyMac2
Oct 29, 2009, 09:49 PM
Okay...

I've been super busy for a couple of weeks, but I finally got the time to sit down and start the upgrade. Swapped out the HDD with a 160 and installed Tiger right off of the DVD. As I had hoped, it was simple and straightforward, and everything, including the webcam, was working wonderfully. So thanks for everyone's advice about Tiger and the HDD!

However - after a couple of days, the iBook started to exhibit one of the apparently common freeze-up problems I have read about. After an hour or more of normal operation, the computer would freeze. No video problems like some posts have reported, just no response. Only way to shut down is by holding down the power button. Upon rebooting, it gets past the gray "apple" screen to the OS startup screen (blue), then hangs. If I let it sit for an hour or so, it will boot all the way up, but will freeze again, and it has gotten steadily worse, till now it only takes a few minutes.

I have read about squeezing the case, or shimming the video chip or another chip on the back of the logic board, but like I said, there is no apparent video failure. I'm willing to bet that there is heat involved, either thermal-runaway or heat sink failure. I've checked the heat sink (do those sticky pads really work?) and done a visual of the logic board, cannot find anything obvious. But failure of just one tiny resistor, and subsequent overheating of a major component from excessive power would look exactly like this...

I've read posts that have stated that this problem, or the similar one with display degradation, have appeared after hard disk upgrades or similar work, as in this case, and it does put cracked connections from flexing the logic board high on the list of suspects. I noticed that when you tighten down the little nut in the middle of the heat sink, it pulls the logic board up a significant distance.

By the way, I put the original HDD back in, and get identical behavior. Boots, freezes, won't boot, cools down, boots, etc. So it's not the disk. Could it be the controller? The freeze-ups do not seem to coincide with disk activity, but I can't tell for sure.

I haven't heard the fan running, but at this point, it's not all that hot when it bellies up. I've ordered a new fan, anyway. So has anyone seen or heard of a solution for this "well-known" problem with iBooks? Failing that, any reasonable ideas acted upon.

Thanks for you assistance.

pvmacguy
Oct 30, 2009, 12:04 PM
Jim, the replacement logic board I recieved the first time from the company for my gf's ibook that I was working on did the same exact thing. Only I wasn't even able to install the os before it would have total lock up. It was the GPU over heating and shutting down all processes. You most likely will need to replace the logic board.