Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2003
I know cos i tried. My ipod mini took a dip and i want to know if anything is salvigable. Parts etc.

stoid

macrumors 601
My sympathies for the deceased.

It kinda depends on the type of swim if anything is salvagable. Even if you can get any parts from it, I don't know what you'd do with them. Individually they have very little value (except the battery I guess). You could send it back to Apple and just tell them that it stopped working without telling them why. That would probably be illegal, but I know plenty of people that still do it.

flyfish29

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2003
New HAMpshire
Let it dry for at least a week after shaking all the water out. Then try to power it up to see. Don't do it until then or else it will proabably be fried for sure.

Good luck

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
flyfish29 said:
Let it dry for at least a week after shaking all the water out. Then try to power it up to see. Don't do it until then or else it will proabably be fried for sure.

Good luck

That's my suggestion as well.

My mother dropped her cellphone in a glass of Pepsi, and It still worked... for a while. But, it was under warranty, so a replacement was covered. Had she taken it in wet, she would have been out of luck. Not a true "defect" it was user-error. But after a while, the Pepsi residue was gone so there was no trace of error.

Aaon

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2004
Cell Phone Mishaps

I know from experience (a rather expensive experience) that some of the newer cell phones have a small water-detector-pad-thingy under the battery, that changes color when it is exposed to water. That is, if you drop it in water (which is not covered by warranty), your friendly neighborhood cell phone salesman can quickly check the reason for your phone's sudden demise... :p

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
Aaon said:
I know from experience (a rather expensive experience) that some of the newer cell phones have a small water-detector-pad-thingy under the battery, that changes color when it is exposed to water. That is, if you drop it in water (which is not covered by warranty), your friendly neighborhood cell phone salesman can quickly check the reason for your phone's sudden demise... :p

...Not at Best Buy they don't, at least.

rueyeet

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2003
MD
There was something in the Palm Graveyard at Palminfocenter.com about a guy who carefully disassembled and cleaned his Palm after dropping it in a lake, then let it dry out and put it back together. Amazingly enough, it worked fine.

This wouldn't apply, though, if the device was operating while wet, which would probably cause electrical damage of some kind.

gwuMACaddict

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2003
washington dc
nooooooooooooooooo!

my cell phone went swimming in the keg bucket at my 4th of july party, and that was the end of that... kinda sad. definitely much more replaceable than the mini...

Sabbath

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2003
London
I'm sorry to hear that, drying it out and seeing if it works is often the answer, although if it went swimming in something sugary you really need to wash it out!

I guess returning it and saying you have no idea why it broke may be worth a try, if you are so inclined. The worse thing for this approach is that it may push back my iPod mini order :rolleyes:

Try and get a hold of the MacAddict article about disassembling the iPod Mini, you may be able to salvage the HD and the battery, or if your lucky you can clean the mini out and it might work again. Oh if your HD works its worth quite a bit, I have seen 4GB mini drives going for several hundred dollars.

parrothead

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2003
Edmonds, WA
I know of a lot of stories about electronics that have been flooded and then dried and still work. If you dropped your iPod into salt water or anything other than clean fresh water, you will probably want to wash it out with fresh water. Dont even think about trying to turn the thing on until it has dried for a long time.

unixkid

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2004
lol

i dropped my 3G 15gb iPod in the toilet with the backlight on and it was fine! lol! It scared the sh*t out of me! its still works till this day. The iPod (not mini) is as close to water prof as u can get on an mp3 player.

rdrr

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2003
NH
If it never comes back...

You could try to do the dell $100 towards a Dell Jukebox 15 GB. Sell it on ebay for ~$170 and get yourself $70 towards a new mini. :)

webmatthijs

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2004
United Kingdom
ipod saved

i almost had that with my ipod! i caught it just in time. now even exposing my ipod to a little drop of rain frightens everything out of me, believe me the ipod grows so close to a person you will do everything to save it. :D

rdrr

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2003
NH
Also just thought of something. If you have a oven with a warming draw, most of them have a low setting of 80 degrees, which falls within the non operating tempreture for the ipod. I would "warm" it up a bit, since we are in summer, depending on where you are located, and what the humidity is, letting it just dry out may take awhile. Couldn't hurt, but this is just a suggestion... :rolleyes:

nologo

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2003
Canada
The iPod Minis technically have a 4 gig Compactflash HD ("Microdrive") as I remember. I also remember someone mentioning that there has been little success using this hard drive in digital cameras, but it's a possibility, if it still works, that is...

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
It has a 1" HDD in it, but I don't see why that matters.

Anyway, I wouldn't just wait for it to dry. I would disassemble it, wait for a week or more for it to dry (not just visibly dry....but longer than that if possible), and trying again. I would wipe it down first if there was stuff in the water.

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Dec 3, 2003
Slightly off topic, I hear that Gameboys are crazy-sturdy too. I've read/heard stories of people finding a Gameboy in their front yard that went through an entire winter that worked perfectly fine afterward.

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL
I dropped my Sanyo 8100 in the river, ran it through the washing machine, and left it in the rain. Each time, I opened it up and sat it in the sun for two days before applying power.

And it still works.

(Now, I have a Treo 600, and I wish I could throw this crappy thing in the river)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.