Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

baravelli

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2004
I bought a 15" Powerbook, Superdrive with a 1.25 Ghz chip, back in March or so, about two or three weeks before they upgraded to the 1.5s. I love my machine and haven't had any problems with it, but naturally I was the slightest bit miffed about how the timing worked out. (I really did need it then though.)
Anyway, I was recently contacted by Apple out of the clear blue sky, and was volunteered the following information: They were going through their records and discovered that several machines which had been used and refurbished had been mistakenly categorized and sold as new machines, and that their records showed that my Powerbook was one of them. Now, I had never had any reason to suspect that my unit wasn't brand new, but that's what they told me. So, in recompense, they offered me that I could either trade in my current unit for another certified brand new machine, or they would give me a refund in the amount of the difference between the value of a new and a refurbished machine (which they said would be about $400-500) and also throw in a free AppleCare subscription to boot. Being a tad bit greedy at this point, I mentioned about how I had bought mine right before an upgrade and asked if they would let me trade up to the newer model. The contact got back to me a couple days later to say that yes they would do that, or I could still go with the money and the AppleCare.
Well now, what should I do? I'm wondering whether the extra .25Ghz will really make a difference? I use my Powerbook for pretty intensive music and audio applications, so I'm inclined to suspect that it might?... (I've got 1GB of RAM.) On the other hand, the money would be nice, but I don't think I'm gonna starve without it...
Any ideas? Thanks.

FuzzyBallz

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Home of Al-Qaida
baravelli said:
They were going through their records and discovered that several machines which had been used and refurbished had been mistakenly categorized and sold as new machines...
OMFG, fraud alert. But hey, who cares. Take the money.

FuzzyBallz

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Home of Al-Qaida
I wasn't addressing the OP, was talking about Apple. For all I know, Apple could just act like it didn't happen and nobody would know. Like a lot of people already mentioned, Apple's refurb product looks exactly like brand new ones.

vga4life

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2004
Take the new machine...

Get the upgrade. The latest revision 15" and 17" PowerBooks have a much better video chipset than the 1.25's did. The free upgrade is also the better deal.

Think of it like this: if you sold your current powerbook, would you be able to buy a new one similarly configured with the proceeds plus $500? Probably not unless you're extraordinarily lucky on ebay, and that'd be a gigantic hassle (not to mention dangerous - I'd feel safer selling a powerbook in a back alley of the Bronx than selling one on ebay. At least you'd know the cash was probably real.)

Get the new powerbook.

-vga4life

Finiksa

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2003
Australia
Take the money and AppleCare, that's potentially worth $850.

You won't see much of a difference between the 1.25GHz and 1.5GHz machine, and I doubt Apple would let you upgrade the VRAM etc. so you'll end up with a stock config.

If you're happy with your current PB keep it especially if the LCD is perfect. A new PB could be faster but you could end up with dead pixels or more problems and only one third the warranty coverage.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
applecare is a lot on the powerbooks but a worth investment. take the money as well as the free apple care and be happy. you can also use this to your benefit. when new models come out, sell this and upgrade to the current line. you probably won't lose any money with the cash you have recieved.

iJon

BakedBeans

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2004
What's Your Favorite Posish
its what ever is in you heart... its always nice to have the latest and greatest..but i think i would have to choose the 500 and the applecare... just think your geting 500 for nothing..... top notch apple....

Sabbath

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2003
London
I'd take the money and Applecare, Applecare is really good to have on laptops, but it is damn expensive for the powerbooks (I still haven't got mine due to the cost :eek: ). I don't think the difference in performance will be huge, and the next powerbook may be a G5 with a big jump in performance, I would skip this rev and get put the $500 towards the next one, your PB will still be worth a fair bit by then (especially with the addition of applecare), so you'll be most of the way to a new even better PB.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
FuzzyBallz said:
I wasn't addressing the OP, was talking about Apple. For all I know, Apple could just act like it didn't happen and nobody would know. Like a lot of people already mentioned, Apple's refurb product looks exactly like brand new ones.

Actually no fraud, since they proactively went to the customers affected. It shows their level of commitment to doing the right thing in this case.

FelixDerKater

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2002
Nirgendwo in Amerika
I'm going to have to disagree to that fact that you won't feel an extra 250MHz. Beyond that, the updated Radeon chipset will definitely come in handy down the road, seeing CoreGraphics/CoreVideo and if you are into gaming at all.

allroy

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2004
wow, wish I was in your shoes...

just for this though. :p

I think you should make a post of the best possible uses of your $500. Then you could determine to upgrade or take the money and run.

I would be tempted to get the new 1.5, just because something like this really doesn't ever happen. But well apple care is apple care and $500, iPod, part of a new 20" display, money for a new computer, etc...

What's more important, take the friends out to a nudie bar! :D

reaper

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2004
19th Hole
I would say that if you were happy with the computer to begin with, just take the money and the APP. That way, you still have a GREAT computer, and now have another $850 in equity in the same machine. For me it would be a no-brainer.

- reaper

flyfish29

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2003
New HAMpshire
ChrisFromCanada said:
You will not notice the .25 GHz difference however you will notice the money (which you could use to get a new iPod and some other stuff) and the free applecare. Go with the money!

I would say if there are not new features to the speed bumped PB except for the speed bump noticed then I would say keep the old, get the cash and Apple Care and either use the money for something else or keep it stashed away to allow you to buy that new G5 PB whenever they come out. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.