Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
What's wrong with apple trying to protect it's logo and brand - nothing. Any other company would and have done the same. McDonald for years sued other restaurants for meals that were called Mcxxxxx or if another company used/referenced the golden arches. Xerox steadfastly protected its trademark.

Clearly the logo is much to close to apple's and they have every right to protect their trademark.[/fanboy] :D

charliehustle

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2009
What's wrong with apple trying to protect it's logo and brand - nothing. Any other company would and have done the same. McDonald for years sued other restaurants for meals that were called Mcxxxxx or if another company used/referenced the golden arches. Xerox steadfastly protected its trademark.

Clearly the logo is much to close to apple's and they have every right to protect their trademark.[/fanboy] :D

IMO why should Apple get to patent the shape of a fruit?
the logo doesn't look identical to it either..

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
They didn't patent it, they trademarked it. ;)

But this is ridiculous. Trademark and trade dress cover the industry for which you filed the trademark. I haven't looked, but I highly doubt Apple's trademark covers the use of ANY Apple shape in another companies logo... especially one that is not even in the same industry.

I doubt a grocery store chain would be confused with a consumer electronics company.

Clearly an Apple lawyer with too much time on his hands.

beg_ne

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2003
They didn't patent it, they trademarked it. ;)

But this is ridiculous. Trademark and trade dress cover the industry for which you filed the trademark. I haven't looked, but I highly doubt Apple's trademark covers the use of ANY Apple shape in another companies logo... especially one that is not even in the same industry.

I doubt a grocery store chain would be confused with a consumer electronics company.

Clearly an Apple lawyer with too much time on his hands.

FTA:

More to the point, it also owns two electronics chains, and won't rule out the possibility that it could produce cell phones, music players, and computers that would put it in direct competition with Apple's iPod, iPhone, and Macintosh products.

The logic underlying Apple's suit is clear: the company relies on a strong reputation to propel sales of its high-priced consumer electronics. If Woolworths is allowed to produce in-house products with a similar logo, it could easily trade on Apple's reputation to push its products. What's more, with Internet sales collapsing the global marketplace, the Apple-Woolworth conflict could easily spread far beyond Australia's boundaries.

agreed they look nothing like each other, unless apple has an "updated" logo in there pocket for the next Gen "something".... there design team probably trademarks multiple logos for generations to come.... car companies do the same thing..... (that said, all companies are smart to do that for this reason)

r1ch4rd

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2005
Manchester UK

You reminded me of this story - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8243270.stm

Apparently, sometimes you can beat the big players (even if you are clearly in the wrong).

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
From TUAW:

UPDATE: A couple of points we should clear up on this post. First, Apple is not, in fact, the aggressor in this case. No one is, really. It is a trademark action, and as far as we know it has NOT become a lawsuit. It appears to be a part of the trademark process as it happens down under. Apple is free to object, and since Woolworths is attempting to register their mark across a huge range of products (like computers), they are practically obligated to do so. We'll keep an eye out for any interesting developments, however. - Ed.
http://www.tuaw.com/2009/10/05/apple-versus-woolworths-logo-smackdown/

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
If they are going to put the logo on electronics or computers, then Apple has an obligation to protect their brand name.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.