PDA

View Full Version : Folding killed my PM

maxvamp
Jul 15, 2004, 11:30 AM
Hello all,

Sorry for the alarmist subject line, as my PM G3's death is not entirely Folding's fault.

I was playing with the jumpers for my PM G3 400, and I set the clock speed to 450. Everything seemed good for a couple of days, so I set it up with Folding.

Well, I came home that evening, and noticed that the machine no longer was running. I turned it off, then back on, and while the Power supply, and all drives initialized, there was no chime, and no action from the Main board/CPU. I dropped the jumpers back down to the original speed, and still nothing.

My diagnosis is that I toasted the proc, which means I now can ask my wife ( with a straight face ) for a proc upgrade that I have been wanting for a while.

But... Before I do, I was wondering if anyone had any hints or tips on things I may need to reset such as pram, etc.

Thanx all,

Max.

P.S. I am not totally stressed, as this is kinda my use and abuse machine. My PM G4 DA, however is another story. :eek: :D

Max.

Horrortaxi
Jul 15, 2004, 12:26 PM
Let's be honest here. Folding just put a load on your system. Had you not meddled it would have been fine. You killed your PM.

Does the power switch light up? You might have wiped out the logic board instead of or in addition to the processor.

Hemingray
Jul 15, 2004, 12:42 PM
Nice! I overclocked my Yikes G4 400 to 450 using the jumpers, and it's run fine for over a year and a half running F@H literally 24/7. So I guess it's just a gamble.

Personally, I wouldn't bother putting a processor upgrade in that thing. It, like my Yikes G4, is getting quite long in the tooth. I be saving up for a G5. :) If you did that, your G4 DA could be your new "use and abuse" machine. ;)

maxvamp
Jul 15, 2004, 12:50 PM
Folding was the catalyst, but not the cause.

I do fold, mostly on my AMD64 3k+. I don't believe that it is a machine killer, but does make a nice benchmark and stress program as well.

The point of this thread was to find out what other options I had to resurrect this machine, along side the CPU replacement.

On the G5, I have to really ask... Why?

Yes, it would be nice to have, but most of my Mac tasks are Word docs, some coding, very little video work, email, web, some elementary video games ( non - 3D ), and my DA seems to do the job really nicely.

In my case $3k would be better spent elsewhere.

Max.

P.S. Thank you for the feedback I always appreciate it. :)

maxvamp
Jul 15, 2004, 06:03 PM
Power light does come up. Is that a good thing,or a bad thing?

Max.

JesseJames
Jul 15, 2004, 06:39 PM
<----[playing Taps and saluting]

phonic pol
Jul 15, 2004, 06:55 PM
Excuse my ignorance but what is folding? :confused:

applemacdude
Jul 15, 2004, 07:43 PM
Hello all,

Sorry for the alarmist subject line, as my PM G3's death is not entirely Folding's fault.

I was playing with the jumpers for my PM G3 400, and I set the clock speed to 450. Everything seemed good for a couple of days, so I set it up with Folding.

Well, I came home that evening, and noticed that the machine no longer was running. I turned it off, then back on, and while the Power supply, and all drives initialized, there was no chime, and no action from the Main board/CPU. I dropped the jumpers back down to the original speed, and still nothing.

My diagnosis is that I toasted the proc, which means I now can ask my wife ( with a straight face ) for a proc upgrade that I have been wanting for a while.

But... Before I do, I was wondering if anyone had any hints or tips on things I may need to reset such as pram, etc.

Thanx all,

Max.

P.S. I am not totally stressed, as this is kinda my use and abuse machine. My PM G4 DA, however is another story. :eek: :D

Max.

I think that your zif card was fried on the pm, not the whole motherboard...you can try replacing that

Horrortaxi
Jul 15, 2004, 09:26 PM
Power light does come up. Is that a good thing,or a bad thing?

Max.
It's a good thing--or at least a better thing than it not coming on.

Dr. Zauis
Jul 15, 2004, 09:38 PM
http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/folding/
A little time spent at google goes a long way. This was the first hit for "folding"
ignorance excused ;)

bousozoku
Jul 15, 2004, 11:28 PM
If you need a 400 MHz G3 from a Blue and White G3 that ran folding@home for 1.5 years without frying, let me know. ;)

maxvamp
Jul 15, 2004, 11:35 PM
bousozoku

I am definitly looking to get this machine running again.

if you want, you can email me at maxvamp@comcast.net and perhaps we can work a deal.

Thx.

Max.

-----------------------
folding is good!!

maxvamp
Jul 24, 2004, 05:00 AM
I am glad I use this beast for a server.

I was able to order a G3 300 from ebay for $5.

The machine is happy once again.

Now, time to update to a G4, and see what Gentoo Linux will do on this machine.

Thanx again all,

Max.

wdlove
Jul 24, 2004, 02:47 PM

If you think about folding, please join our team. We would greatly appreciate your contribution.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=21908

maxvamp
Jul 25, 2004, 12:41 AM
I have run folding @ home on many machines, and plan on doing more in the future. Of all the machines I have folded on, this was the first that died, and I am thinking that this proc had problems to begin with.

My new 300 MHz proc is faster than my 400MHz machine was.

Please fold, as my Alzheimer's is acting up, and we will soon need a cure.

Max.

Hemingray
Jul 26, 2004, 01:20 PM
Please fold, as my Alzheimer's is acting up, and we will soon need a cure.

Max.

Are you serious...? :eek:

Butler Trumpet
Jul 26, 2004, 02:13 PM
Maybe this is a dumb question..... but what the crap is folding? I have heard lots about it, and I must just be confused or something. Thanks

edit- k, nevermind, i read the post above... sorry.

maxvamp
Jul 26, 2004, 02:20 PM
Around my house, it is common to make the comment 'my Alzheimer's is acting up' When we forget something ( usually quite important ).

It is the levity that gets us past the fact that dementia does run in both sides of the family.

I feel strongly about folding for obvious reasons. If anyone has taken offence to the comment, I am sorry.

Thank you all for the input.

Max.

---------------------
Herman Munster for Prez!!! (?)

Hemingray
Jul 26, 2004, 03:09 PM
Around my house, it is common to make the comment 'my Alzheimer's is acting up' When we forget something ( usually quite important ).

It is the levity that gets us past the fact that dementia does run in both sides of the family.

I feel strongly about folding for obvious reasons. If anyone has taken offence to the comment, I am sorry.

Thank you all for the input.

Max.

---------------------
Herman Munster for Prez!!! (?)

Heheh, oh okay. I'm not offended, I was just worried, I thought maybe you actually had Alzheimer's! My grandfather has it, but that doesn't stop me from enjoying Eric Idle's Alzheimer's answering machine recording. Keep folding guys! :)

This looks promising, too:
http://cnn.com/2004/HEALTH/conditions/07/22/alzheimers.drugs.reut/index.html

(P.S. The "Herman Munster for Prez" shot came from here: http://www.jibjab.com/ Pretty funny... :D bashes both sides.)