Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Ok, one of my domains (I have a couple) is coming up for renewal and I'm about to renew it, but this time, I'm questioning the private registration protection that godaddy offers. I'm thinking of canceling the domainsbyproxy for that specific account.

what's the risks of doing this, other then the email account on file getting spammed.

Thoughts, recommendations?

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
The main purpose of DomainsByProxy (which I also use via GoDaddy) is so that you don't have to have your name and address made public in the WHOIS information for your domain.

I don't want people to know where I live just because they know the domain name of a site I own.

I wouldn't be without it.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
The thing is I already have a couple of other sites that don't have it.

Plus any .us TLDs cannot have private registration (I have one of those). So between the .us and my other domain that doesn't have it, I'm kind of already out there for anyone to see.

I suppose I'm not seeing the risk of people seeing my address, especially since my name and address is already in the yellow pages.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Yeah but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything ;)

I'm still on the fence, I suppose I could add my other domain to domainsbyproxy at renewal time (I'm assuming I can do this) but the .us is still hanging out there.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
In general the cost isn't high unless you start adding in other services or years. its amazing if you're not careful godaddy can nickel and dime you to death and before you know it, you're throwing down more money for a domain then what you really should.

This is probably why I initially didn't select private registration. I suppose if I had the option to do private registration on the .us, I'd be all in for it, but given that I can't it does seem a little pointless to have one domain fully public (actually two) and the other private.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
well that information can always be changed later on correct?

AFAIK, you cannot add private registration unless its at purchase/renewal time. You can update your whois information and there's nothing to stop you from putting in "bogus" data but you're not supposed to and if you're caught you could lose your domain. I don't know if that ever happened and I'm one of those weird people who tend to follow the rules - go figure :rolleyes:

Dal123

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2008
England
Let us know how you get on with transferring your domain because I have heard that 'GoDaddy' are cowboys. If you registered the domain with them they actually own it and you are just renting it off them.
Someone on here tried to move their domain and they wanted £500 to sell it to the person that registered it with them :mad:.
I'm only an amateur though; not even finished my first site :eek:.

star-fish

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2009
Some things to consider which may or may not be relevant...you may be listed in the yellow pages anyway but non-private registration opens you up to the entire planet, not just your country or region (and I don't know anyone who bothers to use the yellow pages any more).

Depending on what your site is about, you may be targeted by marketers, protestors, etc. etc. - in which case being able to stay removed from one source of it may help, particularly if you don't want your sites to be associated with each other.

It may affect search engine rankings slightly for anyone searching your name (the whois information might be higher than pages on your site).

Plenty of hosts offer private registration for free, such as dreamhost.com.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.