PDA

View Full Version : Which desk do you prefer?

Angelo95210
Oct 12, 2009, 05:02 AM
Hi all !

As i am soon moving to a new flat, I am thinking about getting a new desk. I have picked two in the IKEA catalog, what do you think ? I want to put my 24' alu imac on it...

Scarlet Fever
Oct 12, 2009, 06:24 AM
#2. The legs on #1 look like they could be annoying

Angelo95210
Oct 12, 2009, 06:35 AM
Thanks ! And I love those flowers lol :o

pb1300
Oct 12, 2009, 06:53 AM
My cousin actually got that desk (second one) for her home office the other day. It looks very nice.

dundonald
Oct 12, 2009, 07:04 AM
They may have changed slightly since I had one of those, but they are really badly build and get pretty wobbly after a year. Mind you it was cheap as chips and when it's time came, it made great kindling. Also as the previous poster mentioned the legs are really annoying. Forever knee-capping yourself swiveling out of the chair!

GoCubsGo
Oct 12, 2009, 07:28 AM
#1 has more functional legs but if the build quality is what the above poster says it is then #2 may be good. Invest in a duster because you'll probably drive yourself nuts with the dust daily, not to mention the finger prints.

I like glass table tops but I think at best I'd have to have one over a wood desk. Not to mention I'm a native Californian and glass anything is a recipe for disaster.

dundonald
Oct 12, 2009, 07:45 AM
I may have been overly harsh in my write off of No1. Jessica is right in that it has more practical legs. The ability to set your own height and angle is great.(Not sure this would be a good idea with an imac though!) My real bone of contention was that I had a tower, so although they fit, the dvd tray would foul the legs. The shelves would be good for NAS, etc though.

Jessica: Eeek! The idea of toughened glass shattering during a tremor whilst you are fishing around with cables doesn't bear thinking about.

Unspoken Demise
Oct 12, 2009, 07:47 AM
Another vote for #2. That picture certainly sells it.

savoirfaire
Oct 12, 2009, 07:58 AM
I agree that with #1 the legs do take up a fair bit of room. #2 is a little too flowery for me, though, I have to say. I got the Galant desk from Ikea because it's so customizable and every time I move, I can reconfigure it to maximize my usage of the available space.

I'm 5 ft 8
Oct 12, 2009, 08:20 AM
Neither. The first looks like it belongs in a woodworking shop. The second belongs in a hairdressing shop. YMMV

Pau.c
Oct 12, 2009, 08:31 AM
i saw the second one yesterday and believe me, that is the one you should get its gorgeous! me and the GF fell in love with it :)

travisjacques
Oct 12, 2009, 08:35 AM
If you get no. 2 think about different legs those legs were very wobbly in the ikea store.

Angelo95210
Oct 12, 2009, 09:30 AM
So I will get the 2nd with # feet and post a picture here ! :)

Melrose
Oct 12, 2009, 10:04 AM
#2. The legs on #1 look like they could be annoying

Yeah. Go with the second one. Even then, the legs might be a bit of an annoyance. If you want a really snazzy desk, go to DWR; They've got awesome office stuff.

heehee
Oct 12, 2009, 10:46 AM
I have the one similar to #1, but a glass top instead, and the legs look abit different. I love it, the legs don't bother me at all.

Angelo95210
Oct 12, 2009, 11:43 AM
The thing I like in the first one -an which you might have not noticed- is that there is a light table incorporated. It sounds very arty, like a cartoon illustrator etc. Even I would have nothing to do with this functionality I fancy it lol

Still I will try to get the second one with better feet

Yakuza
Oct 12, 2009, 12:02 PM
well that depends.

the glass one the mouse will not work. the first one, yeah it's nice, but like someone as allready said dose legs look annooying, and ugly, the table as that glassy part thingy, if you will not use it for drawing on paper, it just will take space.

rather than that they all look good, got one myself second ou third one lol

arkitect
Oct 12, 2009, 12:05 PM
I have picked two in the IKEA catalog

Have you only seen them in a catalogue?
Better to have a look proper.

The 1st one I considered myself a while back. But the "lightbox" is really just a gimmick taking up space and I didn't get it.

Although that is not to be taken as a recommendation for the 2nd one. ;)

Go have a look in the store.

ucfgrad93
Oct 12, 2009, 12:10 PM
Neither. The first looks like it belongs in a woodworking shop. The second belongs in a hairdressing shop. YMMV

Agreed, I don't care for either of them. I like to have some drawers in my desk to put in all the crap that would otherwise lay onto of the desk.

SchneiderMan
Oct 12, 2009, 01:29 PM
The second one if those are your only choices. I personally have the Galant desk and love it. the legs are not in the way and they are hight adjustable too.

nava
Oct 12, 2009, 01:41 PM
Definitely #2, but it is also too messy looking, i like it simple and clean.

This is what im going to get

Diejws
Oct 12, 2009, 02:15 PM
Out of only those two choices, I'd go with #2, but personally I'd prefer to continue looking.

Angelo95210
Oct 12, 2009, 02:15 PM
Yeah the Galant and the last one posted here sounds too professional... It will stands in the middle of my living room...

Arran
Oct 12, 2009, 02:57 PM
... Jessica: Eeek! The idea of toughened glass shattering during a tremor whilst you are fishing around with cables doesn't bear thinking about.

Never mind a tremor. If anything breaks the glass, your 24" iMac hits the floor. Better have good backups (and thick carpets!)

Angelo95210
Oct 12, 2009, 04:08 PM
Never mind a tremor. If anything breaks the glass, your 24" iMac hits the floor. Better have good backups (and thick carpets!)

Ouch.... never never ever say this again ! :eek: Such a frightening thought !!! I hope this will never happen... fingers crossed !!!

phas3
Oct 12, 2009, 11:56 PM
those dont look realiable at all....but if i had to choose i would go for number 2

Angelo95210
Oct 13, 2009, 02:20 AM
Seems like everyone prefers the #2, did it ever break for someone ? Do you think I should avoid it because of this ? I work at home and use it almost 24/24h lol

nava
Oct 13, 2009, 04:51 AM
Im sure its made of strong thick glass, so thats not the problem.

Yakuza
Oct 13, 2009, 05:10 AM
Or do it like me

i have my MBP and monitor on a shelf, and in front of the shelf i have a very simple desk where is the mouse, keyboard, tablet and the iphone dock :D

the benefit is that you can have a lot of space on the desk it self

but, that's me lololol

i like to make changes

Angelo95210
Oct 13, 2009, 06:05 AM
Or do it like me

i have my MBP and monitor on a shelf, and in front of the shelf i have a very simple desk where is the mouse, keyboard, tablet and the iphone dock :D

the benefit is that you can have a lot of space on the desk it self

but, that's me lololol

i like to make changes

Lol I am such a nerd on design... not so convinced :)

Arran
Oct 13, 2009, 06:14 AM
Seems like everyone prefers the #2, did it ever break for someone ? Do you think I should avoid it because of this ? I work at home and use it almost 24/24h lol

From Ikea's own website: "Tempered glass should be handled with care! A damaged edge or a scratched surface can cause the glass to break suddenly. However, only into small pieces, never into sharp fragments." (Ref: http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/S59838752 )

Personally I had a small Ikea "tempered glass" side table broken by a visitor's small child. In line with the quote above, it instantly shattered into thousands of tiny squares - much like a car windshield. This is a safety feature by design, since the tiny squares are lightweight an offer little or no resistance to anyone unfortunate enough to get in their way.

And if that's not enough info, I just googled "ikea glass desk break" to find this sad tale (warning: contains extremely graphic mistreatment of a Mac):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8lettersuk/1104535/

I think tempered glass is fine for windows and other vertical surfaces.

Angelo95210
Oct 13, 2009, 06:19 AM
From Ikea's own website: "Tempered glass should be handled with care! A damaged edge or a scratched surface can cause the glass to break suddenly. However, only into small pieces, never into sharp fragments." (Ref: http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/S59838752 )

Personally I had a small Ikea "tempered glass" side table broken by a visitor's small child. In line with the quote above, it instantly shattered into thousands of tiny squares - much like a car windshield. This is a safety feature by design, since the tiny squares are lightweight an offer little or no resistance to anyone unfortunate enough to get in their way.

And if that's not enough info, I just googled "ikea glass desk break" to find this sad tale (warning: contains extremely graphic mistreatment of a Mac):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8lettersuk/1104535/

I think tempered glass is fine for windows and other vertical surfaces.

Wow here we are you scared me :eek: This pic is a drama !!!
I have no child around but you know about drunk mates... :D

Yakuza
Oct 13, 2009, 06:38 AM
Lol I am such a nerd on design... not so convinced :)

rats...i was wrong. not shelf but a bookcase. i have the desk in front of a bookcase, this damn translations :p

i will post a pic later when i get home. lolol, i know it's hard to imagine a thing like that but it came out pretty handy. the bookcase as 3 shelfs, the top as sound speakers a lcd tv and a external hdd, above this and in the the same shelf have the MBP, monitor and printer and the bottom shelf, well all kind of stuff lol

Instead of distributing the stuff in one desk all cluttered, i made it in a vertical position.

SchneiderMan
Oct 13, 2009, 02:37 PM
Just and fyi, the glass desk is very heavy so if you dont live in a 1st floor or private home it could be hard to get in and assemble.
I dont think its very practical because in the winter it will be cold to the touch and could be discomforting and yes it could break too..

Yakuza
Oct 13, 2009, 06:09 PM
http://img02.imagefra.me/img/img02/2/10/13/fdvf/t_grq4xcfim_9571eb5.jpg[/IMG] (http://imagefra.me/view.php?img=/2/10/13/fdvf/f_grq4xcfim_9571eb5.jpg&srv=img02)

[timg]http://img39.imagefra.me/img/img39/2/10/13/fdvf/f_grq4xcfim_bd9c935.jpg (http://imagefra.me/)

Angelo95210 here it is, my ideia of a functional desk :D

Angelo95210
Oct 14, 2009, 02:22 AM
For sure it's functional. I cannot imagine better.

But I am the kind of guy to give up with speakers and printer for design sake :)

Yakuza
Oct 14, 2009, 03:21 AM
like we say here..."every crazy man with is crazyness" :D:D

trust me, i really have no choice, i would have also only one desk, one iMac (soon very soon lol) one keyboard and one mouse. nothing else. but, heck! i don't really mind :p

cerhard
Oct 14, 2009, 11:16 PM
My GF has the second one and the legs are indeed a little wobbly. The glass is very thick and heavy. I moved it my myself once and the glass weighs well over 40lbs.

Angelo95210
Oct 15, 2009, 03:07 AM
Wow seems heavy. But this sounds good for the robustness. But maybe should I change these feet...

iBlue
Oct 15, 2009, 03:23 AM
Neither but that's just my opinion. I think it's the ridiculous shape of the "legs" that puts me off the most.

tonie
Oct 15, 2009, 03:27 AM
both are ugly

arkitect
Oct 15, 2009, 03:38 AM
I have picked two in the IKEA catalog
I asked this earlier, but might as well again.
Have you only seen them in a catalogue?
Better to have a look proper.

Go have a look in the store.

Have you compared the two tables at the store yet?
Basing your buying decision on a picture or two in a catalogue (and anecdotal not to say completely subjective comments on a computer forum) is not the thing someone who claims to be:
Lol I am such a nerd on design
should be doing…

;)

Angelo95210
Oct 15, 2009, 04:07 AM
Yeah no worries guys I have already seen this table in the catalog. And I almost felt in love with this arty look. Though it sounds a little girly I am easy with :D

The only thing I need to check when I will go back to the store is if I have to change the feet. But think here in France you get this desk for just €89 (around $110), so it's not a bad deal beside that !

I can't wait to post pictures of the neatest desk of MacRumors ever ! :D

Angelo95210
Oct 15, 2009, 04:09 AM
Neither but that's just my opinion. I think it's the ridiculous shape of the "legs" that puts me off the most.

Yeah I don't like the legs as well. But you can still change them after so...

both are ugly

I get your point. Taste is not universal ;)

iBlue
Oct 15, 2009, 04:14 AM
Yeah, I think you can change legs/footings/whatever IKEA calls them. I would, those look like bruises waiting for an ankle to happen upon.

Pika
Oct 15, 2009, 04:48 AM
Those flowers doesn't match with the iMac.

Angelo95210
Oct 15, 2009, 04:59 AM
Yeah, I think you can change legs/footings/whatever IKEA calls them. I would, those look like bruises waiting for an ankle to happen upon.

Hurt ankle, cutting broken glass... this desk sounds like a death machine haha

arkitect
Oct 15, 2009, 05:02 AM
Those flowers doesn't match with the iMac.

Easily fixed…

;)

http://macmagazine.uol.com.br/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/13-imac_flower_power.jpg

JajoPGH
Oct 15, 2009, 11:40 AM
I bought a black glass Galant with chrome legs. I love it. It's strong and it was relatively cheap.

Check those out. You can get different finishes for the desktop (ie. wood, white glass, etc)

AC Rempt
Oct 17, 2009, 04:34 PM
I have the first one and use it as a work/drawing table, so I keep it slanted. That's one of the real advantages to this model, along with the glass section you can use as a light box. It's very sturdy, and after over a year of heavy use, it's holding up just fine. The legs do take some space, but it's not that much of an issue for me.

I don't think I'd use it as a computer desk, though.

GGJstudios
Oct 18, 2009, 09:41 AM
Just and fyi, the glass desk is very heavy so if you dont live in a 1st floor or private home it could be hard to get in and assemble.....
That's nonsense. The glass top only weighs 70 lbs. That's very light and easy to carry. Assembly is simply setting the glass top on the legs. There may be good arguments for not getting glass, but yours isn't one of them.

I work on a glass desk all day. It's quite comfortable, functional and attractive, winter or summer.

OP: By the way, you can buy the glass top and use it with different legs, including the ones shown in the other desk you pictured. So if you like the top but not the legs, buy the glass separately and buy whatever support you prefer.

Angelo95210
Oct 27, 2009, 05:44 AM
Guys, thanks to you I have a much clearer vision on what to choose. I know these trestles are ugly as well ;) so I found a new model. But browsing the Ikea catalog I just found a new desk as well !! I am desperate lol I need your advice for the last time ! :)

Choice #1 : Glass desk with flowers (trestles would be same but black)
http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/7760/screenshot20091027at112.pnghttp://img43.imageshack.us/img43/8086/bureauikeavikaglasholm2.jpg

Choice #2 : Glass desk with text (trestles would be same but black)
http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/7837/screenshot20091027at112r.pnghttp://img33.imageshack.us/img33/2599/16963862224fa3840496.jpg

Choice #3 : Iron desk (both plate and feet)
http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/7760/screenshot20091027at112.pnghttp://img27.imageshack.us/img27/3729/81685pe206594s4a.jpg

So what do you guys think ? 1, 2 or 3 ?? :p

jodelli
Oct 28, 2009, 01:33 AM
This one

Angelo95210
Oct 28, 2009, 03:33 AM
Lol stop kidding me you musician :-p

Ag3nt-Orang3
Oct 28, 2009, 02:52 PM
So what do you guys think ? 1, 2 or 3 ?? :p

I prefer the one with text, it seems really cool though I do not know what it says on there.

However, I hate the look of those tressels unless you like the look of a carpenter's desk. It looks like that tabletop should have a saw and power tools on top of it.

GGJstudios
Oct 28, 2009, 06:04 PM
I prefer the one with text, it seems really cool though I do not know what it says on there.

However, I hate the look of those tressels unless you like the look of a carpenter's desk. It looks like that tabletop should have a saw and power tools on top of it.

The one with text has the word "Love" in multiple languages. The trestle looks good in black... the beige does look too rustic.

Angelo95210
Oct 28, 2009, 07:34 PM
Yeah I think they are really bad pictured here but in black they are not so bad... Thank you guy for your advice I love as well the "Love" motif...

Ag3nt-Orang3
Oct 28, 2009, 08:06 PM
It's not the color I have a qualm with; it's the positioning. The stands look so restricting on space for your legs. If they were positioned the other way you would have a significant amount more room...but, of course, this is one person's opinion :p